Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why Gamers of a Certain Age Can’t Wait for Legends of Aria - MMORPG.com

Comments

• ManWithNoTanManWithNoTan Member UncommonPosts: 96
    The fact that the PVP crowd loses their gear makes me playing a blacksmith a lot more fun.
    jgerblickKinring
  • ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    Sovrath said:

SBFord said:

I'm of a "certain age", but I don't buy into the whole nostalgia thing that the industry is keen on these days. I love the new so much more. It's like saying that those who are of a "certain age" want flip phones back. Not me...give me the latest and greatest smart phone and I'm a happy camper. :D

I'll probably dabble in LoA, but that's about it.

We don't want flip phones, we want rotary dials on our smart phones... :(

I actually bought a girlfriend a rotary dial phone, original phone 70's , never taken out of the box, as she hated how cheap the new phones were.

They are much better devices (other than dialing numbers with a lot of 9's and 0's)
    I have a Rotary phone in my kitchen .. :)   there great ... when the power goes out they still work , and why i keep it
    [Deleted User]SovrathGdemamiGobstopper3D
  • CryomatrixCryomatrix Member EpicPosts: 3,223
    edited December 2018
    I love rotary phones. One of these days, if I ever get my own office at work, i'll buy one of those old phones that you need two hands to use and plug it into the outlet. I'll get a rush just by using it. It'll be so cool. 

I remember distinctly my friend who lived with his grand parents had a lime green rotary phone stuck up on the wall next to their refrigerator. 

That was back in the day where you need to remember people's phone numbers. 
    Post edited by Cryomatrix on
    Catch me streaming at twitch.tv/cryomatrix
    You can see my sci-fi/WW2 book recommendations. 
  • kjempffkjempff Member RarePosts: 1,759
    edited December 2018
    Everything mentioned except the "unrestricted pvp".. a pve sandbox instead, kthanks.

"Luckily for them, they have just about the gamut of MMORPGs to choose from for a safe"
    That is exactly what we don't have.. it is all story driven mmorpgs and what we want is all that sandbox stuff just without the gankbox part - And no games provide that. EqNext was going to be that, but that never happened.

But yes I am also enjoying Legend of Aria at the moment, it is quite simple and in its current state not something I will stick with for a long time, and if it turns gankbox then I will def. not stick around..but that remains to be seen where it will go.
    Post edited by kjempff on
    collektanemo
  • ManestreamManestream Member UncommonPosts: 941
    Well i couldnt get into the open beta weekend, it was saying that i was not elegible that it was only for new account holders only.

After talking with support, they finally sent me a link on sunday but by the time i got that and downloaded the servers had been shut off :(

All i can do is go off what the game looks like and after watching a couple of streams it does look alot like Albion Online and that game sucked. Right now, i am not even remotely hyped at all about this game as i feel it will probably flop.
  • bobbymcswansonbobbymcswanson Member UncommonPosts: 204
    Will be playing this with my old UO squad we can't wait....
    jgerblick
  • lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    Wtf is this thread, Relics United? Guys, being old is fine, just like a good wine. No need to flaunt it though...

Unless you want everybody below the age of 45 to feel young, in which case I will simply say: thank you!

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    ConstantineMerus
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

• bobbymcswansonbobbymcswanson Member UncommonPosts: 204

SBFord said:

I'm of a "certain age", but I don't buy into the whole nostalgia thing that the industry is keen on these days. I love the new so much more. It's like saying that those who are of a "certain age" want flip phones back. Not me...give me the latest and greatest smart phone and I'm a happy camper. :D

I'll probably dabble in LoA, but that's about it.

That's a horrible comparison....we are talking about mechanics here your metaphor works better if we are talking about graphics.....in fact that's the only way it works....

The "latest and greatest" when it comes to games are a hand holding solo player Care Bear fest.....if that's great you can keep your fucking smart phone....
    Gdemami
  • jgerblickjgerblick Member CommonPosts: 2
    edited December 2018
    Regarding some comments about "a certain age," you don't have to be 40+ to have enjoyed Ultima Online and Everquest. I was born in 1990 and enjoyed both immensely.
    MadFrenchie
  • WargfootYVWargfootYV Member UncommonPosts: 261
    Apparently the author doesn't remember early UO.

First, most people who played the game hated the open world PVP and full looting. In fact, the outcry against that was so loud the developers came up with 'Trammel' and 95% of the population moved there at the very first opportunity. So the first problem with this article is the selective memory - the fact is most people, even at the height of UO, hated the very two features of the game that the author thinks people really, really want to see again. In short: The author has a very selective memory.

Second, for real PvP types there are tons of games already available. What I mean by real PvP types is people who actually want to fight other equally equipped players. These would be the PvP types who actually enjoy a good fight as opposed to the mental midgets who think the 6:1 ganking of lone miners is 'adding to the atmosphere of the game' and 'essential for a healthy economy'. Gankers add nothing to a game at all. In short: Why go here when real PvP types have dozens of games that feature equally equipped players to battle?

Third, we as a community need to exclude the word 'Hardcore PvP' from our vocabulary. The PKs in UO were the biggest bunch of cowards to ever grace a virtual world with their presence. Gating into a noob zone and destroying players trying to get enough resources together to make their first set of armor, only to gate out again at the first hint of trouble, isn't 'Hardcore PvP', it is asshole PvP.

The fond memory of ganking helpless people isn't going to be relived in any modern game so you'd better get over it. The lawlessness and high return on anti-social behavior was a FLAW in the game and not a feature anyone should try to emulate. Those that have tried cater to the smallest of populations and soon fail. As it turns out, most people are unwilling to spend hours harvesting resources so that your neon haired character 'PiMpM@aster' can ride in, throw down a spell, and leave with a full backpack.

Those that want open world PvP have dozens of options. Those unsatisfied with those options don't miss the challenge of open world PvP, they miss the easy loot gained through poor game mechanics.

GlacianNex[Deleted User]danwest58Tuor7kjempffVyntTacticalZombehColdrenRenndtirwenand 1 other.
  • SamhaelSamhael Member RarePosts: 1,498
    Good article -- I'm not sure the intended effect was to make sure I had LoA crossed off my list without a doubt but it certainly accomplished that. (I'm serious about the "good article" part -- it's saved me time/effort and I appreciate that!)
    [Deleted User]WargfootYV
  • BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979
    edited December 2018
    I will say (as I always say) that the peak of UO was after Renaissance - when they split the world in Trammel (PVE) and Felucca (PVP).

They also shortly after introduced the Faction War in Felucca, and they kept Felucca only "hardcore" realms like Siege Perilous.

Give players choice. Give players what they want.

I loved UO. I played on Great Lakes and Atlantic, mostly PvE in Trammel and Faction Wars in Felucca, and I also played on the hardcore Siege Perilous shard in a RP guild doing purely PvP.

Any game that attempts to capture the "magic" of late 90's / early 00's UO / EQ type games that doesn't offer this BASIC choice, is seriously limited their potential.
    [Deleted User]danwest58
  • GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    So uh,
    what exactly is a "Certain age"?

• ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    edited December 2018
       Sorry guys , but ive played UO all 21 years now and i have a Founders pack for LoA and have played every build including the latest ..

LoA does not hold a candle to UO , its not even a discussion , UO is imo better in every conceivable way ..

Do not be fooled by imitations , there is still only one way to get the UO experience and thats ....

https://uo.com/

[Deleted User]caganGdemami
  • danwest58danwest58 Member RarePosts: 2,012
    LoA will fail. I will tell you that right now. As someone who played UO I can tell you I loved UO more after they created Tram and Fel because I didnt always have to worry about some ganker killing my crafter. The Developers of LOA are arrogant and so is the small player base this game has to think they will just create what amounts to a small game and think it will be around long term. It will not. Yea Games like UO still are around and have private servers that are basically dead. And you have MO which is also dead. The Developers didnt put any effort into really coming up with a new game, they could have just taken UO and made their own private server with the same stuff.

I will disagree on the nostalgia bullshit posted here though. Some people like playing certain type of games. Like me I do not like at all any of the newer MMORPGs because they are not MMORPGS they are single player you are the hero based games. I hate them with a passion. Just because I would play a game like Pantheon, Ashes of Creation, Classic WOW and Camelot Unchained it does not mean I am playing it for Nostalgia. I am playing it because I like these style of games which push community and people to work together as a team. And I dont care for the P2W slot machines MMORPGS have become.

Back to LoA. I agree with @BadSpock for once here. Having a game that forces OW PVP with looting is killing their potential. Only a few thousand players of Trammel players think its a good idea to go this route. This is why UO Private servers that do not have Tram and MO only have a thousand to two thousand players on them. No one wants to play a game where at any time they can be killed and lose everything. I would rather play a game like SWG that made my gear break after a while where I would just grab my next set of gear and keep going. Add to that I loved SWG PVP way more than UO.
    CazrielkjempffBadSpock
  • danwest58danwest58 Member RarePosts: 2,012
    @Wargfootyv

Dont forget the PVPers who thought they would PVP by running into their house and hiding then coming out and attacking you. There were so many of these guys it was unreal. Now there was some really good PVPers in UO. A good friend of mine and his real life friend were 2. they would just fight reds and all day long. They also would kill the alts of these reds.
    jgerblickWargfootYV
  • CazrielCazriel Member RarePosts: 419

Albatroes said:

The real thing they want though (those that say it at least) is for that to apply across the board because it creates an environment where people force themselves to work with others to get things done.

No. I'm really against forcing people to do anything they don't naturally want to do. Fun isn't what somebody else decides you need to do. Fun is what engages you. Forcing people to group doesn't make grouping fun, it just makes people who don't want to group cross. And that goes around, making everyone cross. So "the real thing they want" is for developers and other gamers to stop making judgments about people who don't fit the norm.

So, no thank you.
    [Deleted User]
  • MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    So uh,

You.  You're a certain age. :D 
    SovrathBeezerbeez[Deleted User]Xarko

• BeezerbeezBeezerbeez Member UncommonPosts: 302
    edited December 2018
    So uh,

How specific is a certain age? It is a certain range of ages? What sort of significant figures are we dealing with? Is this best shown in years or other units? I am 39, of that I am fairly certain.

Edit:

This game looks pretty fun. I think I know what the certain age is now. 
    MadFrenchiejgerblick
  • MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    edited December 2018
    So uh,

How specific is a certain age? It is a certain range of ages? What sort of significant figures are we dealing with? Is this best shown in years or other units? I am 39, of that I am fairly certain.

Edit:

I think it should be measured in how many haircuts you've had so far.  Naturally, the more haircuts you have, the older you must be!

I'm 187 haircuts old. :D 
    Sovrath[Deleted User]Beezerbeez

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    So uh,

Edit:

I think it should be measured in how many haircuts you've had so far.  Naturally, the more haircuts you have, the older you must be!

I'm 187 haircuts old. :D 
    You really are mad.
    MadFrenchieBeezerbeez
  • GinazGinaz Member RarePosts: 2,470
    edited December 2018
    I played this a bit and I didn't care for it at all. It was way too "old school" for me and very clunky. And lets not kid ourselves, the main reason games like UO and even Everquest were as popular as they were is because there was almost no competition at the time. As much as some people bemoan it's existence, one could argue that Trammel "saved" UO as the population actually went up, not down as many suggest, after it was released. No one really wanted to play a game that actively tried to crush your balls then and that sentiment is even more prevalent today.
    Post edited by Ginaz on
    [Deleted User]ZenJellyceratop001TacticalZombeh

Is a man not entitled to the herp of his derp?

Remember, I live in a world where juggalos and yugioh players are real things.

• kjempffkjempff Member RarePosts: 1,759

SBFord said:

That's a horrible comparison....we are talking about mechanics here your metaphor works better if we are talking about graphics.....in fact that's the only way it works....
    Exactly! It is so tiresome to hear the nostalgia word being used to dismiss something.
    Sure for some minority it is about nostalgia, but what it is really about is that those older games just had better mechanics - Finding back to that is the first step towards better games.

THEn hopefully those games will evolve on that, because the same with slightly better graphics is pointless ... except as a stepping stone. And I sure hope Legend of Aria will go further than being a copy of UO, same goes for Pantheon and what else have we ?
    SovrathZenJelly
  • btdtbtdt Member RarePosts: 523
    Wizardry said:
    ... I just want a really well designed game because mmorpg's take up a LOT of our time...
    Right there is the problem... if you feel like it's taking up a lot of your time, then it's not fun but a rather chore.  As the old saying goes... time flies when you are having fun.

Even someone who is addicted to these games doesn't see it as taking up a lot of their time.

A good MMORPG will eat into your life and you won't even notice or care.  A mediocre one is one that you manage your time with.

• cagancagan Member UncommonPosts: 445
    I would play runescape on my browser rather than touching this game... Maybe i will take another look at it after 6 months, if it didnt shut down or go F2P with a cash shop. Albion online anyone???