Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Before you support Bethesda with Fallout 76 or any of their future games...

TheScavengerTheScavenger Member EpicPosts: 3,321
Here is SOME of the bad bethesda has done...which is no different than EA (especially destroying companies)

http://www.ign.com/articles/2018/06/28/bethesda-suing-warner-bros-for-blatant-rip-off-of-fallout-shelter

While nothing has come of that yet. From warner bros they said no code was copied. And copying game ideas is NOT illegal. IF copying games was illegal, then all the WoW clones need to be shut down RIGHT NOW and every other clone game needs to be removed RIGHT NOW

And here Bethesda screwed interplay hard

Source: https://www.theverge.com/2018/8/9/17665046/fallout-online-project-v13-interplay-bethesda-lawsuit-fallout-76

"Then, Interplay crashed hard. Facing budget shortfalls, it was taken over by French company Titus Software, which gutted its studios and laid off the entire Van Buren staff. It released a widely hated Fallout spinoff called Brotherhood of Steel, and its finances became so dire that the offices briefly"

"It cut a $5.75 million deal that would leave Interplay with the rights to build a massively multiplayer Fallout game, as long as it secured $30 million in financing, commenced full-scale development within two years, and launched within four years after that. It was an ambitious timeline for the developer of any big online game, let alone one in the dire straits Interplay had found itself in."

"Eric, it was a calculated gamble for Bethesda. Caen claims Interplay had offered to sell the MMO rights, but that Bethesda had balked at the proposed $50 million price. Instead, it agreed to terms that the shrunken, cash-strapped Interplay seemed unlikely to satisfy, on the condition that it could recover the rights for free if (or when) Interplay failed."

"But Anderson slowly decided that the project was hopeless. “It was impossible to get anything approved through Bethesda,” he told GamesTM. And when he looked at the stringent terms of the contract, “it became very clear to me that Bethesda had no intention of ever allowing Interplay to actually create an MMO.” In early 2009, he left Interplay for a job at InXile Entertainment, working on a sequel to Fallout’s spiritual predecessor Wasteland."

They also REFUSED Obsidian's offer to make another Fallout. Because they know they'd make a far better game than they could, but they (Bethesda) also want multiplayer only, microtransaction infested games and want nothing to do with Steam any longer

Supporting Bethesda is now no longer different than supporting EA

Also bethesda knew interplay couldn't get 30 million in financing, and they also knew they could get the rights for free by destroying interplay. They also knew there is no way to make a good MMO in FOUR years (impossible). They sabotaged interplay.

And that is only a tiny bit of how bad Bethesda is now.

My Skyrim, Fallout 4, Starbound and WoW + other game mods at MODDB: 

https://www.moddb.com/mods/skyrim-anime-overhaul

Asm0deusGdemamimmoloudeniter

Comments

• ElsaboltsElsabolts Member RarePosts: 3,476
    Just looks like business to me.
    El-HefeTotemthumperDakerurosej90MrMelGibsonSBFord
    " Life Liberty and the Pursuit of Those Who  Would Threaten It "
                                            MAGA
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,263
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• GruugGruug Member RarePosts: 1,791
    A lot of railing against a company that is in the business of making money. They did nothing wrong or illegal. Now if they screw over their customers, that would be worth talking about.
    rosej90SBFordAgent_Joseph

Let's party like it is 1863!

• El-HefeEl-Hefe Member UncommonPosts: 760
    Sounds to me like Bethesda didn't want interplay to ruin the franchise they had just bought the rights to.  Interplay screwed up by agreeing to the seemingly unattainable deadlines and provisions that were offered to them.  

I've got the straight edge.

• RenoakuRenoaku Member EpicPosts: 3,157
    https://www.polygon.com/2018/8/11/17661254/bethesda-sell-used-games-amazon-block

Bethesda blocking sale of used games / lawsuit consumers reselling their property?
  • AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    edited August 2018
    Most of Bethesda's games have been half finished for years and it hasn't slowed people from buying them. Even with them re-releasing skyrim 6 times and trying to make money off of mods they had nothing to do with, people still buy their stuff, so good luck trying to make people think before they buy. I always wait and buy their stuff at a discount but I do that for 95% of the games I buy anyway, so it makes no difference to me.
    kitarad
  • TotemthumperTotemthumper Member UncommonPosts: 23
    Renoaku said:
    https://www.polygon.com/2018/8/11/17661254/bethesda-sell-used-games-amazon-block

Bethesda blocking sale of used games / lawsuit consumers reselling their property?
    Good job on them for protecting there actual vendor's  ..I agree 100% with Bethesda!  come on Nov 14th and the 400 patches after to fix all the broken shit.

• LuidenLuiden Member RarePosts: 336
    It's business, note that Warhammer sued Blizzard back in the 90's because Warcraft/Starcraft was basically copying Warhammer.  In fact for all the 'innovating' that people think Blizzard has done they basically have made most of their money by copying ideas from other companies.  When WoW was released there was nothing innovative about it.. they basically copied what other games were doing and focused on making the game easier for players.. run on a smaller computer and take pain points away.  Thus championing in our now decade and a half of MMORPGs that are stupid easy to play.
  • ConstantineMerusConstantineMerus Member EpicPosts: 3,338
    who cares, they make fun games. 
    Like any other big company runs on rainbow and sunshine. The reason most people started disliking EA isn't their ethics but how their games have become less fun.
    Gdemami
    Constantine, The Console Poster

• "One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out of touch with their instinctive selves." - Carl Jung
  • VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888
    edited November 2018
    Also bethesda knew interplay couldn't get 30 million in financing, and they also knew they could get the rights for free by destroying interplay. They also knew there is no way to make a good MMO in FOUR years (impossible). They sabotaged interplay.
    Are you saying Interplay did not know?

If Interplay would be in any other business than games you'd be campaign against evil Interplay for agreeing to something they knew they couldn't do, but since Interplay was making a game you wanted you're preaching they should have an exception from the laws and rules that every other company must obey.

• sacredcow4sacredcow4 Member UncommonPosts: 249
    I'm pretty sure I read an article where it was blatantly copied. The code and all. To the point that old bugs existed.
     I've been here a while...
  • TheScavengerTheScavenger Member EpicPosts: 3,321
    I wonder how many of the previous commentors are now regretting supporting bethesda with fallout 76
    mmolou

My Skyrim, Fallout 4, Starbound and WoW + other game mods at MODDB: 

https://www.moddb.com/mods/skyrim-anime-overhaul

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    I wonder how many of the previous commentors are now regretting supporting bethesda with fallout 76
    There weren't many commentators which supporting it that I can see, probably very few who have retracted. 
    SovrathOctagon7711

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• newbismxnewbismx Member UncommonPosts: 276
    Without even needing to look at that i've stated my view here since FO76 dropped.

bethesda may be a shady and faceless corporation (as they all pretty much are) but they had never done anything to 'me' (or gamers/hobbyist's)and I loved their games and loved their 'IP's... I knew they were greedy and a little shady with the million re-releases of Skyrim without even fixing simple bugs (which mods have already fixed) especially in the Nintendo Edition which does not have mods and gamebreaking bugs (that they have been aware of for years) were left in.

So, bethesda is shady- But they made great games imho. Their games seem to be constantly dumbing down (compare Daggerfall to Skyrim) and becoming more 'action' than 'RPG' but damn...They were still fun. They were done with care. I always felt I received a great value with a bethesda title and I expected a sort of quality- Not in technical terms but in other ways.

So for me, a bethesda game was pretty much a pre-order and I'm not a 'hype' pre-order type person in most cases. Its very rare and I rarely feel burned.

FO76 pissed me of so badly- The blatant lies,the lack of care for the IP and what I see as a blatant, low effort, asset flip, ca$h grab that not only will I never pre-order a bethesda game again, but I'lkl wait until I can buy a copy second hand so they dont get my money even if the game is stellar.

SBFordkitaradAgent_Joseph
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,003
    I think I'll just make my own decision as to whether or not I want to buy their games.

Every game I've purchased from them has been enjoyable for the most part. In some cases I have played a few of them for years.

They are a company, they make games, if I like them and can deal with any issues then it's money well spent.

Until I start having real issues and continual issues with their products I think I'll pass OP.
    SBFordOctagon7711gervaise1ConstantineMerusAgent_Joseph
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • LimnicLimnic Member RarePosts: 1,116
    who cares, they make fun games. 
    They're certainly trying to challenge that claim with 76.
    Octagon7711Marid
  • ShaighShaigh Member EpicPosts: 2,142
    I support my local hockey team, I purchase games.
    Iselin: And the next person who says "but it's a business, they need to make money" can just go fuck yourself.
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    edited December 2018
    Shaigh said:
    I support my local hockey team, I purchase games.
    I hope that local team isn't the Leafs. 

I support my local pizza shop :smiley:

"they make fun games"LMAO,think we have seen that over used term a billion times...FUN.

Yes i could see the massive amount of joy on streamers faces as they sat there reading a computer screen inside a computer screen...sigh.

check for loot,check for loot,check for loot,yes that becomes increasingly FUN,i could see them jump out of their seats with joy!!
    NO they make BORING and shallow games.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,003
    OG_Zorvan said:
    I just got the game given to me. Who likes my new character?
    interesting name!
    [Deleted User]
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955
    Well I don't "support" games until they launch, for me these examples of bad practice are sent inside an envelope of 'paying before the reviews'. If I like a game and think it deserves support I will buy dlc even if I think it is of minor value to me but not poor ones or ones which do things like speed up the game. Something like cosmetics which I think are pointless but they have done in fine job in an underrepresented genre, that sort of thing.
  • ConstantineMerusConstantineMerus Member EpicPosts: 3,338
    OG_Zorvan said:
    I just got the game given to me. Who likes my new character?
    Your suggestion will be taken to the board when you reach level 50. Grind on brother!!
    [Deleted User]
    Constantine, The Console Poster

• "One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out of touch with their instinctive selves." - Carl Jung
  • gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    Would a Bethseda game without bugs be materially different from what they normally offer?
  • WBadgerWBadger Member RarePosts: 374
    None of their past business practices influence whether I'm going to buy their game in the future or not. 

Bethesda are not my friends.  We aren't buddies, I'm not taking them out to drink; I'm just buying games from them.  All of those acts would make me not want to interact with the people who make said decisions on a personal level, but it has no bearing on me because
    A. unless you're in the board room with them there's no possible way of actually know what transpired between the two parties since victory is written by the winners, and
    B. if a game is not interesting to me then I won't buy it; but I'm not going to deny myself an interesting game just because of some brand loyalty which is an absurd belief to begin with.  Unless you're Jesus himself; you have some form of skeleton in your closet.  There's no such thing as a company without them.

• MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    Wankyudo said:
    None of their past business practices influence whether I'm going to buy their game in the future or not. 

Bethesda are not my friends.  We aren't buddies, I'm not taking them out to drink; I'm just buying games from them.  All of those acts would make me not want to interact with the people who make said decisions on a personal level, but it has no bearing on me because
    A. unless you're in the board room with them there's no possible way of actually know what transpired between the two parties since victory is written by the winners, and
    B. if a game is not interesting to me then I won't buy it; but I'm not going to deny myself an interesting game just because of some brand loyalty which is an absurd belief to begin with.  Unless you're Jesus himself; you have some form of skeleton in your closet.  There's no such thing as a company without them.

Regardless of where the decision came from, past business practices indicate future ones.

I absolutely consider past behavior before doing business with a company.  Not on a personal level, but on a consumer level.

• goboygogoboygo Member RarePosts: 2,141
    Elsabolts said:
    Just looks like business to me.
    This, the other guys are out of business Bethesda is still in business.  I like their games. Nothing to see here.