Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

BioWare Finally Officially Announces Dragon Age 4: The Dread Wolf Rises - MMORPG.com News

Comments

• PeskyPesky Member UncommonPosts: 157
    Yes, yes, yes! More single player goodness. I'm sick to death of MMO's.

Dragon Age: Origins was terrific. The sequels not so much. So I hope they take their inspiration from the first game.
    Phrybartoni33Octagon7711tweedledumb99
  • NorseGodNorseGod Member EpicPosts: 2,654
    I'll pass. I'm not going to play games to be lectured about 1st world problems in my video games. Besides, EA told people like me to not buy their games, so there's that as well.
    Caffynated
    To talk about games without the censorship, check out https://www.reddit.com/r/MMORPG/
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Let's take this moment to be happy a new DA game is coming before they reveal how awesome making it a multiplayer GAAS it will be.
    ConstantineMerus
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• ConstantineMerusConstantineMerus Member EpicPosts: 3,338
    Iselin said:
    Let's take this moment to be happy a new DA game is coming before they reveal how awesome making it a multiplayer GAAS it will be.
    Multiplayer up to 4 people in the story campaign, one would hope. I had a blast playing Divinity co-op. 
    Phry
    Constantine, The Console Poster

• "One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out of touch with their instinctive selves." - Carl Jung
  • klash2defklash2def Member EpicPosts: 1,949
    i want to be excited so bad but EA 
    "Beliefs don't change facts. Facts, if you're reasonable, should change your beliefs."

"The Society that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting by fools."

Currently: Games Audio Engineer, you didn't hear what I heard, you heard what I wanted you to hear. 

Iselin said:
    Multiplayer up to 4 people in the story campaign, one would hope. I had a blast playing Divinity co-op. 
    Yeah. I've had a blast playing some multiplayer games... this is an MMO site after all lol. But I've also had a blast playing single player games for close to 40 years. Call me weird but I don't need everything to be multiplayer - especially not the single player franchises I've enjoyed.

At least there's Outer Worlds coming in 2019. They are actually billing that one as single player with the very first thing they say about it:

"The Outer Worlds is a new single-player first-person sci-fi RPG from Obsidian Entertainment and Private Division."

No excuses... no "we might add multiplayer"... just plain old fashioned single player goodness.
    ConstantineMerusPhryOctagon7711
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

• mystik13mystik13 Member UncommonPosts: 145
    If da4 persists with "action combat" from dai I will hard pass.  The limited class development and skills bored me within minutes.
    Phrybartoni33
    Iselin said:
    Iselin said:
    Yeah. I've had a blast playing some multiplayer games... this is an MMO site after all lol. But I've also had a blast playing single player games for close to 40 years. Call me weird but I don't need everything to be multiplayer - especially not the single player franchises I've enjoyed.

At least there's Outer Worlds coming in 2019. They are actually billing that one as single player with the very first thing they say about it:

"The Outer Worlds is a new single-player first-person sci-fi RPG from Obsidian Entertainment and Private Division."

No excuses... no "we might add multiplayer"... just plain old fashioned single player goodness.
    I'm in the same boat. I prefer singleplayer games and been playing them close to 40 years as well. I just meant instead of all the crap they might do with the multiplayer part (DAI also had multiplayer) I'd hope they do something like Divinity: Original Sin. Keep the singleplayer part intact, with the option to share the story with a friend. 

You most people consider this whole adding multiplayer to the games a new thing, especially since it is accompanied by a whole new level of monetization - which many companies depend on for their survival - but you should remember late 90s and early 00s, all games were adding multiplayer and those without didn't succeed much. That's when many genres died completely such as point-and-click adventures. Because modems were becoming popular. 

I remember back in Quake 3 days, not everyone could play it online. People had problems even in the developed countries. Now broadband connections has gotten better. So market has grown and expanded to even under-developed countries. Add new ways of monetization and the addiction to being online and social networks into that mix, it is safe to believe that multiplayer isn't going anywhere. 

On the other hand, there are other technological advancements that would push singleplayer games forward - better AIs for one thing. And narratives and the whole story-telling works best for singleplayer games. Of course developers will be changing lanes back and forth but I am not so worried. God of War came along, a PS4 exclusive, singleplayer only, no DLCs nor monetizations, and it still rocked the market. As long as there's demand, there will be good games and the demand ain't going anywhere. It might far in the future, but I am guessing you and I - as people who have been gaming close to 40 years - wouldn't live that long to see it! ;)

• "One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out of touch with their instinctive selves." - Carl Jung
    Iselin said:
    Iselin said:

I'm in the same boat. I prefer singleplayer games and been playing them close to 40 years as well. I just meant instead of all the crap they might do with the multiplayer part (DAI also had multiplayer) I'd hope they do something like Divinity: Original Sin. Keep the singleplayer part intact, with the option to share the story with a friend. 

You most people consider this whole adding multiplayer to the games a new thing, especially since it is accompanied by a whole new level of monetization - which many companies depend on for their survival - but you should remember late 90s and early 00s, all games were adding multiplayer and those without didn't succeed much. That's when many genres died completely such as point-and-click adventures. Because modems were becoming popular. 

I remember back in Quake 3 days, not everyone could play it online. People had problems even in the developed countries. Now broadband connections has gotten better. So market has grown and expanded to even under-developed countries. Add new ways of monetization and the addiction to being online and social networks into that mix, it is safe to believe that multiplayer isn't going anywhere. 

On the other hand, there are other technological advancements that would push singleplayer games forward - better AIs for one thing. And narratives and the whole story-telling works best for singleplayer games. Of course developers will be changing lanes back and forth but I am not so worried. God of War came along, a PS4 exclusive, singleplayer only, no DLCs nor monetizations, and it still rocked the market. As long as there's demand, there will be good games and the demand ain't going anywhere. It might far in the future, but I am guessing you and I - as people who have been gaming close to 40 years - wouldn't live that long to see it! ;)
    I'm one of the few (apparently) that liked DAI but its tacked-on multiplayer was pathetic. Same with tacked-on multiplayer for the ME games and kind of forcing it on you for ME3 in order to bring the galactic readiness to an acceptable level where you could get a good ending.

That's EA early days of pushing MP onto SP titles not because it enhances game play but simply to enable ongoing MT. They've since matured from those early days and it's now a top down directive to all their studios. I'm a fan of the DA games so an announcement of one is a good thing but I'm waiting for the other GAAS shoe to drop to see just how much more MP they'll be shoehorning into this one.

Games designed to be multiplayer from the ground up are one thing and they can be fun but tacking-on MP for no reason other than selling extra shit never really makes a game better.
    ConstantineMerus

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

Iselin said:
    Iselin said:
    Iselin said:

I'm one of the few (apparently) that liked DAI but its tacked-on multiplayer was pathetic. Same with tacked-on multiplayer for the ME games and kind of forcing it on you for ME3 in order to bring the galactic readiness to an acceptable level where you could get a good ending.

That's EA early days of pushing MP onto SP titles not because it enhances game play but simply to enable ongoing MT. They've since matured from those early days and it's now a top down directive to all their studios. I'm a fan of the DA games so an announcement of one is a good thing but I'm waiting for the other GAAS shoe to drop to see just how much more MP they'll be shoehorning into this one.

Games designed to be multiplayer from the ground up are one thing and they can be fun but tacking-on MP for no reason other than selling extra shit never really makes a game better.
    I love DAI - and the last DLC: Trespasser - I got goosebumps for a month after playing that. But yeah, my point was instead of that pathetic multiplayer if they NEED to something MP then they should add co-op similar to DOS at least. I played ME3 after the big patch so by then I didn't have to MP to get the good ending. 

I do understand your concern. I kinda like what Rockstar has done with GTA and RDR, treating SP and MP versions as rather different projects. I doubt if EA would ever adopt that, my bet is they'll be shifting more towards GAAS. 

Might sound irrelevant, but we can set our disappointment bar by Anthem on some level. 

• BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254
    I'm with the people that love the single player focus - especially in Dragon Age. I think it's a hugely popular opinion too.

I'm not sure whether or not people can make the multiplayer aspects of games like DA:I and ME:3 work well, but I know that, in my opinion, they haven't done a good job so far.

I just read that the multiplayer for Dragon Age Inquisition was developed by a group of devs from ME and DA franchises and it took them over 2 years to develop it. What a fucking waste.
    ConstantineMerusPhrybartoni33jimmywolf
  • MrMelGibsonMrMelGibson Member EpicPosts: 3,033

I'm hopeful. Inquisition was good but dragged in the end. The story with Solas was very confusing and probably only made sense to lore hounds. It seemed to just come out of no where at the end and the DLC didn't clear anything up. Looking forward to, hopefully, getting some proper gameplay explanations for what happened.

Really, though, I think Dragon Age needs to go back to being focused on Darkspawn issues and The Grey Wardens. That was excellent storytelling and lore. I can't understand why they moved on from it.

I agree. I remember how awesome it was to be a grey warden. Kind of like being a Spector in ME1. Both IPs should go back to those premises imo.
    PhryConstantineMerusOctagon7711
  • cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,101
    I am hopeful because I did love Origins.
    Chamber of Chains
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,986
    Who is going to be the first to say it will be a GAAS? :)
    TacticalZombeh
  • TacticalZombehTacticalZombeh Member UncommonPosts: 430
    edited December 2018
    I liked DA:I. I liked ME:A.
    I don't like EA.
    And yea, this will be some kind of GAAS. ;p
    Post edited by TacticalZombeh on
  • ShaighShaigh Member EpicPosts: 2,142
    The best thing about DA:I was refunding it. Their half-arsed tactical cam was EAware taking a dump on DA:O fans.
    Iselin: And the next person who says "but it's a business, they need to make money" can just go fuck yourself.
  • TacticalZombehTacticalZombeh Member UncommonPosts: 430

Shaigh said:

The best thing about DA:I was refunding it. Their half-arsed tactical cam was EAware taking a dump on DA:O fans.

That tac-cam was garbage, I will admit. Thankfully it also wasn't needed.
  • XasapisXasapis Member RarePosts: 6,337
    When all you can remember about the last couple of Bioware games was discussions around politics and who you can have sex with in game that pretty much sums it up.

Maybe this one will be good.
    Going by what the narrative director said about the game, they will try to force their political agenda ME:A style yet again unfortunately:

“A few folks telling me, after seeing my twitter profile, not to bring my politics into the game. Dragon Age has always been about belonging – about realizing that family is more than blood and about celebrating our diversity and differences. It will remain so.

“Dragon Age is about hope, about how love and friendship are forces for good and about how, in the end, what we have is each other.

“Ultimately, though – all art is politics. It’s just a hell of a lot easier to ignore it when those politics match up with yours: I wear my heart, and beliefs, on my sleeve. And I always will.”

“We have finite time on this world. I want to spend mine making it a better and more caring place.”

Caffynated
    Xasapis said:
    When all you can remember about the last couple of Bioware games was discussions around politics and who you can have sex with in game that pretty much sums it up.

Maybe this one will be good.
    Going by what the narrative director said about the game, they will try to force their political agenda ME:A style yet again unfortunately:

“A few folks telling me, after seeing my twitter profile, not to bring my politics into the game. Dragon Age has always been about belonging – about realizing that family is more than blood and about celebrating our diversity and differences. It will remain so.

“Dragon Age is about hope, about how love and friendship are forces for good and about how, in the end, what we have is each other.

“Ultimately, though – all art is politics. It’s just a hell of a lot easier to ignore it when those politics match up with yours: I wear my heart, and beliefs, on my sleeve. And I always will.”

“We have finite time on this world. I want to spend mine making it a better and more caring place.”

Yeah those sound like absolutely awful ideas to "force" into a game lol. 

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

• XasapisXasapis Member RarePosts: 6,337
    I think the guy is confusing ideals with politics. Politics are ephemeral and region related. US politics for example do not interest me at all, yet these developers seem to be adamant about educating an international audience about their stance on things.

So yea, I'd say injecting politics into any kind of game leads to bad products. And we have unfortunately ample of examples of AAA studios failing in this regard.
    MrMelGibson
  • Asch126Asch126 Member RarePosts: 543
    They made DA2 and Inquisition and people STILL say "man, i hope they learn from Origins 1!!"

.....they made 2 games that proved they didn't and the same company did Andromeda, apparently forgetting how to make a good Mass Effect after making 3 amazing ones, do you need more proof that they won't learn anymore?
    Octagon7711tweedledumb99
  • kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,919
    These games are not set on our earth so whether you have sex with an insect or human male shouldn't become political. It's asinine. If they have dwarves,elves or aliens depending on the game what difference does it make that two males are having a relationship. I swear people are moronic about these issues.
    IselinTacticalZombehcheyaneMrMelGibson

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    Wizardry said:
    So much for an AWARDS ceremony,that was nothing but advertising,one big long commercial of ads.I stopped into a Twitch channel for about 15 minutes.even the panel of people were talking more of other upcoming games than any awards stuff.

I am sure that sellout filled his bank account nicely and all his partners are happy as well,great land we live in,money is good.
    Well, when the nominations were picked by the press, which a lot of received something from the companies they review, it figures.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

kitarad said:
    These games are not set on our earth so whether you have sex with an insect or human male shouldn't become political. It's asinine. If they have dwarves,elves or aliens depending on the game what difference does it make that two males are having a relationship. I swear people are moronic about these issues.
    As someone who has played all titles several times I have never witnessed any sexing going on between two males. I guess this was completely through choice then. So people complaining about this reminds me of a story that a good gentleman once told:

Dr. Samuel Johnson, the great lexicographer, compiler of the first dictionary of the English language.

When it was complete, Dr. Johnson was waited upon by various delegations of people to congratulate him, of the nobility, of the quality, of the Commons, of the Lords  —  and also by a delegation of respectable ladies of London, who tended on him at his Fleet Street lodgings, and congratulated him.

“Dr. Johnson,” they said, “we are delighted to find that you have not included any indecent or obscene words in your dictionary.”

“Ladies,” said Dr. Johnson, “I congratulate you on being able to look them up.”

If something offends you, don't look for it! 

bartoni33

• cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,101
    kitarad said:
    As someone who has played all titles several times I have never witnessed any sexing going on between two males. I guess this was completely through choice then. So people complaining about this reminds me of a story that a good gentleman once told:

Dr. Samuel Johnson, the great lexicographer, compiler of the first dictionary of the English language.

When it was complete, Dr. Johnson was waited upon by various delegations of people to congratulate him, of the nobility, of the quality, of the Commons, of the Lords  —  and also by a delegation of respectable ladies of London, who tended on him at his Fleet Street lodgings, and congratulated him.

“Dr. Johnson,” they said, “we are delighted to find that you have not included any indecent or obscene words in your dictionary.”

“Ladies,” said Dr. Johnson, “I congratulate you on being able to look them up.”

If something offends you, don't look for it! 

You can find them on youtube. No problem if you really want to look for it otherwise if you play and not take up the options it has absolutely no effect on your game.

This is exactly why I do not understand why players complain about these choices when they never have to make them or be affected by them. It is like they want to restrict other people from making them. That is not true gaming spirit though is it, limiting other people however it is a totally selfish human instinct .
    ConstantineMerus
    Chamber of Chains