Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

NDA Violation During Anthem Alpha Nets One Player an Empty Origin Game Library - MMORPG.com

Comments

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    edited December 2018
    Do we really own the games we pay for or are they licensed to us for limited use? Digital rights are usually written up as licensed to use, not to own. Like buying an MMO and it closes down, what rights do we have to continue to use all the things we paid for?

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    edited December 2018
    Do we really own the games we pay for or are they licensed to us for limited use? Digital rights are usually written up as licensed to use, not to own. Like buying an MMO and it closes down, what rights do we have to continue to use all the things we paid for?
    We don't own any of these software products, despite their being advertised completely as purchases.  You'd need a fucking lawyer on retainer to keep track of the EULAs you are a party to in your every day Life.

That's the core issue underlying most of the legislative snafus with digital goods.
    Octagon7711Gdemami

• FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,967
    edited December 2018
    Here's something to think about, how did they shut him down before he got passed the welcome screen?

Was someone able to contact EA/Bioware within 1 degree of separation from the authority to immediately do something like that, or was it a software based response...

ApollosWill
    "As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • HashbrickHashbrick Member RarePosts: 1,851

Torval said:

Kyleran said:

Thinking the account is a throw away account.  If this really was his account the EA greatly overstepped their bounds here.  This close to the game launching I find it odd there is a closed alpha .

All depends on the terms of the NDA and whether or not they are enforceable.

That's true, but we have Valve doing something diametrically opposite of that and they tow the legal line pretty close. If your Valve/Steam account is permabanned for whatever, you don't lose access to your purchased items.

This implies that blocking access to prior digital purchases, at a store level, may not be legal.

It also shows the potential danger of locking your games into third party services. If you buy a game on Steam you know it won't be taken away at this level. If you buy a game on Origin now, you just don't know. Can Ubisoft do this? What about that new Epic store? If you get permabanned in Fortnite will you lose hundreds of dollars of games purchased through their store?

There isn't a question whether violating TOS or an NDA is inappropriate. The question being, how far can they take remediation? 

This also speaks to how poorly the hype culture of streamers/influencers are affecting the hobby. They don't belong at the forefront of games releases, in game awards, or starting little fires of tribalism and anarchy with their review bombs. So with that said, we should find out if this "influencer" is telling the truth or making something up for revenge.

Remember when you purchase a game on Steam, you are purchasing "the right to an open-ended subscription". Honestly nothing in your Steam library is yours or ever going to be yours. We put blind faith into large companies when we probably shouldn't, that said with how large Steam is it's an after thought for most people...for now.
    Octagon7711
    [[ DEAD ]] - Funny - I deleted my account on the site using the cancel account button.  Forum user is separate and still exists with no way of deleting it. Delete it admins. Do it, this ends now.
  • GroqstrongGroqstrong Member RarePosts: 815

exile01 said:

I dont think this is news-worthy...

You guys fail to see the news here

When you buy something you are legal owner of it. Right ?
    You buy a car. Its yours. You buy phone. Its yours.
    You buy a game on Origin ... well its not really yours

What would you say if tommorow Apple remotely bricked your new iPhone 8 , because you were in closed beta of new iTunes, and posted online that its a crap.

Still not news worthy ?

Wrong you bought WoW, do you own it? I buy a Ford, I can't reverse engineer the PCM and sell the secrets to Dodge.

• alkarionlogalkarionlog Member EpicPosts: 3,584
    if that is the case, why pay at all? I will just get the "free" copy of the internet and be done with it
    parpin
    FOR HONOR, FOR FREEDOM.... and for some money.
  • PopplePopple Member UncommonPosts: 239
    edited December 2018
    "smokethrone" has also lost all access to his Origin library.

Now here the strange part..If he bought over let say $1000 worth of games on Origin and they (EA) Decided to shut Origin down on him and the person cannot have said excess to his games. I think this is illegal..If this is going to be a trend where companies can do this for anything then buyers beware! If i had $1000 worth of games "Hard Copy" Disk from EA are they going to come to my house and take all the games i bought from their company?Same thing its illegal..

I retired retroactively..Haha

edited December 2018
    We don't own any of these software products, despite their being advertised completely as purchases.  You'd need a fucking lawyer on retainer to keep track of the EULAs you are a party to in your every day Life.

That's the core issue underlying most of the legislative snafus with digital goods.
    eula's don't overwrite consumers right, any abusive clause will make the whole thing null and void.

serious if they can void a prenup, anything can be voided, even more something who have no power to be enforced
    GdemamiMrMelGibson
    Torval said:

exile01 said:

What would you say if tommorow Apple remotely bricked your new iPhone 8 , because you were in closed beta of new iTunes, and posted online that its a crap.

Still not news worthy ?

Wrong you bought WoW, do you own it? I buy a Ford, I can't reverse engineer the PCM and sell the secrets to Dodge.

The aftermarket car parts industry is built on this so bad analogy.
    actually wow was also reverse engineered, how you think some bots and emulators work?
    Gdemami
  • AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    Reading half of these comments really makes me aware of how many sheep exist. People are perfectly fine paying 60$ for something they dont own anymore, which hasn't been anything really new now for 15 years. This leads into a bigger issue of if you do something these platforms dont want you to or more importantly dont like you doing, you lose everything, not just access to things related to what you did. Is it wrong for EA to punish them? No. They could easily revoke any future testing access as well as fine the account. But to strip access of stuff that was previously purchased isn't right. But is there a way around this though, realistically? No. All games in today's market (including physical) need access to the internet at least once. There's not a single game (to my knowledge) that hasn't had some kind of day 1 patch or whatever if you've bought the physical copy, while a lot of companies have stopped selling physical discs all together now. I mean, I understand people getting mad at developers/publishers to having us pay a price that we've been paying for nearly 20 years and getting lower quality of games for that time, but we've honestly stopped getting a product at all and have been paying that price for a service. Welcome to the future I guess.
    JeffSpicoliGdemamialkarionlog[Deleted User]
  • UngoodUngood Member LegendaryPosts: 7,532

exile01 said:

Still not news worthy ?

Lease a car... and try to see how much you own it.
    Octagon7711ConstantineMerusMrMelGibson
    Egotism is the anesthetic that dullens the pain of stupidity, this is why when I try to beat my head against the stupidity of other people, I only hurt myself.

• AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,836
    Is there even any evidence that this streamer owned other games on that account?

The entire thing could well be the streamer attempting to lash back with bad PR as punishment for their punishment of his actions. 
    [Deleted User]EponyxDamorMrMelGibson
  • laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591
    Here's something to think about, how did they shut him down before he got passed the welcome screen?

Was someone able to contact EA/Bioware within 1 degree of separation from the authority to immediately do something like that, or was it a software based response...

It's pretty simple how and I'd bet the permission is right in that NDA document he digitally signed.

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

Hashbrick said:
    mmorpg.com forum users, only the greatest of bird law lawyers here.
    On the internet you don't have to be an expert like you would in a court of law. :smile:

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

Ungood said:

exile01 said:

Still not news worthy ?

Show me where it say the game you bought is Just a Lease.. Now if i went to a store and lease a game to play, that would be a different story..Oh and the pricing would be Major Difference. $5 to lease a game for a week and $80 to buy...That game i bought for $80 belongs to me!
    Gdemamimmolou

• AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,836
    edited December 2018

Perhaps the alpha client was programmed to recognize Twitch and other similar programs running in the background? A similar kerfuffle happened with Destiny 2 allegedly banning players who ran basic 3rd party programs like Discord.
    MrMelGibson
    Ungood said:

exile01 said:

Still not news worthy ?

I don't lease vehicles, I buy them.

If game publishers are leasing me games and not selling them to me, I'd suggest they make that abundantly clear.

In big huge letters "LEASE ME" "YOU DO NOT OWN THIS PRODUCT"
    PopplealkarionlogRoin

edited December 2018
    Ungood said:

exile01 said:

Still not news worthy ?

Agreed, but car dealerships aren't allowed to frame the lease like you own it.

We've literally baked in protections, both via legislation and consumer conditioning, for software developers to falsely advertise their transactions with us in a gross way.
    [Deleted User]

Amazon Erases Orwell Books From Kindle

On Friday, it was “1984” and another Orwell book, “Animal Farm,” that were dropped down the memory hole — by Amazon.com.

In a move that angered customers and generated waves of online pique, Amazon remotely deleted some digital editions of the books from the Kindle devices of readers who had bought them.

People who bought the rescinded editions of the books reacted with indignation, while acknowledging the literary ironies involved. “Of all the books to recall,” said Charles Slater, an executive with a sheet-music retailer in Philadelphia, who bought the digital edition of “1984” for 99 cents last month. “I never imagined that Amazon actually had the right, the authority or even the ability to delete something that I had already purchased.”

Of course Amazon said they should never had done it and would never do it again, but think, if there was a court order that XYZ book should be recalled and removed from their library and even from those who purchased it, they would have to comply or fight it in court.  Just like Apple reserves the right to void your warranty if you have your iPhone fixed by an independent business.  
    H0urg1asslaseritConstantineMerus

Popple said:
    Ungood said:

exile01 said:

Still not news worthy ?

Show me where it say the game you bought is Just a Lease.. Now if i went to a store and lease a game to play, that would be a different story..Oh and the pricing would be Major Difference. $5 to lease a game for a week and $80 to buy...That game i bought for $80 belongs to me!

Are you really trying to be pissy and technical?

Well, since they never put a time limit, that was 80 to lease it for as long as you like, sure beats that 5 a week eh?

Now, if you are going to get your panties in a wad over this, read the fine print, you paid to add that game to your Account Library. Lose the account, you lose the game.

Life is hard.. it's harder if your stupid.
    alkarionlogmmolourkip
    Egotism is the anesthetic that dullens the pain of stupidity, this is why when I try to beat my head against the stupidity of other people, I only hurt myself.

On Friday, it was “1984” and another Orwell book, “Animal Farm,” that were dropped down the memory hole — by Amazon.com.

In a move that angered customers and generated waves of online pique, Amazon remotely deleted some digital editions of the books from the Kindle devices of readers who had bought them.

People who bought the rescinded editions of the books reacted with indignation, while acknowledging the literary ironies involved. “Of all the books to recall,” said Charles Slater, an executive with a sheet-music retailer in Philadelphia, who bought the digital edition of “1984” for 99 cents last month. “I never imagined that Amazon actually had the right, the authority or even the ability to delete something that I had already purchased.”

Of course Amazon said they should never had done it and would never do it again, but think, if there was a court order that XYZ book should be recalled and removed from their library and even from those who purchased it, they would have to comply or fight it in court.  Just like Apple reserves the right to void your warranty if you have your iPhone fixed by an independent business.  
    And I'd be willing to bet the button for the transaction said "buy," not "rent" or "lease."

Again, false advertising is an accepted norm in the realm of digital goods.
    alkarionlog

• H0urg1assH0urg1ass Member EpicPosts: 2,380
    Signs NDA

Breaks NDA

Loses Access

All of this seems pretty fair to me.  Why bother having an NDA without very harsh penalties to back it up?  Seriously, just don't break it.  How hard is that?

Also, why am I not surprised his gamer tag was SmokeThrone... he probably forgot he signed it to begin with. 
    Ungood
    Ungood said:
    Popple said:
    Ungood said:

exile01 said:

Still not news worthy ?

Are you really trying to be pissy and technical?

Well, since they never put a time limit, that was 80 to lease it for as long as you like, sure beats that 5 a week eh?

Now, if you are going to get your panties in a wad over this, read the fine print, you paid to add that game to your Account Library. Lose the account, you lose the game.

Life is hard.. it's harder if your stupid.

""Show me the fine print"".. Then i can say all of gamers are fked and better to lease then to buy something u cant claim u owned...So return that 45K car u just bought...Absurd!!

Ungood said:

exile01 said:

Still not news worthy ?

Agreed, but car dealerships aren't allowed to frame the lease like you own it.

We've literally baked in protections, both via legislation and consumer conditioning, for software developers to falsely advertise their transactions with us in a gross way.
    Wanna bet?

They really make you feel like It's your car, they hand you the keys, and you drive that off the lot like you own it, it's registered in your name, tghe plates are in your name, you get to bring it home and park it in your driveway, you are also fully responsible for taking care of your car, all maintenance, storage, repairs, damage, all of it.. it's YOUR car.. until you try to think that you actually own it.

Yah... funny how that works.

And I'd be willing to bet the button for the transaction said "buy," not "rent" or "lease."

Again, false advertising is an accepted norm in the realm of digital goods.
    From Steam:

Available on PC, Mac, and Linux

We offer a catalog of PCMac, and Linux games, many of which support Steam Play so you can buy once and play anywhere, and Cross-Platform Multiplayer so you can play with all your friends, no matter where they log in

https://store.steampowered.com/about/

MadFrenchieOctagon7711