Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

NDA Violation During Anthem Alpha Nets One Player an Empty Origin Game Library - MMORPG.com

Comments

• MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    Ungood said:
    Ungood said:

exile01 said:

I dont think this is news-worthy...

You guys fail to see the news here

When you buy something you are legal owner of it. Right ?
    You buy a car. Its yours. You buy phone. Its yours.
    You buy a game on Origin ... well its not really yours

What would you say if tommorow Apple remotely bricked your new iPhone 8 , because you were in closed beta of new iTunes, and posted online that its a crap.

Still not news worthy ?

Lease a car... and try to see how much you own it.
    Agreed, but car dealerships aren't allowed to frame the lease like you own it.

We've literally baked in protections, both via legislation and consumer conditioning, for software developers to falsely advertise their transactions with us in a gross way.
    Wanna bet?

They really make you feel like It's your car, they hand you the keys, and you drive that off the lot like you own it, it's registered in your name, tghe plates are in your name, you get to bring it home and park it in your driveway, you are also fully responsible for taking care of your car, all maintenance, storage, repairs, damage, all of it.. it's YOUR car.. until you try to think that you actually own it.

Yah... funny how that works.
    That's not not the same at all as advertising a lease as a consumer "purchasing" the car.  Buying/purchasing implies ownership has been transferred by means other than inheritance or charity.

Nothing about what you do with the car once you've leased it has anything to do with actions by the dealer, specifically regarding the details of the transaction between you and the dealer.  That's just you enjoying the car.
    Popple

• IosevusIosevus Member UncommonPosts: 16
    Just wait till Steam does this to someone and they lose hundreds of games. I know, I know.. "Steam would never do that! They are pure angels!" Continue thinking that, I'll continue buying from other places to keep all my eggs out of one basket.
  • LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,965
    Kyleran said:

exile01 said:

What would you say if tommorow Apple remotely bricked your new iPhone 8 , because you were in closed beta of new iTunes, and posted online that its a crap.

Still not news worthy ?

How about people just honor the NDA if they agreed to do so?

Problem solved, my job is done here.

B)

And perhaps go down on all four and take one for the team. I mean this is mentality you are reduced to ? Are you ?

• laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591
    Ungood said:
    Ungood said:

exile01 said:

Still not news worthy ?

We've literally baked in protections, both via legislation and consumer conditioning, for software developers to falsely advertise their transactions with us in a gross way.
    Wanna bet?

They really make you feel like It's your car, they hand you the keys, and you drive that off the lot like you own it, it's registered in your name, tghe plates are in your name, you get to bring it home and park it in your driveway, you are also fully responsible for taking care of your car, all maintenance, storage, repairs, damage, all of it.. it's YOUR car.. until you try to think that you actually own it.

The difference is they inform you its a lease, they are upfront, big and bold. They don't sell you a car and then you have to read a EULA to find out that you don't actually own the car.

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    You had me at "smokethrone."
    ConstantineMerusOctagon7711MrMelGibson

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• PopplePopple Member UncommonPosts: 239
    edited December 2018
    So lets talk about license.You bought the license but not the game it self, if thats the case then why in the fk are u people paying $80 for a game that you cannot own and can be taken away anytime for anything? So whats next are they going to set time limits? I believe it is much better to lease then buy and have the company go pound salt...

I retired retroactively..Haha

• UngoodUngood Member LegendaryPosts: 7,532
    Ungood said:
    Ungood said:

exile01 said:

Still not news worthy ?

Wanna bet?

That's not not the same at all as advertising a lease as a consumer "purchasing" the car.  Buying/purchasing implies ownership has been transferred by means other than inheritance or charity.

Nothing about what you do with the car once you've leased it has anything to do with actions by the dealer, specifically regarding the details of the transaction between you and the dealer.  That's just you enjoying the car.
    Ok fair point.. they don't say you are buying the car. They say you are leasing it. They make sure to call it a lease.

Popple said:
    Ungood said:
    Popple said:
    Ungood said:

exile01 said:

Still not news worthy ?

Show me where it say the game you bought is Just a Lease.. Now if i went to a store and lease a game to play, that would be a different story..Oh and the pricing would be Major Difference. $5 to lease a game for a week and $80 to buy...That game i bought for $80 belongs to me!

Are you really trying to be pissy and technical?

Well, since they never put a time limit, that was 80 to lease it for as long as you like, sure beats that 5 a week eh?

Now, if you are going to get your panties in a wad over this, read the fine print, you paid to add that game to your Account Library. Lose the account, you lose the game.

Life is hard.. it's harder if your stupid.

""Show me the fine print"".. Then i can say all of gamers are fked and better to lease then to buy something u cant claim u owned...So return that 45K car u just bought...Absurd!!
    Here you go.

You really ought to read shit before you sign and agree to it.
    ConstantineMerusOctagon7711
    Egotism is the anesthetic that dullens the pain of stupidity, this is why when I try to beat my head against the stupidity of other people, I only hurt myself.

• gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    In the EU the "Supreme Court" was asked the question about ownership by multiple large companies - they have "bought" lots of expensive software. The ruling was they own the software; a side result of which is that "we" own the games - in the "EU" at least.

Now since then "gaming as a service" - renting essentially - is something that has become more of a thing and brings with it different questions.
    [Deleted User]MrMelGibsonOctagon7711Gorwe
    laserit said:
    Ungood said:
    Ungood said:

exile01 said:

Still not news worthy ?

Wanna bet?

The difference is they inform you its a lease, they are upfront, big and bold. They don't sell you a car and then you have to read a EULA to find out that you don't actually own the car.
    Precisely.

If you ask the dealer what the lease is, they'll explain it accurately.

Ask a dev or publisher about the purchase of their new early access bundles.  See if they even mention the EULA or the licensing agreements contained therein.  Spoiler alert: they won't.  They'll be sure to tell you how those bundles won't be around long and how the items you get with it are super exclusive, though.

Iosevus said:
    Just wait till Steam does this to someone and they lose hundreds of games. I know, I know.. "Steam would never do that! They are pure angels!" Continue thinking that, I'll continue buying from other places to keep all my eggs out of one basket.
    I was thinking about steam to be honest, and some of the games you can get appear to be fully yours, as in I can put them on my computer and play them without access to steam at all (Example: Darkest Dungeon can be played Offline)

Equally so, other games flat out say that to play this game requires that you have an active Steam account and internet service. 

Also, with Steam, when you make a purchase, they say the game was added to your library, and then to play the game you need to download it from the steam library and install it on your system.

Since your Library is linked to your account, so they can deny you access to your library, because that is part of their service, just like a phone company can cancel your service and all related provisions.

Equally so, I wager that even if Steam did deny access to an accounts Library, this does not mean that user lost any access to the games they have directly downloaded.

I know I have use Steam to download some MMO's.. by my ability to play that MMO has no relation to my steam account.

So it can be a murky.
    MadFrenchieConstantineMerusGorwe
    Egotism is the anesthetic that dullens the pain of stupidity, this is why when I try to beat my head against the stupidity of other people, I only hurt myself.

• mmrvmmrv Member RarePosts: 305
    edited December 2018

Popple said:

Ungood said:

exile01 said:

Still not news worthy ?

Show me where it say the game you bought is Just a Lease.. Now if i went to a store and lease a game to play, that would be a different story..Oh and the pricing would be Major Difference. $5 to lease a game for a week and $80 to buy...That game i bought for $80 belongs to me!

Wouldnt matter the analogy is incorrect. anthem is the product the lease would be with not the other titles in the library. A more accurate comparison would be you lease 2 cars from ford break the lease with car A and they then break the contract and lease and repossess car B as well. That is against the law.

Its a simple thing matter of fact EA loses this in court 100% certainty, but they understand they are almost always dealing with broke , undisciplined, zero self control kids. Its a simple risk assessment so what this kid sues EA?? He has no money for a lawyer, any lawyer sees there is no money if they win because there are no real damages, and finally EA could just counter sue for damages anyways because their NDA was actually broken, they just dont have the right to "invoke their own punishment with impunity". They actually have to sue for the breach they cannot arbitrarily become judge jury and executioner administering law as they see fit.

So as a mater of fact they would lose if this was taken to court just as a practical matter they know they will never be taken to court for it, and even if they did it would not carry a financial penalty as they also have a valid counter suit for the NDA breach. Keep in mind they have a team of lawyers on retainer/staff so their legal fees really would not be incurred either.

Its alot like when a big pharmaceutical company releases a new drug but withholds potential side effects from the data, they KNOW FOR CERTAIN they are in the wrong and when it comes out they will lose the lawsuit and incur 100's of millions in damages to be paid out, but they knowingly proceed forward anyways because they also know by the time it all plays out they will have earned 1.2 billion in sales to offset the 400 million they have to pay out in damages and still pocket 800 million....

Alot of large companies do this type of stuff its basic risk assessment. They will knowingly breach law understanding the risk is minimal or worth it anyways. In the case of game companies they realize most of all their consumers are dumb kids (sorry you are a dumb/undisciplined kid its why you pay to have "early access") literally no adults would ever participate in such non sense or trust me the market would be filled with products adults use all branded as "early access". So they constantly shit on their costumers knowing you will be back next week with moms money to buy their next pile of trash game, only to have to whine how bad it is knowing you will be back 2 months later for their next bad game release.

However every once in a while they do make a big enough blunder and trigger the wrong adult who does have the resources or the professional background to organize a group and fight back. For example the recent bethesda FO76 fisaco....bethesda really wasnt going to honor their purchase agreement and sent out the backpacks....but then they discovered they had bumped into one of the wrong customers who was organizing a large legal action so they changed course and sent out some min requirement crappy backpacks.

Anyrate this type of stuff will only continue and get worse as the majority of the customer base being kids will comeback for another kick over and over and the companies get larger and push the limits further and further. Its like the big "blizzard announces diablo mobile" oh gosh how you all lost your minds!!! they should fear your wrath...NOT as we all know dam well they could release diablo 4 tomorrow 90% of users could report they cant even get the game to start the other 10% saying its good awful and all of you would still lock in your purchase hoping it would work for you and that you would find it fun.
    edited December 2018
    Ungood said:
    Iosevus said:
    I was thinking about steam to be honest, and some of the games you can get appear to be fully yours, as in I can put them on my computer and play them without access to steam at all (Example: Darkest Dungeon can be played Offline)

Equally so, other games flat out say that to play this game requires that you have an active Steam account and internet service. 

Also, with Steam, when you make a purchase, they say the game was added to your library, and then to play the game you need to download it from the steam library and install it on your system.

Since your Library is linked to your account, so they can deny you access to your library, because that is part of their service, just like a phone company can cancel your service and all related provisions.

Equally so, I wager that even if Steam did deny access to an accounts Library, this does not mean that user lost any access to the games they have directly downloaded.

I know I have use Steam to download some MMO's.. by my ability to play that MMO has no relation to my steam account.

So it can be a murky.
    The law needs to catch up.  It needs to wrangle with the new challenges presented by these very types of situation and determine what's the most equitable framework for these transactions, instead of just using the old, physical goods framework duct taped on.

But the wheels of legislation turn slowly, and the world of digital goods and electronics moves at a breakneck speed.
    Ungood

• mmrvmmrv Member RarePosts: 305

Aeander said:

Here's something to think about, how did they shut him down before he got passed the welcome screen?

Was someone able to contact EA/Bioware within 1 degree of separation from the authority to immediately do something like that, or was it a software based response...

Perhaps the alpha client was programmed to recognize Twitch and other similar programs running in the background? A similar kerfuffle happened with Destiny 2 allegedly banning players who ran basic 3rd party programs like Discord.

Most likely the person advertised in advance their intention to stream it, EA simply was ready and watching to close the account the moment he started.
  • alkarionlogalkarionlog Member EpicPosts: 3,584
    Ungood said:
    Ungood said:
    Ungood said:

exile01 said:

Still not news worthy ?

Wanna bet?

Ok fair point.. they don't say you are buying the car. They say you are leasing it. They make sure to call it a lease.

Popple said:
    Ungood said:
    Popple said:
    Ungood said:

exile01 said:

Still not news worthy ?

Are you really trying to be pissy and technical?

Well, since they never put a time limit, that was 80 to lease it for as long as you like, sure beats that 5 a week eh?

Now, if you are going to get your panties in a wad over this, read the fine print, you paid to add that game to your Account Library. Lose the account, you lose the game.

Life is hard.. it's harder if your stupid.

""Show me the fine print"".. Then i can say all of gamers are fked and better to lease then to buy something u cant claim u owned...So return that 45K car u just bought...Absurd!!
    Here you go.

You really ought to read shit before you sign and agree to it.
    you know the very least is false advertising right? like you guys are using the whole car analogy, there is nothing telling you its a lease/ rent/ or whatever, also we are discussing this is all based it was his main account and there was at least another game there.

most people don't talk much over it, because lets get real here, how many people really will open his game library and check if that 10YO game is there and you want to play it? not many, and most likely they had a physical disk somewhere, steam and origin is not that old enough to bring this kind of problem too often, maybe in some years we will see then abusing it, and people will start to make claims, with will or make then close the whole thing, or they will be forced to be more upfront, but till then, we know very well its very wrong what these company are doing
    FOR HONOR, FOR FREEDOM.... and for some money.
  • alkarionlogalkarionlog Member EpicPosts: 3,584
    edited December 2018
    Ungood said:
    Iosevus said:

So it can be a murky.
    a phone company can stop to give the service, (the line), but they can't take your phone from you, with is what is happening here

and btw after you install the game, be it origin and steam, you don't need to be logued on your account or even have internet access to play then, you can play, save for MMO because you net to have access to servers, so the whole lease lose even more footing here
    FOR HONOR, FOR FREEDOM.... and for some money.
    mmrv said:

Popple said:

Ungood said:

exile01 said:

Still not news worthy ?

Wouldnt matter the analogy is incorrect. anthem is the product the lease would be with not the other titles in the library. A more accurate comparison would be you lease 2 cars from ford break the lease with car A and they then break the contract and lease and repossess car B as well. That is against the law.

Just to clear things up. A lease is provided though a Bank, or loan provider.

If you have the lease for both cars though the same provider, and you break contract, the provider can opt, at their discretion depending on the severity of the situation, to cancel any and all other accounts you have with them, like checking accounts, credit cards, and also including the lease on the other car, and reposes both cars.

Also keep in mind that the NDA was signed with EA & Bioware, as a company, as a whole, not just with Anthem. It was regarding Anthem, but signed with EA & Bioware, this it can affect any and all other dealings you have with, this included any other services they may provide you.

Just saying.. 

• AlverantAlverant Member RarePosts: 1,320
    Just to add my own two cents, even if he did violate the NDA I think EA way overreacted in revoking the license on his games. Leaving out any legal issues I have a real problem with the idea that you're not really buying something, just a license for it, a license that can be revoked at any time without refund or recourse. It lends itself to abuse. What happens when a company decides, "OK you've played that old game long enough, we're going to take it away from you so you'll buy our remastered version"? The law needs to catch up with digital distribution.
  • AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,838
    Alverant said:
    Just to add my own two cents, even if he did violate the NDA I think EA way overreacted in revoking the license on his games. Leaving out any legal issues I have a real problem with the idea that you're not really buying something, just a license for it, a license that can be revoked at any time without refund or recourse. It lends itself to abuse. What happens when a company decides, "OK you've played that old game long enough, we're going to take it away from you so you'll buy our remastered version"? The law needs to catch up with digital distribution.
    It is by no means an overreaction. At worst, it's the wrong reaction. The streamer will be lucky if this is the only thing that happens to him, as breach of signed NDA leaves them vulnerable to a lawsuit.
    MrMelGibson
    edited December 2018
    Alverant said:
    EA does exactly that with their sports games.

They drop support for the multiplayer online portions, forcing you to purchase the new versions if you want to keep enjoying online multiplayer.

In fact, they've dropped said support for such games as quickly as 12-18 months after release.
    laserit

Alverant said:

They drop support for the multiplayer online portions, forcing you to purchase the new versions if you want to keep enjoying online multiplayer.

In fact, they've dropped said support for such games as quickly as 12-18 months after release.
    I'd imagine that all your microtransaction purchase's become obsolete as well?

• AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,838
    Alverant said:

I suppose that's why these games still sell so well. 

I wouldn't know, in any case. I don't enjoy sports games and don't tend to think highly of the stereotypical crowd sports game player.
    MadFrenchieMrMelGibson
    Stizzled said:
    If that is a screenshot of his actual desktop I don't see any shortcuts for games on Origin. I can't make out all the icons. Anyone see anything they recognize from Origin? I suppose he could just launch them from the app, but he's got Overwatch, HotS and Destiny shortcuts.

Looks like a bunch of bullshit to me.
    I'm pretty skeptical as well.
    ConstantineMerus

laserit said:
    Alverant said:

From what I've seen, you have to repurchase:

"The biggest, and perhaps only, drawback to going out and purchasing Madden 18 the second it is released, is that you cannot transfer your Madden 17 coins to Madden 18. In fact, you cannot transfer anything from one version of the game to the other. So, you can’t take your coins, players, items, or season progress from Madden 17 to Madden 18."

https://www.maddencoinsstore.com/how-to-transfer-madden-17-coins-and-players-to-madden-18/

Go go Gadget GaaS!
    lahnmir

• ConstantineMerusConstantineMerus Member EpicPosts: 3,338
    Isn't NDA violation a crime? So for doing a crime he has lost some games. I say he got off easy. Respect the freaking NDA. People think since it's digital and it's about a game so it's alright to break it. Grow the hell up. 

That aside, there are quite a few downsides to put your collection into a digital library. You break the rules, you'd lose your account. That's just one of them. However, what's the alternative? They ship you physical discs? That's more like a reward than a punishment. Or maybe they shouldn't ban anyone who has paid them a cent no matter what they do? 

I read a lot of posts about consumers right. Which is cool, I don't have anything against that. But I am not sure what would be the solution here. Of course I am not talking about banning people for no reason or such. But when someone deserves a ban, what should a company be doing?
    Ungood
    Constantine, The Console Poster

• "One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out of touch with their instinctive selves." - Carl Jung
    laserit said:
    Alverant said:

From what I've seen, you have to repurchase:

"The biggest, and perhaps only, drawback to going out and purchasing Madden 18 the second it is released, is that you cannot transfer your Madden 17 coins to Madden 18. In fact, you cannot transfer anything from one version of the game to the other. So, you can’t take your coins, players, items, or season progress from Madden 17 to Madden 18."

https://www.maddencoinsstore.com/how-to-transfer-madden-17-coins-and-players-to-madden-18/

Go go Gadget GaaS!
    So you microtransaction purchases have a "best before" date attached lol

Whatta racket ;)
    MadFrenchie