Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Daybreak Games Announces Planetside Arena - a Second Battle Royale Game from DGC - MMORPG.com News

Comments

• AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,836
    Fucking gross and pathetic, but what else could we expect of SOE/Daybreak.
  • ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    edited December 2018
    So . why wouldnt i just play PS2 , which has what this offers and tons more ...
    tinoberserkLasterbaLokeroNilden
  • RaapnaapRaapnaap Member UncommonPosts: 455
    Not my cup of tea, the BR genre is just not that entertaining to me, so I'll stick to PS2.

Silver lining? PS2 subscribers get PS:A for free, so at least they aren't charging existing players to pay for mostly the same product a second time.
  • GroqstrongGroqstrong Member RarePosts: 815
    Lol pass. Not supporting.

• WellspringWellspring Member EpicPosts: 1,464
    Hard Pass!
    --------------------------------------------
  • Grunt350Grunt350 Member UncommonPosts: 57
    edited December 2018
    Let's see how long this will last until the end of the next year.
  • FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,967
    • Reuse pre-existing in-game assets.
    • Change some rule sets.
    • Don't address any of the issues that drove players away.
    • Make announcement of BR

These companies are creatively shit. Don't blame the players, don't blame Fortnite or PUBG, blame the idiots who think Fornites success means they can loot a some of the the market share crumbs for the quick flip. All these folks are tone deaf to credibility, context, perception and sentiment.

Metrics exist to mitigate loss, and that's why so many losers live and die by the "numbers" like this. Daybreak is a loser developer that takes a losers approach to appease shareholders. Anyone who does a battle royale game without the intention of absolutely disrupting the status quo is a loser playing not to lose.
    MadFrenchieinfomatzTacticalZombeh
    "As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • EponyxDamorEponyxDamor Member RarePosts: 749
    lmfao
  • NildenNilden Member EpicPosts: 3,916
    • Reuse pre-existing in-game assets.
    • Change some rule sets.
    • Don't address any of the issues that drove players away.
    • Make announcement of BR

These companies are creatively shit. Don't blame the players, don't blame Fortnite or PUBG, blame the idiots who think Fornites success means they can loot a some of the the market share crumbs for the quick flip. All these folks are tone deaf to credibility, context, perception and sentiment.

Metrics exist to mitigate loss, and that's why so many losers live and die by the "numbers" like this. Daybreak is a loser developer that takes a losers approach to appease shareholders. Anyone who does a battle royale game without the intention of absolutely disrupting the status quo is a loser playing not to lose.
    So much this.

All Planetside Arena should have been is a game mode in Planetside 2.

This is shameless, and creatively bankrupt.

Also I'm genuinely surprised it wasn't a mobile piece of garbage.

"You CAN'T buy ships for RL money." - MaxBacon

"classification of games into MMOs is not by rational reasoning" - nariusseldon

Love Minecraft. And check out my Youtube channel OhCanadaGamer

Try a MUD today at http://www.mudconnect.com/ 

• EMoneyEMoney Member UncommonPosts: 52
    How the hell do they figure they'll actually be able to matchmake 500 people into a single match, repeatedly? They would need thousands and thousands of concurrent players, and that is just not going to happen. So either matches will launch with 50 people, or you'll just be waiting for hours.

PS1 was a real gem of a game, it was ahead of it's time, and I loved every minute of it until they instituted caves and mechs. PS2 has been a halfbaked mess since it's inception, and hasn't gotten much better in my experience, it's still janky, overmonetized, and not very fun. This seems to be continuing the trend, slopping together a Battle Royale version of an already underpopulated and janky franchise, while firing 70 people and not producing any new IP's or other real content for any other games.

Anyone willing to give them $20/$40 bucks for this is out of their goddamned minds, and DBG/the twitching corpse of SOE/Smed's lich-revenant of a game dev should just be left to quietly fold and think abotu their actions rather than be reinforced by purchases of this game.
  • VandarixVandarix Member UncommonPosts: 177
    edited December 2018
    Enough Battle Royales please... the only one that would make sense is an actual Medieval style battle royale
  • TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,163

Vandarix said:

Enough Battle Royales please... the only one that would make sense is an actual Medieval style battle royale

?
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• XarkoXarko Member EpicPosts: 1,180
    I expected to be disappointed and I'm pleasantly surprised.. they managed to top it off to make me even more disappointed.
    SovrathWellspring
  • Mackaveli44Mackaveli44 Member RarePosts: 710

Laughing my muthafuckin' ass off.

Daybreak has zero creative bones in their entire office.

It's sad isn't it what Daybreak has become?
    MadFrenchieTacticalZombeh
  • phoenixfire2phoenixfire2 Member UncommonPosts: 228
    Yay another BR game for me to ignore.
  • KumaponKumapon Member EpicPosts: 1,563
    At some point people need to stop supporting DBG for their stupidity. They may never learn their lesson but I say this about any and all studios that continue to make ignorant decisions.

How in the world does DBG not understand that BR's are completely over saturated at this point, and it's Fortnite's world. Make the next big thing that no one has thought of yet, or give your fans what they want, which I feel is the next instalment to their only IP worth talking about, Everquest. 

I get it. This is probably a billion times easier to make, maintain, and support compared to a MMORPG, but this is too little, too late, and i'm not sure if people would have cared either way.
  • KitsunamiKitsunami Member UncommonPosts: 101
    Hahaha hahaha. Hah.

Sign of a dieng company
  • KitsunamiKitsunami Member UncommonPosts: 101
    Had to leave a serious comment Day breaks fanbase are ever quest and planetside 1 players. A proper ever quest 1 remake with improved ui would make bank. As would a planetside 1 remake.
  • Asch126Asch126 Member RarePosts: 543
    And Planetside is dead ladies and gentlement, it was finally killed for a shit Battle Royale.
  • VandarixVandarix Member UncommonPosts: 177
    Tiller said:

Vandarix said:

?
    In other words, Battle Royales are like what DayZ Zombie craze was a few years ago. Everyone is making one and 90% of them suck. It won't be long till we have 4 or 5 Battle Royale TV series.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • H0urg1assH0urg1ass Member EpicPosts: 2,380
    Kumapon said:
    At some point people need to stop supporting DBG for their stupidity. They may never learn their lesson but I say this about any and all studios that continue to make ignorant decisions.

How in the world does DBG not understand that BR's are completely over saturated at this point, and it's Fortnite's world. Make the next big thing that no one has thought of yet, or give your fans what they want, which I feel is the next instalment to their only IP worth talking about, Everquest. 

I get it. This is probably a billion times easier to make, maintain, and support compared to a MMORPG, but this is too little, too late, and i'm not sure if people would have cared either way.
    Same reason they still try to clone the WOW formula.  Its a sad treadmill but Fortnite is the WoW of this genre and there is no way a PS BR game is going to even dent that population.  

Besides who knows DBG for ANYTHING at all positive?  Dont worry I will wait...........<crickets>
    They bought out SOE and fired Smedley... I mean getting Smedley as far away from MMO's as possible has to be a good thing right?
  • craftseekercraftseeker Member RarePosts: 1,740
    H0urg1ass said:
    Kumapon said:

Same reason they still try to clone the WOW formula.  Its a sad treadmill but Fortnite is the WoW of this genre and there is no way a PS BR game is going to even dent that population.  

Besides who knows DBG for ANYTHING at all positive?  Dont worry I will wait...........<crickets>
    They bought out SOE and fired Smedley... I mean getting Smedley as far away from MMO's as possible has to be a good thing right?
    Nope Daybreak Games is SOE, simply trading under a new name. The ownership has changed, it was Sony and is now an investment group, but it is the same company. As for Smedley, yes he left DBG but he now works for Amazon and is still involved in MMOs.
  • LasterbaLasterba Member UncommonPosts: 137
    edited December 2018
    Did any of you guys watch the trailer??  This isn't even a Battle Royale game...this is literally just Planetside 2 with a smaller map.  It's a large group vs. another large group with tanks, jets, vehicles, etc...

The difference between this game and Planetside 2 is that Planetside 2 is even bigger and can host more simultaneous players.  Why the fuck does this game even exist?

They could start a Planetside Arena match inside a currently running Planetside 2 server and no one would be able to tell that something weird was going on.
    SBFord
  • sneakerz007sneakerz007 Member UncommonPosts: 95
    SBFord said:
    I find it kind of...underwhelming, I guess....after laying off 70 people last week....no extra hands were needed to make it, it seems.
    no kidding. no wonder this company is dying no new games, nothing inspiring and just a rehash of what they already have.