Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Elite Dangerous: Beyond - Chapter Four Coming December 11th - MMORPG.com

SystemSystem Member UncommonPosts: 12,599
edited December 2018 in Videos Discussion

imageElite Dangerous: Beyond - Chapter Four Coming December 11th - MMORPG.com

Elite Dangerous: Beyond - Chapter 4 has officially left its beta phase behind and is ready to roll starting December 11th. The announcement from Frontier Developments came along with a brand new trailer to show off some of the big features that will be part of the content update.

Read the full story here

Comments

• ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534

OG_Zorvan said:

Only 40 more chapters until it's a full game!

if you don't understand elite, you shouldn't have bought it.
    MaurgrimTacticalZombeh

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

• JeffSpicoliJeffSpicoli Member EpicPosts: 2,849
    I really enjoy this game but i doubt i play it the way its "suppose" to be played. I mainly play it as a space trucking sim. Think American Truck simulator set in space. My own Meta game is making delivery's from planet to planet or port to port and saving enough money to buy bigger and better haulers. I don't have a absurd amount of hours in this game llike others but ED usually works its way back into my rotation every 6 months or so.

I find something fun about seeing all the space stations and flying into them, Its a very immersive game with nice graphics, Very relaxing gameplay. 
    Octagon7711SovrathghettocelebTacticalZombeh
    • Aloha Mr Hand ! 

• ShaihubyShaihuby Member UncommonPosts: 13
    The game will be finally complete for me when they will add EVA / Space Legs, tired to be stucked on my chair
    3dom
  • Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,768
    I own this, and the pass or whatever, but I still just can't get into it. I love the idea of the game, but damn the controls and lack of direction are super daunting.
  • LeFantomeLeFantome Member RarePosts: 692
    Give me a story, a real purpose and I'll play the game.

I own this, and the pass or whatever, but I still just can't get into it. I love the idea of the game, but damn the controls and lack of direction are super daunting.
    The controls are part of the fun for me, Landing is ridiculously hard your first 5 hours or so, Now i fly into my designated loading bay  like a soccer mom at the mall on Christmas Eve.
    Panther2103TacticalZombeh
    • Aloha Mr Hand ! 

• DijonCyanideDijonCyanide Member UncommonPosts: 586
    It is a gorgeous game/sim.  For me though that was part of the problem, it felt more sim than game so after the initial introduction I began playing it less & less unless I had plenty of time to devote to it.  I've read where there have been changes since I last played it so I need to try it again & ED is a game that deserves a 2nd or even 3rd chance.  Lots of possibilities in this game, & lots of choices for a player.  It doesn't hold your hand much which makes you decide & some players don't like that.
  • MaurgrimMaurgrim Member RarePosts: 1,325

OG_Zorvan said:

Thane said:

OG_Zorvan said:

Elite was great, and groundbreaking for its time.

Elite:Dangerous, on the other hand, is a miles wide, inch deep pile of mediocrity in todays time

No need to bash a game you don't understand or comprehend.
    sgel
  • alkarionlogalkarionlog Member EpicPosts: 3,584
    OG_Zorvan said:
    still more complete then some others around :p
    FOR HONOR, FOR FREEDOM.... and for some money.
  • MaurgrimMaurgrim Member RarePosts: 1,325
    OG_Zorvan said:

Maurgrim said:

OG_Zorvan said:

Thane said:

OG_Zorvan said:

Elite was great, and groundbreaking for its time.

Elite:Dangerous, on the other hand, is a miles wide, inch deep pile of mediocrity in todays time

No need to bash a game you don't understand or comprehend.

Yes, because Elite: Dangerous requires a degree in rocket science and certification from NASA to understand.

Where do they find you people?
    If you are from instant gratification generation then yes you need that.
  • perrin82perrin82 Member UncommonPosts: 285
    For those that really enjoy it what are the highlights for you?
  • VhayneVhayne Member UncommonPosts: 632
    I played it for a bit a couple of years ago.  I used a flightstick setup and VR exclusively, and it was super immersive and fun for a while.  But like someone else said, I felt like it was like a truck simulator.  Haul this, haul that, upgrade your ship to haul more, etc.  The most fun I had with the game was landing, but even that got to be standard.  I know there was combat and stuff, and I did a little.  But I just lost interest. :(

• rpmcmurphyrpmcmurphy Member EpicPosts: 3,502
    ObsidianAnt did a short rundown of what's coming in the update, he kind of skipped over Squadrons (guilds/orgs) though

sgel
  • sgelsgel Member EpicPosts: 2,197
    If after all this time and all the adding, patching and refining they've done to the game you still find the game a mile wide and an inch deep, then probably the game wasn't for you to begin with.

I still occasionally play it and will surely play more with Chapter four since a lot of the changes are very appealing to me.
    It still has the best flying and best sound engineering of any other similar game out there.
    Maurgrim

..Cake..

• evolgrinzevolgrinz Member UncommonPosts: 151

LeFantome said:

You make your own story and own purpose. That's the whole idea of a sandbox game.

I get it why there is so much hate for this game. It's not very beginner friendly, with little guidance to help you start out. But once you get into the game, maybe watch some beginner tip videos on youtube etc. you will discover a very nice game with a lot of stuff to do. You just have to put more time than 1-2 hours into the game to see that.

If Elite:Dangerous is too much for you, then maybe No Man's Sky is for you, or the recently released X4: Foundations, which are both a bit less "hardcore" and easier to play.
    MaurgrimCotic

Sharne said:

evolgrinz said:

LeFantome said:

You make your own story and own purpose. That's the whole idea of a sandbox game.

I get it why there is so much hate for this game. It's not very beginner friendly, with little guidance to help you start out. But once you get into the game, maybe watch some beginner tip videos on youtube etc. you will discover a very nice game with a lot of stuff to do. You just have to put more time than 1-2 hours into the game to see that.

If Elite:Dangerous is too much for you, then maybe No Man's Sky is for you, or the recently released X4: Foundations, which are both a bit less "hardcore" and easier to play.

Good game with loads to do if you put the effort in to find it? Yes

Sandbox ? No (the BGS cant be considered sand as most of the changes made that affect it and its outcomes and managed by FD)

I have to correct you there. The BGS is not controlled by FD. As a player you can influence the BGS a lot. If you do missions of another faction than the controlling faction and raise it's influence you can unchain a war. Fighting a war on the other side than the controlling faction will make the faction you are fighting for the new controlling faction if they win the conflict.
    You can also trade and if you trade enough with a station, you can put it into a boom state.
    You can also keep working for a faction and make that faction expand to another system.
    You can help stations that are in outbreak, to help them get out of it.

And with the new patch, stations can be attacked by Thargoids and you will have to help the station to fight them or the stations will be damaged and most services can't be used anymore until you aided the station in repairs.

and all that is just a small part of the BGS.
    MaurgrimCotic
  • CoticCotic Member UncommonPosts: 268

sgel said:

I still occasionally play it and will surely play more with Chapter four since a lot of the changes are very appealing to me.
    It still has the best flying and best sound engineering of any other similar game out there.

I have been playing this a bit less over the summer, mostly due to switching to Linux where Elite did not work in WINE but has been remedied and now I'm waiting on this patch to really get back into it over the winter months, there appears to be many great additions and changes coming to the game.
    OG_Zorvan said:
    Hey, have they patched in any way to customize your ships without having to pay cash to slap a name or paintjob on it?
    This part of the game has always pissed me off
    • Aloha Mr Hand ! 

• Asm0deusAsm0deus Member EpicPosts: 4,407
    edited December 2018

evolgrinz said:

Sharne said:

evolgrinz said:

LeFantome said:

Sandbox ? No (the BGS cant be considered sand as most of the changes made that affect it and its outcomes and managed by FD)

I have to correct you there. The BGS is not controlled by FD. As a player you can influence the BGS a lot. If you do missions of another faction than the controlling faction and raise it's influence you can unchain a war. Fighting a war on the other side than the controlling faction will make the faction you are fighting for the new controlling faction if they win the conflict.

You can also trade and if you trade enough with a station, you can put it into a boom state.

You can also keep working for a faction and make that faction expand to another system.

And with the new patch, stations can be attacked by Thargoids and you will have to help the station to fight them or the stations will be damaged and most services can't be used anymore until you aided the station in repairs.

All true but it very very difficult to do significant changes and forget about doing it alone. Any big changes are controlled by FD to the point they have to actually step in and manually do changes at times.

I'm a backer and don't regret it, I love playing the game albeit in small doses but no one can argue they haven't made stupid decision after stupid decision add to this that they are nerf happy and love to make thing extremely tedious.

Chances are if you find something fun, profitable and outside the "usual box" FD will nerf it into boring blandness due to whiners in the official forums crying about it.
    Gdemami

Brenics ~ Just to point out I do believe Chris Roberts is going down as the man who cheated backers and took down crowdfunding for gaming.

Asm0deus said:

evolgrinz said:

Sharne said:

evolgrinz said:

LeFantome said:

All true but it very very difficult to do significant changes and forget about doing it alone. Any big changes are controlled by FD to the point they have to actually step in and manually do changes at times.

I'm a backer and don't regret it, I love playing the game albeit in small doses but no one can argue they haven't made stupid decision after stupid decision add to this that they are nerf happy and love to make thing extremely tedious.

Chances are if you find something fun, profitable and outside the "usual box" FD will nerf it into boring blandness due to whiners in the official forums crying about it.

This game is a marathon, not a sprint.
    If you want instant gratification, then I agree. Elite is tedious and boring.
    I personally enjoy the slow pace. Feels so good when you can finally buy and fit that big ship you had your eyes on.
    And for the BGS, you can do them solo (I have), but it's easier and faster to do it in a group.