Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What kind of MMORPG graphic do you prefer?

MaurgrimMaurgrim Member RarePosts: 1,324
It's 2018 and soon 2019, when you see a new MMORPG pop up does graphic really matters when you see the first screenshot?
Graphic, does it matter?
  1. Ninendo graphics from the 90s works for me40 votes
    1. Ok graphic not great but kinda old.
        5.00%
    2. General graphic not really bad but no that good, It's ok
      47.50%
    3. I need top notch graphic.
      45.00%
    4. Graphics?, what's that I play muds
        2.50%

Comments

• MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    I'm okay with blunted edge graphics so long as the aesthetic is generally pleasing.  By that I mean, objects in the environmental appear logically arranged and fit the theme of the environment, and the textures aren't ugly as sin.
    craftseekerdelete5230AlBQuirky

• AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    I am not tied to a particular form of graphics. I care about feeling immersed.  I was fine, for example, with WoW graphics (and EQ in its day). 
    [Deleted User]craftseekerdelete5230[Deleted User]AlBQuirkyGorwePsym0n

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• VhayneVhayne Member UncommonPosts: 632
    I still want an Everquest-like mmo with Dark Souls graphics.  Dark, crisp, gritty, with incredible lighting and animation.
    [Deleted User]delete5230
  • jusomdudejusomdude Member RarePosts: 2,706
    Graphics that run 60 fps on mediocre hardware while not looking like crap.
    delete5230Psym0nfree2playAllerleirauh
  • hallucigenocidehallucigenocide Member RarePosts: 1,015
    whatever looks Ok a few years down the road.
    probably why i favor more cartoonish styles over the realistic approach a lot of people seem to want.
    delete5230d_20

I had fun once, it was terrible.

• CryomatrixCryomatrix Member EpicPosts: 3,223
    I votes top notch . . .  But i am liking project gorgon and will pick it up if it goes on a 50% sale at Christmas. Seems like a nice in between PoE game for me.
    Catch me streaming at twitch.tv/cryomatrix
    You can see my sci-fi/WW2 book recommendations. 
  • iixviiiixiixviiiix Member RarePosts: 2,256
    Around 2012~2014 graphic level .
    craftseekerdelete5230
  • craftseekercraftseeker Member RarePosts: 1,740
    I don't expect, or want, an MMORPG MMO to have cutting-edge graphics. I do expect it to be visually appealing and self consistent. A reasonable frame rate (30fps) and that it be well drawn. That's enough for me.
    delete5230d_20
  • CaffynatedCaffynated Member RarePosts: 753
    edited December 2018
    GW2 is about what I would consider optimal graphics. It looks good while still being able to portray hundreds of models and large open areas.

BDO is beautiful on ultra, but you have to turn it down to fugly graphic settings to play it in large fights, which defeats the whole purpose.
    delete5230d_20
  • delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081
    edited December 2018
    This will sound cold, but 30% vote top notch ?  
    That's 30% selfish, inexperienced dreaming and not thinking about what a true mmorpg is.  A vast open world of deep and interesting mystery.  

YOU CAN'T have both it's just a fact... This is shallow gameplay thinking.
    alkarionlogcraftseekerDibdabsAsm0deusMaurgrimAdamantine
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,818
    Good but does not have to be top notch.
    craftseeker
  • ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
     Graphics dont matter to me at all , its gameplay that makes the difference . some of the best looking games out today have shit and shallow gameplay you dont have to look far , we are surrounded by it..
    delete5230d_20
  • cribettcribett Member UncommonPosts: 135
    Isometric
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,937
    edited December 2018
    That's 30% selfish, inexperienced dreaming and not thinking about what a true mmorpg is.  A vast open world of deep and interesting mystery.  

So, by your logic, isn't it selfish of you with a lesser computer to disregard those who have invested in great machines so they can have a top notch experience?

What a true mmorpg is? It certainly has nothing to do with every game having to be made for everyone.

Not sure why you felt compelled to put "A vast open world of deep and interesting mystery?"

Amazing graphics and "deep game play" are two different things. One can have shallow game play and still have crappy graphics.

This has to be one of the weirdest posts I've read.

on topic, I prefer the best graphics but can do with middle of the Road graphics if the art design is good.
    [Deleted User]DibdabsAsm0deus
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • alkarionlogalkarionlog Member EpicPosts: 3,584
    I don't care much for graphics as long it fits, and get the job done, but also not that really old thing, example wow is too old for me to even care if it existed once, don't matter how many times they "try" to update it, i'm ok with gw2 graphics though, even anime ones, the real looking ones I do like but I find then tend to get old fast and start to get heavy when you need the most, with in gw2 I never had a issue
    FOR HONOR, FOR FREEDOM.... and for some money.
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,937
    edited December 2018
    Sovrath said:

So, by your logic, isn't it selfish of you with a lesser computer to disregard those who have invested in great machines so they can have a top notch experience?

What a true mmorpg is? It certainly has nothing to do with every game having to be made for everyone.

Not sure why you felt compelled to put "A vast open world of deep and interesting mystery?"

Amazing graphics and "deep game play" are two different things. One can have shallow game play and still have crappy graphics.

He's pulling facts out of his weird opinions as usual. Just ignore him.
    But it's just so odd!

And can personal taste really be selfish? I mean, it's what one likes/dislikes. No one is being forced to buy a game they can't run or that has an art design they don't like.

Ahhhhhhhhhh!!!!
    [Deleted User]
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432
    edited December 2018
    Amathe said:
    I am not tied to a particular form of graphics. I care about feeling immersed.  I was fine, for example, with WoW graphics (and EQ in its day). 
    Same here, except WoW graphics originally turned me off. Having a little architecture background (high school studies), the buildings leaned a bit too much for my tastes. However, when I tried again later (BC Expac?) they were acceptable to me then.

EQ I never had trouble with. They were considered "top o' the line" back then (1997), requiring players to invest in a 3D video card to play. Seeing the original graphics now (EQ1999) and they show their age badly.

Then again, I enjoy playing MineCraft, and those graphics are not "top notch" by any stretch :)

It does depend on the game and setting  for me, like you said :)

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• parpinparpin Member UncommonPosts: 220
    in video games graphics help with immersion a lot, if it is beautiful it will help you greatly to immerse yourself into that world, it is very important in my opinion.
  • delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081
    Sovrath said:
    Sovrath said:

He's pulling facts out of his weird opinions as usual. Just ignore him.
    But it's just so odd!

And can personal taste really be selfish? I mean, it's what one likes/dislikes. No one is being forced to buy a game they can't run or that has an art design they don't like.

Ahhhhhhhhhh!!!!
    It's not odd, 
    You can't have BOTH..... I'm talking about an mmorpg not a game-online.  Games-on line are shallow because all resources are put into graphics.  30 days worth of content.

Yes it's selfish to cater to the greater machines people ! 
    No I'm not selfish I have a greater machine.
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Whether its heavily cartoonised, anime, cell shaded or photorealistic, i want them to be top notch. I want awesome environments, terrain and weather effects, flora and fauna. Though to be fair i also want music and background 'ambience' sounds etc. to be of the same standard, and the games writing, creative, moving, entertaining. Basically, i want it all  :p
    Dibdabs
  • XasapisXasapis Member RarePosts: 6,337
    In terms of graphics mmorpgs are doomed to aim as high as possible. The reason is simple, they are projects with a life span of decades, which mean that they need to plan ahead and have an engine that is moddable enough to get constant upgrades. If that is not possible, they need to have an art style that allows for graceful ageing.

Usually, the aim is a combination of both. The better the engine, the less compromises need to be made in the art department.

Think graphics engine as the foundation of a building. They need to be solid enough to withstand expansions and the passing of time.
    d_20
  • XasapisXasapis Member RarePosts: 6,337
    Gorwe said:
    Don't care about graphics that much, as long as the art is sound. Though I'm not that keen on WoW style tbh. I prefer something more realistic, perhaps something like Vermintide.
    So 1st person ESO. Is there any other mmorpg with 1st person and decent graphics?
    Gorwe[Deleted User]
  • d_20d_20 Member RarePosts: 1,878
    edited December 2018
    Cartoon. It ages way better: WoW, Wildstar, Albion, Fortnite, Civ 6, Dauntless, that sort of thing. Still WoW is the best and a WoW 2 would be awesome. I don't like when the landscape is a painting. If you see it, you should be able to get to it somehow. That's the best part of Azeroth. 

The worst graphics for me are like EQ2 -- you can see horribly that aged. I don't like figures that look shiny, like plastic or clay.  

ART STYLE is king for me, too.
    deniterdelete5230

• AnthurAnthur Member UncommonPosts: 961
    2D or even 2,5D graphics don't do it for me. We are not in 1999 anymore. ;)
    Beside that I don't care much for graphics. I must like the art style (e.g. I don't like WoW art style and prefer EQ2').
    I also don't like it when graphics get too realistic. We are not there yet but we are getting close to graphics which look like reality. Don't really want to see how someone gets beheaded in reality.
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Know why it should matter?
    Graphics are the very core of a VIDEO game,they help to bring the world to life render objects to look believable/real.
    Graphics is basically 90% of a game,without them ,you have the engine and empty artwork.If i wasn't so lazy i would load up a simple map and show you what it looks like without the FACE.

IF anyone says graphics don't matter,they are either completely ignorant of graphics or are lying.

yeah i said i was lazy so this is someone else's video.Skip to 40 seconds and you'll see what a blank map and a character looks like with no textures/face,it is NOT what anyone would accept for gaming.
    Graphics matter 100%.
    What i feel the OP is actually eluding too is level of detail.This also matters to me because lack of detail does a WORSE job of bringing the visual to life. There are of course several levels of detail,i feel most accept them somewhere in between.I doubt there is a single person that needs 10/10 graphics,well perfect could never be achieved anyhow.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.