Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

No Buzz?

VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908
I am surprised that this title hasn't got anyone interested here enough to be talking about it. It looks to me, so far from what I have read, to be pretty damn close to a westernised Archeage. I was expecting the mmorpg community to be fully on board with a MMO with it's eyes on the mainstream launch in these days where the genre is really generally only seeing small niche projects.

Comments

• mcrippinsmcrippins Member RarePosts: 1,626
    edited December 2018
    1. They've kept it pretty quiet in regards to showing us actual content. There's some out there, but not much. Not gonna lie - I kinda love this.

2. There's a lot of ppl who do not like the developers because of some mistakes with Ark. Personally I could care less and loved Ark. It is a game that's way ahead of its time, and can't wait to see what these devs do here.
    KyleranVesavius[Deleted User]RexKushmanGrunt350JeffSpicoliJemAs666
  • RealizerRealizer Member RarePosts: 724
    It already got delayed till the 19th. I was excited till that was posted, it seems no gaming company can figure it out these days. 
    RexKushman
  • rodarinrodarin Member EpicPosts: 2,611
    They thought they would do the same thing as they did with ARK. When ARK came out there was zero about it. No one even heard about it. I bought it because it was cheap (at the time) and a couple people I bought owned it.

It was OK buggy as hell but some mod guys got a hold of it and it was playable (on unofficial servers). It grew and grew and within 5-6 months it was pretty awesome. Except for the performance and optimization issues.

Once they thought they had 'optimized' it enough to be passable Wildcard started doing what every other company does. Feature creeping (which was mostly borrowing from some of the best mods and putting it into the official game) adding reskins and calling them new dinos. Which was all well and good. But they never (and still havent AFAIK) fixed the major optimization issues.

You had to have a pretty decent rig to run it back in the day. Still do, but it is a lot better than it was but it still has a lot of major flaws in the performance department. But I remember when guys were posting about how excited they were getting 25-30 FPS with top of the line set ups. (with graphic setting that were even halfway decent).

And the language and excuses started in. talking about 10-20% increases in whatever they were trying to explain away. yeah 10-20% of zero is still zero. Then of course the bigger and more bloated it got the more and more the patches and updates started to get delayed.

Adding more dinosaurs to maps that were so small to begin with was an obvious detraction and they hoped it would make people forget the other stuff.

I was a huge ARK cheerleader until they started with the usual shit companies pull. Then when they went full %%#$@ and charged for a DLC (or was it expansion) while they were still protected by the Early Access shield set me off.

Now that didnt make the game itself any worse or better but it surely showed how these guys operated and were willing to operate. I still havent bought it. And since then I dont think I have played more than 4-5 hours in the game. Even with all the changes. But really at this point it isnt even a 'dinosaur' game anymore. They pretty much started steering it towards the streamers and 'content creators' and catered to what they thought would make them more view able. Again not saying if that made it better or worse just something people need to be aware of. And if you think streamers and 'content creators' wont be infesting Atlas (as long as its even halfway decent) then I dont know.

Cant help but draw the stuff Bethesda is getting right now into this somewhat. Mod makers and actual content creators (not streamers and people who pretend) help make a lot of mediocre Bethesda titles pretty awesome. If not for guys actually creating content and addons and mods for ARK I am not sure what it would have been or become. Biggest difference was ARK was online. 

Either way a lot of differing reasons why the hype for Atlas is measured. That and the MMO genre is dead. The lack of reception for this (what looks like a potentially awesome game on the surface) pretty much proves that out as well.
    JeffSpicoli
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    edited December 2018
    It's from the people who brought us Ark, so I'm unimpressed / not interested.

Probably be 2 or 3 years until playable.

Besides, points taken off for lack of an original name, Atlas Reactor just released a few years back.
    aleos

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Well op,we have seen many a marketing video and loads of promises and every dev says their game is sent from the heavens.

I think most of us feel it looks great on paper,looks great in the marketing video.Neither of those two ideas make a great game,so we have to wait and see,i am definitely not throwing my money away until i see an actual game.

Also remember that ARK was released in a terrible mess,the worst buggy game i have seen since EQ2/Vanguard.
    Now this is in a good way NOT done by the same team as ARK but the owner is the same so we might figure the owner would release a buggy mess again if need be.

So maybe we see a testing phase where we can see more of the game.
    KyleranOctagon7711

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    I am pretty hyped, it looks and sounds frigging amazing. Most here aren’t though, this is where souls go to die  o:)

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    VesaviusRexKushmanKyleranJeffSpicoli
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

• AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    If you liked Ark and how they dealt with the game, then you'll probably like this game. If you didn't, well....
    Kyleran
  • MaxBaconMaxBacon Member LegendaryPosts: 7,766
    edited December 2018
    Yeah I'll likely play it.

Ark itself is a successful game, and moving its engine to one MMO scale with a more linear progression and game theme, focusing on the guild development and conquest beyond what Ark could possibly achieve due to its limited player, make it one attractive option.

They had already developed the engine a lot, it's no longer the early days of Ark anymore, but they also aren't a large dev team so having a go at one MMO scale and continuos development won't be easy.
    Vesavius
  • VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908
    Kyleran said:
    It's from the people who brought us Ark, so I'm unimpressed / not interested.

Probably be 2 or 3 years until playable.

Half the team are Ark developers, this I know, but are the project managers/ CEOs the same ones that handled Ark?

They say 2 years in early access, so that sounds reasonable. It sounds like they are being upfront and open about it as well.
  • VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908

Remember how hyped people were for Sea of Thieves until they played it?  I am past the point of getting jacked up over developer promises that are often sloppy in execution.  Release the game and let it be good then we might get more excited.

Your approach these days is to literally not talk about or show interest in any game until it is on the market?

Yikes, the industry has ruined us all past what even I thought. I kind of miss the old days.

Sovrath[Deleted User]
  • LinifLinif Member UncommonPosts: 338
    If the price is almost AAA for Early Access, I'm going with a hard pass until it's released. I've been progressively soured by the practices of some companies charging practically full price for "Early Access", when it's basically paying them to test their game.

And yes, I know that's basically the deal, but I guess I'm more annoyed at myself than the companies.  :|
  • XAleX360XAleX360 Member UncommonPosts: 516
    Linif said:
    If the price is almost AAA for Early Access, I'm going with a hard pass until it's released. I've been progressively soured by the practices of some companies charging practically full price for "Early Access", when it's basically paying them to test their game.

And yes, I know that's basically the deal, but I guess I'm more annoyed at myself than the companies.  :|
    Price is 30 dollars.

Executive Editor (Games) http://www.wccftech.com

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    The game has a lot of potential and the possibility that at some future time it might support thousands of players is interesting, at the moment though, i doubt it is worth buying as i would be very surprised if even half the advertised features are 'workable', chances are it will be years before the game is anything like as 'advertised'  :/
    Lokero
  • LokeroLokero Member RarePosts: 1,514
    Honestly, the game reminds me of a pirate-themed version of the game CoE wants to develop.

Characters dying of old age, government/land control/taxation, and so on.

As someone who likes the pirate theme, anyhow, I think it sounds pretty cool.  But, I am doubting half the features will even be in when it launches.

My knowledge of the game comes from the PCGamer article.  They went pretty in-depth on the features/game design.  I haven't seen much else about it, really.
  • MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    edited December 2018
    I said elsewhere: Atlas is billed as a bigger and better Ark.  If they've managed to achieve solid optimization of Atlas, I don't see how Ark could suffer from such issues being a game that's relatively smaller in scope.

• LinifLinif Member UncommonPosts: 338
    XAleX360 said:
    Linif said:

Price is 30 dollars.
    Thanks for that. Though, where did you pull that information from? I can't see anything on the steam page or the Early Access blurb?
  • Sal1Sal1 Member UncommonPosts: 430
    I am not hyped because it's an open world PVP game. I hate those. So I won't be playing this title.
    [Deleted User]Slapshot1188
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,002
    Sal1 said:
    I am not hyped because it's an open world PVP game. I hate those. So I won't be playing this title.
    The advertised world is so large that odds are that pvp can be avoided for the most part.
    That's not really fair. I think people who don't want pvp just don't want pvp.

There are going to be squads of people who will make it their game play experience to scour the world for those who just want to go about their business.

What we need to have are people who don't like pvp "not" playing games with pvp.
    [Deleted User]Octagon7711KalebGraysonThahar
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Don't get duped into those early access crap,they only use that scheme to get away from refunds for selling us crap.This is the scheme developers are using,if we could only get them to spend as much effort on their games as they do with their lawyers,just imagine how great games would be.

The best way to stop this crap is NOBODY buys into early access,they will be FORCED to get the game in order or go broke but sadly tons of whales out there waiting to throw away their money.
    Why is it that so many people simply can't sit still and WAIT,were they the kids that would fidget all through church?

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,002
    Wizardry said:

Why is it that so many people simply can't sit still and WAIT,were they the kids that would fidget all through church?
    Some just can't wait, some are in denial or just plain ignorant of what they are getting and some, like me, just don't care and don't come running and crying to forums because what was promised (early access/not finished game/in the process of being developed) is what is given.
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
    lahnmir said:
    I am pretty hyped, it looks and sounds frigging amazing. Most here aren’t though, this is where souls go to die  o:)

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    Yeah, but you get hyped or like most everything,  so your taste is suspect.

;) 

lahnmiralkarionlog

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

Kyleran said:
    lahnmir said:

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir

;) 

Hey, what can I say? I am a glass half full type with an utter disregard as to what others do or don’t enjoy. And talking about taste is suspect, how is FO76 treating you?  :* ( I own it too).

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

lahnmir said:
    Kyleran said:
    lahnmir said:

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir

;) 

Hey, what can I say? I am a glass half full type with an utter disregard as to what others do or don’t enjoy. And talking about taste is suspect, how is FO76 treating you?  :* ( I own it too).

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    To add, I think the main difference is that I don’t complain and whine about the games I don’t like, and really, there are many. Any game by Ubisoft, the Witcher series, both RDR games, SWG, all sport games and most 4X games, most turn based strategy games etc. etc. I won’t waste my time and breath complaining about them, hence my positive attitude.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    [Deleted User]Asheram

lahnmir said:
    Kyleran said:
    lahnmir said:

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir

;) 

Hey, what can I say? I am a glass half full type with an utter disregard as to what others do or don’t enjoy. And qtalking about taste is suspect, how is FO76 treating you?  :* ( I own it too).

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    Heck, I  broke the darn glass long ago, it all just runs onto the floor now.
     :# 

I am enjoying FO76 but as I dislike most everything I know my taste is suspect as well

Unlike you I can't even consider playing another game as I'm working on FO 76 at present as I am still the "Highlander." (There can be only one)

Besides, there is still NMS that I need to get back to.

I'd say I'm good for at least the next 6 months.

Cheers.

ConstantineMerus

• MaxBaconMaxBacon Member LegendaryPosts: 7,766
    This site is full of PvE Carebears that have to shoot down any upcoming PvP MMO, something I can't understand the vast majority of MMO's already is PvE focused, there is lack of varied offer on the PvP setting not the PvE one.

The New World by Amazon is another one on this thing, that MMO in dev gets shot down for being PvP focused too, having game loops more on trade, guild play and territorial conquest.
    [Deleted User]