Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Nvidia launches Titan RTX for $2500

QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,347
Because $1200 for a video card just wasn't enough.  Unlike the RTX 2080 Ti, it offers a fully functional GPU, with neither compute units nor a memory channel disabled.  It also sports 24 GB of memory.  No word on whether it will escape the horrible failure rates that have plagued the RTX 2080 Ti.

If you're buying a gaming GPU soon on an infinite budget, this is probably the one you want.  And on a budget slightly less than infinite, you should dismiss it out of hand as way too expensive.
H0urg1assnatpickGorwe

Comments

• CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,412
    I would dismiss it for a simple reason. nVidia is terrible at supporting these products. The expense is so high that barely anyone owns one. The use is so limited that the market isn't in gaming. Right now we are spoiled with monthly+ driver updates. Imagine owning a Titan V with a yearly driver update. At least with a Vega Frontier Edition you can load 3 drivers including the monthly updated gaming drivers. On this you would be limited drivers built just for this device.
    H0urg1ass[Deleted User]
  • laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591
    GPU's for CAD are pretty pricey.  If this GPU would work just as well for CAD as an equivalently priced GPU and have the added bonus of good gaming support it's something that I would be interested in.

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• H0urg1assH0urg1ass Member EpicPosts: 2,380
    Yeah... no.

They've really jumped the shark with this one.
    [Deleted User]Gorwe
  • QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,347
    edited December 2018
    Cleffy said:
    I would dismiss it for a simple reason. nVidia is terrible at supporting these products. The expense is so high that barely anyone owns one. The use is so limited that the market isn't in gaming. Right now we are spoiled with monthly+ driver updates. Imagine owning a Titan V with a yearly driver update. At least with a Vega Frontier Edition you can load 3 drivers including the monthly updated gaming drivers. On this you would be limited drivers built just for this device.
    The Vega Frontier Edition is the same GPU as the Vega 64, so it can readily use nearly the same drivers.  I realize that it nominally uses exactly the same drivers, but my point is that AMD didn't have to tweak much to enable that.

The Titan RTX is the same GPU as the GeForce RTX 2080 Ti, so it should also be able to use nearly the same drivers.  The Titan V doesn't share a GPU or even an architecture with any GeForce cards, so gaming drivers probably aren't a priority for it.
  • RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383
    Put me down for two.
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,739
    Hmmm they havent jumped to the video card for phones market?
  • XiaokiXiaoki Member EpicPosts: 3,823
    Should look at the Quadro series.

$14,000 for one video card.

Why do people think that every GPU is for general video game use? nVidia does make video cards for rendering and 3D artists.
  • RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383
    Xiaoki said:
    Should look at the Quadro series.

$14,000 for one video card.

Why do people think that every GPU is for general video game use? nVidia does make video cards for rendering and 3D artists.
    You bring up a good point:

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/titan/titan-rtx/

At at least on the front, there is no mention of gaming at all.

However...

RTX (and GTX still) is the branding they are using for new gaming lineup. Quadro is the branding they use for professional creation cards. 

Titan branding has historically straddled the two.

So I can understand the confusion.

mmolou