Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

BioWare Finally Officially Announces Dragon Age 4: The Dread Wolf Rises - MMORPG.com News

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited December 2018 in News & Features Discussion

imageBioWare Finally Officially Announces Dragon Age 4: The Dread Wolf Rises - MMORPG.com News

BioWare was on hand at last night's Game Awards 2018 and finally officially announced Dragon Age 4: The Dread Wolf Rises. There is honestly little more known than that as the trailer shows very little other than a camera slowly panning over a painting on the wall seemingly surrounded by red (lyrium?) writing and the shadow of a wolf's face. The words say, "So...you found me at last...". The voice may be that of Solas, one of the main characters from Dragon Age: Inquisition.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,976
    While all but one of this series has been great we certainly do have questions. :)

From how much more easy mode it is going to be to how much of a GAAS it turns into. Well we shall see, especially if you wait until launch to buy anything.
  • RoinRoin Member RarePosts: 3,444
    I remember when the Dragon Age series was good, then they made Dragon Age 2, and Dragon Age Inquisition... Slowly went from a tactical RPG to something closer to a skill spam action RPG. Just hope the Divinity Sin series and Pillars of Eternity series never lose sight of what made them great RPG's.

Don't have any faith that BW can make a good DA game again. But hey, at least the people that do want it will get a sort of finished story. Because we already know how it will go. Basic Release + Plus overpriced release with junk items > DLC > DLC >  DLC > Game of Year edition.  With a sprinkling of purchasable Multiplayer stuff in-between.
    gastovski1[Deleted User]AlomarOctagon7711ZalgotasScotSamhaelnatpickThunder073Grunt350and 4 others.

In War - Victory.
    In Peace - Vigilance.
    In Death - Sacrifice.

• XasapisXasapis Member RarePosts: 6,337
    At this point the only redeeming quality is the lore. The actual games were equally split between hit and miss. I just hope they don't pull another ME:A and kill yet another IP.

Developers should really stop making games for metacritic points and focus on their actual customers instead.
    bartoni33Caffynated
  • officialfiveofficialfive Member UncommonPosts: 55
    edited December 2018

Xasapis said:

At this point the only redeeming quality is the lore. The actual games were equally split between hit and miss. I just hope they don't pull another ME:A and kill yet another IP.

Developers should really stop making games for metacritic points and focus on their actual customers instead.

I beg differ, I enjoyed ME:A yes difference is sometimes not bad. I'm stating this with all due respect.
    alkarionlogMrMelGibsonSpectremusebartoni33Caffynatedinfomatz
  • ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534
    edited December 2018
    Roin said:
    I remember when the Dragon Age series was good, then they made Dragon Age 2, and Dragon Age Inquisition... Slowly went from a tactical RPG to something closer to a skill spam action RPG. Just hope the Divinity Sin series and Pillars of Eternity series never lose sight of what made them great RPG's.

Don't have any faith that BW can make a good DA game again. But hey, at least the people that do want it will get a sort of finished story. Because we already know how it will go. Basic Release + Plus overpriced release with junk items > DLC > DLC >  DLC > Game of Year edition.  With a sprinkling of purchasable Multiplayer stuff in-between.
    pff, i actually always played dragon age as action game, with the ability to pause the action, uber bullet time style ^^

but yes, it's hard to reach origins, that game is legendary
    truewarlord

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

• alkarionlogalkarionlog Member EpicPosts: 3,584

Thane said:

Roin said:

pff, i actually always played dragon age as action game, with the ability to pause the action, uber bullet time style ^^

but yes, it's hard to reach origins, that game is legendary

I never stoped on dragon age because I was that crazy about the combat CC and putting the computer do all that casting(meh its a lie, I stoped for that timed blizzard or fireball aoe damge spells), mostly because the game is easy

DA2 never stoped and used greatsword for aoe cleaning, and most companions was annoying, then inquisition, even though it make some points good, (the kinda free homming was interesting) they killed some of the lore for what looked for was ignorance, and making spellcaster useless, and you be forced to carry one for certain map blocks.

now we have another DA, but then we remember how bad bioware is doing and your care for it is null

maybe I take a look in 3 years after all DLC is out, when I have the time, and there is nothing to play at
    FOR HONOR, FOR FREEDOM.... and for some money.
  • vegetableoilvegetableoil Member RarePosts: 768
    This could be interesting, but then again it's Bioware EA, next thing you get could be it's Dragon Age the micro transaction lootbox.
    [Deleted User][Deleted User]infomatz
  • AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    edited December 2018
    That's nice for Bioware, unfortunately their overlords known as EA dont believe in wasting money on single player experience anymore so it'll probably end up being some kind of live service title....Although a Dragon Age MMO could get me a little curious. Or they could pull an Acti-Blizz and say its going to be for phones only.

Xasapis said:

I beg differ, I enjoyed ME:A yes difference is sometimes not bad. I'm stating this with all due respect.
    My opinion on ME:A is completely irrelevant. What is relevant is EA/Bioware's decision to put the IP on ice, based on the performance of the late installment.
    bartoni33
  • gastovski1gastovski1 Member UncommonPosts: 99
    edited December 2018
    DA:O is one of the best rpgs all the time. I can't see them do better than it, not with this newly recruited team.
  • exile01exile01 Member RarePosts: 1,089
    Maybe this one is worth to be pirated?
    Zalgotasbartoni33
  • Kayo83Kayo83 Member UncommonPosts: 399
    edited December 2018
    Cautiosly optimistic. Those veteran names behind the project dont necessarily mean much when theyre under EAs soul sucking shadow. Who knows, Ive liked all the DA RPGs so far despite the last 2 not living up to the original. Anyone else edit the save file to play a Drawf Mage? Good times.
    MrMelGibson
  • tweedledumb99tweedledumb99 Member UncommonPosts: 290
    edited December 2018
    Not wild about the title, but still better than our tried and true Legend of the Rise of the Saga of the Fall of Fantasygibberish.
    Kayo83MrMelGibsonCaffynated
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    Loved the first one and replayed it several times. Each game after that had become harder for me to play through. Never finished the last one. So this is off my radar, unfortunately. I really liked the theme. The character dynamics in the first one, and getting to know your team.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,010
    Loved the first one and replayed it several times. Each game after that had become harder for me to play through. Never finished the last one. So this is off my radar, unfortunately. I really liked the theme. The character dynamics in the first one, and getting to know your team.
    Loved the first one and actually liked the 2nd one very much though they should never have recycled so many areas.

The Third one was very difficult for me to get through. I tried several times and just had to finally put it down. I think for me it was their interpretation of "open world" game play. It was just so grindy but not in a fun way.

"We'll see" about this one.
    MrMelGibsonbartoni33
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,768
    I know a lot of people here hate what Dragon Age became, but honestly it's kind of the opposite for me. I didn't really get into Origins as much, and I loved 2 (somehow), and Inquisition was really great IMO. I'm quite excited to see this. 
    MrMelGibson
  • MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    Bring back the companion A.I. Editor.  I don't enjoy battling dumb AI companions in a party-based RPG.

• AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    edited December 2018
    I know a lot of people here hate what Dragon Age became, but honestly it's kind of the opposite for me. I didn't really get into Origins as much, and I loved 2 (somehow), and Inquisition was really great IMO. I'm quite excited to see this. 
    I'm with you on really enjoying 2 (although probably not more than origins) even though most people seem to hate it. I guess its not too surprising that some people enjoyed ME:A, memes aside. I'll just say that if they can legit develop any kind of single player experience without the micro-transactions, they deserve respect, but again, their overlords are EA so that's unlikely to happen. Games as a service are the future!

As an aside, has anyone ever thought back to the last time you really OWNED a game? Every new game has a day 1 patch or requires something to be downloaded in order to function. If these guys some how tank, you're out 60$. I dont know, I just thought about it when I was looking at some old PS2 games recently.
  • SamhaelSamhael Member RarePosts: 1,498

Xasapis said:

At this point the only redeeming quality is the lore. The actual games were equally split between hit and miss.

There were three games... What's the equal split? :)

Seriously though, I loved the holy hell out of DAO. DA2 was nothing like it but I was able to finish it. DA3... well, I got so bored I couldn't even motivate myself to rush through the story to get to the end. I uninstalled about half-way through. So the story for #3 failed in a big way for me. If they can go back to their roots and come up with an interesting story, I might check it back out. But right now based on the consistently declining quality of BW games, I'm probably not even going to buy unless the reviews for the few couple of months post-release are singing praises.
    bartoni33
  • Cybersig211Cybersig211 Member UncommonPosts: 173
    You mean "EA launching DA4" Bioware is all but dead.

Wonder if this game will give EA the reason its looking for to kill the studio?  Maybe it will be Anthem?  Both?

The heart and soul of bioware left long ago.  Their past recent games reflect that and their future games will probably show more of the EA spirit rather than the Bioware soul.
  • TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297
    I'm hopeful. Inquisition was good but dragged in the end. The story with Solas was very confusing and probably only made sense to lore hounds. It seemed to just come out of no where at the end and the DLC didn't clear anything up. Looking forward to, hopefully, getting some proper gameplay explanations for what happened.

Really, though, I think Dragon Age needs to go back to being focused on Darkspawn issues and The Grey Wardens. That was excellent storytelling and lore. I can't understand why they moved on from it.
    Sovrath
    I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,967
    "So, you've found me at last"

"Dude I don't even know who TF are, or what's going on!"
    "As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Didn't play the Solas expansion. I did read the novels though. Some pretty good stuff there regarding the eventual fate of grey wardens. No spoilers.
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    So much for an AWARDS ceremony,that was nothing but advertising,one big long commercial of ads.I stopped into a Twitch channel for about 15 minutes.even the panel of people were talking more of other upcoming games than any awards stuff.

I am sure that sellout filled his bank account nicely and all his partners are happy as well,great land we live in,money is good.
    TacticalZombeh

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• NitemareMMONitemareMMO Member UncommonPosts: 239
    I want to express my excitement for DA4 but I fear Suzie will drop by and trample it like usual. So my lips are sealed, the truth will never get out!