Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

NDA Violation During Anthem Alpha Nets One Player an Empty Origin Game Library - MMORPG.com

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited December 2018 in News & Features Discussion

imageNDA Violation During Anthem Alpha Nets One Player an Empty Origin Game Library - MMORPG.com

This past weekend, BioWare and EA ran the first closed alpha event for Anthem and one streamer found out the hard way that the two companies were serious about the rules set forth in the non-disclosure agreement. A player named "smokethrone", chose to try to stream the game in violation of the NDA and was shut down without even being able to progress past the start screen. But it gets better...

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• DerrosDerros Member UncommonPosts: 1,216
    Were there any games on the account to begin with? or was it a throw away account for the purposes of breaching the NDA?
    Rain_DeathravenScotThaharShadowStyleBHermodbartoni33InteritusSinsaiGaladournBlaze_Rockerand 6 others.
  • tanektanek Member UncommonPosts: 63
    Exactly my question. I keep seeing this, but none of the sites reporting it seem to be looking into whether the information is correct. If there were no games on the account, all that is happening here is someone broke the NDA and is being rewarded with publicity.
    Asm0deus
  • exile01exile01 Member RarePosts: 1,089
    edited December 2018
    I dont think this is news-worthy...
    Post edited by exile01 on
    SBFordaxtrantiSignextweedledumb99Spectremuse
  • SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
    Derros said:
    Were there any games on the account to begin with? or was it a throw away account for the purposes of breaching the NDA?
    It could be a throw away but there's no indication one way or the other. The supposition is that since the streamer spends time opening and closing Origin on the video linked in the article, that it's not. However, I've reached out to this individual on Twitch but it's probably unlikely I'll hear anything back. 

Honestly, to save face, if it was me, I'd say it was even if it wasn't. :D
    jimmywolfUngoodGobstopper3DinfomatzMrMelGibson

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• GaladournGaladourn Member RarePosts: 1,813
    I guess "if you can't do the time, don't do the crime" applies here...
    jimmywolfBananablehallucigenocideSBFordConstantineMerusScot[Deleted User]ThahardinognBeezerbeezand 2 others.
  • BananableBananable Member UncommonPosts: 194
    LOLZ

Thats a hint - You dont have any games at all, all those just a products that belongs to greedy publishers.
    mmolouanemobartoni33Gorwe
  • BananableBananable Member UncommonPosts: 194

Galadourn said:

I guess "if you can't do the time, don't do the crime" applies here...

Yes, smack that *#$%. That will teach em all.

ALL KNEEL BEFORE ALMIGHTY EA - the ruler of the world!

Its not like they should hire proper testers and not rely on streamers to PR their shiFt.

Oh, no, we gave chocolate to the kid and told him not to eat it, but he did. HANG HIM!

Its like Rockstar with GTAV and cheats.
    KyleranmmolouGaladournInteritusSinsaidinogninfomatzMrMelGibson
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    These developers are abusing the law and the reason NDA's were created.
    There is also MANY ways a NDA can be considered void because a developer cannot make simple vague limitations,they MUST be specific.

There are loads and loads of reasons these NDA's are not binding.

None the less,they were designed because years gone past businesses needed a way to keep trade secrets safe from competitors.The problem is dumbass people who allow laws like this w/o thinking of the ramifications.
    Example,let's put a NDA on ingredients like Coca Cola,well we SHOULD have the right to know as part of our healthy and safety.So in this case a NDA would be trying to undermine other laws,like health and safety acts.

A streamer is not divulging any trade secrets.NO the developer wants to MANIPULATE consumer view of their product and that is how devs and businesses abuse the law for personal gain.I have not seen their NDA but i can only assume it is NOT binding under law,likely tons of flaws,just one big VAGUE paragraph that does not poijnt to specifically protecting anything at all,just THE GAME.

IMO when a game releases in a terrible state and the dev purposely tried to hide the issues via NDA's,they should be outright sued and for a lot of money.
    KyleranmmolouScotty787SinsaiDisantiaBeezerbeeztweedledumb99SamhaelZenJellyszharperand 1 other.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• alkarionlogalkarionlog Member EpicPosts: 3,584
    simple put if he had otehr games inside his account he can't lose then if he paid for then, so cahnces are its a account just for anthem, if was not EA can be sued, NDA in a game can't lock a consumer of his products, don't matter how the "contract" is writen
    GdemamiGorwe
    FOR HONOR, FOR FREEDOM.... and for some money.
  • PemminPemmin Member UncommonPosts: 623
    Its believable 

they used to do it with forum bans until about 7-8 years ago.  they changed the policy to allow offline play after a similar kerfuffle
  • LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,965
    exile01 said:
    You guys fail to see the news here

When you buy something you are legal owner of it. Right ?
    You buy a car. Its yours. You buy phone. Its yours.
    You buy a game on Origin ... well its not really yours

What would you say if tommorow Apple remotely bricked your new iPhone 8 , because you were in closed beta of new iTunes, and posted online that its a crap.

Still not news worthy ?

bartoni33GdemamiRobsolfAsheram

• UtinniUtinni Member EpicPosts: 2,209
    exile01 said:

What would you say if tommorow Apple remotely bricked your new iPhone 8 , because you were in closed beta of new iTunes, and posted online that its a crap.

Still not news worthy ?

If you read the EULA of almost any game these days you don't technically own the game. 

I'd say violating an NDA with a major company like that and all you lost was an origin account is pretty good. Yea it's "just a game" but its their product and a very expensive one at that.
    GdemamiInteritusSamhaelZenJellyMrMelGibson
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,505

exile01 said:

Still not news worthy ?

How about people just honor the NDA if they agreed to do so?

Problem solved, my job is done here.

B)

hallucigenocideShadowStyleBEponyxDamorsschruppConstantineMerusmmolouScotty787ApollosWillgervaise1Interitusand 5 others.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

Thinking the account is a throw away account.  If this really was his account the EA greatly overstepped their bounds here.  This close to the game launching I find it odd there is a closed alpha .

All depends on the terms of the NDA and whether or not they are enforceable.

Slapshot1188ConstantineMerusmmolouScotty787bartoni33tweedledumb99

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• alkarionlogalkarionlog Member EpicPosts: 3,584

exile01 said:

Still not news worthy ?

well they do that, after some time your old Iphone start to get slower and start to act up, forcing you to buy a new one, the main diference here is there is no fanboys for origin
    FOR HONOR, FOR FREEDOM.... and for some money.
  • JeffSpicoliJeffSpicoli Member EpicPosts: 2,849
    Suspend his account for a month or two, fine. Maybe ban him from purchasing Anthem for 6 months, I could support that. Wipe his library of games he paid for, Thats just being scummy but what else should one expect from EA.

bartoni33DoctorhooMrMelGibsonGorwe
    • Aloha Mr Hand ! 

edited December 2018

Wizardry said:

These developers are abusing the law and the reason NDA's were created.

There is also MANY ways a NDA can be considered void because a developer cannot make simple vague limitations,they MUST be specific.

There are loads and loads of reasons these NDA's are not binding.

None the less,they were designed because years gone past businesses needed a way to keep trade secrets safe from competitors.The problem is dumbass people who allow laws like this w/o thinking of the ramifications.

Example,let's put a NDA on ingredients like Coca Cola,well we SHOULD have the right to know as part of our healthy and safety.So in this case a NDA would be trying to undermine other laws,like health and safety acts.

A streamer is not divulging any trade secrets.NO the developer wants to MANIPULATE consumer view of their product and that is how devs and businesses abuse the law for personal gain.I have not seen their NDA but i can only assume it is NOT binding under law,likely tons of flaws,just one big VAGUE paragraph that does not poijnt to specifically protecting anything at all,just THE GAME.

IMO when a game releases in a terrible state and the dev purposely tried to hide the issues via NDA's,they should be outright sued and for a lot of money.

You know, if you would devote this much energy crusading for something useful we could probably eliminate world hunger or something. :D

EA has deep enough pockets to out-lawyer most anyone so a couple of pro tips.

1) Don't sign NDA agreements unless you intend to keep them. A man is only as good as his word.
    2) Don't purchase new games until you are able to verify they are up to your personal standards.
    3) Its 60 damn bucks or whatever, let's keep this in the proper perspective. If that is a real burden to you wait until it goes on sale, you don't have to buy it at launch.

World hunger is a tough problem to solve, but these first world gaming issues, not so much.

I'm on a roll....

B)

alkarionlogsschruppSovrathConstantineMerusmmolouScotty787ApollosWillGobstopper3DBeezerbeeztweedledumb99and 2 others.

• AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,836
    The streamer knew that what they were doing was wrong. They violated NDA blatantly and openly, and I'm not about to play a tiny violin for them facing the consequences of such.
    Scotty787KyleranSamhaelZenJellyMrMelGibson
  • XasapisXasapis Member RarePosts: 6,337

Kyleran said:

exile01 said:

Still not news worthy ?

How about people just honor the NDA if they agreed to do so?

Problem solved, my job is done here.

B)

This sets up a bad precedence for the Origin as a store front platform. The games you bought belong to you and they should stay in your account regardless of violations. Had they only removed that particular game and sued the streamer, everything would be fine for the remaining customers of the Origin store. As it is now, this is a clear message that the Origin store is not safe for purchases.
    JeffSpicolibartoni33GdemamiGwapoJoshMrMelGibsonGorwe
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    https://hbr.org/2018/01/ndas-are-out-of-control-heres-what-needs-to-change

I found this to be a good read,some guy talking about NDA's and how they have got out of control.

To sum it up he mentions what i have,businesses are using NDA's to actually support illegal and corrupt activity.Example trying to silence sexual harassment,trying to keep an employee from working anywhere else based on potential of leaking trade secrets.

Right now NDA is under fire with the Trump administration.Trump is trying to use NDA"s to silence White House staff from ever releasing any information be it corrupt or illegal that might go against the Trump administration.
    EponyxDamorOctagon7711bartoni33ZenJellyGorwe

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• EponyxDamorEponyxDamor Member RarePosts: 749
    He signed an agreement. He broke the agreement. Consequences occurred.

Listen, I'm not the biggest EA fan, but this isn't exactly shocking or unexpected.
    mmolouScotty787SamhaelZenJellyMrMelGibson
  • Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,985
    NDA = Not Doing Anything

Gaming companies have just utterly abused the concept to the point that many are meaningless.  Kind of like how they abused the concept of Alpha/Beta... Early Access... Launch.  

That said.  If you actually sign your name to something you should do what you said you would do.
    SovrathEponyxDamorScotty787Galadournbartoni33ZenJellyMrMelGibson

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• HashbrickHashbrick Member RarePosts: 1,851
    edited December 2018
    mmorpg.com forum users, only the greatest of bird law lawyers here.
    JeffSpicoliScotty787alkarionlogKyleranGdemamiAllerleirauhtweedledumb99MrMelGibson
    [[ DEAD ]] - Funny - I deleted my account on the site using the cancel account button.  Forum user is separate and still exists with no way of deleting it. Delete it admins. Do it, this ends now.
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,010
    Kyleran said:

You know, if you would devote this much energy crusading for something useful we could probably eliminate world hunger or something. :D

EA has deep enough pockets to out-lawyer most anyone so a couple of pro tips.

1) Don't sign NDA agreements unless you intend to keep them. A man is only as good as his word.
    2) Don't purchase new games until you are able to verify they are up to your personal standards.
    3) Its 60 damn bucks or whatever, let's keep this in the proper perspective. If that is a real burden to you wait until it goes on sale, you don't have to buy it at launch.

World hunger is a tough problem to solve, but these first world gaming issues, not so much.

I'm on a roll....

B)

Pretty much this.

Why make life any hard than it is. If you sign an NDA then just keep your word. If you don't think you can keep your word then don't sign it.

If there ARE illegal shenanigans or one discovers, through playing a video game, that the company is involved in real world "running guns across the border" they sure, be a whistle blower.

Anything more involved means it isn't necessary to break the NDA.
    mmolouScotty787alkarionlogKyleranMrMelGibson
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • parpinparpin Member UncommonPosts: 220
    the streamer was jerk, if a company trust you and gave you early access, that is very good for your channel as content creator because later you can talk about it a little bit and say your overall impression of the game without giving out details, i have seen some youtubers did this who were in alpha program and they got a lot of views, but this cheater jerk got banned and black listed not just by bioware but other companies will black list him too. he deserves it.
    alkarionlog