Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Saga of Lucimia Release #11 - A Peek Behind The Curtain - MMORPG.com

SystemSystem Member UncommonPosts: 12,599
edited December 2018 in Videos Discussion

imageSaga of Lucimia Release #11 - A Peek Behind The Curtain - MMORPG.com

The Saga of Lucimia team has sent out a new trailer to provide a "peek behind the curtain" for Update 11 coming this weekend. "Tonight John and I hopped in with some of our Dev Tavern folks and other developers to showcase a little bit of how the flow of the game feels these days compared to previous builds."

Read the full story here

Renfail

Comments

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,001
    Why are deer fighting a man? I mean, Deer don't go after people as far as I know and I can't imagine they would stay and fight. I saw something similar on another game where it was a deer fighting a warrior. I just happened to come to that point in the video so maybe they are beguiled or some such thing?
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,952
    Sovrath said:
    Why are deer fighting a man? I mean, Deer don't go after people as far as I know and I can't imagine they would stay and fight. I saw something similar on another game where it was a deer fighting a warrior. I just happened to come to that point in the video so maybe they are beguiled or some such thing?

Well a stag might attack you if you went to near his herd, but that's about it.
  • AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    These deer are not on Earth. They are in a fantasy world. And in that fantasy world, evidently there are some seriously pissed off deer.

It's like snakes who kick in EQ. Just roll with it. :)
    SovrathScotManWithNoTanfrancis3343austinmawStrizzy12tweedledumb99

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• RenfailRenfail Member EpicPosts: 1,638
    edited December 2018
    Hah! We were just talking about this during the session last night; we haven't done a proper AI pass just yet, so things are very basic and simple in that regard. Long-term, deer will typically run away from you and will be found in herds; wolves will be found in packs; bears will often be solo unless with cubs; boars will typically leave you alone unless they have babies (or rabies!). However, an AI pass is not the current focus of this build, so things are as they are :)

post-coffee edit: wolves are in PACKS, not herds =)
    ScotLokeroaustinmaw
    Tim "Renfail" Anderson | Wandering Hermits Patreon
    The game is definitely looking better with each build, in my opinion.

@Renfail do you have any preliminary estimate as to when the servers will go up and stay that way for longer time periods? I think it would be a point when I jump in. Playing for a week here and there is not enough for me to buy the game just yet.
    Thanks; we're working hard to make it so. 

Nope; no estimate. I could make something up, but honestly we're at least a year out from needing to think about that type of testing. 

At the earliest, sometime in 2020. We still have a boatload of work to get done before we worry about needing players in the game testing 24/7. Right now only the devs have 24/7 access, and our Dev Tavern backers (Patron level or above) get to log in on a far more frequent basis than the rest of the backers. 

For example, the majority of players haven't been in since August; our Dev Tavern backers have been in twice in the last seven days, but even that is only because we're ramping up for Release 11 and we needed more eyes on things so we've ran several special sessions with them (including last night for the above video). 
    [Deleted User]
  • CryomatrixCryomatrix Member EpicPosts: 3,223
    edited December 2018
    Graphics look good. C'mon man, wolves are in packs not herds.
    Post edited by Cryomatrix on
    Renfail
    Catch me streaming at twitch.tv/cryomatrix
    You can see my sci-fi/WW2 book recommendations. 
    Graphics look good. C'mon msn, wolves are in packs not herds.
    I haven't had coffee yet =P
    austinmaw
    Renfail said:
    The game is definitely looking better with each build, in my opinion.

@Renfail do you have any preliminary estimate as to when the servers will go up and stay that way for longer time periods? I think it would be a point when I jump in. Playing for a week here and there is not enough for me to buy the game just yet.
    Thanks; we're working hard to make it so. 

Nope; no estimate. I could make something up, but honestly we're at least a year out from needing to think about that type of testing. 

At the earliest, sometime in 2020. We still have a boatload of work to get done before we worry about needing players in the game testing 24/7. Right now only the devs have 24/7 access, and our Dev Tavern backers (Patron level or above) get to log in on a far more frequent basis than the rest of the backers. 

For example, the majority of players haven't been in since August; our Dev Tavern backers have been in twice in the last seven days, but even that is only because we're ramping up for Release 11 and we needed more eyes on things so we've ran several special sessions with them (including last night for the above video). 
    Thanks for taking the time to answer.

I have been coming to this forum for years presenting my opinion on what an MMORPG is and how they should be monetized and stuff like that. I think it is time for me to put my money where my mouth is. I will buy some package on your website to support you as I think you are just doing it right and I wish there were more developers like you.
    We appreciate it :) 

At some point next year we plan on moving into alpha, at which point the pre-order store shuts down and whoever is in is "it" as far as our alpha testing goes, and we'll finally be requiring NDAs (which we haven't to-date as we haven't been testing any content but rather only features and mechanics). And that period will last at least a year. 

We probably won't worry about 24/7 servers until we are towards the end of alpha.

We've got some new investors who have already signed on for a January infusion of cash, and several more coming on board in early 2019 (we'll have an announcement next year) and we'll be expanding our team accordingly and moving into a more full-time development schedule rather than part-time, which is where we've been at the past few years building this up on our own.

Once we have investments squared away along with the new team members, we'll likely be moving to a more frequent testing schedule, but behind closed doors. 
    [Deleted User]MadFrenchieaustinmaw
  • borghive49borghive49 Member RarePosts: 493
    Are you guys using Unity for this?
  • MarleVVLLMarleVVLL Member UncommonPosts: 907
    Congratulations to the team! Your work is very inspiring, and it's been a joy watching your steady progress. Keep it up!
    Renfailaustinmaw

MMO migrant.

MarleVVLL said:
    Congratulations to the team! Your work is very inspiring, and it's been a joy watching your steady progress. Keep it up!
    Thanks! And that's the plan! :) 
  • joezhudarakjoezhudarak Member UncommonPosts: 32
    edited December 2018
    the ambience is ok, but the mobs, character animations and combat system is a shame even for a pre alpha game.
    Renfailmmolou
  • SelzyrSelzyr Member UncommonPosts: 60
    meh, nothing new here...
    mmolou
    Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning. And the more you know Insanity, is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. But I can tell you that only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    I don't mind the realism of packs and herds at all but what i despise is LEASHING 3-6 mobs all on the same AI,they should act individually.WHat every game has also slacked on is proper delay times,often you attack one and all 6 come running at the EXACT same time and with the EXACT same intent and purpose,it looks bad and fake.
    Usually what would happen is a delay,a second or two to size up what just happened,why was the mob startled which also leads me into old school crappy aggro systems like every mob in game on the EXACT same proximity range.
    Time to give mobs in games their own individual identity and Ai and have them work together like you might expect them to in real life.Example Bears might band together ,rabbits would definitely FLEE for themselves ,screw that guy he is out of luck mentality.

Sentient beings might try and heal each other if in close proximity.Another thing that always bothered me stuns,it seems every developer is so lazy they just automatic create a whole zone or a certain level where every mob uses a stun.

Yeah lots of little knit picking but i need good solid game design not half assed ideas of old or new.
    Lokero

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

Selzyr said:
    meh, nothing new here...
    Nope. Still in pre-alpha. Still not a released product. Still not polished. 
  • Riotact007Riotact007 Member UncommonPosts: 246
    I don't know too much about this game but I follow its progress and it always looks good
    Renfail
    I don't know too much about this game but I follow its progress and it always looks good
    To be fair, and while I will *NEVER* turn down praise, we do still look pre-alpha :) We haven't added more than half a dozen spell effects, a half dozen combat animations, and none of those are polished or done by a professional animator or VFX artist. 

There's a LONG way until we can get to what I would consider professional. Meanwhile, we've got plenty more features and mechanics to add to the game, and all of those trump polish!
    Renfail said:
    To be fair, and while I will *NEVER* turn down praise, we do still look pre-alpha :) We haven't added more than half a dozen spell effects, a half dozen combat animations, and none of those are polished or done by a professional animator or VFX artist. 

There's a LONG way until we can get to what I would consider professional. Meanwhile, we've got plenty more features and mechanics to add to the game, and all of those trump polish!
    What is the long term goal for the animations?  I know you mentioned new revenue streams incoming.  Any plans to be able to do some motion capture?  With spell animations sometimes less is more.  I love FFXIV but christ all those particle effects are nauseating at times in a raid.
    Motion capture is a AAA thing. Highly unlikely we'll find room in our budget for it. 

Two of the planned new hires are a VFX artist and Digital Animator. When those people come on board, however, is up in the air. They are further down the pipeline than a Graphics Programmer + Senior Programmer to help Bobby and Rich out, and further down even than a Senior/Lead modeler to replace Liz (who went on to work with Naughty Dog on Last of Us 2 earlier this year /sadface-but-also-high-five).  
  • elfdragon21elfdragon21 Member UncommonPosts: 47
    edited January 2019
    @Renfail, I am one of those players that like choice, so I love the idea of no classes and picking and choosing your skills to build your own class. I don't really know much about this game. I came across it from the game list. I hope one day there there is an mmorpg where skills are gained by defeating bosses or through exploration. I think Pantheon is supposed to be something like this. So my question is: How are skills acquired and leveled?
    Renfail
    edited January 2019
    @Renfail, I am one of those players that like choice, so I love the idea of no classes and picking and choosing your skills to build your own class. I don't really know much about this game. I came across it from the game list. I hope one day there there is an mmorpg where skills are gained by defeating bosses or through exploration. I think Pantheon is supposed to be something like this. So my question is: How are skills acquired and leveled?
    Around 15% of your abilities will be found via trainers in cities. These are what we are calling the "base" abilities, which are those things which every player has access to, such as basic sword skills, basic bow skills, basic runelore and etc. 

The other 85% (the advanced abilities) will be found out in the wild: on specialty trainers in remote locations (such as the depths of dungeons or dangerous zones, places where you dare not go alone); at the end of lengthy quest chains that require you to perform multiple tasks, some that can be done alone, but most of which require a group; or dropped as scrolls/tomes from boss mobs in dungeons and raids. 

Some abilities will require you to have mastered several other abilities in unique combinations in order to qualify. Others will require you to speak a certain language in order to talk to the trainer or read the tome/scrolls. Still others will require you to have reached a certain level of faction in order to prove your worth to the trainer (or trainers). 

These are just a few examples. The bottom line is that we're planning on having the vast majority of abilities in the game be earned rather than given. Players will have to actively play the game, explore, work hard, put in time + effort, and play well with others if they want to achieve the best results for their character. 

Abilities are progressed through continual and successful use. Swing and a miss = no progression. Swing and a hit = progression. If you want to level up your lockpicking you'll need to find a lock with a relevant difficulty for your current skills; if it's too high, you won't get any skillups from the encounter. Similarly, if it's too low, you also won't get any skillups from the encounter. Same thing in combat.

@elfdragon21 P.S. a far quicker way to get your questions answered is over on our Discord, where we hang out on a daily basis. I sometimes can go 3-4 weeks or more between checking in at places like MMORPG.com; this morning I only happened to be here by chance with coffee and saw the notification that someone had pinged me in a comment. 

Cheers!
    elfdragon21
  • elfdragon21elfdragon21 Member UncommonPosts: 47

Renfail said:

Around 15% of your abilities will be found via trainers in cities. These are what we are calling the "base" abilities, which are those things which every player has access to, such as basic sword skills, basic bow skills, basic runelore and etc. 

The other 85% (the advanced abilities) will be found out in the wild: on specialty trainers in remote locations (such as the depths of dungeons or dangerous zones, places where you dare not go alone); at the end of lengthy quest chains that require you to perform multiple tasks, some that can be done alone, but most of which require a group; or dropped as scrolls/tomes from boss mobs in dungeons and raids. 

Some abilities will require you to have mastered several other abilities in unique combinations in order to qualify. Others will require you to speak a certain language in order to talk to the trainer or read the tome/scrolls. Still others will require you to have reached a certain level of faction in order to prove your worth to the trainer (or trainers). 

These are just a few examples. The bottom line is that we're planning on having the vast majority of abilities in the game be earned rather than given. Players will have to actively play the game, explore, work hard, put in time + effort, and play well with others if they want to achieve the best results for their character. 

Abilities are progressed through continual and successful use. Swing and a miss = no progression. Swing and a hit = progression. If you want to level up your lockpicking you'll need to find a lock with a relevant difficulty for your current skills; if it's too high, you won't get any skillups from the encounter. Similarly, if it's too low, you also won't get any skillups from the encounter. Same thing in combat.

@elfdragon21 P.S. a far quicker way to get your questions answered is over on our Discord, where we hang out on a daily basis. I sometimes can go 3-4 weeks or more between checking in at places like MMORPG.com; this morning I only happened to be here by chance with coffee and saw the notification that someone had pinged me in a comment. 

Cheers!

It sounds exactly what I am looking for in an MMO. Thank you for the quick reply by chance!
    Renfail