Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

GameSpace Opinion: Fallout 76 Must Fail - MMORPG.com

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited December 2018 in News & Features Discussion

imageGameSpace Opinion: Fallout 76 Must Fail - MMORPG.com

In his latest provocative editorial over at GameSpace.com, Poorna Shankar has written a piece entitled "Fallout 76 Must Fail". Poorna believes that FO76 must fail both commercially and critically since most companies only pay attention to the bottom line, namely financial gain. "Bad ideas, and bad executions of bad ideas, must fail".

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• immoralthangimmoralthang Member RarePosts: 300
    edited December 2018
    Fallout 76 can't be a failure if Bethesda doesn't offer refunds. :)

Kidding aside, I hope 76's disastrous launch and CanvasGate will inspire Bethesda to make Starfield amazing. Whether or not that actually happens is a giant speculation game at this point.
    sythraelKyleranTacticalZombehThaharbartoni33
  • TheScavengerTheScavenger Member EpicPosts: 3,321

Fallout 76 can't be a failure if Bethesda doesn't offer refunds. :)

Kidding aside, I hope 76's disastrous launch and CanvasGate will inspire Bethesda to make Starfield amazing. Whether or not that actually happens is a giant speculation game at this point.

Someone can refund by doing a charge back of whatever bank they use. Instant ban on bethesda's store site but oh well who cares about that anyway lol. Not like its steam or some major retail site like ubisoft/ea's origin.

But if companies don't offer a refund, then they deserve to be charged back on when they don't deliver. And I bet that is why (at least one major reason) bethesda didn't use steam, because of steam's very refund friendly policies (which they didn't use to be of course, but they are by far the best at refunds these days).
    sythraelmmolouFacelessSaviorgastovski1RoinThaharbartoni33infomatzPhry

My Skyrim, Fallout 4, Starbound and WoW + other game mods at MODDB: 

https://www.moddb.com/mods/skyrim-anime-overhaul

• rodarinrodarin Member EpicPosts: 2,611
    They have had weekly updates. Today being the second major one and one scheduled for next week. IF (and thats a big if) they can right the ship and getting it going back in a direction people can get behind then maybe lesson learned by them.

I think Bethesda has a lot of suits above the game maker level trying to maximize profits. But every company has that these days apparently.

FO 76 already did a few things 'right'. Immediately cutting it in half price wise was one. Had they refunded anyone who paid full price half their money it would have been even better. Theyre making the aforementioned updates and patches.

The whole bag fiasco was a nightmare but theyre making that right. More to pressure I am sure than actually thinking its the 'right' thing to do.

Bethesda has a long history of releasing bugged and crap product initially. The fact people are so outraged about that is amazing. Even Skyrim kind of sucked before modders got a hold of it.

I know its the easy thing to do now and jump on this game and bandwagon it. But the more it gets fixed and improved the more these clowns jumping on the bandwagon without knowing anything about the game or how its being 'improved' they just start to look stupid.
    ZenJellyKyleran[Deleted User]winghaven1Rain_Deathravenjmlane223Rovn
  • MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    @SBFord question:

Is there any way to link my MMORPG account to an account with GameSpace? Just curious.
    JeffSpicoli

• AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,838
    edited December 2018
    I have to agree. If Fallout 76 is a financial success (defined relative to expectations) it will send a bad message to the industry at large - that broken, unfinished, unpolished, anti-consumer games can be financially successful.

Coincidentally, this is the same bad message that the financial success of PUBG sent, before the better and more polished Fortnite put it in its place.
    KyleransausagemixAgent_Joseph
  • CryomatrixCryomatrix Member EpicPosts: 3,223
    I think the game will pull through. If No Man's Sky can make a comeback, then Bethesda should be able to make a comeback.

I didn't really like FO4, so i wasn't going to bother with FO76. Plus, if i'm going to play a survival game, i'll probably play Conan Exiles even though Ark is calling my name.

Too bad, it doesn't matter, as i'm in love with Path of Exile and the new season comes out in 3 days.
    MadFrenchieZenJellyKyleranThaharPhry
    Catch me streaming at twitch.tv/cryomatrix
    You can see my sci-fi/WW2 book recommendations. 
    edited December 2018
    Also, just an idea for future consideration: you guys ever consider running a dueling-banjo style review with two members of the MMORPG.com/GameSpace staff whenever you get two reviews that seem to contrast with regard to overall tone and opinion on a hotly debated popularly discussed title ?

It would've been cool to see this reviewer and the MMORPG.com reviewer debate the areas of the game back and forth together.  That seems to mimic some of the discussion we've had here, so I would be interested in reading such a review style myself.
    MendelFacelessSaviorbartoni33mikeb0817

• AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,838
    Also, just an idea for future consideration: you guys ever consider running a dueling-banjo style review with two members of the MMORPG.com/GameSpace staff whenever you get two reviews that seem to contrast?

It would've been cool to see this reviewer and the MMORPG.com reviewer debate the areas of the game back and forth together.  That seems to mimic some of the discussion we've had here, so I would be interested in reading such a review style myself.
    It might be impractical.

I think a box at the bottom of reviews with one sentence to one paragraph opinions from any and all applicable MMORPG reviewers might have a similar result.
    MadFrenchieMrMelGibson
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,015
    rodarin said:

FO 76 already did a few things 'right'. Immediately cutting it in half price wise was one.
    I don't see it as being half price. Where, for PC, is it Half price?
    NyghthowlermklinicAskeaWo
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • parpinparpin Member UncommonPosts: 220
    i agree with gamespace, they hype the game and fool people into pre ordering the game, they make a lot of money out of hype and lies, fallout 76, no man sky are just beginning if this false and con works out, there will be more companies who are greedy enough to follow them, it must fail for game industry to grow more and become more healthy.
  • SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
    @SBFord question:

Is there any way to link my MMORPG account to an account with GameSpace? Just curious.
    Pretty sure, no. :<
    MadFrenchieinfomatz

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Aeander said:
    Also, just an idea for future consideration: you guys ever consider running a dueling-banjo style review with two members of the MMORPG.com/GameSpace staff whenever you get two reviews that seem to contrast?

It might be impractical.

I think a box at the bottom of reviews with one sentence to one paragraph opinions from any and all applicable MMORPG reviewers might have a similar result.
    Very true, it would require a lot of cooperation between the writers, passing drafts back and forth.

I like the box idea, though I'd like to see them linked to full review pieces if possible.  So that we can easily navigate to all the staff's opinions.

That's a lot of work for us forum-goers, though. ;)

• NyghthowlerNyghthowler Member UncommonPosts: 392

Sovrath said:

rodarin said:

FO 76 already did a few things 'right'. Immediately cutting it in half price wise was one.

Also curious about this. Every sight I checked is asking $59.99 for the base game as of today (12-4).
  • Mackaveli44Mackaveli44 Member RarePosts: 710
    edited December 2018
    If people wish ill will or failure upon a game, there is something seriously wrong with that individual. That said, everybody jumps on the bandwagon of bashing the game for some reason when in reality, it's not nearly as bad as people make it out to be. It definitely has bugs and problems but people are making it out to be the devil like it is unplayable and issues out the ass and it doesn't.
    ZarriyaZenJellyKyleranTacticalZombehjusomdudeSolar_Prophetjmlane223Ricardo5802Rovn
  • sythraelsythrael Member UncommonPosts: 58

rodarin said:

They have had weekly updates. Today being the second major one and one scheduled for next week. IF (and thats a big if) they can right the ship and getting it going back in a direction people can get behind then maybe lesson learned by them.

I think Bethesda has a lot of suits above the game maker level trying to maximize profits. But every company has that these days apparently.

FO 76 already did a few things 'right'. Immediately cutting it in half price wise was one. Had they refunded anyone who paid full price half their money it would have been even better. Theyre making the aforementioned updates and patches.

The whole bag fiasco was a nightmare but theyre making that right. More to pressure I am sure than actually thinking its the 'right' thing to do.

Bethesda has a long history of releasing bugged and crap product initially. The fact people are so outraged about that is amazing. Even Skyrim kind of sucked before modders got a hold of it.

I know its the easy thing to do now and jump on this game and bandwagon it. But the more it gets fixed and improved the more these clowns jumping on the bandwagon without knowing anything about the game or how its being 'improved' they just start to look stupid.

To me, that sounds like what should constitute a beta phase. Especially considering that there are bugs and issues that keep recurring with these games that are quickly fixed by modding communities with each new game. For those, at least, they should know what to watch for and clean up their act.

The fact that they continue to release game after game in such sub-par status is a problem. This game has the potential to be really good. I know a lot of people that do enjoy it now. But it is in no way a finished product. I expect some bugs and flaws, but as mentioned before, some of these "bugs" have become like perpetually flooded toilets in a restroom. Always there, stinking things up, but left by management for the customers to clean up.
    MadFrenchieZenJellybartoni33

May the Chaos forever bind you to it's glory.

• sayuusayuu Member RarePosts: 766
    Fallout 76 must fail because it is a low effort cash grab.

Battlefield V must also fail for the same reason AND their disdain for their long term customers.

Blizzard too, with Diablo, but that seems unlikely unfortunately.

come to think of it the industry probably needs another crash like back in the 70's so the big boy companies can wake up and start making quality again.
    ZenJellyWarEnsemble
  • KitsunamiKitsunami Member UncommonPosts: 101
    I and my partner have both really enjoyed the game so far. It's weird, it's buggy and yet somehow once you start playing you can't stop
    SovrathZenJellyKyleran[Deleted User]MrMelGibsonRovn
  • sayuusayuu Member RarePosts: 766
    Kitsunami said:
    I and my partner have both really enjoyed the game so far. It's weird, it's buggy and yet somehow once you start playing you can't stop
    . . .but, I did stop.

ZenJellyRoinNephethMrMelGibsonRicardo5802Rovn
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Would be one of the more honest and truthful threads ever on a gaming website.
    However i have to wonder is this just following what i often hear people say about Wow,people just hating on it because everyone else does?

Somewhere over the past 10 years or so,it really appears to me that we as gamer's are becoming less inclined to care about quality of games and just buy literally anything that comes out as new or anything they see a popular streamer playing.
    This is not just assumption or opinion either,this is fact and why so many devs are stooping so low as to hand out free copies and sponsor popular streamers.Example leading up to the newest Hearthstone release Blizzard was using both Kripparian and Disguised Toast.Now both of those two are mildly different than most streamers,they will sometimes tend to give honest opinions but USUALLY this whole scummy marketing approach is used because those sponsored gamer's are making a boatload of money and would never say anything negative to rock their money boat.

In case of Fallout,it was pretty hard to manipulate the public and media because imo it is THAT bad and literally doing very little.It was and why i mentioned in the start of this post,disheartening to see all those sponsored gamer's ,the big name guys putting titles on their stream to purposely undermine the problems of the game,stuff like.."enjoying it for the exploration"was a very popular one.
    Bottom line,we need to stop spending money on every new game and promise that comes out,we need to start thinking and paying attention first.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,015
    edited December 2018

Sovrath said:

rodarin said:

Also curious about this. Every sight I checked is asking $59.99 for the base game as of today (12-4).
    exactly. I've seen videos with people saying that it's slashed but nowhere do I see it slashed.

It's full price on the Bethesda site, Amazon, GameStop, and Walmart. Target has it for $10 cheaper. But that's not half.
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • ZarriyaZarriya Member UncommonPosts: 446
    The game is really a lot of fun. There are some bugs / d/c's but not too bad for a game that just launched. Improvements are coming quick enough. I have played this game everyday since beta and have really enjoyed it.
    SovrathZenJellyNepheth[Deleted User]KyleranMrMelGibsonRain_DeathravenRovn
    edited December 2018
    Sovrath said:

Sovrath said:

rodarin said:

exactly. I've seen videos with people saying that it's slashed but nowhere do I see it slashed.

It's full price on the Bethesda site, Amazon, GameStop, and Walmart. Target has it for $10 cheaper. But that's not half.
    Oddly enough, the price cuts have only remained for console copies.  Not sure why the PC copies wouldn't enjoy the same price point, the traditional wisdom would be that they don't need to slash prices for PC.

That would also be consistent with the idea that Fallout has always been a predominantly PC franchise and, as such, there are likely more die-hard Fallout fans on PC than consoles.  However, for a PC title, the issues are at its worst, including things such as FPS-tethered physics and lack of PTT or FoV settings.

SBFord said:
    @SBFord question:

Pretty sure, no. :<
    Thanks for the info.  It would likely be hard to connect the two considering the relative ages of the pages themselves.  I imagine GameSpace, as a whole, works on much more modern infrastructure than MMORPG solely due to relative age.

I keep wanting to start visiting GameSpace, but I already see all you guys here!

edited December 2018
    Aeander said:
    I have to agree. If Fallout 76 is a financial success (defined relative to expectations) it will send a bad message to the industry at large - that broken, unfinished, unpolished, anti-consumer games can be financially successful.

Coincidentally, this is the same bad message that the financial success of PUBG sent, before the better and more polished Fortnite put it in its place.
    Until I read your second sentence, I was just about to respond with "you mean send a message that they can continue to release games in these conditions?"

The message has already been communicated loud and clear.  You don't even need a game at all; just design philosophy buzzwords and some slick marketing.

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,355
    edited December 2018
    The message that a lot of players don't care if a game is a buggy mess and will buy it anyway has already been sent by a lot of other games.  That's usually the message that pre-orders send, for example.  Crowdfunding usually sends that message even more strongly:  a lot of people care more about the list of features that a company hopes to implement than what they actually deliver.

So long as that's what a lot of players want, why shouldn't there be companies that deliver it?  If you bought a game that was widely known to be a buggy mess, and that upsets you, then why'd you buy it?  If that's not what you want, then don't pay for games until they're in a state where you're happy to play them as they are.
    Sovrath[Deleted User]d_20ConstantineMerusinfomatz