Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

D&D Online, alive or dead?

Is Dungeons & Dragons Online still undergoing development and frequent updates?  Is there a large (and hopefully friendly) player base?  I saw an article that they're offering a 2-year sub deal, so I guess they plan to be around for at least that long.

Thanks!

Comments

• MightyUncleanMightyUnclean Member EpicPosts: 3,531
    It's completely alive!  I played it for about a week .... a couple of years ago.  And what a great week it was!  I think I even saw another player.
    That's encouraging!
    [Deleted User]
  • ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    edited December 2018
    Ive been playing latley , and its pretty active , found a good guild and have been runnin around on Sorrowdusk Isle and even had people lfg ..

May depend on server .. this experience is from Khyber
    YashaXOctagon7711
  • MightyUncleanMightyUnclean Member EpicPosts: 3,531
    Scorchien said:
    Ive been playing latley , and its pretty active , found a good guild and have been runnin around on Sorrowdusk Isle and even had people lfg ..

May depend on server .. this experience is from Khyber
    OK!  How much can you accomplish solo?  Does it depend on class and build?
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751
    I remember trying it about a year ago and wasnt abe to do anything....It was like sure you can sign up and download for free, but we arent going to let you access anything.
  • NeblessNebless Member RarePosts: 1,835
    OK!  How much can you accomplish solo?  Does it depend on class and build?
    I'm almost at lvl 14 (out of 30) totally solo so quite a lot actually.   Each dungeon has 4 settings; solo (1 lvl below), normal (on lvl), hard (1 above) and elite (2 above).  Free / Premium players have to start at solo or normal and then work up to elite, but that just gets you more loot and xp so not really a problem.   Run the dungeons on normal, than come back for hard, repeat for elite.

It does depend a bit on class and build.  When you create a character it'll show right when you pick a class how soloable it is.   And then within the class you can generally go 3 ways some of which are better at solo, AoE, heal etc....

With reference to the above poster lvl 1 through 10 there's a good number of free dungeons, get's slimmer the higher you go.

Yes it's F2p, but the best way to look at it is planning on throwing $20 at it from time to time to purchase some extra adventure packs to add to the number of free dungeons.

To your OP question; Yes DDO still going, in fact they just released another free dungeon (lvl 15) just this past week.  The last big expansion was this time last year.  Since then there's been 3? new dungeons released.

Population will vary depending on server and the time you play.  Best bet unless you know of a guild you'll be joining is to create on the default server that shows when you create. 
    gervaise1Octagon7711Lokero

SWG (pre-cu) - AoC (pre-f2p) - PotBS (pre-boarder) - DDO - LotRO (pre-f2p) - STO (pre-f2p) - GnH (beta tester) - SWTOR - Neverwinter

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    I remember trying it about a year ago and wasnt abe to do anything....It was like sure you can sign up and download for free, but we arent going to let you access anything.
    The Wizard 101 misleading caption...free to play.The terms TO PLAY,mean to play the game as intended because unless you specifically word it otherwise then it is not f2p.

Me,i got bored in the first hour,it is not even close enough to removing me from better options to play this.
    Octagon7711Gdemami

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• YashaXYashaX Member EpicPosts: 3,098
    DDO is such an awesome game, hope you have fun @MightyUnclean !

• JeffSpicoliJeffSpicoli Member EpicPosts: 2,849
    I'v got that bad MMO itch right now, So bad I'm actually reading responses about this game, so bad I'm considering going back to BFA and reaching endgame....... 
    • Aloha Mr Hand ! 

• alkarionlogalkarionlog Member EpicPosts: 3,584
    you can solo almost everything, save for raids (for obvious reasons) till 25 or so its soloable, after that the elite difficult will make it hard to happen, and in barovia, some quest are impossible to solo

game is alive and well, it could be ineteresting to merge some servers again, since most of the game is instanced, I don't see much reason to have more then one server, but pretty sure they would go all doom and gloom
    FOR HONOR, FOR FREEDOM.... and for some money.
  • TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297
    I've just started playing this again. I only played at launch and the D&D systems just overwhelmed me so I didn't stick around for long. I'm not a D&D kind of guy.

I'm glad I've eventually tried it again because I'm having a great time. I know it's old.. but it feels fresh to play something that isn't holding your hand and dumbed down to the point where a five year old could play it.

I think it's very underrated with the RPG crowd.

The population seems fine. It's not absolutely loaded with people but it's by no means dead.
    YashaX
    I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • ChildoftheShadowsChildoftheShadows Member EpicPosts: 2,193
    Been a while. Downloading now. Too bad Neverwinter hadn't taken on a formula closer to DDO.
    YashaX
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    They must be saving a lot of money on marketing because I seldom hear anything about this game, don't remember ever getting any email updates either as I played this a lot at launch long long ago.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• red_cruiserred_cruiser Member UncommonPosts: 486
    I haven't played DDO recently but I've played enough of everything else since to know that it would still offer a very unique MMO experience.
  • summerstringssummerstrings Member UncommonPosts: 76
    I've not played it for a while myself but my some of my lotro guild do and they tell me if you get the right server its still pretty active ( the right servers according to them are sarlona or ghallanda ). 

There is an expansion coming out for it called Sharn so I assume it's still getting decent updates , lotro also seems to be getting reasonable updates since Standing Stone took over . I have often thought about giving DDO a try again myself given I used to play the pen and paper game with friends back in the mid 1990's.
    I've not played it for a while myself but my some of my lotro guild do and they tell me if you get the right server its still pretty active ( the right servers according to them are sarlona or ghallanda ). 

There is an expansion coming out for it called Sharn so I assume it's still getting decent updates , lotro also seems to be getting reasonable updates since Standing Stone took over . I have often thought about giving DDO a try again myself given I used to play the pen and paper game with friends back in the mid 1990's.
    that is the funny thing last year I think starting the 4 trimester, we finally get the capes, before we didn't had then and it was something who was asked a lot, so in that regard, updates are not lacking

but like I said some servers really would make then better with as erver merge, or just make a huge single server, that would be even better
  • cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,100
    This is an excellent game. I really love it and it is not easy either. You must make sure you check your builds or you might screw up and have to start over.
    YashaX
    Chamber of Chains
    cheyane said:
    This is an excellent game. I really love it and it is not easy either. You must make sure you check your builds or you might screw up and have to start over.
    3.5 edition with a lot of revisions for the game, it had some char calc running around to play with builds
  • WenchesnmeadWenchesnmead Member UncommonPosts: 35
    I loved me some DDO back in the day. 

I tried to go back a few months ago but it really has aged horribly imho.

It just feels very old and somehow less polished than it did on release. 

I don't know how to explain it.

The feature i loved back then was how they had integrated voice into the game and it lead to some funny situations where some people clearly had no clue it was on and said some seriously inappropriate shit.

I remember it must have been a few days after launch and one dude was on voice, but his mic was effed beyond belief and every-time he spoke it sounded like the space shuttle launching. Another teammate chimes and in a heavy southern accent says " Dammit man , you playing this game off the top of a tractor trailer barreling down the highway? Its damned awful on my ears..."

I am laughing even thinking about that shit now.

It was amazing in its day. 

But when i went back it felt like a shell of what it was. I played for about 2 months but knew the magic was gone for me.

Definitely not enough players around and like i said the game felt like it aged very badly.
  • GoorlotGoorlot Newbie CommonPosts: 34
    Dead without a doubt. Just a bunch of VIP "veterans" running around grinding out their 100th past life.

I mean, the Shroud wouldn't have been hailed the best raid in the game up to date if there weren't people (PUGs and all that) around at the time to run it, right?
This discussion has been closed.