Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Less Everquest, More Vanguard and Some More Recent Games

AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
I believe - as Brad and others have said - that Pantheon will be a spiritual successor to Everquest. 

But the more I watch streams, the more it seems to me that the "successor" part will be more about group dependency, no worldwide market, no cash shop, slow progression, meaningful death penalty, no gps map, mobs with a ton of health that take time to kill and pose danger, etc.

But here are some other things that I see:

Does it LOOK like Everquest? No, it really doesn't. Nor does it look like EQ with better graphics. More like Vanguard with better graphics. 

Does it SOUND like Everquest? Not at all really, as to ambient sound, soundtracks, and combat sound. All very different. Not bad, but nothing that will make you think of EQ. 

Does it PLAY like Everquest? Yes and no. Yes as to measured, paced combat, but no as to manner of combat because they seem to have put in all these builders and spenders, which seems very WoW and SWTOR to me - not EQ.

Do testers PLAY like many people played in Everquest? Not consistently to my observation. Maybe they are just doing what they are told/allowed to do (probably), but they are almost always running dungeons rather than open world type pl;ay. In the very early streams they fought their way TO a dungeon, so there was that, but still.

Are the CLASSES like Everquest. By name, yes, but they are nothing really like what I remember in EQ. 

My point is that people (maybe myself) who play the game expecting to re-enter something Everquesty (a word I just made up) I think are going to be very surprised. This is not just Everquest warmed over (which of course they have said, but many peeps don't believe them).

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

[Deleted User]MendelcheyaneAdamantine

Comments

• delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081
    edited December 2018
    I'll not compare this game to anything.  It will be a game where you have to rely on friends guilds and pug's.  It will be a game where it requires planning your moves by communication and working together.  During off times you will be preparing your character and try to bring goodies to the table to enhance your groups performance.  

EverQuest is simply a word, 
    I look at it like something new.  No one will need EQ1 experience to play.  A totally new person will screw up at first then decide to conform or quit.  Judging from the mana regen, it will soon be oblivious on how to play within the first few days.  No one past level 10 will be able to complain "they don't understand". 
    Post edited by delete5230 on
  • gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    If it looked and sounded and played like Everquest it would be the subject of a lawsuit.
    craftseekerHawkaya399
  • AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    delete5230 said: 

EverQuest is simply a word, 

Actually it's an iconic game that has been around for over 18 years and has 25 or so expansions.
    craftseeker[Deleted User]ConstantineMerus

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• svannsvann Member RarePosts: 2,230
    EQ at the start was very autoattacky for melee, and I dont want that.
    Lokero
    edited December 2018
    svann said:
    EQ at the start was very autoattacky for melee, and I dont want that.
    I take your point.  Autoattack is unduly basic (although there was more to it than that, really). 

But it's like my objection to foreign films with subtitles. I don't watch them because it seems the entire movie is about people's shoes. Similarly, I don't want to spend my playtime staring at little boxes and clicking build build spend. Then I hardly ever get to look at all the cool stuff in the game.

Oh and P.S. I type for shit. So I am mouse dependant.  

• Mylan12Mylan12 Member UncommonPosts: 288
    one of the problems and similarities of Vanguard and Pantheon is the beta team  of  "Brad can do no wrong" . It ruined Vanguard and will probably have the same effect in Pantheon where real objective critiquing is down played as "you just a hater" .

If they were really serious about beta, they have people like me in it.
    Why you were in the vanguard beta and it didn't seem to help in it?

Anyway I was also in the vanguard alpha/beta like I guess everyone else. Funny thing was that I liked the game better in early beta than later on. It seems they keep on adding more and more features but as they did the game became more and more unstable and less fun for me. 
     They seem more focus in this game with a more clear idea of what they plan to do in the game so I have more hope for this being a reasonable stable game at release.
  • MaldrekMaldrek Member UncommonPosts: 14
    one of the problems and similarities of Vanguard and Pantheon is the beta team  of  "Brad can do no wrong" . It ruined Vanguard and will probably have the same effect in Pantheon where real objective critiquing is down played as "you just a hater" .

I think it was more Brads addiction issues along with the fact he is a poor businessman killed VG.  

Brad can definitely do wrong and although he was driving force behind original EQ, fact is that SOE and Daybreak have kept it going for 18 yrs or whatever at this point.

Brad is a great idea guy.  As long as he is not making any business or financial decisions and he has his demons under control the game is likely to be very good at its foundation.
    I'm not speaking out of speculations, I am speaking from my experience as a beta tester in Vanguard SOH .
    Was in beta as well but what I said was documented and not speculation.  When you cannot manage finances, have to run back to Smedley for funding and then forced to put out whatever was done ruined any chance of the game being good.  

I remember beta was not perfect and people were open in their criticism especially the performance bugs.   But people were so desperate for updated EQ that many things were overlooked.
    And Smedly made sure Vanguard sunk right down to the emails sent out offering EQ2 accounts for free to players who bought Vanguard while they worked on bugs and optimization.Ya you can say I'm a bit of a Smedly hater .Not a Brad fan really either he wasnt faultless in VG downfall just hoping Pantheon doesnt suffer the same fate .

• newbismxnewbismx Member UncommonPosts: 276

I dont know much about this game (except thats its on my radar for down the road once I see if it even IS a game) but your comment about "you're just a hater" rings true right now in everything.

Our society is so dumbed down that 'hater' and 'troll' are thrown around because people cannot even have different opinions. Sometime around last year I was watching the news and heard the reporter say "hater" and another one say "diss"- 

We're in real trouble with the attachment people are having towards games and ideals where they block everything out, cover their ears and repeat "hater, troll' so as not to hear something that differs with their opinion.

Its really sad and scary tbh-

So what you say rings true now for any game at all. A  game on steam (age of survival) that has not updated in years in early access and barely works, has one of the lowest rating STILL has forum members who will immediately call :troll and hater" when someone asks why the game hasnt updated in years.

edited December 2018
    Actually vanguard was a great game after the bugs got (mostly) fixed.  By then it was too late though.  Not enough subs to pay for expac development.

Aside from the bugs though Id be very happy if much of that design theory found its way into Pantheon.  Mix of solo/group content.  Mix of questing/camping content.  Mix of open world and dungeon raiding.  Combat chains where it makes sense to use ability B after ability A in certain cases.  Crafting that is more than just hit combine and done.
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    First of all Vanguard was an ok game,i sort of liked it,it is up there as one o the better mmorpg's of all time.
    HOWEVER..
    know what made me leave that game,no not the bugs.Swimming near a fort i hit ONE PIXEL,a certain spot on the map and the ENTIRE fort of Orc or whatever they were came running at me,all simultaneously all on the exact same AI leash.I was like what kind of garbage AI on a leash is this.

So i died to about 30 or so Orcs ,brush my dead body off and head back to the Fort again.Even though i went in at a slightly different spot,i again hit that one pixel spot that was proximity and again the ENTIRE fort came running at me and with lightning speed.
    ALL of the Everquest games had that same aggro and AI on a leash,it looked BAD and seeing they never thought to fix it or IMPROVE it says something about diversity.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

Wizardry said:
    First of all Vanguard was an ok game,i sort of liked it,it is up there as one o the better mmorpg's of all time.
    HOWEVER..
    know what made me leave that game,no not the bugs.Swimming near a fort i hit ONE PIXEL,a certain spot on the map and the ENTIRE fort of Orc or whatever they were came running at me,all simultaneously all on the exact same AI leash.

Mobs could proximity agro if you get too close and also if you pull one too close to another, and Im thinking thats how it should be.   If they really hard-linked agro for an entire fort then obviously it was a bug.

Hawkaya399
  • Mylan12Mylan12 Member UncommonPosts: 288
    svann said:
    Wizardry said:
    HOWEVER..
    know what made me leave that game,no not the bugs.Swimming near a fort i hit ONE PIXEL,a certain spot on the map and the ENTIRE fort of Orc or whatever they were came running at me,all simultaneously all on the exact same AI leash.

Mobs could proximity agro if you get too close and also if you pull one too close to another, and Im thinking thats how it should be.   If they really hard-linked agro for an entire fort then obviously it was a bug.

EQ had lots of these types bugs and other agro bugs. I hope to not see them in Pantheon but I sort of figure they will be around.
     I had this weird bug in a dungeon in the Scars of Vellious expansion in EQ . One of my characters, I think it was my bard, could zone into that dungeon with a group and the dragon at the bottom would summoned and kill him and most of the rest of the mobs would rush the zone line and stay there preventing corpse recovery. After the second time, I just didn't go to that dungeon.
  • AdamantineAdamantine Member RarePosts: 5,085
    edited December 2018
    Amathe said:
    Does it LOOK like Everquest? [...]
    Does it SOUND like Everquest? [...]
    Does it PLAY like Everquest? [...]
    Do testers PLAY like many people played in Everquest? [...]
    Are the CLASSES like Everquest. [...]

My point is [...]
    You have no friggin point. Your questions are completely absurd. If you want to play EverQuest, well then go play EverQuest already.

When WoW was so successful, everyone cloned WoW. What happened ? People who liked WoW looked at the other games and simply said "not as good as WoW, because ...". You cannot ever beat the original if you try to merely clone it.

You want Pantheon to be a EQ clone and again, thats a recipe for failure. People who want to play EQ will play EQ, not your clone.

Even worse is your assumption that everything that doesnt remind you of EverQuest would be Vanguard. You're clearly completely clueless about what Vanguard was. So far theres clearly a lot more EQ in Pantheon, than there is of VG.

Especially the parts of VG that I *really* liked, like Healers being strong solo, being able to fight nonstop without having to rest ever, or the amazingly complex ability system that allowed to endlessly experiment and try to play your class in all kinds of ways, those are all gone.

Instead they went a Guild Wars road with a skillbook and limited amounts of abilties that are active at any point. I have played Guild Wars, after three days I was completely bored to death. Its excruciatingly dull to have only a few abilities, you keep pressing one and the same ability over and over, with no thinking ever.

Thats why I dont want to play Pantheon.

Unfortunately, unlike EverQuest, Vanguard is gone, and thus I cannot return to it. I would in a heartbeat.

Amathe
    I was in the Vanguard Beta. /shrug

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751
    Vanguard was a disappointment to me.....The game never ran well and I had 2-3 different top gaming PCs over a span of several years. and none of them could run it.....I had issues with falling through the world at times....Vanguard was always a game that was great in theory, it just never made it to where people thought it would.
  • Hawkaya399Hawkaya399 Member RarePosts: 620
    edited December 2018
    Mylan12 said:

Why you were in the vanguard beta and it didn't seem to help in it?

Anyway I was also in the vanguard alpha/beta like I guess everyone else. Funny thing was that I liked the game better in early beta than later on. It seems they keep on adding more and more features but as they did the game became more and more unstable and less fun for me. 
     They seem more focus in this game with a more clear idea of what they plan to do in the game so I have more hope for this being a reasonable stable game at release.
    The phrase "Don't fix it if it ain't broke!" comes to mind. The trouble is different people different strokes. Some people will love something and others will hate it. And sometimes someone will like something, but if you put them in a different situation, they won't like it anymore. So it seems to me it's tough to know for sure when something needs to be fixed. We're creatures of change though. This is how we innovate. Along the way, we break some things, but we also invent new, beautiful things.
    Post edited by Hawkaya399 on
    Amathe
  • Hawkaya399Hawkaya399 Member RarePosts: 620
    edited December 2018
    Amathe said:
    I believe - as Brad and others have said - that Pantheon will be a spiritual successor to Everquest. 

But the more I watch streams, the more it seems to me that the "successor" part will be more about group dependency, no worldwide market, no cash shop, slow progression, meaningful death penalty, no gps map, mobs with a ton of health that take time to kill and pose danger, etc.

That's akin to original Everquest. For a real comparison, you need to refer to Project 1999. Modern Everquest is nothing like that. I've played both.
    Amathe said:

My point is that people (maybe myself) who play the game expecting to re-enter something Everquesty (a word I just made up) I think are going to be very surprised. This is not just Everquest warmed over (which of course they have said, but many peeps don't believe them).
    If it's anything like original Everquest at all, however remote I think that's, it won't last very long. I don't think that'd survive early beta.

I think they could take some thigns from original without also sealing a dismal fate. They could try to carryover the humor--like the model styling.

Nobody wnats to play original. If they do, they're playing Project 1999. And anybody who wants to play modern EQ is playing modern EQ.
    Post edited by Hawkaya399 on
    Amathe
    It shouldnt be like the original everquest.  That was way too simplistic.  Most melee was about autoattack and positioning.  Of course that wont work, and it is already obvious that that isnt what this game is like.