Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Lord of the Rings Online Limited Time Legacy Bundle Gives You Boatloads of Content for $199

2»

Comments

• ChaserzChaserz Member UncommonPosts: 317

dasX82 said:

Oh god thanks I stopped playing it and didn't jumped into this classic money grab.

Gee. Thanks for the insightful and useful comment.
  • gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    Sovrath said:

exile01 said:

This game launched with a 200 Dollar lifetime pack- and it failed miserably- hence it went f2p wich managed somehow to float into the abyss till the release of a classic server-wich was the reason the game failed in the first place. Its now there where it started- the circle of a retarded gameconcept.

Or you can just make things up.

Dungeons and Dragons online launched with Free to Play and it outdid all of Turbine's expectations so they decided to apply the same monetization to Lord of the Rings Online.
    LotR launched with a lifetime subscription option.

Why has been attributed to the "failure" of DDO. Initial sales - almost 100k - were poor. For reference AoC would have 800k and WAR 750k initial sales and neither were considered triumphs. (Remember back then companies got a smaller % from sales. (Funcom actually reported 21-24%).

Lower initial sales = lower initial subs = need money now = Lifetime sub offer. Water under the bridge now since they were acquired by WarnerBros and are now SSG.

And then they converted DDO to f2p and announced "huge increase". Big gains are possible from low baselines though. And that was back when f2p was seen by some as a gravy train that could not fail. Same sentiment some people used to express about sub games!

That is history and LotR is were it is.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,010

Albatroes said:

What exactly am I reading here? Cause on the face of it, it doesn't sound like much of a 'deal' to me....Maybe someone can explain to me?

6 expansions.. 20 DLC packs (region packs).. 1 year of VIP... loads of cash shop stuff

It's worth it for a serious brand new player, if they are not prepared to earn lots of it for free. One year of VIP alone would cost $99, or $180 if you paid monthly. Everything in it would cost something stupid like $400-$600 if you got it all separately.

But I still think all the expansions and dlc packs except the latest should be free anyway.

BUT i still dont get it? Every other online game that has ViP option GIVES all the XP and DLC's too while your VIP status lasts.
    It does not say whether it will all vanish or remain once your VIP runs out. To me it does not sound like a good offer

You permanently get all the quests/expansions/etc.

You get VIP Status for a year. Everything that is attached to VIP Status will go away once that year is out but you still will keep all the quests/expansions
    Ozmodan
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
    Stizzled said:
    Anonymous tipster? :(

Anyways, it sounds like a fairly good bundle, but it's aimed at brand new players and I know few people who are going to drop $200 on a game they've never played or haven't played in along time. The high price of getting the xpacs old players have missed out on is one of the reasons few return to the game.

Some of the die-hards might pick this up for their alternate accounts, but I don't see them selling too many of these packages.

They should have dropped the 12 month VIP and the legacy pack, and simply offered an expansion bundle with all xpacs for $80. That way you at least get the Warden and Runekeeper along with the bonus LP that come from purchasing some of the xpacs.
    <snip>
    Agree with your point about a bundle - maybe over Christmas? 

As for the high price maybe yes, maybe no - depends on the deals available. The "quad pack" - first 4 expansions - was (presumably still is) $10 and was available last Christmas with 75% off: so $2.50.
    [Deleted User]
    Sovrath said:
    Wizardry said:
    Considering i bought my fave game for $15 total package and it's probably at least 3-5x bigger than LOTRO,i would say $200 bucks is highway robbery.

I can't imagine that office where the big shots sit down and discuss what price they figure would be a good one and that is not even close to being a good one.
    That's Final Fantasy 11 right?

With all expansions?
    Doesn't FF 11 still have a sub (sorry service fee) though? Which quickly boosts the price. Maybe something else?
    Sovrath
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    Not to mention, this is not the best time to have a sale.  Everybody is having a sale now and people have probably spent a lot already.  They should have had this a lot earlier.  It's like they're only doing it for the holiday market but being a little too pricey considering the age of the game and it's competition.  Unless they have a later final Xmas and New Years sale to get those who were on the fence about deciding.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• GutlardGutlard Member RarePosts: 1,019
    edited December 2018
    At this point the bundle should include a Lifetime sub, IMHO, instead of just 1 year. That would still leave the player to buy anything else new after that, if there will be anything else.

Other than that, I think a brand new person who likes high fantasy and great story will def get their money's worth out of $200 with regards to the amount of gameplay there is to have.

I'm not good judge on spending I guess, as I just leave my Humble Monthly going when I have no idea what games I'll get and gift the dupes all the time. Gut Out!
    Octagon7711Ozmodan

What, me worry?

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,010
    edited December 2018
    gervaise1 said:
    Sovrath said:

exile01 said:

This game launched with a 200 Dollar lifetime pack- and it failed miserably- hence it went f2p wich managed somehow to float into the abyss till the release of a classic server-wich was the reason the game failed in the first place. Its now there where it started- the circle of a retarded gameconcept.

Or you can just make things up.

Dungeons and Dragons online launched with Free to Play and it outdid all of Turbine's expectations so they decided to apply the same monetization to Lord of the Rings Online.
    LotR launched with a lifetime subscription option.

Why has been attributed to the "failure" of DDO. Initial sales - almost 100k - were poor. For reference AoC would have 800k and WAR 750k initial sales and neither were considered triumphs. (Remember back then companies got a smaller % from sales. (Funcom actually reported 21-24%).

Lower initial sales = lower initial subs = need money now = Lifetime sub offer. Water under the bridge now since they were acquired by WarnerBros and are now SSG.

And then they converted DDO to f2p and announced "huge increase". Big gains are possible from low baselines though. And that was back when f2p was seen by some as a gravy train that could not fail. Same sentiment some people used to express about sub games!

That is history and LotR is were it is.

Not really sure what you are saying or how it applies to what I said.

I had a long conversation with Jeffrey Steefel at a PAX event, who pretty much said that DDO wasn't making enough so they decided to try the free to play model and it did so well that they then decided to apply it to Lord of the Rings Online to see if it could be equally successful. And it was.

That's pretty much it.

It did not go free to play becuase it launched with the lifetime package and then failed miserably. He said it was doing well but they wanted to see if they could get the same jump in revenue. And again, they did.
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726
    3dom said:
    $200? Yeah, no. I remember there was a time when you could get all previous LOTRO content unlocked by buying the latest expansion.
    Bzzzt, that was never available, you must be remembering some other game.

XA20X said:
    This is literally the exact opposite of how you bring in new players. You're basically charging 200 ( 300!! for DDO LOL? ) for a what 10+ year old game?

At a certain point this industry is going to just implode in on itself, cause what the actual fuck? You're supposed to be discounting the game and offering actual deals to help increase your playerbase!! I feel like I am taking crazy pills, there is no way someone who is looking to get into a game this old would plop this much money down when they could literally buy an almost limitless number of games on the digital marketplace with that kind of money. I mean, have you seen the prices of some of those games on the steam holiday sales?

Greed is killing this hobby, and everyone seem to be perfectly fine with it cause it's only slowly chomping away at a few bits here and there. First expansion packs, and then DLC, and then cosmetic cash shop bullshit. Then it was all of the above all at once, now it's injected into single player games. I'm not stupid, I know they're making money off of this but there has to be a upward limit and to be a little selfish- I would like it if we hit that fucking limit before I end up priced out of my own fucking hobby.
    Posters like you crack me up.  Content wise there is no MMO that can match it.  It is still a great MMO.  It is a good deal for someone that likes the game and is just starting out or someone coming back after a long time.  You do realize that if you pay monthly for VIP it is $180.  

Secondly, it takes money to keep these games running especially when they are constantly creating new content.  Only a naive poster would think that spending money on a game you like is bad.  So yeah, I completely disagree with your post.
    Gutlard said:
    At this point the bundle should include a Lifetime sub, IMHO, instead of just 1 year. That would still leave the player to buy anything else new after that, if there will be anything else.

Other than that, I think a brand new person who likes high fantasy and great story will def get their money's worth out of $200 with regards to the amount of gameplay there is to have.

I'm not good judge on spending I guess, as I just leave my Humble Monthly going when I have no idea what games I'll get and gift the dupes all the time. Gut Out!
    Lifetime sub huh, that will keep the game running....ROFL.

Sovrath
  • rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    Chaserz said:

dasX82 said:

Oh god thanks I stopped playing it and didn't jumped into this classic money grab.

Gee. Thanks for the insightful and useful comment.
    His comment may not be insightful but it's actually valid IMO. Do you expect someone to pay that amount of money to share the same feeling after losing $200?.

Better safe than sorry.

• cagancagan Member UncommonPosts: 445
    only $200? I can't wait to spend that much money on an outdated old dying game... I have been telling this NEW LEGENDARY server thing was a scam to make some more money before they finally shut down... As an old player i can say hat after lvl 20 or so you have to buy every area to level up to 100 or whatever the max level is up right now....Stay Away, go play some free MMO on your phone or PC
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,754
    Haha always cracks me up when these companies offer something theyve done before and try to make it sound enticing......
  • TheScavengerTheScavenger Member EpicPosts: 3,321
    gervaise1 said:
    Sovrath said:
    Wizardry said:
    Considering i bought my fave game for $15 total package and it's probably at least 3-5x bigger than LOTRO,i would say $200 bucks is highway robbery.

I can't imagine that office where the big shots sit down and discuss what price they figure would be a good one and that is not even close to being a good one.
    That's Final Fantasy 11 right?

With all expansions?
    Doesn't FF 11 still have a sub (sorry service fee) though? Which quickly boosts the price. Maybe something else?
    Unless he wasn't including the monthly sub and just the initial buy in of the game

Curious if it is FF 11 or if its something else...hmmm...
    mmolou

My Skyrim, Fallout 4, Starbound and WoW + other game mods at MODDB: 

https://www.moddb.com/mods/skyrim-anime-overhaul

• TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297
    Wizardry said:

Wait.. there's a game you actually like?
    TacticalZombehYashaX
    I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297

Albatroes said:

What exactly am I reading here? Cause on the face of it, it doesn't sound like much of a 'deal' to me....Maybe someone can explain to me?

6 expansions.. 20 DLC packs (region packs).. 1 year of VIP... loads of cash shop stuff

It's worth it for a serious brand new player, if they are not prepared to earn lots of it for free. One year of VIP alone would cost $99, or $180 if you paid monthly. Everything in it would cost something stupid like $400-$600 if you got it all separately.

But I still think all the expansions and dlc packs except the latest should be free anyway.

BUT i still dont get it? Every other online game that has ViP option GIVES all the XP and DLC's too while your VIP status lasts.
    It does not say whether it will all vanish or remain once your VIP runs out. To me it does not sound like a good offer
    The DLC is included with VIP, yeah. This package gets you them permanently as well even if you don't resub after the VIP ends... which they won't need to for any reason other than to support the game.
    I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749
    edited December 2018
    gervaise1 said:
    As for the high price maybe yes, maybe no - depends on the deals available. The "quad pack" - first 4 expansions - was (presumably still is) $10 and was available last Christmas with 75% off: so $2.50.
    I think I already corrected this in an another thread... it never was. Quad Pack's general price is $40 (ok, $39.99 :smiley: ), on "usual" sales it's $20, and on maybe two times so far it was available for $10. Currently it is $40, no ongoing sales at the moment.

What you might confuse it with are the expansions, when the Pack was for $10 (the 75% off), the expansions were for $2.50 each. Not the Pack.

It does not say whether it will all vanish or remain once your VIP runs out.
    That's the point, it won't vanish with this bundle, when the VIP runs out. That's why it is good for the new (and interested) players, and that's why the more content you own already, the less value this bundle gives to you, as I said earlier.

You can get a year of VIP for $100, the other 100 you pay for keeping all the content forever. The premium house and the boosts for one of your characters, even the crystals... I'd consider those just fluff, the real value of the other 100 bucks is mostly the content.
    So, every expansion you own, every zone you already bought, lowers the value of this bundle.

This bundle is built for the players who joined for the legendary server, playing currently as VIPs, planning to stay in the game for a while, and purchased no content so far. It's like a (pretty high priced) b2p option to them.
    [Deleted User]
  • MrMelGibsonMrMelGibson Member EpicPosts: 3,033
    Such an old mmo asking for $199 is a joke. This just seems like a cash grab to me. Didn't they used to sell a lifetime sub for about the same amount of money? For such an old game, this should give you everything currently offered, but the "VIP" should be lifetime. Just my opinion.
  • BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254
    For $199, I want at least 3 boatloads of content.
  • UtinniUtinni Member EpicPosts: 2,209
    I think theyre just trying to get some sub money in from the new folks since most will probably either unsub for a few months between legendary content releases (theres not much to do in the game) or unsub and forget to come back when the content does get unlocked.

I've been playing the legendary server since launch as a first timer and I'm already running dry on content. Probably level a few more alts and then unsub until moria.
  • LithuanianLithuanian Member UncommonPosts: 543
    Wise movie from SSG. If there is person seriously interested in the game and NOT grinding LPs from alt to alt - here you are, almost all content + VIP.
    Don't see any wrongs in it. And yeah, lifetime sub is relaly unwise thing.