Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

After Saga of Lucimia 'Friends & Family' Event, New Sizzle Reel Arrives - MMORPG.com

2»

Comments

• RS-ManRS-Man Member UncommonPosts: 57
    You guys should check Project Gorgon and take some ideas from it as well, The game is a success right now and lots of good reviews.

Gifting system, double class, lots of crafting type and systems, music playing and dancing for socializing, so many activities.
    This game looks good and hopefully it will have a robust crafting system that impacts the game as well.
    ThupliRenfail

=/= Better be defeated for a triumph than not to triumph by fear of failure! =\=

AsRock x370 Taichi AM4 Promontory
    AMD Ryzen 5 1600X @ 3.9Ghz 1.33v
    CoolerMaster MasterLiquid Lite 120 - Temps: ~28-32 idle ~45-60 load
    G.Skill Ripjaws 16Gb DDR4 @ 3200Mhz
    MSI GamingX GTX 1070
    CoolerMaster 850Watts PowerSupply

• RenfailRenfail Member EpicPosts: 1,638
    edited November 2018

To those commenting on the fog: 

I take it none of you have ever lived in the mountains :) 

I spent more than a decade living in the Rockies of Colorado, and the fog we have represented in our game at present is *very* light. 

Long-term, we're focusing on realism in our world. The fog you see in its current iteration is a first-pass "light" fog. You can expect it to get much heavier (or lighter) depending on the weather in-game. 

For heavier fog (spring/fall mornings in mountaneous areas, boggy areas, coastal areas, etc. with plenty of moisture and humidity), you can expect visibility to drop to a couple of meters at most (when fog is present; it will not be present at all times as it is weather/season dependent). 

We do not anticipate this being something players can turn off at this point in time, though we may change our mind on that if it becomes performance-inhibiting (it is not, to-date, causing performance issues).
    Thupli
    Tim "Renfail" Anderson | Wandering Hermits Patreon
    RS-Man said:
    You guys should check Project Gorgon and take some ideas from it as well, The game is a success right now and lots of good reviews.

Gifting system, double class, lots of crafting type and systems, music playing and dancing for socializing, so many activities.
    This game looks good and hopefully it will have a robust crafting system that impacts the game as well.
    Gorgon is one of many games we keep an eye on to see how others are developing their titles. 

Meanwhile, you can look at this past Monday's episode of Mondays in MMORPGs to see our take on crafting (a mix between Star Wars Galaxies and Vanguard: Saga of Heroes) : https://sagaoflucimia.com/mondays-in-mmorpgs-crafting
  • ThupliThupli Member RarePosts: 1,318

bcbully said:

Thupli said:

First footage I have watched of this game. I like it!

Thupli said:

Did you notice you saw nothing in the way of combat?

By the comments like yours I thought I’d see how far they’ve come from their test earlier this year which featured the worst desynced combat the genre has seen.

Mind sharing a vid with some type of player/npc interaction?

I just kept watch the next suggested streams in youtube. There are a lot that show combat. Specifically, there was a grizzly bear one that was pretty sweet! This wasnt a wow bear, that's for sure!
    Renfail
    edited December 2018
    Thupli said:

bcbully said:

Thupli said:

Thupli said:

By the comments like yours I thought I’d see how far they’ve come from their test earlier this year which featured the worst desynced combat the genre has seen.

I just kept watch the next suggested streams in youtube. There are a lot that show combat. Specifically, there was a grizzly bear one that was pretty sweet! This wasnt a wow bear, that's for sure!
    The video linked here in the OP also has two segments showing combat. So he was incorrect in that it showed "nothing in the way of combat". 

That being said, combat pacing, balance, animations, our full list of abilities, all are a *long* way from being finalized or polished, and judging a pre-alpha product is an act of futility. 

Our videos are put out as a means of documenting our progress. We aren't Anthem, showing off videos to market the release of our product in a few short months. We are a group of gamers who set out to build a game, and are documenting our progress along the way. Warts and all. 

Which is why we always love showing off videos from a year, two, or even three years ago and comparing them against now to showcase the changes. 

Combat in Release 11 is a *lot* different than combat in Release 10 or previous, because we've done our first balance pass. That means checking hitpoints of mobs, damage of mobs, delay of attacks on mobs, abilities of mobs, and etc.

Balance pass does not = new animations, new abilities, new character nodels, polish, etc. 

We're a long way from working on combat animations, adding the rest of the abilities to the game (we've got a couple of dozen, max, presently, compared to the 150+ for launch), fleshing out mob and NPC animations + abilities, and all of the things that come with adding polish to a game. 

Pre-alpha = we're still adding foundation layers to the game. Anyone comparing it to currently released products = wasting their time, because we're nowhere near a polished state like (most) released games are.

And yes... anyone who thinks bears should be easy, hasn't ever watched the scene in The Revenant where he gets mauled by a grizzly while trying to take it out with primitive weapons :) 
    Post edited by Renfail on
    Thupli
  • LokeroLokero Member RarePosts: 1,514
    Renfail said:

And yes... anyone who thinks bears should be easy, hasn't ever watched the scene in The Revenant where he gets mauled by a grizzly while trying to take it out with primitive weapons :) 
    Mm, man, I hate the way they do real-world animals in games --  lone wolves wandering around charging at you constantly; slicing through bears like a wheat field; punching tigers to death, and so on.

I remember the first time I fought a bear in Farcry Primal.  That was more like it.

Don't even get me started on how weird it is to have pack-minded animals like wolves and lions wandering around solo everywhere.  Besides that, they typically just avoid humans altogether.  You'd think they attacked every person who set foot outside, if you knew them only from games/movies.

I hope you guys remember that some creatures roam in packs ;)

P.S. The Revenant was a way overrated movie :tongue:
    jimmywolf
  • ThupliThupli Member RarePosts: 1,318

Renfail said:

Thupli said:

bcbully said:

Thupli said:

Thupli said:

Yeah, you guys were fighting a bandit then out roll a couple of explitives, and out of the line of vision comes this 3x the character size grizzly bear! Definately bears done right!
    Thupli said:

Yeah, you guys were fighting a bandit then out roll a couple of explitives, and out of the line of vision comes this 3x the character size grizzly bear! Definately bears done right!
    Work in progress, but yeah I remember that encounter :) Scared the crap out of everyone as we were so focused on the fight at hand, and bears can wreck your entire party if you aren't ready for them!
    Lokero
  • LokeroLokero Member RarePosts: 1,514
    edited December 2018
    Renfail said:
    Thupli said:

Work in progress, but yeah I remember that encounter :) Scared the crap out of everyone as we were so focused on the fight at hand, and bears can wreck your entire party if you aren't ready for them!
    I can't even imagine how terrifying it must have been, in the early days of North American colonization, when they first discovered the hospitality of grizzlies.  I imagine it wasn't all that different from The Revenant, really.
    Running into the pissed-off face of a grizzly would have been like a scene straight out of hell.

Grizzly bears dominated North America at one time and were all over the place, back before they got hunted down and out like dragons.
    Bears literally don't exist in my part of the U.S.  They just don't live here(probably due to all the rednecks running around in the woods with guns), or in very many parts of the U.S. anymore(grizzlies at least).
    I imagine those encounters happened way more often than the settlers would have liked :lol:

I'm of the view that players should be afraid of large bears the way people in Africa are terrified of Hippopotamus.  So, I love your approach there :love:
    Thupli
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,981
    "the hospitality of grizzlies" A phrase to take away from this thread. :)
    ConstantineMerusRenfailLokeroThupli
  • tweedledumb99tweedledumb99 Member UncommonPosts: 290
    edited December 2018
    @Renfail - for what its worth, my thought (take w grain of salt cause im more of a RvR than PvE player): The longer world space distances, vertical tree covered slopes really add to the atmosphere in my eyes. Seeing that big tree covered hill made me go, oh, wow, this is a real forest, whereas seeing the fight up against what looked like an unscalable zone wall kind of took me out of that awe/immersion.

The less that the game feels like a series of troughs that hold mobs to fight, and more like terrain I find myself in cause of who I play as/where I decide to adventure, the happier I am.

Again, though, thats just me and I am not likely your prime audience.

Game looks atmospheric in a great way, keep it up! Edit: obvioualy zone walls cant be avoided, but the farther apart and fewer, the more enjoyable for a player like me.
    Lokero