Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Jedi Under Siege is Underwhelming and Undercooked - MMORPG.com

MikeBMikeB Community ManagerAdministrator RarePosts: 6,555
edited December 2018 in News & Features Discussion

imageJedi Under Siege is Underwhelming and Undercooked - MMORPG.com

The last few updates were part of BioWare’s attempt to put the genie back in the bottle by knocking the Eternal Alliance down a few pegs. Jedi Under Siege is the first real step towards a full course correction and return to the game’s roots as a story of conflict between the Sith Empire and Galactic Republic. The problem is that, at least so far, it’s about as awkward as I expected it to be.

Read the full story here

Phry

Comments

• ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534
    edited December 2018
    sooo, they once again went full WoW?
    promise war, deliver it with pve? yep. whatever.

reason i left WoW (once again), and most likely the reason i won't bother picking up on TOR again ^^

war is nothing that should be sold in pve when you have 2 opposing bloody factions WITH PLAYERS
    [Deleted User]AlomarDarkpigeoninfomatzv_VeScot

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

• KalebGraysonKalebGrayson Member RarePosts: 430
    I don't think this is going to happen, but this was, in my opinion, the PERFECT opportunity for faction transfers in game.  Align your dark side Jedi with the Empire for example.  Double Agent story with the Agent.  Bounty Hunter now for the Republic.  Trooper for the Empire.  It's so obvious.  I like this game because it's Star Wars and it has some really cool stuff, but sometimes I sit back and just shake my head at the stuff they miss or mess up (like the Advanced Classes - not being able to swap back and forth).
    WhiteLanternsumdumguy1Octagon7711HarikenAlomarinfomatz
  • gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    I suspect most SWTOR players will just be happy that it is still getting new content.
    Octagon7711AmathemrputtsGorweinfomatzDakeruScot
  • JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,965
    What a surprise.....not.
  • sumdumguy1sumdumguy1 Member RarePosts: 1,373
    gervaise1 said:
    I suspect most SWTOR players will just be happy that it is still getting new content.
    This appears to be accurate.  Tons of people coming back, many people liking it and talking about the possibilities.  Remember they said this is more of a attention getter for the expansion that is coming.  This was not the big enchilada as some people seem to think and suggest.  

psychosiz1Octagon7711Huntrezzklash2defgervaise1Valentina
  • psychosiz1psychosiz1 Member UncommonPosts: 200
     Remember they said this is more of a attention getter for the expansion that is coming.  This was not the big enchilada as some people seem to think and suggest.  

This right here.  I play this game fairly regularly and my understanding as well.   Its more of a here's something to do before the expansion is released.
    Huntrezz
  • alkarionlogalkarionlog Member EpicPosts: 3,584
    I don't think this is going to happen, but this was, in my opinion, the PERFECT opportunity for faction transfers in game.  Align your dark side Jedi with the Empire for example.  Double Agent story with the Agent.  Bounty Hunter now for the Republic.  Trooper for the Empire.  It's so obvious.  I like this game because it's Star Wars and it has some really cool stuff, but sometimes I sit back and just shake my head at the stuff they miss or mess up (like the Advanced Classes - not being able to swap back and forth).
    and taht is why this game is still up, because its a star wars, that my friends is the whole problem with this game, any other game would have pulled the plug by now
    FOR HONOR, FOR FREEDOM.... and for some money.
  • venatisvenatis Member UncommonPosts: 42
    I didn't like the Empire side, I thought it was really boring and I spent the majority of my time running through the story going... 'Okay, but am I actually doing here? Why am I needed?'

The Republic side is better. Still not great but there is a clear difference in quality. The way information is delivered is different, characters are more interesting and they actually interact with one another. The reason why we're on Ossus makes more sense. Also sets up the expansion a bit better too. Not sure if they had two different writers for both but the flow is much better.

Malora is an insufferable character. I don't know why they chose to make her like that, she could have been interesting. And Malgus' return was terrible. Very underwhelming for him. His introduction in the Republic side is better but still crap.

The missions are uninspired in both though. Boring things we've done before several times.
  • 3dom3dom Member RarePosts: 889
    Hopefully, their Anthem will be better than this. After all whole SWTOR was a hot mess from the beginning with their stupid engine choice.

Thank you for your time!

• HorusraHorusra Member EpicPosts: 4,411
    Thane said:

reason i left WoW (once again), and most likely the reason i won't bother picking up on TOR again ^^

war is nothing that should be sold in pve when you have 2 opposing bloody factions WITH PLAYERS

Except the PvP players are outnumbered by the PvE players.
  • azarhalazarhal Member RarePosts: 1,402
    edited December 2018
    venatis said:

Malora is an insufferable character. I don't know why they chose to make her like that
    She was insufferable on Korrigan already, I always sell her out to her master she's trying to backstab. Always.
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    Hopefully this will be a good setup for the next chapter. It would be interesting if characters could switch sides or become double agents secretly working for the other side. What would also be interesting if your crew were divided by this decision with some leaving and some from the other side coming to work for you. Lots of possibilities here.
    Huntrezz

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• parpinparpin Member UncommonPosts: 220
    edited December 2018
    i got a bug with jaesa, i got both light side and dark side jaesa lol, so i have 2 jaesa in my contact list, i romanced both of them so i got to kiss jaesa twice lol, but yeah if small patch like this brings number of bugs, their so called expansion will be super buggy.
  • BakgrindBakgrind Member UncommonPosts: 423
    "There was also considerable anxiety over bugs that have plagued the update. There were issues discovered early on after the update’s deployment that required a server shut down and roll back." And this issue is the reason why more fans did not like their episodic content releases that Bioware wanted to implement. Can you imagine the amount of angst that would of generate to the fan base whilst having to endure broken and buggy content on a monthly bases?
    Octagon7711
  • BakgrindBakgrind Member UncommonPosts: 423

Thane said:

Speaking for myself I always found that the pvp in WOW to be better than SWTOR in every possible way.
  • TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,163
    3dom said:
    Hopefully, their Anthem will be better than this. After all whole SWTOR was a hot mess from the beginning with their stupid engine choice.
    Well if you played Warframe you already played Anthem.
    Huntrezzesc-joconnorpsychosiz1
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• HarikenHariken Member EpicPosts: 2,680

I would love this so much. In star wars people do switch sides. The could have a betrayer style quest that you would have to ge through like in EQ2. This game swtor really could have been great without Bio-ware/EA just stepping on your neck nickle and diming you. If they did add something like this EA would make it a cash shop thing. Whats the point in playing swtor if your not subbed to it. The restrictions are still the worse. The game is dying and they know it.
    bartoni33
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Wait,  a MMORPG that has always been underwhelming since it launched has released the same in an expansion? 

Go figure.

H0urg1ass

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• KataalKataal Member UncommonPosts: 173
    It's strange that the writers of almost every article I've read so far only focuses on the Empire storyline while the comments all say the Republic side is far better. Do all MMO journalists only play Sith or what?
    Huntrezz
  • phoenixfire2phoenixfire2 Member UncommonPosts: 228

Tiller said:

3dom said:

Not even remotely close to the truth, but if it were that wouldn't be too terrible of a thing since Warframe is a solid offering if you're into looter shooters.
  • Jester135Jester135 Member UncommonPosts: 21
    Just a prelude to something bigger, kinda like shadow of revan before the eternal throne storyline
    Dr_Binks
  • HJ-NavarreHJ-Navarre Hero's Journey GMMember UncommonPosts: 104
    For the story telling alone, it is still one of my favorite MMOs to date, despite its flaws. I would love to see them port the game off of Hero Engine and expand SWG-style. Not going to happen, though, unless I win Powerball and fund it myself :)
  • someforumguysomeforumguy Member RarePosts: 4,088
    edited December 2018
    Needs more features, not just more story. I always burn out fast in SWTOR because there is barely anything to do besides the story. Space is an arcade game, crafting is done by your companions and there is (like in many modern MMORPG's) no point to housing. PVP is mediocre, but then to be fair it most often is in a MMORPG.

I loved certain class stories (agent, BH for example), but after class story you get funneled in this one size fits all story that can be ridiculous depending on the choices you made during class story. Making it feel very disconnected.

God, I miss MMORPG's that came up with more features with expansions, instead of just more of the same.
  • ValentinaValentina Member RarePosts: 2,079
    It's basically just a teaser episode for the next expansion, but I honestly really liked it. I love that they made a large open space planet again, and for maybe the first time ever in this game I was impressed visually by what they did with that library/temple place. It felt epic, it was beautiful, and genuinely felt like Star Wars. If it's any sign of what's to come in the expansion, then I am actually looking forward to it.
    psychosiz1
  • TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,163

Tiller said:

3dom said:

Not even remotely close to the truth, but if it were that wouldn't be too terrible of a thing since Warframe is a solid offering if you're into looter shooters.
    I never stated Anthem was terrible, but I happen to be in the position to know that they share a quite few similarities, and if your can't afford to buy Anthem at launch, Warframe would be a suitable replacement.
    psychosiz1
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter