Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Lord of the Rings Online Limited Time Legacy Bundle Gives You Boatloads of Content for $199

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited December 2018 in News & Features Discussion

imageLord of the Rings Online Limited Time Legacy Bundle Gives You Boatloads of Content for $199

The Lord of the Rings Online site has been updated with an awesome new limited time deal for fans of the game, or for those looking to dive in. The new Legacy Bundle will only be available from December 7th to December 16th and comes in at $199. It offers buyers all the LOTRO they can handle including a year's worth of VIP Access and all quests, instances, raids, deeds and regions that have been released through December 31, 2018.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• dasX82dasX82 Member UncommonPosts: 104
    Oh god thanks I stopped playing it and didn't jumped into this classic money grab.
    Unbino3domOzmodanrojoArcueidMrMelGibson
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,981
    The goat mounts were a favourite. :)
  • AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    edited December 2018
    What exactly am I reading here? Cause on the face of it, it doesn't sound like much of a 'deal' to me....Maybe someone can explain to me?
    onelesslightdarkheartsOzmodanSamhaelMrMelGibson
  • TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297
    edited December 2018

Albatroes said:

What exactly am I reading here? Cause on the face of it, it doesn't sound like much of a 'deal' to me....Maybe someone can explain to me?

6 expansions.. 20 DLC packs (region packs).. 1 year of VIP... loads of cash shop stuff

It's worth it for a serious brand new player, if they are not prepared to earn lots of it for free. One year of VIP alone would cost $99, or $180 if you paid monthly. Everything in it would cost something stupid like $400-$600 if you got it all separately.

But I still think all the expansions and dlc packs except the latest should be free anyway.

Po_ggSBFordOzmodanThupliMrMelGibson
    I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    edited December 2018
      Yea thats a nice package for a new player and should draw some fresh meat to the new server .. gj SS
    SBFordOzmodan
  • ForgrimmForgrimm Member EpicPosts: 3,059
    They're also running a 2-year season pass for DDO for $299 http://ddo.com/en/seasonpass
  • exile01exile01 Member RarePosts: 1,089
    This game launched with a 200 Dollar lifetime pack- and it failed miserably- hence it went f2p wich managed somehow to float into the abyss till the release of a classic server-wich was the reason the game failed in the first place. Its now there where it started- the circle of a retarded gameconcept.
    mmolouOzmodanTheScavenger
  • 3dom3dom Member RarePosts: 889
    $200? Yeah, no. I remember there was a time when you could get all previous LOTRO content unlocked by buying the latest expansion.
    OzmodanTheScavenger

Thank you for your time!

• Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,768
    Wait are these actually the expansions? It says "quest packs" on the site for each expansion, so maybe it's just a weird way of wording it?
  • XA20XXA20X Member UncommonPosts: 22
    This is literally the exact opposite of how you bring in new players. You're basically charging 200 ( 300!! for DDO LOL? ) for a what 10+ year old game?

At a certain point this industry is going to just implode in on itself, cause what the actual fuck? You're supposed to be discounting the game and offering actual deals to help increase your playerbase!! I feel like I am taking crazy pills, there is no way someone who is looking to get into a game this old would plop this much money down when they could literally buy an almost limitless number of games on the digital marketplace with that kind of money. I mean, have you seen the prices of some of those games on the steam holiday sales?

Greed is killing this hobby, and everyone seem to be perfectly fine with it cause it's only slowly chomping away at a few bits here and there. First expansion packs, and then DLC, and then cosmetic cash shop bullshit. Then it was all of the above all at once, now it's injected into single player games. I'm not stupid, I know they're making money off of this but there has to be a upward limit and to be a little selfish- I would like it if we hit that fucking limit before I end up priced out of my own fucking hobby.
    JeroKaneOzmodanThupliMrMelGibsonYashaX
  • Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749
    edited December 2018
    Albatroes said:
    As Darkrayne said above. Not much of a deal to you, nor to most players, except the new ones. Remember all those threads at the legendary server launch about how much the game costs, the expansions, the possible sales, etc. ?  This bundle is for those curious new players.

The more content a player owns, the less value this bundle offers to him, until the point where even turns into a negative.
    However, for the "serious brand new players" as Darkrayne called them, without any unlocked content on the account, and with the desire to play the game for at least a year more (either on the legendary server, or even branching out to other servers too), this bundle is not bad.

Basically a quite expensive b2p option, saving the player from the hassle of confusing payment models and f2p restrictions and different account types etc. 
    One purchase, and the entire game is theirs. Until this moment, future content updates aren't included.

Wait are these actually the expansions? It says "quest packs" on the site for each expansion, so maybe it's just a weird way of wording it?
    Not just a weird wording, with the f2p switch they introduced the "expansion quest packs" as a separate available purchase, if you only need the content.
    Expansion = the old fashioned expansion, with everything in it.
    Expansion quest pack = only the content part of the expansion, without the bundled goodies and bonus stuff.

For example, the Moria expansion quest pack has all the content of the Moria expansion, but doesn't give you the 2 extra character slots and the 2 new classes arrived with Moria. Or with Isengard and Rohan, you don't get the included (cosmetic) mounts and outfits.
    It is usually cheaper as well than its "full-on" expansion counterpart.
    SBFordOctagon7711Ozmodan
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,011

exile01 said:

This game launched with a 200 Dollar lifetime pack- and it failed miserably- hence it went f2p wich managed somehow to float into the abyss till the release of a classic server-wich was the reason the game failed in the first place. Its now there where it started- the circle of a retarded gameconcept.

Or you can just make things up.

Dungeons and Dragons online launched with Free to Play and it outdid all of Turbine's expectations so they decided to apply the same monetization to Lord of the Rings Online.
    mmolouJeroKaneMeleconRenfailMrMelGibson
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 

XA20X said:

This is literally the exact opposite of how you bring in new players. You're basically charging 200 ( 300!! for DDO LOL? ) for a what 10+ year old game?

I've never understood why, just because a game is old, that it needs to suddenly charge next to nothing.

Now, that is a way to draw players in, but the content is still as good/bad as it was back then. I still load up Andromeda and absolutely love it. It gives me a great experience and would be worth full price now as far as I'm concerned.
    Thupli

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

• gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919

It includes the "expansions". The page specifically says: "permanently gives you every quest in the game" and "even quests from Expansions!"

I use quotes because of this: *Excludes expansion pre-order or bonus items, includes only Quests, Instances, Raids, Deeds.

There have (maybe still are), for those unaware, expansion quests packs that contained the quests but not the raids but this bundle clearly includes them.

The extra classes and the High Elf race seem to be the major exclusions.

Ozmodan
    edited December 2018

3dom said:

$200? Yeah, no. I remember there was a time when you could get all previous LOTRO content unlocked by buying the latest expansion.

? Not aware of that offer. A lot of cheap deals over the years to get the content etc. but not that one. Sure you are not thinking of WoW say?

I would assume that this offer is aimed at people on the new servers - who are currently paying a subscription - who don't have much or very little content. Maybe they left before or some time after Moria. The cost of the bundle being - pretty much - the cost of a monthly sub - although this is available at a discount.

A part of me though wonders why they didn't include the extra classes and race. Another part of me that its to much. The quest packs are available to subscribers anyway so this could be seen as the expansions (quests) for $100. Which seems - a lot.

XA20X said:

Maybe they should offer a f2p option?
    edited December 2018
    Po_gg said
    Not just a weird wording, with the f2p switch they introduced the "expansion quest packs" as a separate available purchase, if you only need the content.
    Expansion = the old fashioned expansion, with everything in it.
    Expansion quest pack = only the content part of the expansion, without the bundled goodies and bonus stuff.

For example, the Moria expansion quest pack has all the content of the Moria expansion, but doesn't give you the 2 extra character slots and the 2 new classes arrived with Moria. Or with Isengard and Rohan, you don't get the included (cosmetic) mounts and outfits.
    It is usually cheaper as well than its "full-on" expansion counterpart.
    If this pack doesn't included the Runekeeper and Warden classes then that's crap. They should be included.

Anyone playing will earn plenty of free store points to buy those quite quickly but it'd be annoying to do that if you wanted to start as one of those classes.

Edit: In fact, they'd get 6000 store points straight away because of the 1 year sub so someone can get quite a lot of extras from the store.
    edited December 2018
    gervaise1 said:

It includes the "expansions". The page specifically says: "permanently gives you every quest in the game" and "even quests from Expansions!"

I use quotes because of this: *Excludes expansion pre-order or bonus items, includes only Quests, Instances, Raids, Deeds.

There have (maybe still are), for those unaware, expansion quests packs that contained the quests but not the raids but this bundle clearly includes them.

The extra classes and the High Elf race seem to be the major exclusions.

It states these are the expansion quest packs, not the expansion bundles. Quests, Deeds, Dungeons, Raids and nothing else. Which means skins, classes, extra characters slots etc. aren't included.

That's what it says anyway...

It also included 6000 store points though with the 12 month VIP, which you should get all at once, so you could probably buy everything else you wanted straight away.
    OzmodanMrMelGibson
    Po_gg said
    <snip>
    If this pack doesn't included the Runekeeper and Warden classes then that's crap. They should be included.

Anyone playing will earn plenty of free store points to buy those quite quickly but it'd be annoying to do that if you wanted to start as one of those classes.
    Yeah. And this seems to be the case - wonder whether they have confirmed this. Yes I know they could be purchased with crowns - c. 3,600 - and the sub gives 500 crowns a month but not including them just seems  to be penny pinching.
  • laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591
    Sovrath said:

exile01 said:

Dungeons and Dragons online launched with Free to Play and it outdid all of Turbine's expectations so they decided to apply the same monetization to Lord of the Rings Online.
    DDO didn't launch with F2P it launched back in 2006 and it definitely had a sub. It was the first game that I knew of that switched yo a F2P model. 
    Octagon7711

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

edited December 2018
    laserit said:
    Sovrath said:

exile01 said:

DDO didn't launch with F2P it launched back in 2006 and it definitely had a sub. It was the first game that I knew of that switched yo a F2P model. 
    Same thing applied. DDO went FTP and they made LOTRO FTP because that was so successful, not because LOTRO was struggling. It then tripled the revenue from LOTRO within 2 years. LOTRO was very populated before it went FTP.
    laserit[Deleted User]Ozmodan
  • JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,965
    edited December 2018

Sovrath said:

exile01 said:

Ehh what? I played both DDO and LOTRO at launch for quite some time!

BOTH games were Pay 2 Play with monthly subscription. The only difference is that DDO went F2P first, after subscriptions dropped below 100.000.

DDO launched in 2006 and after 3 years, in 2009, it went F2P with the Eberron Unlimited update.

LOTRO launched in 2007 and went F2P in 2010.
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Considering i bought my fave game for $15 total package and it's probably at least 3-5x bigger than LOTRO,i would say $200 bucks is highway robbery.

I can't imagine that office where the big shots sit down and discuss what price they figure would be a good one and that is not even close to being a good one.
    OzmodanYashaX

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

edited December 2018
    Wizardry said:
    Considering i bought my fave game for $15 total package and it's probably at least 3-5x bigger than LOTRO,i would say $200 bucks is highway robbery.

I can't imagine that office where the big shots sit down and discuss what price they figure would be a good one and that is not even close to being a good one.
    That's Final Fantasy 11 right?

With all expansions?
    MrMelGibsonTacticalZombeh

• ManestreamManestream Member UncommonPosts: 941

Albatroes said:

6 expansions.. 20 DLC packs (region packs).. 1 year of VIP... loads of cash shop stuff

It's worth it for a serious brand new player, if they are not prepared to earn lots of it for free. One year of VIP alone would cost $99, or $180 if you paid monthly. Everything in it would cost something stupid like $400-$600 if you got it all separately.

But I still think all the expansions and dlc packs except the latest should be free anyway.

BUT i still dont get it? Every other online game that has ViP option GIVES all the XP and DLC's too while your VIP status lasts.
    It does not say whether it will all vanish or remain once your VIP runs out. To me it does not sound like a good offer