Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

SSD advice

AethaerynAethaeryn Member RarePosts: 3,149
I'm looking at adding a second SSD to my computer.    TW Warhammer II is killing me with load times.    

I'm thinking of Crucial MX500 1TB
It seems like a decent price point and my wife is asking what I want for Christmas.   Pretty sure my MB only supports Data or IDE maybe.

I'm not transferring huge files or video editing etc.

Is this a decent drive?   Might wait for an online sale.

Wa min God! Se æx on min heafod is!

[Deleted User]

Comments

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,982
    They just had RIDICULOUS sales on SSDs for Black Friday.  I picked up the 500GB version from Sedryn's link for $59.99

They seem to be one of the big discount items this year so now's probably a good time to buy.
    [Deleted User][Deleted User]WaanGdemami

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

They just had RIDICULOUS sales on SSDs for Black Friday.  I picked up the 500GB version from Sedryn's link for $59.99

They seem to be one of the big discount items this year so now's probably a good time to buy.
    You're not lying!  I can't believe you can get the 1TB 860 EVO right now for $150.  That's how much I paid for the 500GB six months ago!  Prices are down overall for the this tech.
    I know.  I didn't even need one but when I saw the price I figured:  My existing one is really old and these new ones are about 40% faster than what I am seeing currently.   Easy present for me login under my wife to buy and put under the tree for me :)

[Deleted User]

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383
    Nothing wrong with a Crucial if the price is right. Half my SSDs are Crucial, including some pretty old ones that are still going strong
    [Deleted User]
  • SignexSignex Member UncommonPosts: 318
    I wouldn't go with Kingston, at least not the A400 series. I have one and it's slower then a 860 EVO, somehow i can notice it. This is on a Z390 motherboard.
    AMD Ryzen 5800X3D - Gigabyte Aorus RTX 3080 10G Master - 16GB RAM
  • QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,348
  • AethaerynAethaeryn Member RarePosts: 3,149
    Awesome.   Yeah I'm leary of Kingston and AData.   I'll tell her it's a go and maybe order on boxing Day of there is a special.

• SirAgravaineSirAgravaine Member RarePosts: 520
    Torval said:
    Compare the specs and look at more than just data transfer rates. Look at the MTBF (how long before the drive is rated to fail) and its error rate. How long is the warranty. For most consumer applications the slowest SSDs are more than sufficient so reliability and endurance become more important than transfer rates.

Endurance is only more valuable than performance if you care about the longevity of the drive...Most people that are getting SSD's for personal use care far more about the performance of the drive.
    Gdemami
    Torval said:
    Compare the specs and look at more than just data transfer rates. Look at the MTBF (how long before the drive is rated to fail) and its error rate. How long is the warranty. For most consumer applications the slowest SSDs are more than sufficient so reliability and endurance become more important than transfer rates.

Endurance is only more valuable than performance if you care about the longevity of the drive...Most people that are getting SSD's for personal use care far more about the performance of the drive.
    Not me so much. . if it was 4X faster I wold be happy.  I want to be able to use it for a long time.  It seems odd since it is a "performance" type of drive, but I think they are way more mainstream with the price dropping.

I still have a Crucial CT512MX100 that I use as my main/OS drive.  If it had died already I would not be looking at another one.  I am in a little different situation though I suppose.  Keeping an old rig alive vs.  being on the high end.

Aethaeryn said:
    Torval said:

Not me so much. . if it was 4X faster I wold be happy.  I want to be able to use it for a long time.  It seems odd since it is a "performance" type of drive, but I think they are way more mainstream with the price dropping.

I still have a Crucial CT512MX100 that I use as my main/OS drive.  If it had died already I would not be looking at another one.  I am in a little different situation though I suppose.  Keeping an old rig alive vs.  being on the high end.
    I'm confused as to what you're doing.

If you're running the game off of that SSD and it still loads horribly slow, then I/O probably isn't the problem.  If you already have an SSD and are running games off of a hard drive instead, then that's the problem.  Of course, if the reason you're doing that is that you have insufficient space on the SSD, then the solution is to buy another SSD to add to the capacity--exactly what you're looking to do.
    Gdemami
    edited December 2018
    Quizzical said:
    Aethaeryn said:
    Torval said:

I'm confused as to what you're doing.

If you're running the game off of that SSD and it still loads horribly slow, then I/O probably isn't the problem.  If you already have an SSD and are running games off of a hard drive instead, then that's the problem.  Of course, if the reason you're doing that is that you have insufficient space on the SSD, then the solution is to buy another SSD to add to the capacity--exactly what you're looking to do.
    LOL I can see the confusion.  The last scenario is it exactly.  I have a 500gig SSD that I used for my OS. . that was the plan. . I would move a game or two onto it as needed.

Over years, that drive has become . . cluttered.  I used to reformat and install the OS every two years max waaaaay back.   I really need to do it again but I feel like it will be pretty tough to get everything set up the way I have it.  

I guess you could call it super lazy.  I am considering cleaning up the drive but I jump around games a lot and would like to install more games on the SSD.

TLDR:  My OS / a few games, and clutter have my main SSD at 80% of capacity.   I do run most games off of a HDD. . and it is likely a slower one (WD green)

EDIT:  I have cleaned out about 200 Gig and got WHTW:2 on there at least.  Now I just want all games I am currently playing on SSD.
    Post edited by Aethaeryn on

If you're running out of SSD space and can afford $135 for another TB, then go ahead and buy another SSD.  I asked because sometimes people get weird ideas about buying an SSD but not putting the stuff on it that they should.
    AethaerynGdemami
    edited December 2018
    The program is named Steam Mover.

It works outside of Steam. It works for anything. it doesn’t need Steam at all.
    [Deleted User]

• CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,412
    Don't worry it's an Intel SSD. Those are the bargain brand right?
    Ridelynn
    Thanks.  I won't buy anything off of ebay anymore.    Got ripped off and ebay was useless.  I was pretty surprised.  You can watch the seller get a few negative reviews. . each day and then they disappear and they have 100% positive.  If you put in a dispute your review gets removed apparently.   They even offered a 90 day warranty that they wouldn't respond to and ebay did nothing. 
    [Deleted User]Asm0deus

• TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,163
    You guys missed the sale on Crucial SSDs. SATA 1T $117, m.2 were around $130.
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

It was actually BestBuy through EBay I think.  Or NewEgg. I wouldn’t buy electronics from an unknown either.

Ah okay. . I did see those deals.  I just ended up reformatting my 500G SSD that I have my OS on.  I hadn't done that in . . 6 years maybe?   (cloned to the SSD).  Also formatted my 3 Gig HDD.  I have space now and things also run better.  I will still grab one in the future though.  I saw that everyone had the Samsung EVO for the same price. . even the local staples which was a surprise.

Thanks for all of the input.  

• NorseGodNorseGod Member EpicPosts: 2,654
    Samsung EVO SSDs has been good for me.
    To talk about games without the censorship, check out https://www.reddit.com/r/MMORPG/