Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Officially The Greatest YEAR Ever For SC Crowdfunding

Comments

• XarkoXarko Member EpicPosts: 1,180
    When your game has fans like Babuinix, it doesn't even need critics.
    [Deleted User]sgelKefommolouBabuinixBeansnBreadNilden
  • MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    MaxBacon said:
    It doesn't matter that a tester doesn't have the technical expertise to point you to the line in the code where the issue lies.

Testers aren't required to be technically competent, not when you sell the access to work-in-progress builds like this.  They aren't even really testers, but merely normal consumers.
    Then they shouldn't be using technical terminology... If they say something "I dislike how the ship handling and movement plays out while flying", for a dev he already knows the complaint is aimed at physics.

See on the most common issue with physics on this and most games, the collisions where you clip through things, people to say "I clipped through the ground" as general feedback, the devs will know the feedback is about collisions with their physics.
    Physics isn't a technical term?  It's pretty widely understood and used.  It certainly doesn't take a dev to know what you mean when you say game physics.  Was there another term you were referencing with that point?
    mmolou

• MaxBaconMaxBacon Member LegendaryPosts: 7,766
    edited December 2018
    Physics isn't a technical term?  It's pretty widely understood and used.  It certainly doesn't take a dev to know what you mean when you say game physics.  Was there another term you were referencing with that point?
    Okay say you clipped through the ground playing the game. And instead of mentioning you clipped through the ground you'll just complain about the physics being terrible. That's when it just becomes useless, on a game as this the physics term is just a category where all its different physics systems would fall into.

It might be widely used but on the case it would fall wrong because it doesn't aim at anything in concrete. It's like saying on Mass Effect 4 you saying "animations are terrible" talking about the facial animation, it would be too broad to understand what do you mean, they are both on the animation category but they are different things.
    Babuinix said:
    Babuinix said:
    Hashbrick said:
    Babuinix said:
    Terrible is a great feedback, I'm sure the Dev's will look into it B)

Nothing to do on planets/spacestations? I guess you didn't even try doing missions right.

Seems you putted more effort in this "review" than you did playing the game lol :D
    I wouldn't expect anything different coming out of your mouth.  You've been part of the yes men about as long as this dream existed.

Terrible is great feedback, cause it describes distressingly bad or serious issues.  How else do you describe a function that doesn't work.

Star Trek Nerd Voice: "Well you see the quantum 2xR reversal of the airship speed doesn't match the MD5 hash of the sequence of the parallel universe doesn't coincide with the flip to repeat ration of the certified helix"

Get rekted.

Can you prove it's not terrible, can you show me any the things I listed as terrible to actually work correctly?  Spin your ship, sorry but ships don't spin like that in space.... 
    Ahh poor troll doesnt know how to play so just says nothing works and "its all terrible prove me wrong" lol

You dont need me to prove you wrong, just go watch streamers or youtubers and reketed yourself lol
    Your close to being the first person I report for trolling yourself, and it's not because you offended me or anyone specifically, but because you've dedicated your account here to that goal.

Seriously, you need to check yourself.
    If by that goal you mean calling out the constant bullshit thrown into a game being developed sure lol

Happy to oblige and sorry if time and time again keeps prooven mme right
    Again, it isn't a specific comment.  You're here to stir that shit anytime you get an opening.

All of us make comments that sometimes push the line of appropriate or within the forum rules.  That doesn't bother me.  Your consistent effort to label anyone who criticizes the game with derogatory names is at once pitiful and annoying.  And before your inevitable response: nobody cares about your trying to push blame elsewhere.  You can't control posts by others, only your own.  And you consistently escalate debate on this title unnecessarily.
    mmolou

• alkarionlogalkarionlog Member EpicPosts: 3,584
    edited December 2018
    Babuinix said:
    With the release of it's latest updates Star Citizen killed 2 birds with one stone by improving optimization and adding new content.

Allowing it's players to double and even in some cases triple their FPS along with landing on Hurston, a massive earth-like planet  with different biomes a MegaCity and most importantly, breathable atmosphere. Players are finally able remove their space suit and run wild in the landscape, ranging from mountains, flourishing savannas, deserts, massive scrapyards, lakes and islands all in with time day/night cycle with sunsets/rises that take your breath away.

Adding to the updates came also the Anniversary Sale along with the Free-Flight-Week Event, bringing with it thousands of new players and ofc money, lots and lots of money!

In fact it brought so much that this month became the best month ever for CIG in all it's crowdfunding campaign topping the previous best month, Nov 2013!

​Nov 2018 (as of 3PM PST) = $7,889,279 » « Nov 2013 = $7,871,634

Congratulations Citizens and welcome new recruits :D

just a little heads up, when I read a headline like this I was thinking so tehy finally launched the game or the very least they put a launch date for the game, I enter and see none of it, I dare to say it even a pretty small thing, something you shouldn't even notice much if the game is what you try to sell.

[mod edit]
    Post edited by Vaross on
    mmolou
    FOR HONOR, FOR FREEDOM.... and for some money.
  • lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    Babuinix said:
    Robsolf said:
    Ever wonder why they don't show you this in one seamless video?
    Well they don't need to, you just log in and play the game and do these things. Guess if you're not able to do basic research you're also not into seeing 5+hour gaming sessions either lol
    lahnmir said:
    Hey, nothing wrong with being a fan mate, I pledged because of your information about the system requirements and don’t regret it. I also think the last patch is pretty amazing.

But.

The constant high fiving and bum fondling over every minor detail (how you can celebrate funding milestones as if they are the best thing ever when there is no actual relation between those and the quality or state of the actual game is beyond me) is in stark contrast with your mocking and curb stomping of any and all criticism, legit or not. It makes you look untrustworthy, a caricature if you like.

Maybe you don’t mind, I think it is a shame because you could be much more then a clown in the average discussion about SC. You do actually know a lot about it and there is nothing wrong with being enthusiastic.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir 
    I call it how I see it, there's plenty of trolls and haters who like to lie, obfuscate and generally sling mud at Star Citizen because they're but-hurt about it for some reason or another and I'm happy to expose them and if by doing so I get to ridicule them then so be it lol

You say that makes me untrustworthy while admitting you bought the game because of information I provided here so I dunno man seems kind of a contradiction but at the same time I'm glad you're seeing the progress and don't regret it.

Calling me a clown for exposing haters and having fun while doing it doesn't seem very accurate, considering I'm one of the few actually straightening lies with facts and calling all the past drama post's of their irrelevance way before they become in fact irrelevant. 

There's a common trend, trolls/haters/cynics say "X , Y , Z is impossible to do, CIG can't do it", "CIG is running out of money blahblah" CIG actually does it, community enjoys the update, new players join, money comes in, explores the content, videos and screenshots galore, trolls/haters/cynics go into hiding and think about any other thing to hate about, some weeks after the update and things calm down they come back with the some other thing to drama about lol

Rinse & Repeat

Nothing changes in the real world of game development, CIG keeps on developing the game and making millions in the process while it community keeps growing and having fun. That's just the way it is. Me posting and celebrating every million is just cherry on top tbh B)

Yeah, clown was an unlucky word, I edited it out. 

What it comes down to for me is that when you post positive stuff about SC you seem like an intelligent and well spoken person with quite a bit of knowledge. But when battling criticism your IQ seems to drop about 30 points and you become a mud slinging neanderthal. And no, ‘because they do it too’ isn’t a valid excuse. I know there are trolls and haters but there is actual, valid criticism as well, and you sweep that under the rug with the rest. You can slap those trolls over the head any day btw.

Long story short, I think you are selling yourself short and SC with it.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    MadFrenchieOctagon7711mmolouOdeezee
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

• HashbrickHashbrick Member RarePosts: 1,851
    MaxBacon said:
    Hashbrick said:
    I think you have mmorpg.com confused as a dev feedback forum rather than an opinion forum.

I'm not going to go into detail on every possible physics engine when I'm making a pro/con list  

My point is, as a base, physics is still not ideal and at this point it should have been buffed out.  Specificly space physics, avatar physics. Running around just seems wrong and not smooth.  The FPS engine physics are very inaccurate.

Now you can say in your opinion me saying a blanket statement is terrible feedback and you'd be right, except this isn't feedback.
    Okay fine it isn't feedback, I just get ticked off when people broadly attack physics on a game where its best technology bits involve advanced physics work, you might not see it such as you don't the physic grids on ships or moons/planets but they are rather cool backbones to the game's simulation.
    Look I'm not here to "hate" on this game.  Far from it. I just see 8yrs not necessarily wasted but not working on the core systems that matter.  I think there is too much on the plate and they know it.

I labeled the physics engines I was talking about so it's just not all physics.  I understand the physics of the planets, gravity etc are in the game.  The actual basic movements on a planet and the ships gravity seems to be working correctly.

What kills me is seeing a ship spin so awkward that I want to barf.

As a player for the first time ever to jump into the game this is the stuff I noticed instantly and was the reason it was uninstalled the same night.

I think it could be a great game still, but if it takes 20yrs to get right at what point does it make sense to carry on?

There's a saying, "If you aren't the first you might have missed the mark but there is still hope.  If you are last everything is for naught."
    mmolouOdeezee
    [[ DEAD ]] - Funny - I deleted my account on the site using the cancel account button.  Forum user is separate and still exists with no way of deleting it. Delete it admins. Do it, this ends now.
  • BabuinixBabuinix Member EpicPosts: 4,265
    lahnmir said:

What it comes down to for me is that when you post positive stuff about SC you seem like an intelligent and well spoken person with quite a bit of knowledge. But when battling criticism your IQ seems to drop about 30 points and you become a mud slinging neanderthal. And no, ‘because they do it too’ isn’t a valid excuse. I know there are trolls and haters but there is actual, valid criticism as well, and you sweep that under the rug with the rest. You can slap those trolls over the head any day btw.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    Well that's simple to understand really, I try to waste the minimum time and "intelligence" with haters and trolls because they simply are not worthy lol

The ones actually interested in the game and not drama will surely pick up the good bits here and there, just like you did.
    alkarionlog

just a little heads up, when I read a headline like this I was thinking so tehy finally launched the game or the very least they put a launch date for the game, I enter and see none of it, I dare to say it even a pretty small thing, something you shouldn't even notice much if the game is what you try to sell.

then later you complain when people dismiss you for a little troll with no importance you are...
    It's ok really, game development is not for everyone, whenever there's a release date I'm sure someone will post it before me, sorry to break your expectations.
    alkarionlog
    edited December 2018
    Babuinix said:
    lahnmir said:

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    Well that's simple to understand really, I try to waste the minimum time and "intelligence" with haters and trolls because they simply are not worthy lol

The ones actually interested in the game and not drama will surely pick up the good bits here and there, just like you did.
    Pro tip to save you even more time and intelligence: ignore them.  Shoot them the condescending LOL reaction we all use and move on.
    Octagon7711mmolouEponyxDamor

Babuinix said:
    lahnmir said:

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir

Pro tip to save you even more time and intelligence: ignore them.  Shoot them the condescending LOL reaction we all use and move on.
    Where's the fun in that?  B)
    Hashbrick said:
    Look I'm not here to "hate" on this game.  Far from it. I just see 8yrs not necessarily wasted but not working on the core systems that matter.  I think there is too much on the plate and they know it.

I labeled the physics engines I was talking about so it's just not all physics.  I understand the physics of the planets, gravity etc are in the game.  The actual basic movements on a planet and the ships gravity seems to be working correctly.

As a player for the first time ever to jump into the game this is the stuff I noticed instantly and was the reason it was uninstalled the same night.

I think it could be a great game still, but if it takes 20yrs to get right at what point does it make sense to carry on?

There's a saying, "If you aren't the first you might have missed the mark but there is still hope.  If you are last everything is for naught."
    The physics you'd mention fall on the ship collisions then, that are messy and unpredictable, they are refactoring that but it's quite annoying the problem of relying too much on simulation is that there are a billion different conditions and edge cases it has to deal with, what makes it so devs have less control over weird outcomes.

Ends up being why games prefer scripted behavior to the simulation where they can to simplify and fully control what happens. The visual representation of what physics are doing will have to continuously get polished, this is why even ship movement feels out of place on 3rd person even when the ship is not doing any unrealistic movement.
    MaxBacon said:
    Hashbrick said:

The physics you'd mention fall on the ship collisions then, that are messy and unpredictable, they are refactoring that but it's quite annoying the problem of relying too much on simulation is that there are a billion different conditions and edge cases it has to deal with, what makes it so devs have less control over weird outcomes.

Ends up being why games prefer scripted behavior to the simulation where they can to simplify and fully control what happens. The visual representation of what physics are doing will have to continuously get polished, this is why even ship movement feels out of place on 3rd person even when the ship is not doing any unrealistic movement.

100% that is indeed one of the awful issues.  

Actually you reminded me of another hilarious yet broken part of the game.  We rammed our ship into another player ship just to see what would happen.  I assumed there was some type of grieving system in place as it never actually "hit".  But we got stuck inside their ship for a good minute vibrating around and spinning non-stop until it eventually shot us out the bottom.

I understand simulations are unpredictable but instead of adding trains and stuff that don't matter, let's get on making sure the physics is polished.  All I'm saying.
    MadFrenchieKefoPhaserlight
    [[ DEAD ]] - Funny - I deleted my account on the site using the cancel account button.  Forum user is separate and still exists with no way of deleting it. Delete it admins. Do it, this ends now.
    Babuinix said:
    Babuinix said:
    lahnmir said:

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir

Not looking foolish, like you're on their level?

edited December 2018
    So it seems SC is going for its biggest year on Crowdfunding ever, the anniversary sale was hugely successful that they only need ~2 million dollars in December to get their best crowdfunding year yet. (beating 2016's 36.1 million)

Hashbrick said:

Actually you reminded me of another hilarious yet broken part of the game.  We rammed our ship into another player ship just to see what would happen.  I assumed there was some type of grieving system in place as it never actually "hit".  But we got stuck inside their ship for a good minute vibrating around and spinning non-stop until it eventually shot us out the bottom.

I understand simulations are unpredictable but instead of adding trains and stuff that don't matter, let's get on making sure the physics is polished.  All I'm saying.
    Oh that is the same reason, it's all collisions, when you also clip through things it's also collisions, sometimes also the server network might get in the way and mess up stuff once it catches up. But its a simulation that will be replaced, the people who do this ofc can only be the engineers that do the core tech stuff so this stuff is usually going on for a while as the game develops and releases updates until it's ready, they also have many different systems related to physics they develop at once they just do minimal maintenance on the current solutions to focus resources on the new solution.

So it's one front that will deff improve as they reach new tech milestones, in act they can't increase server pops past 50 players now because of physics, the servers can't use more than 4 CPU cores/threads attm I think per instance so they're refactoring that too on the backend, most likely what we experience right now is physics facing very aggressive performance workarounds to keep their CPU cost down. 
    MaxBacon said:
    So it seems SC is going for its biggest year on Crowdfunding ever, the anniversary sale was hugely successful that they only need ~2 million dollars in December to get their best crowdfunding year yet. (beating 2016's 36.1 million)

Hashbrick said:

Oh that is the same reason, it's all collisions, when you also clip through things it's also collisions, sometimes also the server network might get in the way and mess up stuff once it catches up. But its a simulation that will be replaced, the people who do this ofc can only be the engineers that do the core tech stuff so this stuff is usually going on for a while as the game develops and releases updates until it's ready, they also have many different systems related to physics they develop at once they just do minimal maintenance on the current solutions to focus resources on the new solution.

So it's one front that will deff improve as they reach new tech milestones, in act they can't increase server pops past 50 players now because of physics, the servers can't use more than 4 CPU cores/threads attm I think per instance so they're refactoring that too on the backend, most likely what we experience right now is physics facing very aggressive performance workarounds to keep their CPU cost down. 
    Thanks for the detailed breakdown, appreciate it.  I'm totally down for giving it another try next year, currently it's not for me.
    Babuinix said:
    Babuinix said:
    lahnmir said:

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir

If exposing haters/trolls/cynics bullshit is looking foolish for you I'm ok with that lol

It's not like I'm the one being proved wrong year after year right.  B)
    Babuinix said:
    Babuinix said:
    Babuinix said:
    lahnmir said:

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir

If exposing haters/trolls/cynics bullshit is looking foolish for you I'm ok with that lol

It's not like I'm the one being proved wrong year after year right.  B)
    As @lahnmir asserts, if you would stick to just providing info, you wouldn't.  When you start name-calling and insulting people, you definitely look just as foolish.
    EponyxDamorOctagon7711

• rodarinrodarin Member EpicPosts: 2,611
    Kefo pretty much nailed it. WHEN I post stuff its in the moment. Most of that stuff was 2+ years ago, and even now even though its technically in the test bed most of it still doesnt work.

The 'physics' are not working and that is what I have said all along and they still havent gotten much better. Objects, ships, people all still bounce and flop around when theyre inside something trying to occupy the same space within something else.

And while there have been a few landing ships within ships there is still nothing to date that I have seen that is close to as 'good' (and even in their fake movie their dragonfly disappears and reappears) as that video from what is it now 3 years ago they highlighted as 'gameplay' footage and citizencon or whatever it was.

Also one thing that is getting lost in all this is one of the biggest arguments they used to make about why the thing was taking so long...the engine. You know the one they supposedly rebuilt, the one theyre getting sued over. Guess what theyre not using that one either. Theyre using the conglomeration of whatever they had (if you believe them and their court documents) and whatever Amazon has the rights to. But Amazon actually took them out of the fire in regards to even getting 24 or whatever peopel they can get now. I know they claim 50 or 100 but I havent seen it in any actual in game footage and anything even around 24 turns it into a slide show. Lirik (keep bringing him up because he streamed it for hours) has a pretty decent rig I am sure. Probably better than the ones the guys who had their systems bought by CiG specifically to play SC have and he was churning 20-25 FPS and in some cases in the teens. He also had a few stream snipers, subs and a developer or two all around him. So you had a semi 'normal' expectation but at most he had maybe 10-12 people in the vicinity of he or his ship. And the performance deterioration was palpable.

SO while they continue to add things (things they have talked about for years) these things still arent working. SO not sure if that is a positive or a negative. I guess them showing they at least have some of the technology there to implement them is something. But they have also had partial persistence now for about a year and that hasnt seemed to advance much since they first put it in and the first few patches to make it even rudimentary.

SO at best its a bunch of half or less finished pieces of tech and varying degrees of a developmental process going on here. I am not sure there is a single flawless aspect of this project they can show. (other than the cash shop).

But like I said I will give them SOME credit for getting this thing out and not having the whole server go into convulsions like the past few 'updates' have done.
    Kefo
    edited December 2018
    Hashbrick said:
    Thanks for the detailed breakdown, appreciate it.  I'm totally down for giving it another try next year, currently it's not for me.
    One of the things that SC will require is you to read up and check guides before playing because it's not easy, and especially, it's not linear. They have this sandbox and players do what they want, that is both a good and bad thing because linearity also has a better learning curve, so I keep recommending to check guides, to check especially on the content, such as going to the mission givers / how to unlock them, etc...

For example Hurston the mission giver sends on the new types of missions that they showed recently on the citizencon conference that has the AI turrets defended base and so forfh that showcases that increasing complexity of gameplay, by yourself you won't have any idea you could play that type of content.

The other bit you were talking about, the new flight model btw is Q1 next year 
    Should address a lot of feedback as simply put it is being simplified.
  • ErillionErillion Member EpicPosts: 10,297
    >>> and even in their fake movie  >>>

Ah, i see Mr. "The Moon Landing is FAKE" Rodarin is still on his fake movie crusade ... 3 years in.

On the topic of the thread .... with almost 210 M$ reached I personally think this will be the most successful year of Star Citizen crowdfunding ever.

Detractors keep saying a lot of things ... but the backers obviously think different ... and keep giving .. and many more new backers keep joining. Number of "Star Citizens": almost 2.2 million (of which 800.000 are paying backers in my personal guestestimate)

Have fun

parrotpholk said:
    Has there been any data out there what the avg spend is by backers?

Also I know the basics of mining are in but when do they intend to start introducing the industry type professions?
    The averages are not correct because there is a huge disparity on spending, what is known is that and logically the majority are just starter packages.

The master crowdfunding spreadsheet does show in-depth data on everything there is about it that we can know https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1tMAP0fg-AKScI3S3VjrDW3OaLO4zgBA1RSYoQOQoNSI/edit?usp=sharing

The industry type processions you mean manufacturing?  The professions on its own like mining, are not really industry related, it's more salvaging, repairing, mining, more localized/individualized professions... As for industry that's for later, likely only after base building is around because production nodes are mentioned.
    Erillion
    Just a little bit of definition Nazism: the average is correct for what it is: an average over all backers.

What you're looking for to show how much the majority of backers individually choose to spend is the mode.  The most often amount seen is the starter package amount, indicating most backers spent no more than that, but whales skew the average higher.
    Phaserlight

edited December 2018
    Thank you for the link.  

I understand buying ships is to fund development but I wonder when available in game how they will balance the fact someone pays $400 (sake of discussion) the in game monetary value.  If they make it to far out of reach then you lose people due to not being able to play the way they would like but if you go to cheap then you alienate those who payed that in real money.

I could be very wrong but cannot imagine anyone wanting to tool around in the starter ships for months until they get a ship better for hauling or mining or whatever the case may be.  I am not talking hopping into capital ships or anything either so lets not try and compare extremes.

EVE is a very different design but in theory I could be in a mining frigate in a few hours / days and a hauler in about the same time.  Would not be decked out but could fly it and have some basic functions.

Has this ever been addressed yet?
    SC wants full ownership to have a disparity between the normal ships and the multi-crew ones usually higher tier per X type of gameplay, up to have groups of people pitching in to buy one such would be around the same logic as to what guilds tend to do to be able to buy a guild hall on some titles.

Things as the ability to rent the ships, not just buy them (aka the expensive option) mitigate that issue, the point is allowing you to play with multiple ships without having to own them what allows you to get to different types/tiers of content and earning rates while still making the ownership one attractive option (by likely allowing customization, upgrades, stuff as that).
  • RhimeRhime Member UncommonPosts: 283
    Robsolf said:
    At 2-ish minutes... crazy head/helmet stuff going on.

At 7-ish minutes, the pilot closes the bay door from a breathable atmosphere, instantly starts suffocating on their ship until they put their helmet back on. 

"Gameplay" at last!  :P

7:40  (supplemental) This planet is ridden with pollen.  That's bad enough.  But apparently it's pollen that tears through the cockpit, and is almost blizzard-like.  A day on this planet and peeps lungs would be like giant Q-tip ends.

I'm not going to continue with this...

If this was an alpha engine demonstration, worked on for 1-3 years starting in 2012, I'd probably be impressed.  Honestly.

But it's not.  It's a game.  A game many many people have already paid for.  6 years ago.

Gimme a break. Seriously? Pollen? Get a LIFE.