Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Looking for suggestions on MMORPGs that attracts an older crowd to some degree.

DevinsamDevinsam Member UncommonPosts: 20
Hi there,

Been googling and looking for a social MMORPG that may attract to some degree an older crowd too (30-40+, death & beyond).

Lord of the Rings Online - Interesting!
The Secret World / Secret World Legends - Interesting!
Everquest 1 / Project 1999 - Not sure / seems hardcore.
Everquest 2 - Interesting! Is it alive?
World of Warcraft - Hmm, unsure.

This is what I found so far but I'll definitely looking for suggestions, tips, hints! Thanks!

I consider myself a novice when it comes to MMORPGs.
d_20

Comments

• DevinsamDevinsam Member UncommonPosts: 20
    *I'll = I'm
    edited December 2018
    Gorwe said:
    Honestly, EQs were my first choice. Regardless, that list is more than ok for what you're looking for. EQs, WoW and LoTR:O.
    Hi! When you say EQ I assume you mean EQ1. My worry with EQ1 is that it seems very hardcore after you catch up.
  • TEKK3NTEKK3N Member RarePosts: 1,115
    Devinsam said:
    Gorwe said:
    Honestly, EQs were my first choice. Regardless, that list is more than ok for what you're looking for. EQs, WoW and LoTR:O.
    Hi! When you say EQ I assume you mean EQ1. My worry with EQ1 is that it seems very hardcore after you catch up.
    Vanilla WoW.
  • ElsaboltsElsabolts Member RarePosts: 3,476
    Subscriptions, they seem to skim the scum some.
    " Life Liberty and the Pursuit of Those Who  Would Threaten It "
                                            MAGA
  • amaokoenamaokoen Member UncommonPosts: 10
    I would also check out Elder Scrolls Online.
    DevinsamOctagon7711d_20
  • Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749
    The good and friendly community of LotRO mainly originates from its fairly mature playerbase.
    It might seem obvious, game is 11 years old, even those who started it as kids are now in their mid-20s... but beyond that, I'd bet on the large majority of the players are over 30, and would put a second bet on that LotRO has the largest share of 60+ players in its playerbase.
    Of course it is nowhere near scientific or based on real data, just a hunch based on my experiences over the years, by talking players and kinships on several servers.

EQ is a fitting candidate too, but the game itself is less "forgiving" (or more hardcore as you said) than LotRO.
    I'd also add Eve to the list, not exactly a kiddie game either and has a lot of players in the middle regions of the age pyramid. However, for seekers of a social experience it might be too hostile :smile:
    Devinsam
    Gorwe said:
    Devinsam said:
    Gorwe said:
    I meant both of them. Should've probably written "EQ franchise". EQ 2 is much less hardcore, especially on normal servers. Though if you do want more Hardcore(still less so than EQ1 imo), go for Progression servers. They're both very nice games.

There is still this tiny detail of unclear(at best) connections of Daybreak(investment company that owns SOE nowadays) and Russian Oligarchy. That could rub people the wrong way. :) 

(anyhow, read this: https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2018/04/after-sanctions-daybreak-games-changes-its-tune-on-its-russian-affiliation/ and come to your own conclusions)
    It's very trendy to have your own Russian Oligarch these days in all facets of life.
    GorweMadFrenchie[Deleted User]Alverant[Deleted User]
    Thanks for all the replies & suggestions!
  • ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    LOTRO probably the best option of that list , FF14 has a pretty mature and dedicated crowd also
    DevinsamJeffSpicoli[Deleted User]Gorwe
  • flizzerflizzer Member RarePosts: 2,454
    I would suggest LOTRO also.  Of course the game is older at this point but there is such a helpful community.   Ive been playing since the beginning and whenever I come back after an absence the community is more than helpful showing me what I missed. 
    Devinsam
  • NevereverlandNevereverland Member UncommonPosts: 161
    WoW Vanilla Private server. I've been playing in Light's Hope which has 6-10k online. Only MMORPG i can bare to play atm is this. Others are too boring for me atm (not challenging at all).
  • DarminisDarminis Member CommonPosts: 9
    Project Gorgon is a great one with a fantastic community. They just dropped a demo for new folks to try it out before they buy it, I'd recommend checking it out.
    DevinsamOctagon7711JeffSpicoli
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,373
    Unfortunately I suspect many "older" gamers have walked away from MMORPGS as I have.

Many are playing single player games, knitting, throwing horseshoes etc. while waiting for some old school indie MMORPG to launch like Pantheon, Camelot Unchained, Ashes or a few others.

Of course for some of us it's a question of whether this will ever happen before we either get too old to play or.....  :#
    DevinsamConstantineMerusJeffSpicolicraftseekerCazriel

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• ExistentialistExistentialist Member UncommonPosts: 58
    edited December 2018
    Legends of Aria 

This may help you decide.
    http://thesandbox.mmosmacktalk.com/sandbox-mmo-podcast/2018/12/04/the-sandbox-podcast-episode-147-legends-of-aria-steam-delay/

To go directly to discussion of the game you can go to the 8:00 mark.

Devinsam
    Thanks for all the suggestions!
  • ConstantineMerusConstantineMerus Member EpicPosts: 3,338
    Kyleran said:
    Unfortunately I suspect many "older" gamers have walked away from MMORPGS as I have.

Many are playing single player games, knitting, throwing horseshoes etc. while waiting for some old school indie MMORPG to launch like Pantheon, Camelot Unchained, Ashes or a few others.

Of course for some of us it's a question of whether this will ever happen before we either get too old to play or.....  :#
    I am not entirely sure if that's because of the MMOs or the people who play them. 
    Constantine, The Console Poster

• "One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out of touch with their instinctive selves." - Carl Jung
  • MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    Kyleran said:

I am not entirely sure if that's because of the MMOs or the people who play them. 
    Little bit of both?

MMORPGs are in the unenviable position of requiring large numbers to make the actual massively multiplayer parts (not just raids, but things like a vibrant economy) work.  One wrong move in combat can relegate incredibly innovative ideas for things like crafting to a trash heap through no fault of the innovation's own, because the combat stunts the player population, which in turn stunts the economy, which in turn blunts the usefulness of a gamer spending time engaging with the crafting system.
    KyleranPanther2103DevinsamConstantineMerus

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,373
    Kyleran said:

Little bit of both?

MMORPGs are in the unenviable position of requiring large numbers to make the actual massively multiplayer parts (not just raids, but things like a vibrant economy) work.  One wrong move in combat can relegate incredibly innovative ideas for things like crafting to a trash heap through no fault of the innovation's own, because the combat stunts the player population, which in turn stunts the economy, which in turn blunts the usefulness of a gamer spending time engaging with the crafting system.
    Very true, often I think when devs got all of the pieces mostly right and working well together it was more of a happy accident rather than by deliberate design.

MadFrenchieDevinsamConstantineMerusHatefull

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• SkellybonesSkellybones Member UncommonPosts: 85
    Legends of aria ? need a guild msg me
    MadFrenchieDevinsam[Deleted User]
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    WoW has an older crowd but they have been going through so many changes in gameplay lately it's not like the way it use to be.  ESO, GW2, Project Gorgon, have very helpful crowds and have guilds that are looking for an older class of player.  LotRO is good also.  
    Devinsam

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    Many older players like myself are between games at the moment and instead come here to long for better days and complain. If you are unpracticed at this I can teach you.
    MadFrenchieDevinsamKyleranHatefull

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

Thanks again for all the replies, read them all. I have started downloading the first MMORPG (LotRO) to try out. Also bought one on sale (ESO).
    MadFrenchied_20
  • AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    Also there is a way to backdoor this question. Go to the website for a guild called The Old Timers Guild (or one like them), see what games they are playing, go play one of those games, and then maybe apply to their guild so as to hang out with like minded folks. 
    DevinsamKyleranHatefull

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,892
    Kyleran said:

I promise to bring flowers every year to your final place of rest...

MadFrenchieDevinsamKyleran[Deleted User]ConstantineMerus
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,737
    I think Kyleran is probably right that you may want to look ahead and find a game coming that will have a mature playerbase (and a larger playerbase) rather than going back to games that are a dozen or more years old.