Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Officially The Greatest YEAR Ever For SC Crowdfunding

Comments

• MaxBaconMaxBacon Member LegendaryPosts: 7,766
    edited December 2018
    Meh all things aside there's way better sources then FTR, he literally went full dark side then has some moments of calm and quiet, but very very very unstable nature. On discussions I've seen between him and backers I gotta say the exchanges between the fans vs haters vs skeptics here are more middle-grounded and calm. FTR sadly seems to be still covering SC out of spite to a group of backers and a love-hate relationship with SC.
  • MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    MaxBacon said:
    Meh all things aside there's way better sources then FTR, he literally went full dark side then has some moments of calm and quiet, but very very very unstable nature. On discussions I've seen between him and backers I gotta say the exchanges between the fans vs haters vs skeptics here are more middle-grounded and calm. FTR sadly seems to be still covering SC out of spite to a group of backers and a love-hate relationship with SC.
    The reason for his coverage doesn't govern the validity of his concerns based on the merits and facts of the development and marketing.

Counter the position, not the person.
    Octagon7711Kefo

edited December 2018
    The reason for his coverage doesn't govern the validity of his concerns based on the merits and facts of the development and marketing.

I've seen how discussions flow between him and backers, it gets worse than anything I've seen since I've been on this forum, excluding those gore threats we witnessed time ago. It's an overwhelming pot of emotions that I prefer to keep my distance from, I'm here fine :p 
    MadFrenchie
  • GrindcoreTHRALLGrindcoreTHRALL Member UncommonPosts: 303
    SC is shaping up nicely. I am excited for the new flight model. Many of the bugs that were keeping me from enjoying the alpha are gone now and the fps is smoooooooooooooooth. I am having a blast flying around on peoples hammerheads and manning 1 of 6 turrets while dog fighting. Its easy to make friends since grouping up is so beneficial. I am bored of basically every game right now and the game I am excited for is SC.
    BabuinixOdeezee
  • GutlardGutlard Member RarePosts: 1,019
    Well whenever it comes out, I just hope everyone is happy with the end result, and it's not left up to the players to help fix/find bugs upon the 'full release.'

Hopefully, CiG learned from Falloutgate 2018.

And hopefully those of us waiting for the full release before jumping in won't be so far behind others spending cash now, that it ruins our gameplay/fun.

Gut Out!

What, me worry?

• rodarinrodarin Member EpicPosts: 2,611
    well theyre certainly spending the money they have 'hired' a few mid range guys as well. I have seen 4 or 5 streamers I have watched for a few years streaming this and its pretty apparent theyre in full sell out mode. Two of them literally went through every single ship and/or package to show how you DONT have to spend that much money but when grilled in their chat they went sub only and even that wasnt good enough to stop the hazing.

Lirik even streamed it the other night. A total doofus but he has a huge following somehow. But all he did was show 45K + viewers how broken the game is. The infamous TEE position nonstop all night. NPC 'sitting' on chairs while floating in the air way above them. NPCs (still) clipping and walking through walls and falling through stores.

Even when a dev got on to hold his hand and steer him clear of all the broken shit they still encountered so much it was hilarious reading his chat too.

Basically every comment started or ended with "200 million''
    edited December 2018
    I noticed that some people appeared on this forum who eagerly support certain game and somehow take pride in gaming companies' "achievements" as if they were their own, be it number of accounts created, cash raised, etc..

Notice they have one thing in common, they always end their posts about these "achievements" with this emoticon 
    This game only exists because of its backers, so is not crazy to people to celebrate the achievements they have, either it is on funding, successful updates, company growth, etc... 

Such is the nature of crowdfunding, while not a proper investment it does play out on the same lines when investors celebrate the success of what they put their money on.

It's actually also present in normal games, on MMO's people invested a lot of time and/or money on the same attachment to the success of the product and the company is visible.
    edited December 2018
    MaxBacon said:

I've seen how discussions flow between him and backers, it gets worse than anything I've seen since I've been on this forum, excluding those gore threats we witnessed time ago. It's an overwhelming pot of emotions that I prefer to keep my distance from, I'm here fine :p 
    Be that as it may, it would be useful to us for you (or someone else heavily involved in the progress) to at least summarize the facts and merits he's getting wrong, because he goes out of his way to show CR directly corroborating what he says about the game's direction on an issue he got attacked by the faithful on.  Those kinds of examples buy credibility.

Be that as it may, it would be useful to us for you (or someone else heavily involved in the progress) to at least summarize the facts and merits he's getting wrong, because he goes out of his way to show CR directly corroborating what he says about the game's direction on an issue he got attacked by the faithful on.  Those kinds of examples buy credibility.
    I don't want to summarize because I don't want to watch his content anymore, every video is a copy/paste rant of the many previous ones it's a constant re-use of material and arguments, like DS himself over the years people stop paying attention he became a broken disk on a loop, I've moved on from the past and focus on the present and the future of this project, it's quite more interesting for me.
    edited December 2018
    MaxBacon said:
    I don't want to summarize because I don't want to watch his content anymore, every video is a copy/paste rant of the many previous ones it's a constant re-use of material and arguments, like DS himself over the years people stop paying attention he became a broken disk on a loop, I've moved on from the past and focus on the present and the future of this project, it's quite more interesting for me.
    Be that as it may, it doesn't say a lot that you won't watch his content to form a rebuttals. Additionally, you say it's the same material over and over as if you're familiar with it.  Would you need to watch all of it again if it's the same content you're already familiar with?

Are you familiar with the specifics of his claims?  What about the evolutionary move to LTI exclusive war bond ships?  Any comment on alternative rationales for that other than the one the guy gives regarding pushing backers into using new money instead of melting older ships to help transition into newer, more expensive ones?

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,986
    Jeromy Walsh must be biting his ermine robe in disbelief that someone can beat him at P2W.
  • ArglebargleArglebargle Member EpicPosts: 3,396
    Said in the proper authoritarian voice:
    "Roberts.  Roberts never changes...."
    PhaserlightKefo

If you are holding out for the perfect game, the only game you play will be the waiting one.

edited December 2018
    Be that as it may, it doesn't say a lot that you won't watch his content to form a rebuttals. Additionally, you say it's the same material over and over as if you're familiar with it.  Would you need to watch all of it again if it's the same content you're already familiar with?

Are you familiar with the specifics of his claims?  What about the evolutionary move to LTI exclusive war bond ships?  Any comment on alternative rationales for that other than the one the guy gives regarding pushing backers into using new money instead of melting older ships to help transition into newer, more expensive ones?
    It's a waste of time, I've noticed most backers also moved away from countering him and mostly I just see the most triggered/aggressive fans having a go (aka what makes him have the peak moments just to spite them). This seems to have also happened with DS; after his sub went down you today do not see stuff pop up about it like it was constantly happening before, and that is not a bad thing, less drama-llama having a go at the fans seems to have made the aim more at CIG where we've seen the community laying big chunks of criticism themselves directly at the company dropping a bunch of that defensive shield all doomsaying, trolling and spite built up for years.

I am familiar, and I don't care about most of them, I don't care about LTI or war bond ships, the old vs new money, it's really the last topic I care about its those details as I think when people are too focused on the value they get in return for the pledges they miss the point of why the continuous crowdfund exists in the first place.
    edited December 2018
    MaxBacon said:

It's a waste of time, I've noticed most backers also moved away from countering him and mostly I just see the most triggered/aggressive fans having a go (aka what makes him have the peak moments just to spite them). This seems to have also happened with DS; after his sub went down you today do not see stuff pop up about it like it was constantly happening before, and that is not a bad thing, less drama-llama having a go at the fans seems to have made the aim more at CIG where we've seen the community laying big chunks of criticism themselves directly at the company dropping a bunch of that defensive shield all doomsaying, trolling and spite built up for years.

I am familiar, and I don't care about most of them, I don't care about LTI or war bond ships, the old vs new money, it's really the last topic I care about its those details as I think when people are too focused on the value they get in return for the pledges they miss the point of why the continuous crowdfund exists in the first place.
    For folks who feel the ends justifies the means, sure.  I would say not many feel that way, though, if it comes down to it, even if they say it now because the "means" aren't falling to them specifically.

Nothing about you personally avoiding the LTI war bond system absolves it of its potential as a manipulative funding mechanism.  With all due respect, I didn't ask how much you cared that LTI war bond ships were exclusive now, I asked if you had an alternative rationale for how CIG changed that that isn't "ends justify the means, it's for money!" I asked for specifics to counter his claim that CIG has been increasingly putting the screws to their own dedicated backers for years and aren't showing any signs of letting up.

You don't have to answer, I'm not owed it from you.  But if there's an alternate explanation that would speak to a different strategy by CIG, not only would that resolve an issue I personally have with the monetization tactics of CIG, but it would also lend some credence to your assertion the YouTuber has no credibility.

Telling me the faithful have written him off as a lost cause does nothing to damage his credibility as a critic.

For folks who feel the ends justifies the means, sure.  I would say not many feel that way, though, if it comes down to it, even if they say it now because the "means" aren't falling to them specifically.

Nothing about you personally avoiding the LTI war bond system absolves it of its potential as a manipulative funding mechanism.  With all due respect, I didn't ask how much you cared that LTI war bond ships were exclusive now, I asked if you had an alternative rationale for how CIG changed that that isn't "ends justify the means, it's for money!" I asked for specifics to counter his claim that CIG has been increasingly putting the screws to their own dedicated backers for years and aren't showing any signs of letting up.

You don't have to answer, I'm not owed it from you.  But if there's an alternate explanation that would speak to a different strategy by CIG, not only would that resolve an issue I personally have with the monetization tactics of CIG, but it would also lend some credence to your assertion the YouTuber has no credibility.

Telling me the faithful have written him off as a lost cause does nothing to damage his credibility as a critic.
    The company is funding their project as they can, we know that their scale is huge and that reflects on costs that partially released financial data shows to be hugely expensive, so the company here is just adapting the attractability of their pledge system, this is all because the game is not yet at a phase the revenue models the game always planned are not yet ready neither would be effective at this point, so it's indeed "ends justify the means", CIG in a way spoiled backers by allowing melting and giving you control to re-use money and buy new stuff with money CIG will not be seeing, so there's a bunch of stuff that mixed in edges with the point of the crowdfund and new pledges.

I don't care about that with him individually, discussions and criticism related to this topics already happens within the community with far less hyperbole so I don't need to resort to him as a source of information neither do I feel I have to counter it, hence I can ignore it and still be completely informed about the arguments, the counter-arguments, how they conduct the crowdfund and the various opinions about it.
    MaxBacon said:

The company is funding their project as they can, we know that their scale is huge and that reflects on costs that partially released financial data shows to be hugely expensive, so the company here is just adapting the attractability of their pledge system, this is all because the game is not yet at a phase the revenue models the game always planned are not yet ready neither would be effective at this point, so it's indeed "ends justify the means", CIG in a way spoiled backers by allowing melting and giving you control to re-use money and buy new stuff with money CIG will not be seeing, so there's a bunch of stuff that mixed in edges with the point of the crowdfund and new pledges.

I don't care about that with him individually, discussions and criticism related to this topics already happens within the community with far less hyperbole so I don't need to resort to him as a source of information neither do I feel I have to counter it, hence I can ignore it and still be completely informed about the arguments, the counter-arguments, how they conduct the crowdfund and the various opinions about it.
    You're the second backer who has finally admitted they don't care how CIG gets the funds to make the game, the important thing is that you get the game you've been wanting so badly.

That's your prerogative, but be aware it's a poor stance for a consumer to take in general.  Incredibly poor.

• goboygogoboygo Member RarePosts: 2,141
    Wizardry said:
    Able to double their frame rates on that incredibly detailed planet ...umm yeah,just sayn.
    EMPTY planets,this is what every video shows,VERY little work,nothing has changed this is a cash shop in space selling virtual models to people addicted to collecting them.
    Imagine that you land on a distant alien plant and there isnt a starbucks in sight anywhere just an empty lush gameworld.....

Go play an MMO if you want a quest giver standing there with a ? over his head when you land.
    Odeezee
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    gervaise1 said:
    <snip> This is just crowd funding and not including loans and other investors to my understanding.  <snip>
    Its all "crowdfunded".

There are no "loans"; there was - still is? - an arrangement were a bank (Coutts) loaned the UK office money at the <<start>> of a quarter that was "repaid" at the <<end>> of a quarter by a UK government game development grant. Why? Possibly cashflow but more likely a cheaper means of managing exchange rate fluctuations - most (probably all) companies that operate in multiple countries use "forex" to try and manage curremcy movements, which comes at a cost.

There are no investors. No shareholders expecting dividends. Probably some larger backers early on but no investors.
    I'm pretty sure they have something going with third party companies like Intel and that company they partnered with to do the FOIP and perhaps a few more.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    SC is shaping up nicely. I am excited for the new flight model. Many of the bugs that were keeping me from enjoying the alpha are gone now and the fps is smoooooooooooooooth. I am having a blast flying around on peoples hammerheads and manning 1 of 6 turrets while dog fighting. Its easy to make friends since grouping up is so beneficial. I am bored of basically every game right now and the game I am excited for is SC.
    There are a lot of great people in the game.  I constantly hear people asking if anyone needs a lift and looking for others who want to help man their ships.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    gervaise1 said:
    <snip> This is just crowd funding and not including loans and other investors to my understanding.  <snip>
    Its all "crowdfunded".

There are no "loans"; there was - still is? - an arrangement were a bank (Coutts) loaned the UK office money at the <<start>> of a quarter that was "repaid" at the <<end>> of a quarter by a UK government game development grant. Why? Possibly cashflow but more likely a cheaper means of managing exchange rate fluctuations - most (probably all) companies that operate in multiple countries use "forex" to try and manage curremcy movements, which comes at a cost.

There are no investors. No shareholders expecting dividends. Probably some larger backers early on but no investors.
    I'm pretty sure they have something going with third party companies like Intel and that company they partnered with to do the FOIP and perhaps a few more.
    Intel did a marketing promotion with RSI. Which was mutual advertising - since Intel got their name out there for the price of - a couple of M.2 NVMe's was it? Something like that. Don't think that counts as funding! 

The FOIP been used is that developed by Faceware Technologies - not as I said in a thread several weeks back by RSI - don't make that mistake. Faceware Technologies FOIP has been used in e.g. Starwars Battlefront II for example - no suggestion that EA is funding SC though! Its no more a part of SC than a keyboard or a mouse is. Its a standalone product.

Essentially all RSI are doing is enabling the interface. Unlike keyboards and mice etc. FOIP is still somewhat new so they are probably getting help from Faceware Technologies. If they are though they won't be providing the help to "fund" SC they will be doing it as part of a drive to promote their products, get their FOIP product into games etc. And the why is obvious: so that people / companies will buy Faceware Technologies hardware and software.

Odeezee
  • RobsolfRobsolf Member RarePosts: 4,607
    Babuinix said:
    Robsolf said:
    At 2-ish minutes... crazy head/helmet stuff going on.

At 7-ish minutes, the pilot closes the bay door from a breathable atmosphere, instantly starts suffocating on their ship until they put their helmet back on. 

"Gameplay" at last!  :P

7:40  (supplemental) This planet is ridden with pollen.  That's bad enough.  But apparently it's pollen that tears through the cockpit, and is almost blizzard-like.  A day on this planet and peeps lungs would be like giant Q-tip ends.

I'm not going to continue with this...

If this was an alpha engine demonstration, worked on for 1-3 years starting in 2012, I'd probably be impressed.  Honestly.

But it's not.  It's a game.  A game many many people have already paid for.  6 years ago.
    The point on that video was a quick way to showcase the quality of detail and lightning of the planet. It's also important to note that the game is in alpha stage of heavy development and not a fully finished and polished experience so anyone thinking of buying in should first adjust their expectations accordingly.

If my intent was to "flex" and showcase some of the things it already provides decently I would post something like the scale of the planet and ships:

The group play:

The questing:

The trading:

The mining:

The Racing:

The FPS:

As for the NMS comparisons...well let's just say they showcase that people have no clue about both games.
    Ever wonder why they don't show you this in one seamless video?
    Odeezee
  • KefoKefo Member EpicPosts: 4,229
    goboygo said:
    Wizardry said:
    Able to double their frame rates on that incredibly detailed planet ...umm yeah,just sayn.
    EMPTY planets,this is what every video shows,VERY little work,nothing has changed this is a cash shop in space selling virtual models to people addicted to collecting them.
    Imagine that you land on a distant alien plant and there isnt a starbucks in sight anywhere just an empty lush gameworld.....

Go play an MMO if you want a quest giver standing there with a ? over his head when you land.
    The sound you may have heard was the point flying way above your head.

Let’s create a nice strawman to try and redirect onto something that wasn’t even being talked about eh?
  • lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    edited December 2018
    Babuinix said:
    Getting facts straight is not damage control lol, also I'm not in the handcrafting bag business but I do expose a lot of hypocritical douche(bags) while pointing to their usual (bag) of cheap tricks. :D

If you don't know the history behind is hate against Star Citizen get informed first to get some perspective:

Hey, nothing wrong with being a fan mate, I pledged because of your information about the system requirements and don’t regret it. I also think the last patch is pretty amazing.

But.

The constant high fiving and bum fondling over every minor detail (how you can celebrate funding milestones as if they are the best thing ever when there is no actual relation between those and the quality or state of the actual game is beyond me) is in stark contrast with your mocking and curb stomping of any and all criticism, legit or not. It makes you look untrustworthy, a caricature if you like.

Maybe you don’t mind, I think it is a shame because you could be much more then a caricature in the average discussion about SC. You do actually know a lot about it and there is nothing wrong with being enthusiastic.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir 
    Post edited by lahnmir on
    MadFrenchieKefoBeansnBread
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

• ElsaboltsElsabolts Member RarePosts: 3,476
    November 30th great day at Egosoft, they know how to get things done.
    " Life Liberty and the Pursuit of Those Who  Would Threaten It "
                                            MAGA
  • BabuinixBabuinix Member EpicPosts: 4,265
    edited December 2018
    Robsolf said:
    Ever wonder why they don't show you this in one seamless video?
    Well they don't need to, you just log in and play the game and do these things. Guess if you're not able to do basic research you're also not into seeing 5+hour gaming sessions either lol
    lahnmir said:
    Hey, nothing wrong with being a fan mate, I pledged because of your information about the system requirements and don’t regret it. I also think the last patch is pretty amazing.

But.

The constant high fiving and bum fondling over every minor detail (how you can celebrate funding milestones as if they are the best thing ever when there is no actual relation between those and the quality or state of the actual game is beyond me) is in stark contrast with your mocking and curb stomping of any and all criticism, legit or not. It makes you look untrustworthy, a caricature if you like.

Maybe you don’t mind, I think it is a shame because you could be much more then a clown in the average discussion about SC. You do actually know a lot about it and there is nothing wrong with being enthusiastic.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir 
    I call it how I see it, there's plenty of trolls and haters who like to lie, obfuscate and generally sling mud at Star Citizen because they're but-hurt about it for some reason or another and I'm happy to expose them and if by doing so I get to ridicule them then so be it lol

You say that makes me untrustworthy while admitting you bought the game because of information I provided here so I dunno man seems kind of a contradiction but at the same time I'm glad you're seeing the progress and don't regret it.

Calling me a clown for exposing haters and having fun while doing it doesn't seem very accurate, considering I'm one of the few actually straightening lies with facts and calling all the past drama post's of their irrelevance way before they become in fact irrelevant. 

There's a common trend, trolls/haters/cynics say "X , Y , Z is impossible to do, CIG can't do it", "CIG is running out of money blahblah" CIG actually does it, community enjoys the update, new players join, money comes in, explores the content, videos and screenshots galore, trolls/haters/cynics go into hiding and think about any other thing to hate about, some weeks after the update and things calm down they come back with the some other thing to drama about lol

Rinse & Repeat

Nothing changes in the real world of game development, CIG keeps on developing the game and making millions in the process while it community keeps growing and having fun. That's just the way it is. Me posting and celebrating every million is just cherry on top tbh B)

Odeezee