Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Officially The Greatest YEAR Ever For SC Crowdfunding

Comments

• MaxBaconMaxBacon Member LegendaryPosts: 7,766
    You're the second backer who has finally admitted they don't care how CIG gets the funds to make the game, the important thing is that you get the game you've been wanting so badly.

That's your prerogative, but be aware it's a poor stance for a consumer to take in general.  Incredibly poor.
    I'm not saying I don't care how, I'm saying how the things that have put in that debate are something I don't think it's any big deal hence why I don't care. It's that and complains about balance and ship stats changing at this phase like they expect it to be all set anywhere near final details years before a realistic release, it's such a big sigh.
  • rodarinrodarin Member EpicPosts: 2,611
    MaxBacon said:
    You're the second backer who has finally admitted they don't care how CIG gets the funds to make the game, the important thing is that you get the game you've been wanting so badly.

That's your prerogative, but be aware it's a poor stance for a consumer to take in general.  Incredibly poor.
    I'm not saying I don't care how, I'm saying how the things that have put in that debate are something I don't think it's any big deal hence why I don't care. It's that and complains about balance and ship stats changing at this phase like they expect it to be all set anywhere near final details years before a realistic release, it's such a big sigh.
    Not when it was 'supposed' to be released a couple years ago.

See people forget especially the fanboys. About the time table of all this and the reality.

Star Marine being 'secretly' cancelled then suddenly reappearing and now I guess 'released'. I dont know that whole thing was a circle jerk.

But SQ 42 how many release dates has that had? The voice actors could literally be dead of old age before that things comes out. Wasnt it also a couple years ago? And even the most cautious of fanboys claimed it would be getting released sometime now? Yet still crickets on that front.

And of course the open universe. Which is still what theyre (trying) to showcase. Finally adding some of the fundamental stuff every game has available on its first 'going live' moment. Still (despite what people want to say) doesnt have full persistence and what persistence there is is a proactive save by the player in some cases. Lirik highlighted that greatly for about 45K people during his stream the other night.

The 'best' part is its obvious Roberts and Co have reached out to a lot of 'mainstream' streamers over twitch con as these guys have been popping up and streaming this mess completely out of the blue. You have RP guys who focus on GTAV or ARK  and ARMA (back in the day) suddenly streaming this project?

I guess Roberts and Co feel like what they have now is worth letting more than the 500 or so people who generally watch the 5 guys they have been buying PCs for over the past 4-5 years see it. But it still showed its completely buggy and a mess. Yeah there might seem to be more 'stuff' to do. But its glitched and broken. Or highlights the griefing aspect. Lirik was 'mining' for an hour and he couldnt figure it out and while he was other guys were 'stealing' everything he mined anyway. But that whole system looked way too complex (for the sake of being complex) to have any sort of 'fun factor' in a game. But in grand CGI (Chris Roberts) fashion I am sure they will scrap the whole thing and start over from zero.

The best thing anyone can say right now is that its isnt a complete tech demo anymore it does actually have a few things (at the basest of levels) that have it looking like a game someone did in their garage alone or with a few friends over a long weekend not something 5+ years in with a team of hundreds (amounts vary of the years) and 200 million dollars.

But hey it actually didnt (as far as I could tell) take the massive steps back it usually does when they introduce a 'major' 'update' to the thing.
    Odeezee
  • BabuinixBabuinix Member EpicPosts: 4,265
    Actually it hit 48k+ viewers and people were quite impressed with it B)

Erillion
  • rodarinrodarin Member EpicPosts: 2,611
    Babuinix said:

LMAO go watch the VODs and read the chats. I would say the VAST majority of people watching this know exactlky what it is and lets just say all the guys streaming it that were trying to 'sell' it were called just that...sell outs.

Lirik is just a goof, or at least acts like one. He just does his thing, but he certainly highlighted more than a few of the issues plaguing this thing, and it got the expected responses from his viewers.

But 'impressed' is certainly not a word I would use to describe how these viewers were reacting. Unless you can spin it that 200 million for what they were watching was impressive then sure. Or how they could continue to rake in millions a month when thats all they had to show for it then O.K.
  • MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    edited December 2018
    MaxBacon said:

The potential changes to ships is exactly why being able to melt them down and put funds toward another ship that serves the purpose you want better was a backer-friendly stance.  CIG's change actually hurt gamers in the sense that ships may still change significantly into something less effective for what they wanted it for.  That was in the video, by the way.

• KefoKefo Member EpicPosts: 4,229
    Babuinix said:

When you ignore all talking points and instead focus on how actually there was 48k+ viewers and they were impressed with the stream then you know you already lost the argument. 
    What argument? And how did I "lose" it?

Go watch the streams, people were really impressed with what they saw and so were the streamers.

Laughing at bugs, glitches and calling it a scam is what every troll does, doesn't make it relevant though lol

It's a game in heavy development with a lot things to add but it's already fun and provides amazing moments that you can't experience in any other game, namely the scale, detail and fidelity in a multiplayer environment.

For a niche space game in heavy alpha with bugs and glitches galore, require a high end computer (16gig SSD minimum) getting thousands of viewers week in week out in twitch is quite an accomplishment.

And If you compare it with other released and established space games then it's even more impressive.

X4 just came out and has half thousand, EVE a little more than hundred and NMS and Elite don't even go past the hundred viewers.

So Yeah I'd say Star Citizen is doing alright B)
    The potential changes to ships is exactly why being able to melt them down and put funds toward another ship that serves the purpose you want better was a backer-friendly stance.  CIG's change actually hurt gamers in the sense that ships may still change significantly into something less effective for what they wanted it for.  That was in the video, by the way.
    That was the purpose of melting yes, but it has turned a lot into melting previous money to buy new pledges when the purpose of them is fund the project, hence I'm not surprised things as this end up changing, stuff as this happened before when people had account perks they started abusing to profit money themselves by selling upgrades to others via their accounts.

But either way, melting does stand and serves its purpose for when people want such changes, as obvious complaints come disguised as "oh this harms those poor backers" when it really who is being limited is those who use the anniversary sale as the "Annual Hangar Melt Festival".
    Babuinix said:

Go watch the streams, people were really impressed with what they saw and so were the streamers.

Laughing at bugs, glitches and calling it a scam is what every troll does, doesn't make it relevant though lol

It's a game in heavy development with a lot things to add but it's already fun and provides amazing moments that you can't experience in any other game, namely the scale, detail and fidelity in a multiplayer environment.

For a niche space game in heavy alpha with bugs and glitches galore, require a high end computer (16gig SSD minimum) getting thousands of viewers week in week out in twitch is quite an accomplishment.

And If you compare it with other released and established space games then it's even more impressive.

X4 just came out and has half thousand, EVE a little more than hundred and NMS and Elite don't even go past the hundred viewers.

Well let’s see Rodarin had talking points about star marine being cancelled and brought back (cancelled indefinitely I believe is what was used), the multiple release dates for SQ42, the lack of real persistence when that should have been in from the start and a few other points.

You decided to ignore all that and focus on how he was wrong about there being 45k streamers and say there was actually 48k+ streamers which tells me you can’t address those without sounding silly or like more of a rabid white knight so you chose to go after the one thing you could.

Yeah he pointed out the bugs at the end of his post but you’re dismissing everything because “he’s a troll” but we all know that’s the fans response to anything they can’t defend without sounding ridiculous or pulling out the “but it’s alpha!!!1!!” Argument
    MaxBacon said:
    That was the purpose of melting yes, but it has turned a lot into melting previous money to buy new pledges when the purpose of them is fund the project, hence I'm not surprised things as this end up changing, stuff as this happened before when people had account perks they started abusing to profit money themselves by selling upgrades to others via their accounts.

But either way, melting does stand and serves its purpose for when people want such changes, as obvious complaints come disguised as "oh this harms those poor backers" when it really who is being limited is those who use the anniversary sale as the "Annual Hangar Melt Festival".
    Fair enough.  It's an objective move to a less backer-friendly system, but if you feel it was justified, then that's your prerogative and I won't argue with it as that's mostly a matter of opinion.

edited December 2018
    Kefo said:
    Babuinix said:

Well let’s see Rodarin had talking points about star marine being cancelled and brought back (cancelled indefinitely I believe is what was used), the multiple release dates for SQ42, the lack of real persistence when that should have been in from the start and a few other points.

You decided to ignore all that and focus on how he was wrong about there being 45k streamers and say there was actually 48k+ streamers which tells me you can’t address those without sounding silly or like more of a rabid white knight so you chose to go after the one thing you could.

Yeah he pointed out the bugs at the end of his post but you’re dismissing everything because “he’s a troll” but we all know that’s the fans response to anything they can’t defend without sounding ridiculous or pulling out the “but it’s alpha!!!1!!” Argument
    Well anyone paying attention for the last years already knows that Rodarin bases his opinions from what he reads in blogs and not from reality lol, that's why all of his "talking points" have been proven wrong again and again and he just moves on to another alternate reality that suit's it's narrative.

Just from top of my mind some things he said that were proven wrong:

- Financial troubles
    - Star Marine being "cancelled".
    - Planetary Landings being a hoax
    - Carrying Vehicles inside ships being impossible
    - "Insert "Next negative thing" [here]

So why should I or anyone care in which hill does Rodarin decides do die on next lol?

He brought the twitch streams not me, go watch them, sure there's the usual goon trolls calling it scam but much more people impressed and liking what they saw  B)

I guess that rubs the haters in the wrong way because "their game" doesn't manage to get much  exposure so being envious of Star Citizen is how they cope with it lol

• HashbrickHashbrick Member RarePosts: 1,851
    I went into the free fly weekend. 

Cons:
    Physics terrible

Player Animations terrible

Ship Movement terrible

Multiplayer Matchmaking beyond terrible

FPS mechanics terrible

Ship Controls & Layouts terrible and complex

Community Zombies and Yes Men that can't understand what a flaw is.

Nothing to do on space stations.

After landing on a planet, zero to do.

Pros
    Jetpack on top of someone's ship to get blasted off when they get scared.

Suffocation

Flying into a planet and landing on it in one fluid motion.  That was amazing.

The void of actual space

I would have expected the basics to be polished by now but they are not and then you see shit like "Oh we are working on making your webcam work with your avatar."  You can tell their priorities are expanded technology and not actually making a game fun or enjoyable.  So they have Squadron 42 to try and add those things but not in the base game.  They are creating an experimental software and nothing else.

It is what it is, I was only impressed on some of the technical marvel as a game I still see it going no where.
    [[ DEAD ]] - Funny - I deleted my account on the site using the cancel account button.  Forum user is separate and still exists with no way of deleting it. Delete it admins. Do it, this ends now.
    edited December 2018
    Terrible is a great feedback, I'm sure the Dev's will look into it B)
    Nothing to do on planets/spacestations? I guess you didn't even try doing missions right.
    Seems you putted more effort in this "review" than you did playing the game lol :D

Has for "basics to be polished by now" is your first mistake, it's an alpha in development with a few more years to go, real polish is really only completed in the final stages of development when all the game systems are in place, if you focus on polishing too much earlier you end up wasting time because as you add new game systems the old ones are prone to break and you have to do the polishing all over again. 

FOIP tech is not developed by CIG but Faceware, it's not detrimental to any of the main development complementary feature not mandatory.
    Post edited by Babuinix on
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    edited December 2018
    gervaise1 said:
    gervaise1 said:
    <snip> This is just crowd funding and not including loans and other investors to my understanding.  <snip>
    Its all "crowdfunded".

There are no "loans"; there was - still is? - an arrangement were a bank (Coutts) loaned the UK office money at the <<start>> of a quarter that was "repaid" at the <<end>> of a quarter by a UK government game development grant. Why? Possibly cashflow but more likely a cheaper means of managing exchange rate fluctuations - most (probably all) companies that operate in multiple countries use "forex" to try and manage curremcy movements, which comes at a cost.

There are no investors. No shareholders expecting dividends. Probably some larger backers early on but no investors.
    I'm pretty sure they have something going with third party companies like Intel and that company they partnered with to do the FOIP and perhaps a few more.
    Intel did a marketing promotion with RSI. Which was mutual advertising - since Intel got their name out there for the price of - a couple of M.2 NVMe's was it? Something like that. Don't think that counts as funding! 

The FOIP been used is that developed by Faceware Technologies - not as I said in a thread several weeks back by RSI - don't make that mistake. Faceware Technologies FOIP has been used in e.g. Starwars Battlefront II for example - no suggestion that EA is funding SC though! Its no more a part of SC than a keyboard or a mouse is. Its a standalone product.

Essentially all RSI are doing is enabling the interface. Unlike keyboards and mice etc. FOIP is still somewhat new so they are probably getting help from Faceware Technologies. If they are though they won't be providing the help to "fund" SC they will be doing it as part of a drive to promote their products, get their FOIP product into games etc. And the why is obvious: so that people / companies will buy Faceware Technologies hardware and software.

As to profits from addition investments, only someone who has access to their financials and tax records could say so for sure.  Or possibly someone who's seen the contracts they have with other companies.  You may be correct but I would find it hard to believe a large company like CIG wouldn't leverage their funding in additional ways. But I don't have access to their books either so...

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

Babuinix said:

Nothing to do on planets/spacestations? I guess you didn't even try doing missions right.

Seems you putted more effort in this "review" than you did playing the game lol :D
    I wouldn't expect anything different coming out of your mouth.  You've been part of the yes men about as long as this dream existed.

Terrible is great feedback, cause it describes distressingly bad or serious issues.  How else do you describe a function that doesn't work.

Star Trek Nerd Voice: "Well you see the quantum 2xR reversal of the airship speed doesn't match the MD5 hash of the sequence of the parallel universe doesn't coincide with the flip to repeat ration of the certified helix"

Get rekted.

Can you prove it's not terrible, can you show me any the things I listed as terrible to actually work correctly?  Spin your ship, sorry but ships don't spin like that in space.... 
    [[ DEAD ]] - Funny - I deleted my account on the site using the cancel account button.  Forum user is separate and still exists with no way of deleting it. Delete it admins. Do it, this ends now.
  • VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888
    Babuinix said:
    I didn't think the OP meant this as a feedback topic for Star Citizen's devs.

Of course you'd know better.
    MadFrenchie

• gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    gervaise1 said:
    gervaise1 said:
    <snip> This is just crowd funding and not including loans and other investors to my understanding.  <snip>
    Its all "crowdfunded".

There are no "loans"; there was - still is? - an arrangement were a bank (Coutts) loaned the UK office money at the <<start>> of a quarter that was "repaid" at the <<end>> of a quarter by a UK government game development grant. Why? Possibly cashflow but more likely a cheaper means of managing exchange rate fluctuations - most (probably all) companies that operate in multiple countries use "forex" to try and manage curremcy movements, which comes at a cost.

There are no investors. No shareholders expecting dividends. Probably some larger backers early on but no investors.
    I'm pretty sure they have something going with third party companies like Intel and that company they partnered with to do the FOIP and perhaps a few more.
    Intel did a marketing promotion with RSI. Which was mutual advertising - since Intel got their name out there for the price of - a couple of M.2 NVMe's was it? Something like that. Don't think that counts as funding! 

The FOIP been used is that developed by Faceware Technologies - not as I said in a thread several weeks back by RSI - don't make that mistake. Faceware Technologies FOIP has been used in e.g. Starwars Battlefront II for example - no suggestion that EA is funding SC though! Its no more a part of SC than a keyboard or a mouse is. Its a standalone product.

Essentially all RSI are doing is enabling the interface. Unlike keyboards and mice etc. FOIP is still somewhat new so they are probably getting help from Faceware Technologies. If they are though they won't be providing the help to "fund" SC they will be doing it as part of a drive to promote their products, get their FOIP product into games etc. And the why is obvious: so that people / companies will buy Faceware Technologies hardware and software.

As to profits from addition investments, only someone who has access to their financials and tax records could say so for sure.  Or possibly someone who's seen the contracts they have with other companies.  You may be correct but I would find it hard to believe a large company like CIG wouldn't leverage their funding in additional ways. But I don't have access to their books either so...
    Not 100% sure what your direction of thought is. The discussion was: SC is 100% crowdfunded or not - as has been said. Which led to a suggestion - ? - about technology partnerships. 

Technology partnerships are not investments. AMD did not, for example, invest in EA when it worked with them to develop Mantle. Such partnerships are made because they convey mutual benefit to both companies (sometimes more than two companies). 

Faceware Technologies (FT) and EA, Faceware Technologies and RSI and so on.

Someone will pay the costs - maybe they pay their own - but these are no more investments than paying the staff.
    edited December 2018
    Hashbrick said:
    Terrible is great feedback, cause it describes distressingly bad or serious issues.  How else do you describe a function that doesn't work.

Get rekted.

Can you prove it's not terrible, can you show me any the things I listed as terrible to actually work correctly?  Spin your ship, sorry but ships don't spin like that in space.... 
    The community feedback tends to be far more constructive than that, otherwise it just comes as broad whining and doesn't give developers any feedback as to what are people angry about direction as to what people dislike and want changed/fixed/improved.

One example of just terrible feedback:
    - "Physics terrible", what physics? This game as a HUGE amount of physics and different categories of such, they go from movement to the ship physic grids interiors that sustain its own physics settings inside the grid and do the transition between other grids (such as space or another planet), they have planet physics, planets rotate they are its own grid that as its own physics settings especially gravity such simulates on the ships with atmospheric flight (tho very noticeable because they automatically compensate while you fly) and more noticeable when walking, jumping or driving around the surface... And there are the physics that simulate the flight model of course. There are also other physics systems such as the object/vehicle collisions (and one of the weakest point of physics driving a lot of bugs that is being refactored btw).

That should kinda get the point across as to how useless it is too broadly doing statements on a game as complex on physics/simulation as this one is.

Actually, to realize just how many physics systems the game has, this panel sheds light:

Wanna wind? Wanna weather systems? Wanna clothing and hair realistically animating? I find the pushes they have on physics and this technical talks and showcases great actually xD

That'd be why broadly saying physics is terrible is terrible feedback.
    It's a fallacy to discredit feedback that merely points out the parts of the game one doesn't enjoy.

It's not binary.  Some feedback is more valuable than others, but any feedback that's honest is valuable so long as the company has its head on straight and understands how to assess feedback.

edited December 2018
    It's a fallacy to discredit feedback that merely points out the parts of the game one doesn't enjoy.

It's not binary.  Some feedback is more valuable than others, but any feedback that's honest is valuable so long as the company has its head on straight and understands how to assess feedback.
    But what is the feedback even? Because physics is no one thing, it's a ton of things, game relies on many physics systems for completely different things. When you're inside your ship and go EVA into space you experience one core physics system, when you fly your ship it's another when you move your character it's another (that relies on multiple bits of tech), when you're in a planet there's yet another system playing out.

If I was a game dev I'd be ignoring that feedback "physics are terrible", now if someone told me "flight model physics are terrible" then sure I'd have some direction at what are the players disliking. xD 
    edited December 2018
    MaxBacon said:

But what is the feedback even? Because physics is no one thing, it's a ton of things, game relies on many physics systems for completely different things. When you're inside your ship and go EVA into space you experience one core physics system, when you fly your ship it's another when you move it's another, when you're in a planet there's yet another system playing out.

If I was a game dev I'd be ignoring that feedback "physics are terrible", now if someone told me "flight model physics are terrible" then sure I'd have some direction at what are the players disliking. xD 
    It doesn't matter that a tester doesn't have the technical expertise to point you to the line in the code where the issue lies.

Testers aren't required to be technically competent, not when you sell the access to work-in-progress builds like this.  They aren't even really testers, but merely normal consumers.

edited December 2018
    It doesn't matter that a tester doesn't have the technical expertise to point you to the line in the code where the issue lies.

Testers aren't required to be technically competent, not when you sell the access to work-in-progress builds like this.  They aren't even really testers, but merely normal consumers.
    Then they shouldn't be using technical terminology... If they say something "I dislike how the ship handling and movement plays out while flying", for a dev he already knows the complaint is aimed at physics.

See on the most common issue with physics on this and most games, the collisions where you clip through things, people to say "I clipped through the ground" as general feedback, the devs will know the feedback is about collisions with their physics.
    MaxBacon said:
    Hashbrick said:

Get rekted.

The community feedback tends to be far more constructive than that, otherwise it just comes as broad whining and doesn't give developers any feedback as to what are people angry about direction as to what people dislike and want changed/fixed/improved.

One example of just terrible feedback:
    - "Physics terrible", what physics? This game as a HUGE amount of physics and different categories of such, they go from movement to the ship physic grids interiors that sustain its own physics settings inside the grid and do the transition between other grids (such as space or another planet), they have planet physics, planets rotate they are its own grid that as its own physics settings especially gravity such simulates on the ships with atmospheric flight (tho very noticeable because they automatically compensate while you fly) and more noticeable when walking, jumping or driving around the surface... And there are the physics that simulate the flight model of course. There are also other physics systems such as the object/vehicle collisions (and one of the weakest point of physics driving a lot of bugs that is being refactored btw).

That should kinda get the point across as to how useless it is too broadly doing statements on a game as complex on physics/simulation as this one is.

Actually, to realize just how many physics systems the game has, this panel sheds light:

Wanna wind? Wanna weather systems? Wanna clothing and hair realistically animating? I find the pushes they have on physics and this technical talks and showcases great actually xD

That'd be why broadly saying physics is terrible is terrible feedback.
    I think you have mmorpg.com confused as a dev feedback forum rather than an opinion forum.

I'm not going to go into detail on every possible physics engine when I'm making a pro/con list  

My point is, as a base, physics is still not ideal and at this point it should have been buffed out.  Specificly space physics, avatar physics. Running around just seems wrong and not smooth.  The FPS engine physics are very inaccurate.

Now you can say in your opinion me saying a blanket statement is terrible feedback and you'd be right, except this isn't feedback.
    Babuinix said:
    Kefo said:
    Babuinix said:

Well anyone paying attention for the last years already knows that Rodarin bases his opinions from what he reads in blogs and not from reality lol, that's why all of his "talking points" have been proven wrong again and again and he just moves on to another alternate reality that suit's it's narrative.

Just from top of my mind some things he said that were proven wrong:

- Financial troubles
    - Star Marine being "cancelled".
    - Planetary Landings being a hoax
    - Carrying Vehicles inside ships being impossible
    - "Insert "Next negative thing" [here]

So why should I or anyone care in which hill does Rodarin decides do die on next lol?

He brought the twitch streams not me, go watch them, sure there's the usual goon trolls calling it scam but much more people impressed and liking what they saw  B)

I guess that rubs the haters in the wrong way because "their game" doesn't manage to get much  exposure so being envious of Star Citizen is how they cope with it lol

Ah so once a hater always a hater then eh? 

Well I’ll those things that were proven wrong were proven wrong much later in most cases so when he was saying planetary landings were a hoax it was probably because they weren’t in game and it took CIG a very long time to implement them. Star marine was delayed indefinitely which to many means cancelled after dealing with big publishers. Carrying vehicles inside other vehicles how long before they got that in game after showing it off and making some big promise how it’s right around the corner and then releasing it in such a big riddled state that they may as well have held it back longer to fix it?

He may yell loudly about the issues but at the time he isn’t wrong, just going off the facts presented to us and CIG past history of stringing along backers for money and Roberts history of a poorly managed studio.

The kicker in all this though? Rodarin actually gave a little bit of kudos to CIG in a roundabout way. So he can admit when things are moving along while you cant move past someone’s post history. At this point I’d trust Rodarin opinion over yours because he shows that tiny bit of growth in giving the company a backhand compliment while you continue to screech about anyone who’s viewpoint doesn’t line up with yours is a hater and a troll.
    edited December 2018
    Hashbrick said:
    I think you have mmorpg.com confused as a dev feedback forum rather than an opinion forum.

I'm not going to go into detail on every possible physics engine when I'm making a pro/con list  

My point is, as a base, physics is still not ideal and at this point it should have been buffed out.  Specificly space physics, avatar physics. Running around just seems wrong and not smooth.  The FPS engine physics are very inaccurate.

Now you can say in your opinion me saying a blanket statement is terrible feedback and you'd be right, except this isn't feedback.
    Okay fine it isn't feedback, I just get ticked off when people broadly attack physics on a game where its best technology bits involve advanced physics work, you might not see it such as you don't the physic grids on ships or moons/planets but they are rather cool backbones to the game's simulation.