Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Studio Wildcard Announces Its Pirate-Themed MMO, Atlas & It's Available Next Week - MMORPG.com News

Comments

• asdfsdf34534asdfsdf34534 Member UncommonPosts: 52
    They didn't even bother updating the version of unreal. This is a massive Ark Mod, nothing more. But people will buy it because people are so god damn dumb. Studio Wildcard is owned and operated by the Chinese. So if you wonder why it looks and feels like shit, take a look at China. Quantity over Quality and it shows in both the game and the country that's funding it.
    truewarlordKyleranlaxie
  • MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    nickiamx said:
    They didn't even bother updating the version of unreal. This is a massive Ark Mod, nothing more. But people will buy it because people are so god damn dumb. Studio Wildcard is owned and operated by the Chinese. So if you wonder why it looks and feels like shit, take a look at China. Quantity over Quality and it shows in both the game and the country that's funding it.
    Not sure about the China thing (don't play enough imports to comment definitively), but the timeline does scream this had to be built off of Ark.
    Kyleran

• Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,768
    nickiamx said:
    Not sure about the China thing (don't play enough imports to comment definitively), but the timeline does scream this had to be built off of Ark.
    They are owned by Snail Games, but that has nothing to do with their lack of optimization or how the game looks or plays. Maybe depending on how forced they are to release content or iterations of the game on other platforms, but ARK played and looked this way before being acquired. 
    MadFrenchie[Deleted User]Phry
  • H0urg1assH0urg1ass Member EpicPosts: 2,380
    Have I been living under a rock or has this been kept under wraps until just now?
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    If anything like the marketing video,then yeah looks promising.
    However a game with any substance usually gets around through word of mouth.So i'll take it for what it is ,another open world,EA game.

Thing about EA games is we know they are unfinished,what we don't know is what is or has been going on behind closed doors.
    So apparently this is their sister business doing the development,so not the actual ARK team,to me that is a good thing.ARK was released in an awful state,Dinos wouldn't even react to players stabbing them with spears.To me that says they didn't even test for one minute their own product or to see if the mobs work at all in game.

So we have to at least give this new team a chance,it does look promising.However the bosses are still the same and if they were so willing to sell a crappy release like ARK was,i suspect another rush job again using the EARLY access excuse.

BULL crap to excuses,if you accept money for your product,it is a SALE and will be judged as such,so let's wait and see if this is actually going to be a decent product or not.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

edited December 2018
    I need to remind people that the EXCUSE fo EARLY access,does not for one minute mean you can just throw something into the game and not at least LOOK at it for a few minutes to see if it works.Usually you do all of this outside the game on another game testing server or what not.
    You don't take assets and just blindly throw them into a working public game server and say,oh pardon us ,this is early access,expect bugs.
    NO bugs means you at least tested it and perhaps something untold pops up over time that was not easily or readily seen at the testing phase.

When i see BLATANT obvious bugs like i saw in ARK,it says the people in charge don't give a shit,it says they feel they had the GIMMICK "dinosaurs"that would sell no matter what,so just throw it out there for sale and tag it EA.
    Kinring

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• Animae_CaelatorAnimae_Caelator Member CommonPosts: 1
    edited December 2018
    Looking for a Team to Pirate with?  Check out teamcnd.com!
    Post edited by Animae_Caelator on
    MadFrenchie
  • TheScavengerTheScavenger Member EpicPosts: 3,321
    Looks awesome. Sounds awesome.

But as seen by many early access games or even fully released AAA games...looks can be deceiving.

But I hope its good, because its personally exactly my type of game. We'll see.
    mmolou

My Skyrim, Fallout 4, Starbound and WoW + other game mods at MODDB: 

https://www.moddb.com/mods/skyrim-anime-overhaul

• hikaru77hikaru77 Member UncommonPosts: 1,123
    40k players on a single server, this is pretty much the MMO nobody see it coming.
  • TheScavengerTheScavenger Member EpicPosts: 3,321
    hikaru77 said:
    40k players on a single server, this is pretty much the MMO nobody see it coming.
    Which is the #1 reason I'm VERY weary about this game. It literally came from nowhere. Almost certainly means not a good thing, as far as previous games have come out of nowhere.
    Phrymmolou

My Skyrim, Fallout 4, Starbound and WoW + other game mods at MODDB: 

https://www.moddb.com/mods/skyrim-anime-overhaul

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Ib4 are there gonna be pve only servers
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • AnOldFartAnOldFart Member RarePosts: 562
    Well I'm going to try it out, it's not as if it's going to cost the world...
  • AsheramAsheram Member EpicPosts: 5,071
    H0urg1ass said:
    Have I been living under a rock or has this been kept under wraps until just now?
    Theres a trailer from August of this year, dont know how I missed it either. 
    Tsiya
  • cagancagan Member UncommonPosts: 445
    I can't wait to buy the DLC for this game since they release 3-4 DLC's before they even release their bug ridden games. They got me on ARK. Waiting for skull and crossbones
  • lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    edited December 2018
    Screw this, this came out of nowhere for me but I am proper hyped, I might just buy it when it enters EA.

I hated ARKs setting but Atlas is right up my ally, as was Dark & Light. Here is to hoping they have learned their optimalisation/performance lessons with ARK.....

I will say it once again, these games are the future of MMORPGs when they grow in complexity and sheer scale. Atlas seems to be doing both, VERY excited.

Edit. It seems it is also launching with a discounted 30 dollar price tag, nice!

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    killerqueerAsheramTsiya
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

• ShaighShaigh Member EpicPosts: 2,142
    I'm not touching early access stuff. If I wanted to buy something buggy and unfinished at full price fallout 76 already exists.
    Kyleran
    Iselin: And the next person who says "but it's a business, they need to make money" can just go fuck yourself.
  • lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    Shaigh said:
    I'm not touching early access stuff. If I wanted to buy something buggy and unfinished at full price fallout 76 already exists.
    That is why it is 50% off during EA  ;)

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

• cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,101
    hikaru77 said:
    Which is the #1 reason I'm VERY weary about this game. It literally came from nowhere. Almost certainly means not a good thing, as far as previous games have come out of nowhere.
    I think you meant wary not weary. Unless you have already played and are tired of the game. I think you meant to say you were suspicious of this game.
    TacticalZombehMadFrenchieAsheram
    Chamber of Chains
  • newbismxnewbismx Member UncommonPosts: 276
    edited December 2018
    Why is everyone always hating on Ark? lol

I picked it up back when there was major sale for like $30 or something with all the xpacs (and I would get the latest xpac when it would eventually release for free) and I never played it because everyone said 'it sucks' and my quick experience on a server seemed to show some merit to that view- maybe played a few hours and forgot about it.

Anyhow, got the latest Xpac fairly recently but was busy with other games and after I finished RDR2 and hated the online part I needed a game to mess with and gave Ark another shot in the single player mode- And damn, its got me sucked in.

The amount of content is staggering- I'm probably a good 40 hours in and havnt explored much of the first map and have been having a blast playing with the complex nature of the dinos and systems and working on building a suitably massive base. And then you can evidently travel to all the maps somehow with your same guy and its content overload.

Theres issues with the pathing and some of the dino AI but for as many systems that are in this game and the nature of how it all works together along with how much fun it is (subjective I know) I can forgive some bugs.

This seems like a game I'll get thousands of hours from- At least potentially. A long term type game- And I cannot believe that I paid like $30 and at this point would have been totally happy if I had paid full price.

But people really hate this game for some reason- Idk, I'm having a blast. reminds me a bit of WURM but with less complexity and greater emphasis on survival and such. Its fun.
    Liljna
  • AsheramAsheram Member EpicPosts: 5,071
    Yes flying pirate ships I am even more hyped now.  :)

ConstantineMerus
  • MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    newbismx said:

I picked it up back when there was major sale for like $30 or something with all the xpacs (and I would get the latest xpac when it would eventually release for free) and I never played it because everyone said 'it sucks' and my quick experience on a server seemed to show some merit to that view- maybe played a few hours and forgot about it.

Anyhow, got the latest Xpac fairly recently but was busy with other games and after I finished RDR2 and hated the online part I needed a game to mess with and gave Ark another shot in the single player mode- And damn, its got me sucked in.

The amount of content is staggering- I'm probably a good 40 hours in and havnt explored much of the first map and have been having a blast playing with the complex nature of the dinos and systems and working on building a suitably massive base. And then you can evidently travel to all the maps somehow with your same guy and its content overload.

Theres issues with the pathing and some of the dino AI but for as many systems that are in this game and the nature of how it all works together along with how much fun it is (subjective I know) I can forgive some bugs.

This seems like a game I'll get thousands of hours from- At least potentially. A long term type game- And I cannot believe that I paid like $30 and at this point would have been totally happy if I had paid full price.

But people really hate this game for some reason- Idk, I'm having a blast. reminds me a bit of WURM but with less complexity and greater emphasis on survival and such. Its fun.
    I think most of the issues people have with it are optimization stuff.  From what I've gathered from folks here and around the net who played it, they haven't made a lot of good progress on that, and started releasing paid expacs while the base game was still suffering from very poor optimization.

One of those "fix/finish what you got before you ask us for more cash" things.

• newbismxnewbismx Member UncommonPosts: 276
    newbismx said:

I think most of the issues people have with it are optimization stuff.  From what I've gathered from folks here and around the net who played it, they haven't made a lot of good progress on that, and started releasing paid expacs while the base game was still suffering from very poor optimization.

One of those "fix/finish what you got before you ask us for more cash" things.
    That makes sens I suppose- The servers I tried were pretty unplayable (and nowhere to build) and I aimlessly ran around and died because I couldnt even put a campfire down and people had staked out the entire landmass with posts (to keep anyone from building) and it ran like garbage.

If I hadnt tried the singleplayer mode I would have thought it was terrible. The single player works really well- Sucks to have to be in single player when the game would be alot more fun with others but still a hell of a good time.

I didnt have to go through the growing pains of the game either or feel shafted with paid xpacs when the game was unfinshed or whatever so that also probably makes me view it differently- having just bought everything at once for cheap lol
    TsiyaMadFrenchie
  • LokeroLokero Member RarePosts: 1,514
    Mmm, with the purported performance issues of ARK, it's fascinating to note something in the following PCGamer article --
    Rapczak explains that this system also lets his team handle enormous battles more elegantly too. If players all pile into one grid to fight, Studio Wildcard can simply restrict access to that specific area for a time, forcing those late to the party to spread out and fight elsewhere.

So, basically, there could easily be a really low player cap for each so-called "grid" space if they have performance issues.  Even if they have 50,000 people on a server, you may never see very many in one place.
    [Deleted User]
  • ProblemProblem Member UncommonPosts: 77
    You can't come up with a game having those piece of shit character animations in 2018...
    JamesGoblin

Citizen: Preach your filth elsewhere!

edited December 2018
    Shaihuby said:
    OMG i waited for this kind of game for so long!

Sea of Thieves was a distaster for me, cruel lack of content and the fact that your ship was just a "vehicle" instead of a real "pirate home" disappointed me as well.

Knowing the devs from ARK, this game is full sandbox, meaning that we'll be able to really customize every thing and this is awseome. Although they're will be plenty of mods!

Waiting for the 13rd of Nov
    I feel bad you got scammed by that atrocity that bugs me and i didn't get scammed.
    However,this game and only my opinion but imo this is not more than maybe 1 year of work.Apparently there was a leaked video to showcase this upcoming game at the beginning of 2018,they denied it and had it removed.

That leads me to think they barely got started and were not sure if they would even follow through with it.So fast forward 10 months and all of a sudden they have a game fit for sale?Not in my books you don't,sure the marketing video looks good but i bet this will yet again be a Pirate game void of content.
    Now a large studio with money can do a lot in a year but you cannot build a AAA game in that short time.They are saving a lot of time in that your character is in first person mode.

So i looked and Grapeshot are publishing their own game,at least this means it is not Microsoft pushing the game out like they did with Sea of Thieves.

Sure looks promising though,don't want to ruin anyone's hopes but i bet we also see lower end graphics in game,sort of similar to Tera.There is the possibility they kept this under wraps so as to not undermine their ARK game sales.