Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

All those old zones..

Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686
This is the only game that gives people reason to continously travel trough all the world and do meaningfull comtent in all those zones..
unlike many otther games where people only play the last expansion..

this makes this world feel much larger then it actually is..
for people that love open world comtemt this is the best game..
espescially with the dynamic events that make no experience exactly the same.

this is the main reason i keep returning to this game time after time..
its also the only game where playing alts doesnt feel like loosing time on your main..

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

Octagon7711Tutu2ReverielleSmashix

Comments

• ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    edited December 2018
    Well thats not true at all ..

UO gives players of all levels reason to go to visit any area in the world all the time ..

As does FF14

As does FF11

Im certain there are others ...   ESO also comes to mind ..
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    My favorite MMO.  The old areas needed re-exploration as going over everything with mounts made a large difference.  Made it a lot easier to get to some areas that took awhile before.  

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• CelciusCelcius Member RarePosts: 1,869
    edited December 2018
    Scorchien said:

UO gives players of all levels reason to go to visit any area in the world all the time ..

As does FF14

As does FF11

erm, I think reasons to go to old zones in ff14 is stretching it. I mean, yeah, if you are leveling alts you are going to old zones. Doesn't make them that relevant though. Basically zones in ff14 that aren't in the current expansion are about as relevant as old WoW zones. They are there for leveling alts at this point. Yeah sure, you level alts on the same character, but it is still the same thing. 

The only MMOs where old zones are relevant are GW2 / ESO and Sandboxes really. Maybe a few scaling games that I missed that let you play in low level zones at max level. I do think that GW2 has the most relevant old zones though as there is always a reason to go to them between unique rewards only available in certain level ranges, the bosses,some living world updates,ect. ESO is similar in that way. Even sandboxes you really don't visit old zones past a certain point. Even a game like UO; you aren't going to find much value anymore in visiting north of Britain when you have access to the most recent expansion. 

All that said though, I don't really think it matters. As games become older, old zones become less interesting anyways. The designers learn from those zones and make more interesting ones usually. It is also nice to just move on and get new things. You can't really keep pumping out new areas without eventually making the old areas not serve as much of a purpose (Yes, this includes GW2 / ESO). 

The most that can be done is some kind of reward system that gives you a reason to go to a specific zone, but those are still limited. If the rewards you get from the bonus are from that zone, and you had those rewards anyways; it is still pointless. If the rewards are generic, you might wait for the best zone to pop up to farm for them, or you have them from all the other bonus rewards popping up for other specific zones in prior weeks / weekends. 
    Celcius said:
    Scorchien said:

As does FF14

As does FF11

erm, I think reasons to go to old zones in ff14 is stretching it. I mean, yeah, if you are leveling alts you are going to old zones. Doesn't make them that relevant though. Basically zones in ff14 that aren't in the current expansion are about as relevant as old WoW zones. They are there for leveling alts at this point. Yeah sure, you level alts on the same character, but it is still the same thing. 

The only MMOs where old zones are relevant are GW2 / ESO and Sandboxes really. Maybe a few scaling games that I missed that let you play in low level zones at max level. 
    really whats different ..

In both .. you enter zone at lvl to content , complete quests and dynamic events , you gain experience , currency and gear....

whats different
    edited December 2018
    Scorchien said:
    Celcius said:
    Scorchien said:

As does FF14

As does FF11

The only MMOs where old zones are relevant are GW2 / ESO and Sandboxes really. Maybe a few scaling games that I missed that let you play in low level zones at max level. 

In both .. you enter zone at lvl to content , complete quests and dynamic events , you gain experience , currency and gear....

whats different
    The difference is: In gw2 you can do this all on your main. In FF14 you do it on alts. (Again, even though it is the same character in ff14, you are still effectively an alt when you switch jobs.) 
    Celcius said:
    Scorchien said:
    Celcius said:
    Scorchien said:

As does FF14

As does FF11

whats different
    The difference is: In gw2 you can do this all on your main. In FF14 you do it on alts. 
    No wrong ... On FF14 can do every job and every crafting profesion on one character , and also when you lvl Lancer for ex.. you will get X job skills that will help your Bard class for ex .. on and on with every Job come X job skills that can be accessed to assist your Main Job....

Simialr to UO when folks all the time are dropping back with Main to train upo skill you may not have SOulstoned .. and thats 21 years old ...

its nothing new or unique ... just a nice qol feature some MMOS have
    edited December 2018
    Scorchien said:
    Celcius said:
    Scorchien said:
    Celcius said:
    Scorchien said:

As does FF14

As does FF11

whats different
    The difference is: In gw2 you can do this all on your main. In FF14 you do it on alts. 
    No wrong ... On FF14 can do every job and every crafting profesion on one character , and also when you lvl Lancer for ex.. you will get X job skills that will help your Bard class for ex .. on and on with every Job come X job skills that can be accessed to assist your Main Job....

Simialr to UO when folks all the time are dropping back with Main to train upo skill you may not have SOulstoned .. and thats 21 years old ...

Again, I disagree. I consider switching jobs to a new job at lower level the effective same thing as playing an alt in a different game. I would also like to point out that no one can be wrong in this debate, as there is no right or wrong. This is solely opinion oriented. 

There is a huge difference in UO. You have access to set skills all the time. Soulstones are like different characters as well. Since you level up those skills individually / seperately. In ff14 you have access to a limited set of abilities based on what job you are. Much like...you know, alts.

If you think your argument is sound then, by your logic: Every MMO ever has all zones relevant all the time; because alts. If you are fine with that, I am too. 
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    GW2 and ESO allows for going to every faction area to level and picking up skill points.  SWTOR has some dailies and a few high level quests on starter planets.  It's always nice when starting out to see high level characters running around that are trying to kill you in one shot.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

Celcius said:
    Scorchien said:
    Celcius said:
    Scorchien said:
    Celcius said:
    Scorchien said:

As does FF14

As does FF11

whats different

Again, I disagree. I consider switching jobs to a new job at lower level the effective same thing as playing an alt in a different game. I would also like to point out that no one can be wrong in this debate, as there is no right or wrong. This is solely opinion oriented. 

There is a huge difference in UO. You have access to set skills all the time. Soulstones are like different characters as well. Since you level up those skills individually / seperately. In ff14 you have access to a limited set of abilities based on what job you are. Much like...you know, alts.

If you think your argument is sound then, by your logic: Every MMO ever has all zones relevant all the time; because alts. If you are fine with that, I am too. 
    you can disagree all you want , but its still your Main , and it effects your Main in numerous ways ..

ANd now you are moving goalposts , the OP was stating the relevance of Zones .. Thats what i was commenting on and its still true .. All the games i listed and others fly right in the face of that logic .. as there systems regardless of what you or i think of Alt/Main implications ..

The response was that old content is still relevant in those games .. and it is ...
  • Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686
    Scorchien said:
    Celcius said:
    Scorchien said:
    Celcius said:
    Scorchien said:
    Celcius said:
    Scorchien said:

As does FF14

As does FF11

whats different

you can disagree all you want , but its still your Main , and it effects your Main in numerous ways ..

ANd now you are moving goalposts , the OP was stating the relevance of Zones .. Thats what i was commenting on and its still true .. All the games i listed and others fly right in the face of that logic .. as there systems regardless of what you or i think of Alt/Main implications ..

The response was that old content is still relevant in those games .. and it is ...
    its still relevant, but not for your favorite build..

in gw2 its all relevant for every build..

both games try to archieve the same thing..

GW2 succeeeds much better at this in my opinion. Not only because of the way the characters work, but also how the zones work with dynamic events and espescially how the main storry takes sidesteps to old zones..

in GW2 it feels part of the world, in FF14 it feels kind of like a gimmick...

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)