Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

One Studio Would Have Earned +$350k If Its Game Could Have Launched on Epic - MMORPG.com News

Comments

• JeffSpicoliJeffSpicoli Member EpicPosts: 2,849
    edited December 2018

SBFord said:

Better 30% selling millions than 12% for hundreds...players don't want another launcher.

Players didn't want an all-in-one digital launcher a decade ago either. They wanted to keep buying physical discs. 

Life evolves. Games -- even game launchers -- follow suit.

Much like Life , Things need to evolve for the better not for the worse and for the consumer the Epic store is worse. No forums no option to review the game and only two returns per account. Sorry Susie but that's a very one-sided deal. I could understand if you are in the industry how supporting a private launcher makes sense but as a consumer, gamer, Nothing good comes from publishers/studios giving us another platform to buy games on. 
    RexKushmanFacelessSaviorGobstopper3D
    • Aloha Mr Hand ! 

• WalkinGlennWalkinGlenn Member RarePosts: 451
    All valve has to do is match the price until epic gives up with trying to be a steam competitor. Gabe's swimming in money so no biggie
  • MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196
    This is why all major publishers now have their own launcher. STEAM is not been needed for years.

The only game I bought this year from STEAM was Bless and thats only because it was exclusive to STEAM.
  • HashbrickHashbrick Member RarePosts: 1,851
    Mikeha said:
    This is why all major publishers now have their own launcher. STEAM is not been needed for years.

The only game I bought this year from STEAM was Bless and thats only because it was exclusive to STEAM.
    I mean I'd just keep that to yourself.  Buying one of the worst MMOs of all time on a platform you have no interest in.  Big yikes.
    JeffSpicoliFacelessSaviorrojoArcueidphoenixfire2TacticalZombehKyleran
    [[ DEAD ]] - Funny - I deleted my account on the site using the cancel account button.  Forum user is separate and still exists with no way of deleting it. Delete it admins. Do it, this ends now.
  • XasapisXasapis Member RarePosts: 6,337
    I keep seeing people say they will not purchase a game from another launcher, and honestly I'm calling BS. Once the next new title comes, player will use what ever means they can to get that title. If Star Wars Galaxies suddenly came back, but wasn't supported by Daybreak, and the development studio decided to launch using Epic, they would have no problem at all pulling in people by the masses.

Some of you need to stop being so petty with stuff, enjoy life and the small things sometimes.
    For now it seems that Epic store is too developer friendly oriented and not that customer friendly. Of course it may just be growing pains and things will change in the future. However, as things are right now, your purchasing decisions, good and bad, are more secure on the Steam store. Then we'll have to see how much censorship will be in Epic store. And last, how good the discounts will be for games that will eventually become older.
    JeffSpicoliobii
  • MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196
    edited December 2018
    Hashbrick said:
    Mikeha said:

I mean I'd just keep that to yourself.  Buying one of the worst MMOs of all time on a platform you have no interest in.  Big yikes.

Nah, I am going to say it out loud for you and any other hater to hear it. 

Why would I care about how you feel when you mean nothing to me? You dont like Bless then feel free not to play but dont tell me what I should be saying because YOU feel its a bad game. 

These forum floaters are everywhere you go now. :s

Renndgervaise1alkarionloginfomatz
  • WhiteLanternWhiteLantern Member RarePosts: 3,309
    This is why free-market competition is good for everyone.

I want a mmorpg where people have gone through misery, have gone through school stuff and actually have had sex even. -sagil

• TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297
    Plus Steam does a hell of a lot of marketing work. That's what you're paying Steam for, taking care of a lot of the marketing and continuing it.. forever.

If Epic's store meets the marketing standards of Steam, expect them to raise the percentage they take because it takes a lot of work and constant change.
    JeffSpicoli
    I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • ChildoftheShadowsChildoftheShadows Member EpicPosts: 2,193
    edited December 2018
    I guess developers can just charge More for those that insist on using steam to make up the difference.
  • 3dom3dom Member RarePosts: 889
    Actually they'd earn ~0$ because almost nobody use Epic store while (for example) I visit Steam few times a day.

However Steam marketing support is overestimated as you can see actually great games in "new releases" section with ~0 reviews (and sales). Steam mostly support games which sells well due to devs' own marketing effort.

Thank you for your time!

• ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    edited December 2018
    Lol yes ... heres a thought , ....
    Maybe if you had properly supported your EA project that released last Feb , ....

Maybe if you didnt go dark at times as a an Indie dev and stayed in touch with your community ..

Maybe if you had fixed some of the bugs that players have been ecountering for a near a year now ..

and Maybe if focused on completing BF1944 instead of the  recent announcement promising to continue work on BF1944 while you start another project  for SE , the community would have more faith and continue to support your product ..

Maybe you would of had better sales on STeam if this was not the case ..   GL tho
    RexKushman
  • WellspringWellspring Member EpicPosts: 1,464
    On a related note, if I would have invested $100 in the Amazon IPO in 1997, I would now have $100,000+ today.
    JeffSpicoliinfomatz
    --------------------------------------------
  • NildenNilden Member EpicPosts: 3,916
    edited December 2018
    You mean you would have earned $350k if Steam only charged 12% instead of 30%.

Pretty sure they could put it on the Epic store and find out just how well it would sell there.

Of course then it wouldn't be click bait.

Edit: Also someone is making toilet paper math look legit.

"You CAN'T buy ships for RL money." - MaxBacon

"classification of games into MMOs is not by rational reasoning" - nariusseldon

Love Minecraft. And check out my Youtube channel OhCanadaGamer

Try a MUD today at http://www.mudconnect.com/ 

• LokeroLokero Member RarePosts: 1,514
    I guess developers can just charge More for those that insist on using steam to make up the difference.

No, they can't.  Read my earlier post in this thread.  It's against Steam's rules to undercut them on another platform.

In other words, you can't charge Steam customers more than Epic customers to make up for the revenue cut.
  • gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    Bloodaxes said:
    SBFord said:
    Bloodaxes said:
    Well, that's largely speculation.

Some people want all their games organised in a single application. They might have had less people buying it if they went for the epic client.
    I don't think what he wrote is speculating on how many copies it would have sold on Epic, but more to illustrate how big a difference there is between 12% of revenue taken for distribution over 30%. It's more than double and to a small studio, that can be massive.

At this rate, more and more new games -- heck, maybe even "old" games -- will shift to Epic. 

I wonder if games that are currently on Steam will remain there even if devs decide to publish on Epic for newer games? I can't imagine current Steam games suddenly moving to Epic -- I mean, what would happen to player data (progression, characters, purchases, etc.)?
    That's obviously true. However, epic being newer it might make buyers reluctant on buying from another application. Steam's popularity might make people buy it more which would result in that difference in revenue being insignificant.

This is still too early to tell. Epic is not the first company, and won't be the last trying to overtake steam. 
    Whilst true that the comment is based on the assumption that the game sold as many on Epic as on Steam and - as you say this may not be so since Steam is an established platform with a "Steam" customer base - it is also possible (likely) that there are Fortnite players are not Steam customers and that some of those might have bought the game.

As @SBFord suggests this was probably intended to be illustrative but the potential for variance goes both ways. 
  • seldinseldin Member UncommonPosts: 196
    Steam offers so much more than just a launcher to the publisher. It offers its customer base. Steam has what other physical companies have buying power. They offer their 125m+ active users/customers. It is the same reason that Walmart/Amazon Etc. get the product they sell cheaper than mom and pop shops. Volume matters. Indie developers depend on volume and do not have the luxury of being picky. Big Studios such as Blizzard/EA etc. already have an established player base/customers and don't need Steam to make it available to their clients. Using his same reasoning he could have made 100% of the profits if they had self published but then they would have had maybe 1% of the sales.
    JeffSpicoli
  • A.BlacklochA.Blackloch Member UncommonPosts: 842
    All this drum rolling about Epic Store but nothing really happens. At least yet.
    I was kind of expecting more but the platform is quite plain, game selection very limited and lot of it just seems like future promises. It is a noble idea but a regular gamer really has no benefits in jumping from Steam to Epic store.
    JeffSpicoli
  • VandarixVandarix Member UncommonPosts: 177
    edited December 2018
    Yeah, I get it. But I would not have purchased the game if it wasn't on steam. I like having all my games in one easy access location. To be honest Discord store has a better chance of transferring me than anyone else.
  • ChildoftheShadowsChildoftheShadows Member EpicPosts: 2,193
    Steam provides some good services, as do both app stores, but that doesn't mean the cut they take isn't a problem.
  • AlverantAlverant Member RarePosts: 1,320
    That would only be true if Epic Games was on as many computers as Steam. It isn't and it won't be until they start implementing better consumer protections (like a REAL "no questions asked" return policy and privacy policies that comply with EU law).
  • DerrosDerros Member UncommonPosts: 1,216
    edited December 2018
    If Epic ever manages to get Bloodborne on PC like Journey, Day 1 purchase. Probably convert alot of other people too.
  • MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    Steam provides some good services, as do both app stores, but that doesn't mean the cut they take isn't a problem.
    I agree, Steam deserves revenue for the community infrastructure and hosting services, but 30% seems large.

Is there a hosting/portal service industry baseline for these kinds of contracts to compare it against?

• WellspringWellspring Member EpicPosts: 1,464
    I agree, Steam deserves revenue for the community infrastructure and hosting services, but 30% seems large.

Is there a hosting/portal service industry baseline for these kinds of contracts to compare it against?
    Sounds like the new baseline is 12% :wink:
    MadFrenchieLokeroobii
    --------------------------------------------
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,001

steam will monitor this new store and if it looks like it's getting any traction they will make an announcement about lowering their cut to match the competition. 10%?

And if they are smart (or if I was running it) they will announce that for the next week they will only take a 5% cut so stock up on your best games!

It's completely a non-issue for steam unless this new store suddenly becomes so amazing that everyone wants to jump ship NOW!

Don't see how that would happen.
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    edited December 2018
    Sovrath said:

steam will monitor this new store and if it looks like it's getting any traction they will make an announcement about lowering their cut to match the competition. 10%?

And if they are smart (or if I was running it) they will announce that for the next week they will only take a 5% cut so stock up on your best games!

It's completely a non-issue for steam unless this new store suddenly becomes so amazing that everyone wants to jump ship NOW!

Don't see how that would happen.
    It becomes an issue when/if revelatory successes such as Ark or, say, another Fortnite type becomes exclusive to Epic's platform.  Those kinds of titles aren't completely dependent upon the exposure Steam provides, and they can build a base for Epic's platform that makes it more attractive to devs who don't wanna cough up 30% when they can only cough up 12%.

Steam offers more support in the form of the workshop and forums, but considering the popularity of Nexus with the modding community and it's purpose-built mod manager (and the small percentage of Steam users that use their forums with any regularity), I'm not sure those services are worth an extra 18%.