Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Bethesda Publishes Extensive Fallout 76 Patch Notes - MMORPG.com

2»

Comments

• MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    edited December 2018
    Torval said:
    Torval said:
    Aeander said:
    rodarin said:
    The last two patches (the only major patches) both had pretty extensive notes. The last patch had some issues so they went back in and fixed those a couple days later but the notes for that werew less than steller but fixes should have been obvious.

Again the amount of flack these guys are getting is amazing.

If it were Chris Roberts getting this much widespread hate there would be a whole new army of new accounts made to obfuscate and misdirect every FO76 topic.

Luckily though SC is completely perfect and no criticisms of that project are needed at all....
    Bollocks.

Your comparison fundamentally does not work because Bethesda has gotten a free pass for years. They are a beloved company, and more people feel surprised and betrayed by Fallout 76 than contemptuous, and there is more than enough defense of the game.

A more accurate comparison would be that if EA released Fallout 76, no one would be defending it and they would be burned at the stake. How do I know this? Because we did it to them last year with Mass Effect Andromeda, and even that canned mediocrity is a better game than Fallout 76 is, was, or ever will be.
    In particular, they got a ton of flak for the patch notes because they made a social media post reiterating their effort for greater transparency and communication (this was hot on the heels of the canvas bag fiasco) and then went on to make a bunch of undocumented changes in the patch right at the same time. I think it was more about how the left and right hands still aren't communicating even though they're "trying hard Sir, may I have another!".
    Bingo.

Bethesda intentionally moves to a title that locks out their modding community, tries to be cheapskates about the CE edition, and did all that while taking the franchise in a significantly new direction.  Then they showed other players your personal information when you tried to get the appropriate CE item you paid for.

They then said "okay, we understand, we're gonna be better.....  But not at this next opportunity.  The time after that, we mean!"

I knew the title was merely a time-passer and an injection of cash for Bethesda while they work on the projects they actually want to work on.  I didn't expect Bethesda to make that fact so painfully obvious to everyone.
    You definitely nailed it. LOL was the closest thing I could find to an "OUCH!" button for a reaction. :lol: I had a bunch of other insightful bullshit to post, but I erased it because what's the point really.

I do hope they iron this game out for its fans. It has potential.
    As cynical as I've been, I would like to see it, too.  Again, I really am loving my playthrough of Fallout 4, and the mods make it work better, but the stories, characters (in spite of FO4 not having the best in the franchise, admittedly), the environments and the ambience were all created by Bethesda.  And I'll likely pick up FO76 so long as Bethesda doesn't abandon it, but I don't want to pick it up until I feel confident it'll be roughly as comfortable a technical experience as what I'm getting with my modded FO4.

They have really good creative minds.  They just spend a little too much on those minds, and not enough on the perfectionist QA minds. :D 
    [Deleted User][Deleted User]

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,500
    Torval said:
    Torval said:
    Aeander said:
    rodarin said:
    The last two patches (the only major patches) both had pretty extensive notes. The last patch had some issues so they went back in and fixed those a couple days later but the notes for that werew less than steller but fixes should have been obvious.

If it were Chris Roberts getting this much widespread hate there would be a whole new army of new accounts made to obfuscate and misdirect every FO76 topic.

Luckily though SC is completely perfect and no criticisms of that project are needed at all....
    Bollocks.

Your comparison fundamentally does not work because Bethesda has gotten a free pass for years. They are a beloved company, and more people feel surprised and betrayed by Fallout 76 than contemptuous, and there is more than enough defense of the game.

A more accurate comparison would be that if EA released Fallout 76, no one would be defending it and they would be burned at the stake. How do I know this? Because we did it to them last year with Mass Effect Andromeda, and even that canned mediocrity is a better game than Fallout 76 is, was, or ever will be.
    In particular, they got a ton of flak for the patch notes because they made a social media post reiterating their effort for greater transparency and communication (this was hot on the heels of the canvas bag fiasco) and then went on to make a bunch of undocumented changes in the patch right at the same time. I think it was more about how the left and right hands still aren't communicating even though they're "trying hard Sir, may I have another!".
    Bingo.

Bethesda intentionally moves to a title that locks out their modding community, tries to be cheapskates about the CE edition, and did all that while taking the franchise in a significantly new direction.  Then they showed other players your personal information when you tried to get the appropriate CE item you paid for.

They then said "okay, we understand, we're gonna be better.....  But not at this next opportunity.  The time after that, we mean!"

I knew the title was merely a time-passer and an injection of cash for Bethesda while they work on the projects they actually want to work on.  I didn't expect Bethesda to make that fact so painfully obvious to everyone.
    You definitely nailed it. LOL was the closest thing I could find to an "OUCH!" button for a reaction. :lol: I had a bunch of other insightful bullshit to post, but I erased it because what's the point really.

I do hope they iron this game out for its fans. It has potential.
    As cynical as I've been, I would like to see it, too.  Again, I really am loving my playthrough of Fallout 4, and the mods make it work better, but the stories, characters (in spite of FO4 not having the best in the franchise, admittedly), the environments and the ambience were all created by Bethesda.  And I'll likely pick up FO76 so long as Bethesda doesn't abandon it, but I don't want to pick it up until I feel confident it'll be roughly as comfortable a technical experience as what I'm getting with my modded FO4.

They have really good creative minds.  They just spend a little too much on those minds, and not enough on the perfectionist QA minds. :D 
    You are missing out....  ;)

Was a bit rough after the patch at first, but things stabilized and I had a terrific fight with a horde of Super Mutants at the dam which netted me a power armor frame and a few nice armor pieces and fusion cores 

Got ambushed at my camp by a lvl 26 Mirelurk king and although he killed me twice my lowbie level 13 prevailed.

MadFrenchie

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,412
    Anyone who tells you to release a game before Christmas is dumb. You should release on December 26. You are looking at a lot of teenage men who got cash for Christmas with something to spend it on. There is no competition, and there is still speculation on the quality of your game. I think Bethesda went with the November 14th release because they always release on November 14th.
    Kyleran
  • SiveriaSiveria Member UncommonPosts: 1,419
    Still no text chat, something that even the oldest online games had. It makes me face palm.
    Kyleranbartoni33

Being a pessimist is a win-win pattern of thinking. If you're a pessimist (I'll admit that I am!) you're either:

A. Proven right (if something bad happens)

or

B. Pleasantly surprised (if something good happens)

Either way, you can't lose! Try it out sometime!

• rodarinrodarin Member EpicPosts: 2,611
    Some of the comments have been pure gold. One of the resident SC white knights talking about a 'wonky' game engine is priceless. Especially when that game, despite everything being claimed is still bugged and sloppy. Due in large part to an engine they have supposedly rebuilt 4 or 5 times and have also utilized aspects of a couple other iterations of it. Yeah its not released (thats the point) because if it ever does it will make whats going on with FO 76 look like perfection by comparison.\

I am not defending Bethesda overall, they made their bed. But theyre definitely going in the right direction at least in terms of the game and the gameplay itself. You can criticize their marketing or PR moves for sure. But I think those things are mutually exclusive.

Now if you want to go all conspiracy theory like I do sometimes. This could all be a big ploy between Bethesda and Obsideon for them to 'kill off' one franchise and jump start another. Since Bethesda has confirmed ES VI and Starfiled, but not FO 5 people can take it as they want. 

The closest thing anyone can point to for FO 5 and any 'official' comments was Howard answering some leading generic question (without getting specific himself) about these franchises going forward and how they would be single player focused. Comments made last summer in regards to the FO 76 hype and what people could expect from that.

So could be theyre trying to kill off Fall out and jump start Outer Worlds. With the genre starting to get extremely crowded and advancements seemingly (we wont know until these latest hypetrain games come out) going ahead leaps and bounds Fall Out might not be able to compete. At least technologically or aesthetically. Only thing it would have going for it would be the name recognition of the IP and nostalgia. Which according to stuff written in the past month has apparently been irrevocably destroyed. So why bother?

That will be another sweet irony. If FO 75 IS the final chapter of the Fall Out story and IP it will be awesome to read what all the people hating on it and saying all the shit theyre saying now will REALLY think if it truly is the end.

But with Outer Worlds, Cyberpunk, Far Cry (not really but comparisons will be made), Bio Mutant (maybe) and a few others competition is getting better and expectations are being raised. And like everyone likes to point out Bethesda is failing with the Fall Out franchise (and everything else too apparently). But it could all be by design.....
    Kyleran
  • asdfsdf34534asdfsdf34534 Member UncommonPosts: 52
    another great post from someone who's middle aged.
    Kyleran
  • ConstantineMerusConstantineMerus Member EpicPosts: 3,338
    Nyctelios said:
    Funny enough RDR2 is considered a masterpiece only by people who didn't reach half of it. The game goes in a free fall in narrative and gameplay quality... Yet few people mention it, because people play some seconds and jump on social media to praise or bash something.

I, to this day, am dealing with people coming to me asking "How can you play fo76!!?? The game has no story! Has no quests! Has no npcs."

And to quote the Master Jedi Luke Skywalker "Amazing. Everything you said on that phrase is wrong."
    I agree with the Fallout part but regarding RDR2 I just need the online trophies to 100 % it and I experienced no free fall mate. That a first-hand experience or you read about it somewhere?
    Constantine, The Console Poster

• "One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out of touch with their instinctive selves." - Carl Jung
    edited December 2018
    Siveria said:
    Still no text chat, something that even the oldest online games had. It makes me face palm.
    It probably would be a perfect game for text bubbles considering how few players are in each "world."

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• IlayaIlaya Member UncommonPosts: 661
    This Patch was very much needed. I have to admit that they fixed stuff but some things came back or still need fixing. But as we get another Patch on the 18th i look forward to that. Slowly the whole thing becomes more and more playable and Fun.

This Patch is a Step in the right direction and let's hope it will stay like this. I always have "No Mans Sky" in Mind; The Game was Crap when it was released, but over time with all the Patches it became good and also got way better Critics. So why can that not happen to Fallout 76 as well?

And ofc; Bethesda is a bigger Company and should have known better, but it is as it is and we, which enjoy it, have to deal with it. I'm looking forward to that gonna happen.
  • berlightberlight Member UncommonPosts: 345
    OMG AMAZING!!!!! We now have a push to talk button, a slider bar to set FoV and DoF and...listen to this guys... a 21:9 aspect ratio support!!! Ludicrous. I don't know if this is a joke or not.

Beta tester maniac

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    We should appreciate Bethesda's effort because it says ...EXTENSIVE !!.

I have always respected Square Enix for many years,lost some respect of late but has ANY developer ever honestly laid out 3 years of work AND got it done,because Square has.
    Then we get this developer after scamming people with rubbish are bragging about EXTENSIVE updates...lmao,,oh gee i am so thankful for Bethesda.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    So many devs selling us two bit second rate games,oh Blizzard has some heroes they want you to buy,some card packs to sell,look over their tons of survival games with no content and if you run short of places to spend your Christmas money there are LOADS of wanna be devs looking for FREE handouts.

Hmm i wonder if Kotick or Morheim will be singing Christmas carols at all those charities the brag about.Did you know Wargaming has ships in water and planes in the sky,yep who would have guessed,such EFFORT,yep go spend some money.

If i could pile all these sub par trashy games into one pile,i could reach another planet and find peace of mind and best of all NO Trump.
    Kyleran

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• sayuusayuu Member RarePosts: 766
    I like my patch changes like I like my fellow immigrants. . .documented
    bartoni33KyleranConstantineMerus
    berlight said:
    OMG AMAZING!!!!! We now have a push to talk button, a slider bar to set FoV and DoF and...listen to this guys... a 21:9 aspect ratio support!!! Ludicrous. I don't know if this is a joke or not.
    For what it's worth I don't require any of those to enjoy the game, well perhaps the push to talk eventually. 

Would have preferred they focus on some other stuff over FOV and aspect ratio issues.

I play games with the tools at hand rather than bitch about the conveniences they may lack.

Guess I'm just made of sterner stuff than most others...but then I knew that already.

:D

SovrathConstantineMerus

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,003
    Kyleran said:
    berlight said:
    For what it's worth I don't require any of those to enjoy the game, well perhaps the push to talk eventually. 

Would have preferred they focus on some other stuff over FOV and aspect ratio issues.

I play games with the tools at hand rather than bitch about the conveniences they may lack.

Guess I'm just made of sterner stuff than most others...but then I knew that already.

I whole heartedly agree.
    KyleranConstantineMerus
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • ApollosWillApollosWill Member UncommonPosts: 82
    edited December 2018
    Still enjoying the hell out of this game with my wife. Happy to grow with it.
    Was watching a Funny Fail video of RDR2 the other day and as someone else said, I dont understand why it get a pass on those bugs, which in many cases seem even more disruptive than the ones in Fallout 76.
    Not hating on RDR, just not understanding the hate on FO76.
  • SelzyrSelzyr Member UncommonPosts: 60
    so many sofa developers here today, this is kinda amusing to read.
    Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning. And the more you know Insanity, is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. But I can tell you that only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.
  • gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    rodarin said:

So you can confirm that Fallout 76 is in alpha then.
    [Deleted User]
  • AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    This game might actually be pretty good once it gets out of early access.
  • GinazGinaz Member RarePosts: 2,470
    A game so great that it's already on sale for 40%-50% off.
    [Deleted User]

Is a man not entitled to the herp of his derp?

Remember, I live in a world where juggalos and yugioh players are real things.

• MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    edited December 2018
    Kyleran said:
    berlight said:

Normally agree, but there's no reason to give a AAA publisher-backed dev a break on failing the development equivalent of crawling.
    [Deleted User]