Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Officially The Greatest YEAR Ever For SC Crowdfunding

BabuinixBabuinix Member EpicPosts: 4,265
edited February 2019 in Star Citizen
With the release of it's latest updates Star Citizen killed 2 birds with one stone by improving optimization and adding new content.

Allowing it's players to double and even in some cases triple their FPS along with landing on Hurston, a massive earth-like planet  with different biomes a MegaCity and most importantly, breathable atmosphere. Players are finally able remove their space suit and run wild in the landscape, ranging from mountains, flourishing savannas, deserts, massive scrapyards, lakes and islands all in with time day/night cycle with sunsets/rises that take your breath away.

Adding to the updates came also the Anniversary Sale along with the Free-Flight-Week Event, bringing with it thousands of new players and ofc money, lots and lots of money!

In fact it brought so much that this month became the best month ever for CIG in all it's crowdfunding campaign topping the previous best month, Nov 2013!

​Nov 2018 (as of 3PM PST) = $7,889,279 » « Nov 2013 = $7,871,634

Congratulations Citizens and welcome new recruits :D

Post edited by Babuinix on
ErillionViper482WalkinGlenn

Comments

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    edited December 2018
    Awesome, there really appears to be no end in sight, either to the amount of crowd funding these titles can raise or an actual release date.

Will be interesting to see where things stand in December 2019.

:D 
    Post edited by Kyleran on
    Robsolfbartoni33MensurAgent_JosephAlmostLancelotScotviddsterAmathe

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• RobsolfRobsolf Member RarePosts: 4,607
    Just goes to show... if Microsoft Flight Simulator allowed you to walk out of the cockpit and run around O'hare, and keep running north through Des Plaines up to Wisconsin, no one would want to do anything else.
    SBFordChildoftheShadowsKellerMensur[Deleted User]
  • AethaerynAethaeryn Member RarePosts: 3,149
    edited December 2018
    I almost had a heart attack. . I went to the web page to reset my password. . I saw 

"Squadron 42. . start the adventure" and nearly fell out of my seat.. . I clicked and it said "you will" and "pledge now".   Thought I would have heard something here first.

I suppose they have more to show now and the game gets a LOT of attention.  Good for them I guess.  I always hear about these updates and want to try it out. . download overnight and then don't bother :)

EDIT:  Okay I waited.

I left the hanger in my ship. . almost immediately left the "safe zone" and was almost instantly shredded by someone . . shields gone instantly and lasted about 2 seconds.

I tried again. . same thing.  .this time I was able to maneuver a little more and hit them a few times but still. . their guns where like a knife through warm butter.. . 

I get that I can get a better ship with in game currency but that will be pretty hard to make when I can't even leave the starting area.  At least for initial start up I don't see how these ships being purchased for real money aren't pay to win.  Maybe I am missing something.

Sure. .I can get that same ship. . later.. . I am guessing it was the same guy?    My ship fires about once every 2 seconds. . his was like a gatling gun.  . . well 3 gatling guns.

The frame rate was great though.
    Post edited by Aethaeryn on
    kitaradd_20

Wa min God! Se æx on min heafod is!

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Able to double their frame rates on that incredibly detailed planet ...umm yeah,just sayn.
    EMPTY planets,this is what every video shows,VERY little work,nothing has changed this is a cash shop in space selling virtual models to people addicted to collecting them.
    DarkpigeonRhimeOdeezee

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

At 2-ish minutes... crazy head/helmet stuff going on.

At 7-ish minutes, the pilot closes the bay door from a breathable atmosphere, instantly starts suffocating on their ship until they put their helmet back on. 

"Gameplay" at last!  :P

7:40  (supplemental) This planet is ridden with pollen.  That's bad enough.  But apparently it's pollen that tears through the cockpit, and is almost blizzard-like.  A day on this planet and peeps lungs would be like giant Q-tip ends.

I'm not going to continue with this...

If this was an alpha engine demonstration, worked on for 1-3 years starting in 2012, I'd probably be impressed.  Honestly.

But it's not.  It's a game.  A game many many people have already paid for.  6 years ago.
    bwwianakievDerpangedRhimeOdeezee
  • VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888
    Robsolf said:

7:40  (supplemental) This planet is ridden with pollen.  That's bad enough.  But apparently it's pollen that tears through the cockpit, and is almost blizzard-like.  A day on this planet and peeps lungs would be like giant Q-tip ends.
    Your respiratory system can clean itself of the pollen you breathe.

Pollen is really bad for people who've got allergies, asthma, or other breathing problems. But it's not like pollution that would stick to the lungs.

• ErillionErillion Member EpicPosts: 10,297
    edited December 2018
    Aethaeryn said:
    * snip *

I left the hanger in my ship. . almost immediately left the "safe zone" and was almost instantly shredded by someone . . shields gone instantly and lasted about 2 seconds.

I tried again. . same thing.  .this time I was able to maneuver a little more and hit them a few times but still. . their guns where like a knife through warm butter.. . 

I get that I can get a better ship with in game currency but that will be pretty hard to make when I can't even leave the starting area.  At least for initial start up I don't see how these ships being purchased for real money aren't pay to win.  Maybe I am missing something.

** snip **
    I suggest you stay in the safe zone. It's not small. Choose a destination. Spool up your quantum drive. Fly there. Repeat. Then the spawn zone camping troll cannot bother you. You can tell others in chat about the troll - often a multi pilot hit squad will clean him out in a missile Alpha Strike.

Have fun
    Octagon7711MisatoTremor
    edited December 2018
    Robsolf said:

At 7-ish minutes, the pilot closes the bay door from a breathable atmosphere, instantly starts suffocating on their ship until they put their helmet back on. 

If this was an alpha engine demonstration, worked on for 1-3 years starting in 2012, I'd probably be impressed.  Honestly.

But it's not.  It's a game.  A game many many people have already paid for.  6 years ago.
    If you found something you consider a bug - GREAT. Write a player tester  bug report. Will be patched out in time, like thousands of other bugs before it. That is why it's called Alpha testing. Welcome to our playtester backer group. Any bug we find won't be in the final game.  

Have fun
    DarkpigeonMisatoTremorOdeezee
    Wizardry said:
    Able to double their frame rates on that incredibly detailed planet ...umm yeah,just sayn.
    EMPTY planets,this is what every video shows,VERY little work,nothing has changed this is a cash shop in space selling virtual models to people addicted to collecting them.
    Not empty. You have to find things. Wrecks. Settlements. Drug Labs. This is not a game that takes you by the hand and a red line guides you to the interesting places. You have to explore to find them. 

Have fun
    DarkpigeonMisatoTremor
    Vrika said:
    Robsolf said:

Pollen is really bad for people who've got allergies, asthma, or other breathing problems. But it's not like pollution that would stick to the lungs.
    You missed the point.  Not surprising.
    Derpanged
  • Solar_ProphetSolar_Prophet Member EpicPosts: 1,960
    edited December 2018
    6 years and $200 million, to do things you could do in No Man's Sky 2.5 years ago. Granted, those things weren't actually worth doing back then, but its come a long way. 

Robsolf said:
    Vrika said:
    Robsolf said:

Oh, come on. Everybody knows pollen can phase through solid matter. Learned that in second grade, at an American public school no less!
    DarkpigeonKyleranRobsolfOdeezee

AN' DERE AIN'T NO SUCH FING AS ENUFF DAKKA, YA GROT! Enuff'z more than ya got an' less than too much an' there ain't no such fing as too much dakka. Say dere is, and me Squiggoff'z eatin' tonight!

We are born of the blood. Made men by the blood. Undone by the blood. Our eyes are yet to open. FEAR THE OLD BLOOD. 

#IStandWithVic

• BabuinixBabuinix Member EpicPosts: 4,265
    edited December 2018
    Robsolf said:

The point on that video was a quick way to showcase the quality of detail and lightning of the planet. It's also important to note that the game is in alpha stage of heavy development and not a fully finished and polished experience so anyone thinking of buying in should first adjust their expectations accordingly.

If my intent was to "flex" and showcase some of the things it already provides decently I would post something like the scale of the planet and ships:

The group play:

The questing:

The trading:

The mining:

The Racing:

The FPS:

As for the NMS comparisons...well let's just say they showcase that people have no clue about both games.
    Post edited by Babuinix on
    DarkpigeonMisatoTremorErillion
  • PhaserlightPhaserlight Member EpicPosts: 3,072
    Erillion said:
    Robsolf said:

If you found something you consider a bug - GREAT. Write a player tester  bug report. Will be patched out in time, like thousands of other bugs before it. That is why it's called Alpha testing. Welcome to our playtester backer group. Any bug we find won't be in the final game.  

Have fun
    Just thought I'd point out that Alpha usually means it's being tested internally by paid testers, not the other way around. If it's a public Alpha at the very least it would normally be free (not for a weekend here and there).

Calling it "Alpha" is not an excuse for selling a buggy product. You would know I've been around long enough to hear all of the apologists' rationales.

It's also funny that the most newsworthy item regarding Star Citizen is how much money they've raised. 
    BabuinixmmolouKefonatpickSlyLoKOdeezee

"The simple is the seal of the true and beauty is the splendor of truth" -Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar
    Authored 139 missions in Vendetta Online and 6 tracks in Distance

• PhaserlightPhaserlight Member EpicPosts: 3,072
    Robsolf said:
    Just goes to show... if Microsoft Flight Simulator allowed you to walk out of the cockpit and run around O'hare, and keep running north through Des Plaines up to Wisconsin, no one would want to do anything else.
    I agree.

Star Citizen is not that game, however; they made a huge city with jaw dropping visuals, then cut most of it off from the players ever going there.

You can view it out the window of a train though, because who doesn't like riding public transportation?
    KyleranOdeezee

"The simple is the seal of the true and beauty is the splendor of truth" -Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar
    Authored 139 missions in Vendetta Online and 6 tracks in Distance

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751
    Kyleran said:
    Awesome, there really appears to be no end in sight, either to the amount of crowd funding these titles can raise or an actual release date.

How is it that games with just a couple of devs like Project Gorgon are further ahead than a game that has like 500 devs working on it? Something just isn't right with this game.
    BabuinixDerpangedOdeezee
  • Viper482Viper482 Member LegendaryPosts: 4,064
    Congratulations Pockets and welcome new suckers.

Fixed it for you.
    kikoodutroa8
    Make MMORPG's Great Again!
  • VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888
    Robsolf said:
    Vrika said:
    Robsolf said:

I got your point. I chose to not comment on it because your dedication to looking up and listing small graphical glitches made your opinion worthless.
    mmolou

• gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    <snip>
    Just thought I'd point out that Alpha usually means it's being tested internally by paid testers, not the other way around. If it's a public Alpha at the very least it would normally be free (not for a weekend here and there).
    <snip>
    Don't mistake the free fly period for anything other than what is is: a showcase of what currently exists in the hope that it will generate funding / sales.

Non-backers are not expected to test the game durng "free fly" periods.  

Nor are backers who have access to the alpha all the time expected to test the game. The alpha exists because crowdfunding games - not just SC - get hammered with comments like: "there is no game", "show me the coding", "the money has bought an island in the Carribean" and so on.

Internal builds are tested - internally. There is also a pre-alpha build (Evocatti) which some volunteer testers play and raise bug reports.

And whilst the testing will help if there were no volunteer testers things would continue without them. Crowdfunders want to know what is going on though and if some people are prepared to test then why shouldn't they make use of it.

The bottomline though is that crowdfunded games have no choice but to create an alpha asap - even though it means extra work and extra cost. That is the way it is.
    PhaserlightBabuinixErillionOdeezee
  • gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    Kyleran said:

How is it that games with just a couple of devs like Project Gorgon are further ahead than a game that has like 500 devs working on it? Something just isn't right with this game.
    Are they?
  • DrunkWolfDrunkWolf Member RarePosts: 1,701
    so when does it come out?
    ceratop001
  • lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    DrunkWolf said:
    One does not simply release Star Citizen.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    PhaserlightKylerancmacqConstantineMerusesc-joconnorArglebargleSorillNildenAmathe
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

edited December 2018
    lahnmir said:
    DrunkWolf said:
    One does not simply release Star Citizen.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    If one can make near $8M in free money in a single month one doesn't need to consider ever releasing.

OdeezeeAmathe

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

Will give some credit where it is due and game is starting to resemble something that will be worth playing in another 2 - 3 years.

That being said I still do not see where 200 million has disappeared too.  This is just crowd funding and not including loans and other investors to my understanding.  Nothing produced so far seems like it should have taken that kind of money.
    Are you accounting for the fact that building and maitaining 5 studios across the globe is costly plus the fact that they are building not only a mmorpg game but also a single-player campaign with Squadron 42?

I Mean does this look like a "low budget game" trailer?

Odeezee
    Will give some credit where it is due and game is starting to resemble something that will be worth playing in another 2 - 3 years.

That being said I still do not see where 200 million has disappeared too.  This is just crowd funding and not including loans and other investors to my understanding.  Nothing produced so far seems like it should have taken that kind of money.
    They have raised $200M, does not mean they have spent the same.

No telling what the burn rate has been without published financials.

d_20SlyLoK

Why in the world does it matter how much a trailer cost to make.  If they are spending excess money on that then people need to quit buying 1000 dollar ships.

I also do not see what 5 studios are doing either if you want to put it in that context.  Game should be done for the money and people they are throwing at it.  Instead they are releasing a minimum viable product sometime in the future......

This is a game for entertainment and not a real life simulator.
    Sorry but I think the point flew right over you lol

The trailer is from another game that is being developed by the company , it's a single player campaign style game set in the same universe of Star Citizen, it will act as the introduction to the lore/game.

So you have a new company raised from nothing through crowdfunding making 2 games highly ambitious games who are pushing the marks of what is done in the industry by established and multi decade old companies.

You not "seeing what 5 studios are doing" is a fault of yours not an remark, there's plenty of their work showcased along the years, being ignorant about it doesn't nullifies it's existence lol

Read Dead Redemption 2 took about 8 years and involved around 1700 people to make, A single player game sequel that uses a lot of work from previous games from a established studio with deeper pockets than CIG lol

Cyberpunk, Beyond Good&Evil2, Starfield, Diablo4.... can you play them? Where's their alpha?

Being developed behind doors like most big production games, because most gamers ignore what difficulties making games entails and take anything said as gospel lol

Please if you have no clue about the subject refrain from spelling uninformed bull crap.
    ZenJellyDerpanged