Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fallout 76 Review - Our Verdict on Bethesda's Wasteland Extravaganza - Fallout 76 Review

15678911»

Comments

• cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,100
    ''If you love exploring in Fallout universe and have done that enough in previous titles - this is the only one you get to do it in a fresh setting in ~5 years. That's just a simple fact.''

While I do love to. The fact that they reused many of the assets from Fallout 4 makes me think I would do better with a modded Fallout 4 if that was the reason to play it. I will not deign to reward Bethesda for their lazy effort to grab money in this case plus not fixing the bugs that have been present in this same engine for years shows a total disregard for their fan base. They charge a full price and then some but refuse to fix the bugs that modders have been fixing for years , why would anyone reward a company for this totally BS release.

Chamber of Chains
  • BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254
    edited December 2018
    Not great. But not nearly as bad as people are saying.

Too many fucking game breaking bugs. Loss of progress based on bugs feels absolutely terrible. Like, an assault on your very soul.

For a multiplayer game, it also feels desolate.
  • asdfsdf34534asdfsdf34534 Member UncommonPosts: 52
    Another review of a game that we all know sucks. Thanks
  • EbanyEbany Member UncommonPosts: 56
    Not even close to a 7, and I think the review understands this as it's constantly referring to the game feeling unfinished (like an Alpha ) with so much room to mature (to Beta with paid DLC).
    I believe a 4 would be more appropriate, probably a 3 for any poor soul who purchased Collector Ed content or paid content.

It's so bad I'm shelving any thoughts of purchasing from the developers again until well after launch.
    Kyleran
  • FinbarFinbar Member UncommonPosts: 187
    This is one of the few well considered and fair reviews to come out for Fallout 76. Many people have reviewed this game, but few have actually played it enough to pass judgement. This reviewer has done the homework and put the time in to get the full story. This is more than can be said for the majority of the mainstream big name youtube reviewers.

I joined MMORPG in 2003, and am a constant lurker here. On occasion a gem of a reviewer pops up. This reviewer is one of them.

Good work.

FINBAR
    -------------------------------------------

• maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,178
    The longer I play it, and the more bugs I encounter, the more I feel a score of around 5.5 or 6 would be about right.

I think a 7 score may end up standing the test of time though. Another patch tomorrow, and with each patch the game gets a little better, more manageable.  Normally I would say less crashes, but last night, in a blast zone, I crashed at least 4 times.  Prior to that, after the last patch, the crashes were way down for me, like once every other day, after several hours played.

But after the next patch, maybe those crashes will be less... once a week? 

Despite the performance issues, blast zones have been a lot of fun... still easy to get overrun with enemies.  Launching a nuke is also a crazy fun time, and a tough mission.  I have a solid group of guys I play with now, and launching nukes and diving into blast zones is what we prepare for all week, because the rewards are great and there's tons of tough enemies with good loot to earn.  

I have completed the majority of the missions though, no more main quests... and the main quests really didn't follow through to any sort of ending... Seems like after a while they just gave up on furthering any story or plot lines related to what you're supposed to be doing and what happens with the overseer. 
    Kyleran[Deleted User]MadFrenchie

• MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    Rawiz said:
    Rawiz said:
    Anyone who clearly states their reasons why they don't like a particular game, is not a bandwagon jumper.

'Fanboy' and 'hater' are too easily thrown around.

As for Fallout 76. If you have played FO4, then I can't see how you would think FO76 is ok.
    - There is no improvement (graphics, less bugs) and just taken away (story, characters, gutted crafting). And to me the annoying part is that Todd Howard was exaggerating as if FO76 was all improvement.
    - As a typical survival game, it lacks incentive. There is no reason to PVP, or even co op in PVE. The survival aspect is almost non existent.

The game is basically a go and fetch scrap bonanza with multiplayer. It makes no sense at all that the game is (originally) priced as high as FO4 GOTY. 

The pattern I see when people like FO76. Many have not played FO4 and are mostly talking about the fun with other players. Not the game itself.
    Quite frankly, the fact you call people who are ok with the game (NOT GREAT), as people who haven't played FO4 or any previous game of the series is just very telling of internet mentality.

I have played over 700 hours of Fallout 4 and close to that for NV and FO3. FO76 is still ok in my book. It's not what I wanted from the next Fallout game, but I'll take it over NOT PLAYING a new FO game for years. I would call myself a much more established FO universe fan than you as you obviously have not played the game (easy to see from your two complaints that you read from the web).

- Bugs are there - it's a Beth game and FO. You live with it or don't.
    - There's plenty of incentive to group up, especially with your buddies. Such as sharing perk cards, one of you being the melee dude, other heavy gunning or sniping from the back. The fact you don't know this tells all I need.

You can think you're like, what, the pinnacle of FO player ever existed and look down on those who still do play this game for all it's faults if you want. All I'll answer is don't believe everything you read on the internet.

Game is frustrating at times and very enjoyable at others. It's still very much a FO game - whether you like it or not. I still easily spend 4-5 hours playing it every evening now.

For the record, I'm lvl 62 now.
    The bugs are taken worse here because modders can't bail out Bethesda in such a game.

The entire "well, it's Bethesda, so it's okay!" Is what the GameSpace article was getting at about FO76: no, it isn't okay.  We're paying full price for a product from a large corporation.  Having more bugs than a bee's nest should've never been an accepted quality for consumers.  But software magic: you can't hold companies accountable to normal quality standards, this is software development!

Yes, we can.  And really, we should.  These devs and pubs are no longer passionate, small groups of gamers who wanna just make something cool to share.  They're in the business of maximizing profits while minimizing costs.  Letting them minimize costs via shoddy code work is a terrible idea, quite frankly.
    Not even once would I say I think this is a good game nor Fallout went to direction I liked. I've also previously said modders saved Beth for their previous releases. It's very true and very apparent how bad they're at some basic things like UI. I discarded a "Power Armor Chassis" that had a full set of 2nd best/best Power Armor in it - full armor too. I saw a Power Armor Chassis to my inventory and immediately threw it away for weight purposes. I was salty for sure, but a day later I was sporting X-01. You live with what the game is or you don't.

The game, however, is still very Fallout when you just relax and explore places - not focusing on bad things. I don't like listening a holotape or reading a terminal for story, but that is what it is here - personally I prefer reading this stuff from a wiki instead. You live with what the game is or you don't.

These devs are very passionate about their game. You can see this from hand-crafted small details you find when actually playing and exploring. The main problem is these Beth devs do not have proper experience with a multiplayer game. Beth is also trying to patch the game - slowly and bug-heavily. I already suggested they should take the game offline for a month and fix it properly.

The fact is, I still enjoy exploring places in the game, just like any other Fallout game. Every day I get on and go exploring and 5 hours vanish. I'm at level 97 now for the record. I like playing the game - I don't think it's worth $60 or $40, maybe like $20-30. If you can buy the game for that - give it a shot.

If you love exploring in Fallout universe and have done that enough in previous titles - this is the only one you get to do it in a fresh setting in ~5 years. That's just a simple fact.

It actually isn't the only place:

Modders have been creating these kinds of total conversion or overhaul mods for Bethesda titles (including titles like Skyrim) for years now.  They continue to do so for Skyrim and FO4.

I agree with most of your post, though.
    Rawiz

• RawizRawiz Member UncommonPosts: 584
    edited December 2018
    <SNIP>

It actually isn't the only place:

Modders have been creating these kinds of total conversion or overhaul mods for Bethesda titles (including titles like Skyrim) for years now.  They continue to do so for Skyrim and FO4.

I agree with most of your post, though.
    Those mods do seem like something I would like to play as well. Any of them out yet?

Personally I'm just itching for that new content - no matter how buggy it is. Bethesda = Bugs after all. The main thing that makes me scratch my head is people for sure have read the negative feedback on FO76 by now, yet some buy it and then encounter bugs and complain. I mean, people have different tolerance of stuff like bugs. Still I find it very odd that fans of the series wouldn't already be playing and trying to ignore all the shit.

Just today I tried to solo launch a nuke. Two times I met the good ol' can't damage anything bug in the silo. At that point I was pretty frustrated as my lowbie buddies were waiting for the nuke to level up. On the third time I finally got it done. That's doing the extremely long nuke silo quest 3 times partly. If I had failed on the third time I would've been done there.

Then the nuke went off - I felt pretty good launching one just by myself too - we had fun. End of the day, that's all that matters when you play a game. Level 118 melee dude now.

PS. Bethesda, make Scorchbeasts land more. Also allow another way to get a Nuclear keycard.
  • MykellMykell Member UncommonPosts: 780
    My biggest gripe is lack of permanence and anything remotely resembling community building.

No one fights over anything since its easier to just server hop and the rewards for fighting are not worth it.I don't understand why there is pvp in the game except to have as a bulletin point when marketing the game.

I can't build up a settlement with friends, set up a shop to trade, there is no shared kills/xp for teaming up so i wonder why is there even multiplayer.

The game turns into an inventory management simulator the longer you play.

There is fun to be had but they have made so many design decisions i just don't understand. The game really doesn't appeal to core Fallout fans or sandbox fans. Its like a bet each way hoping to pull in both crowds and failing.

The fact Bethesda still haven't really set out future plans doesn't help. They can turn it around is it going to be another No Man's Sky and the real game is still 2-3 years away?
    Kyleran
  • MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    Rawiz said:

Those mods do seem like something I would like to play as well. Any of them out yet?

Personally I'm just itching for that new content - no matter how buggy it is. Bethesda = Bugs after all. The main thing that makes me scratch my head is people for sure have read the negative feedback on FO76 by now, yet some buy it and then encounter bugs and complain. I mean, people have different tolerance of stuff like bugs. Still I find it very odd that fans of the series wouldn't already be playing and trying to ignore all the shit.

Just today I tried to solo launch a nuke. Two times I met the good ol' can't damage anything bug in the silo. At that point I was pretty frustrated as my lowbie buddies were waiting for the nuke to level up. On the third time I finally got it done. That's doing the extremely long nuke silo quest 3 times partly. If I had failed on the third time I would've been done there.

Then the nuke went off - I felt pretty good launching one just by myself too - we had fun. End of the day, that's all that matters when you play a game. Level 118 melee dude now.

PS. Bethesda, make Scorchbeasts land more. Also allow another way to get a Nuclear keycard.
    Here's a list of current conversion mods:

https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/categories/24/

What's more, the mods aren't even limited to new landscapes.  Consider the Agony mod, which completely overhauls how health and drugs/aid works in the game.  Or, for the fantasy fans, Atomguard, which adds vampirism and lycanthropy to the game.

Bethesda, god rest their souls, has one of the most incredible mod communities in the industry.  I think that might be the "secret sauce" with which comes the extra vitriol.  Fallout 76, as a title, intentionally excludes that community.
    [Deleted User]

• maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,178
    Mykell said:
    My biggest gripe is lack of permanence and anything remotely resembling community building.

No one fights over anything since its easier to just server hop and the rewards for fighting are not worth it.I don't understand why there is pvp in the game except to have as a bulletin point when marketing the game.

I can't build up a settlement with friends, set up a shop to trade, there is no shared kills/xp for teaming up so i wonder why is there even multiplayer.

The game turns into an inventory management simulator the longer you play.

There is fun to be had but they have made so many design decisions i just don't understand. The game really doesn't appeal to core Fallout fans or sandbox fans. Its like a bet each way hoping to pull in both crowds and failing.

The fact Bethesda still haven't really set out future plans doesn't help. They can turn it around is it going to be another No Man's Sky and the real game is still 2-3 years away?
    A lot of this is correct, and I agree with it.  Not sure why charisma is basically all team options, but then you have to spec into charisma pretty hard to share any of the buffs you have across any of you special skills. 

Like, they unnecessarily force you to spec into charisma if you even THINK about grouping productively... basically penalizing you for wanting to do it. 

Really everything else you can earn outside of a team, especially on console. You can port to friends lists for free... you can use whatever is in their base (but you can't see their base on the map unless you're teamed). But lets be honest, most of my friends have long stints where they can't port anyways because the stash box is still too small and everyone is overencumbered more often than not.  You still have to tag an enemy for XP benefits whether you're in a team or not. 

So the only real perk is that you get a shared quest completion, and you can share one perk... but aside from that, grouping is largely unnecessary.

Kyleran[Deleted User]MadFrenchie

• NildenNilden Member EpicPosts: 3,916

"You CAN'T buy ships for RL money." - MaxBacon

"classification of games into MMOs is not by rational reasoning" - nariusseldon

Love Minecraft. And check out my Youtube channel OhCanadaGamer

Try a MUD today at http://www.mudconnect.com/ 

• krulerkruler Member UncommonPosts: 589
    SOOoooo MMORPG hows that review you did doing in hindsight...……...So sadly off the mark.

• alkarionlogalkarionlog Member EpicPosts: 3,584
    i'm amazed on how you guys try to spin crap as a good thing
    FOR HONOR, FOR FREEDOM.... and for some money.
  • devileyebgdevileyebg Member UncommonPosts: 7
    For companies like Bethesda, Ubisoft and Blizzard there's no excuse for poorly made or poorly managed game. And yet for FO-76 we read only this from the beginning... Excuses excuses and more excuses.
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    edited February 2019
    3 thumbs down,couldn't pay me to play their lack of effort.it seems like every game now is either half baked or mostly empty and void of any depth or both.
    FO 76 is both empty,boring and a VERY lazy design,they could make that game in less than 6 months EASILY.
    IMo it is so bad i wouldn't even consider it worthy of being an addon or expansion,not worth 5 bucks and if i played it, i would want all my wasted time back.

I won't even talk about captivating your audience but if you can't get me to even take a look,your game is a complete fail,a 0/10.Well i did take a look watching paid streamers,i definitely wouldn't spend my money to take a look.

How long did FO76 stay relevant ,2 weeks?Pretty sad.
    i went to take a look on Twitch and wow,it is in like row 26,below so many bad games,it is like nobody cares about the game at all,zero interest.RedDeadredemption also way way down ,all these games are top row on Twitch for about 2-5 days then decline very quickly,what in earth are people doing buying all this crap.
    Kyleran

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,836
    Wizardry said:
    3 thumbs down,couldn't pay me to play their lack of effort.it seems like every game now is either half baked or mostly empty and void of any depth or both.
    FO 76 is both empty,boring and a VERY lazy design,they could make that game in less than 6 months EASILY.
    IMo it is so bad i wouldn't even consider it worthy of being an addon or expansion,not worth 5 bucks and if i played it, i would want all my wasted time back.

I won't even talk about captivating your audience but if you can't get me to even take a look,your game is a complete fail,a 0/10.Well i did take a look watching paid streamers,i definitely wouldn't spend my money to take a look.

How long did FO76 stay relevant ,2 weeks?Pretty sad.
    i went to take a look on Twitch and wow,it is in like row 26,below so many bad games,it is like nobody cares about the game at all,zero interest.RedDeadredemption also way way down ,all these games are top row on Twitch for about 2-5 days then decline very quickly,what in earth are people doing buying all this crap.
    The only time when Wizardry's typical "CHEAP", "LAZY," and "2/10" actually applies.
  • AndrewTheJoyfulAndrewTheJoyful Newbie CommonPosts: 29
    Something wrong with numbers in this world - you gave this game a 7, but it's just trash.
    Sovrath