Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fallout 76 Review - Our Verdict on Bethesda's Wasteland Extravaganza - Fallout 76 Review

Comments

• AstraeisAstraeis Member UncommonPosts: 378

Avarix said:

Reviews are to inform consumers about potential purchases. It should be done with the majority of your viewers in mind. Not the small percent that could enjoy watching paint dry. Personally, I'm tired of reading extended ads instead of actual reviews on gaming sites. 

How is this review NOT informative? It doesn't conform to people who dislike the game's opinion, and that's not the same thing. What you're looking for is for reviewers to be echo chambers of your own personal thoughts. That's NOT what the idea should be. A critic's role isn't to meet your expectations, but to share with you whether a product met their own.

He did not say he expected a critic to meet his personal expectation.

It takes one to know one.

• AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,836
    Astraeis said:

Cygi said:

7/10 as an "average"?

5/10 is an "average".

(1 + 10) /2 = 5.5 This means 5 is below average.
    You're ignoring the distinct possibility for a game like Big Rigs to represent a 0.
  • cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,100
    OG_Zorvan said:
    Aeander said:
    Astraeis said:

Cygi said:

7/10 as an "average"?

5/10 is an "average".

You're ignoring the distinct possibility for a game like Big Rigs to represent a 0.
    Obviously, Big Rigs was just suffering from growing pains and we never gave it a chance.
    https://www.gamespot.com/reviews/big-rigs-over-the-road-racing-review/1900-6086528/

Yikes Big Rigs actually got a 1 from Gamespot. My god the game must have been really bad. But why review such a bad game I wonder.
    Chamber of Chains
    cheyane said:
    OG_Zorvan said:
    Aeander said:
    Astraeis said:

Cygi said:

7/10 as an "average"?

5/10 is an "average".

Obviously, Big Rigs was just suffering from growing pains and we never gave it a chance.
    https://www.gamespot.com/reviews/big-rigs-over-the-road-racing-review/1900-6086528/

Yikes Big Rigs actually got a 1 from Gamespot. My god the game must have been really bad. But why review such a bad game I wonder.
    Because by reviewing the worst, you establish context for everything else.
  • MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    edited December 2018
    OG_Zorvan said:
    I have to say, taken just as entertainment (though he makes good points too, such as how this Vault is magically the only Vault in the IP universe where Vault-Tec was earnestly interested in the dwellers' well-being, including the assigned Overseer), Yahtzee is one of the most fun YouTubers to watch.  The jokes and dry humor come fast and furious, and he's impeccably clear in his enunciation which makes them all distinct enough to catch despite how quickly they come.
    [Deleted User]lahnmirTacticalZombeh

OG_Zorvan said:
    cheyane said:
    OG_Zorvan said:
    Aeander said:
    Astraeis said:

Cygi said:

7/10 as an "average"?

5/10 is an "average".

It was the closest any developer ever got to delivering a flaming bag of shit on their customers doorsteps.
    I think there is worse. Custer's Revenge, half of the shit from Steam Greenlight, etc.
    [Deleted User]
  • timeraidertimeraider Member UncommonPosts: 865
    7... are you sure this isnt a paid promotion?
    LeFantome
    Ashes of Creation Referral link - Help me to help you!
    https://ashesofcreation.com/r/Y4U3PQCASUPJ5SED
  • someforumguysomeforumguy Member RarePosts: 4,088
    Fallout 76 is definately not ' Fallout with friends' . Fallout with friends would mean adding multiplayer to FO 4.
    It does not mean gutting the story, characters and take all npc's out of the game and then add multiplayer. Because that just makes it an overpriced shell of FO4. Sure it has multiplayer added, but for what exactly?

- The survival aspect is almost non existant.
    - There is not much point for co op, because everything can be solo'd quite easily.
    - PVP is moot because there are no useful rewards and the system works so awkwardly that most even don't even bother with it. You probably won't even have room in your inventory for the pathetic scrap ' reward' you loot.

Then for solo it offers nothing that FO 4 does not do better. Especially considering actual story, the huge amount of available mods and the much lower price.

FO 76 is a joke, simply because FO 4 already exists and can be compared to it. There are no graphical improvements, no bugs fixed, a lot less content, gutted crafting, same character creation and just as bugged building.

I can't believe how many gaming journalists fall for this ridiculous marketing scheme of a game. It is very obviously a rushed asset flip and barely worked on. Tod Howard is selling snake oil.
  • FacelessSaviorFacelessSavior Member UncommonPosts: 188
    edited December 2018

Aeander said:

Avarix said:

Avarix said:

Reviews are to inform consumers about potential purchases. It should be done with the majority of your viewers in mind. Not the small percent that could enjoy watching paint dry. Personally, I'm tired of reading extended ads instead of actual reviews on gaming sites. 
    How is this review NOT informative? It doesn't conform to people who dislike the game's opinion, and that's not the same thing. What you're looking for is for reviewers to be echo chambers of your own personal thoughts. That's NOT what the idea should be. A critic's role isn't to meet your expectations, but to share with you whether a product met their own. 

It's not informative because instead of reading about the core aspects of the game like graphics, sound/music, performance, controls, responsiveness, UI, server stability, and bugs I got a story about adolescence.

Having read it, I can say with full confidence that this would be a bad, uninformative review even without a score.

"Here's a metaphor about growing pains. Here's a few stories that you can experience in Fallout 76. And there's a few bugs, but enough of that, let's get back to the metaphor. Everything is okay because Fallout 76 is just a kid."

You may be up for the most contrived Pullitzer nomination in human history, but you utterly failed in writing a review. No discussion of the core gunplay. No discussion of the core gameplay loop. No discussion of how PvP works. No mention of how events work or how monsters scale. Or progression. Or the resource economy. Or the value for money prospect. 

Even if the score were reasonably in line with expectations, this would still be unacceptable. A competent review can adequately inform a customer of the experience they can expect. This does not. 

^^^^
    This.

It's not informative because the review focused on an apologetic puberty story, and barely bothered to even gloss over any actual information about the game. Basically what I could glean from this review, is that its a Multiplayer Fallout game, there is a main questline, some people are experiencing bugs we shouldn't worry about, and . . . Puberty.

Even if the review wanted to keep things positive, and completely disregarding any scoring, where is the meat and potatoes? It looks like we got offered a plate of parsley. There's nothing of substance here I couldn't have gotten from reading the top few lines of a simple Fallout 76 google search.
  • simsalabim77simsalabim77 Member RarePosts: 1,607
    Game is a dumpster fire.
    NildenFacelessSavior
  • someforumguysomeforumguy Member RarePosts: 4,088
    What annoys me the most about multiplayer game reviews is when someone contributes 'having fun with my friends' to their review of the game.
    So, basically, people who can't see the difference between what a game has to offer and what their friends have to offer. Your banter and your friends don't come with the box :p Otherwise it would mean that Whatsapp is a great multiplayer game.

Then in the case of FO 76 I notice a discrepancy between who have played FO4 and players who didn't. The FO4 players obviously notice a lot more about what news FO76 brings to the table, but more importantly what it takes away from FO4. But without having played FO4, you miss an important reference and will not be able properly judge how FO76 fits in the franchise. FO76 can't be reviewed wthout comparing it to what FO4 has to offer. This is also why you can't get away with calling FO76 ' a kid' with FO4 out there for a much cheaper price.  FO76 should be reviewed as a grown up version of FO4. There should be improvements and way less bugs. Not just an asset flip with gutted core and the same bugs as in FO4.
  • trancefatetrancefate Member UncommonPosts: 146
    edited December 2018
    I'm on to your tricks. Hire writers like this so that Suzie Fords articles finally look good in comparison?
    Really though, a 7? I know these things are subjective. If you are an absolute fanboi willing to ignore all the red flags in good faith you still couldn't POSSIBLY give this game anything better than 5. I feel like there is no way an unbiased site could give this game any kind of score like this. Hell, IGN only gave it a 5/10 and we all know they are willing to take money for review scores so...
    FacelessSavior
  • krulerkruler Member UncommonPosts: 589
    The review reads like pure drivel, doing it from the perspective of growing pains, for a first or second time publisher yes, from Bethesda you have got to be bloody kidding. 

And the score, WTH, seriously its a mess, not a few dirty plates and 1/2 read newspaper on the kitchen table mess, no a herd of cows with food poisoning charged through your house on the way from a very muddy river kind of mess.

I have used better Alpha builds than FO 76, and I kept at it till lvl 67 thinking they will patch soon, but whatever those patches were they were just as shithouse and achieved next to nothing.
    FacelessSavior

• TacticalZombehTacticalZombeh Member UncommonPosts: 430
    I thought about it a while, and determined that the analogy isn't quite right.
    What would be more correct is if the child grew up, through adolescence under doting parents. The child was their precious baby who could do no wrong. Every mistake or temper-tantrum viewed with smiling tolerance and excuses.
    Then the child grew up, well into adulthood, living with mom and dad well into the 30's.
    Finally they decided to strike out on their own... and met the harsh reality of the world, failing to grasp why no one thought they were special when mom and dad weren't holding their hand any more.

Or something like that... I'm tired.
    [Deleted User]newbismx
  • nomadienomadie Member UncommonPosts: 172
    edited December 2018
    Is this an out of season April fools? Or is it a 7 out of 100? Because that would make sense. This game is insanely buggy! It feels like an Alpha. If you give this game a high score the only thing I can think of is they paid you a ton of money to lie.
    It uses the same buggy engine from 4. We're talking dudes getting stuck in walls, camps just vanish, AI just stops working at times, AI will slide around the map, AI falls through the map, AI get stuck inside random objects like a couch... Unless you are a major fanboy of unfinished broken games there is no way it's even a 2. I got this game for free and I want my money back. You also have quests that randomly stop working. You got no npcs making the game feel very dull. The graphic engine is insanely outdated and makes the graphics look like something a PS3 would have. The game is okay when it actually works. It's pretty much just a crafting sim with some badly made shooting. They could spend the next year "fixing" issues with this game and it will still be another year before it's ready to launch. We're talking about a company that took a year to fix major game breaking issues in Skyrim, Oblivion, 3, New Vegas, and 4! They also made another shooting game called Brink hat people forgot about because it was so badly made they lost 90% of their player base in less than a month! This game never got any real testing and was plagued with so many bugs it made the game unplayable. They later made the game free to play with "fixes" which they didn't actually do anything but made it free and it died.
    FacelessSavior
  • killjoy1981killjoy1981 Member CommonPosts: 1
    Hahahaha last time I look at you guys for a review,in no way is this a 7 your blind
    mmolouFacelessSavior
  • lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    Hahahaha last time I look at you guys for a review,in no way is this a 7 your blind
    According to your profile its your first visit so this really doesn’t mean anything....

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    MadFrenchiemaskedweasel
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited December 2018
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • d_20d_20 Member RarePosts: 1,878
    edited December 2018

Riannes said:

It is fun. That ginger Fatman in AngryJoe extended discussion played to almost lv200 theres got to be some upside. ...

All Delrith (the guy) does is play games (especially pvp). It's what he was put on this planet to do. Leveling to 200 is like nothing to him. Leveling up for him is like Michael Jordan making hitting jump shots back in the day.

• Proudsoul1Proudsoul1 Member UncommonPosts: 72
    LOL a 7 ?? Wow you shilled out BIGTIME!! Were you invited to WV and get all the free goodies? Im sure you have to say a 7 since you want to be invited to the next Shill meeting but really? this is a dumpster fire of a game.. they took fallout 4 added co-op and added the same bugs back to the game!

You are giving them a pass and its a shame because you know after a few hours the magic of playing with your friends wears off and all you have is a dead world with no NPCS no real story and not to mention they took the MAIN part out of the game ..you know the dialog.

3/10 at best ...

• RawizRawiz Member UncommonPosts: 584
    The game is buggy as shit - I hope the patch on the 4th helps with that.

I'm lvl 57 now and have been doing the "main questline". With how Bethesda is so lazy with inventory and item names, I actually tossed away the best power armor in the game given from a questline. "Received reward: xxx, Power Armor Chassis, xxx" etc. Lo and behold - that Chassis had full power armor in it - no way to know for me by just looking at it.

These kind of problems were usually fixed by mods, but it's not possible now. I doubt Bethesda actually fixes these things themselves as their track record is abysmal AT BEST on that.

Overall, game has it's share of bugs and shitty stuff, but I've enjoyed it none the less. It is still a Fallout game. Perhaps because I paid nothing for it.

• AdyxAdyx Member UncommonPosts: 1
    7? Did you play the game? This game does not deserve to be in the same class as other releases this year. This game is a 3 at best and that's a struggle. Graphics are outdated, bugs and glitches are everywhere, no option for a single-player mode or to prevent damage from other players griefing you. Make a MMORPG or make a single-player RPG. A mashup of the two does not work in this case. I paid $60 for this game, went home, and played it for 10-12 hours then took it out and took it back to the game store and traded it. I wanted my $60 back, but at least I got some money back for this sorry piece of crap they called a game. It would probably be a hit in the late 90's. HELLO! It's almost 2020.
  • M.D.33M.D.33 Member UncommonPosts: 47
    edited December 2018
    Is this review an early april fools joke! ;)
    M.D.33 said:
    Is this review an early april fools joke! ;)
    No. It's a late one.
  • PhaserlightPhaserlight Member EpicPosts: 3,072

AngryJoe is not so kind:

Angry Joe is a Flamboyant Thespian douchebag, that shills for the highest bidder.

The score was fair. Video games like everything else these days are partisan, and if you don't agree with the group think, your are evil and must be destroyed.

Personally my opinions are my own, and let me give a big crap covered middle finger to anyone that has an issue with that.
    "Thespian"?

...is that meant to be a insult?  If so, it's a weird one.

"The simple is the seal of the true and beauty is the splendor of truth" -Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar
    Authored 139 missions in Vendetta Online and 6 tracks in Distance