Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Gamigo Reassures Rift Players that Development Will Continue - MMORPG.com

ShelassaShelassa MMORPG.COM Staff UncommonPosts: 616
edited December 2018 in News & Features Discussion

imageGamigo Reassures Rift Players that Development Will Continue - MMORPG.com

The Rift site has been updated with a brief note from the new Gamigo development team to reassure the community that the game will continue to see new development. While the team is currently much smaller than before, the plan is to "move forward with development" with the future hope to expand the team in the future.

Read the full story here

Comments

• AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    Gamigo: Lets keep telling them the same thing every month so we can keep them strung along: https://www.mmorpg.com/rift/news/new-rift-team-assures-players-that-there-is-work-being-done-1000050470
    Phry
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    edited December 2018
    Meanwhile it looks like at least some of the playerbase are seeking additional assurances that Rift isn't about to become history.

A post from their forum;

Not the Tidbitz I was expecting(pun intended),  but a few key things to note:

- Fae yule is being worked on. That's good news and something we already heard through the grapevine, but the question is will there be new items introduced with Fae Yule this year or will it just mainly be the same stuff as last year?

- One of the hopes early on is that there would be an opportunity to re-hire some of the people who were let go, especially key people in key roles that were essential to Rifts development being continued. I suppose it's a good thing that you guys are open to expanding the team in the future if things go well, but it seems counter productive to let go of those key people that had more experience with not only the game, but its systems than anyone currently still in house.

- On that note:
    Quote Originally Posted by Fasti View Post
    As many of you are aware, the RIFT development team has been reduced following the recent acquisition. Unfortunately, some familiar faces no longer work with us.
    We know a lot of people, especially familiar faces (Certainly all of the ones we knew on Rift) were let go, but it would be nice to get some confirmation of the people who were re-hired shortly after. You guys may not agree internally, but it would give a lot of people a lot more reassurance if they knew about any senior developers, especially any that worked on Rift in the past are still around and maybe currently working on it again now. As far we know (from our perspective), it's an unknown ghost team.
    [Deleted User]

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    This is a pointless statement for several reasons.
    We have heard this before and to what extent is the development?Besides they can say anything they want,there is no law stepping in to sue them and as long as they employed even 1 person they could say development continues.

Expand the team?Well they must have high hopes i guess,they must really figure their cash shop plans are going to hit it big.I guess after you lay almost everyone off,the term EXPAND could be a sort of deceptive term,so go from maybe 50 to 5 back to 10 is expanding lol.
    Albatroesbartoni33Phry

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

Wizardry said:
    This is a pointless statement for several reasons.
    We have heard this before and to what extent is the development?Besides they can say anything they want,there is no law stepping in to sue them and as long as they employed even 1 person they could say development continues.

Expand the team?Well they must have high hopes i guess,they must really figure their cash shop plans are going to hit it big.I guess after you lay almost everyone off,the term EXPAND could be a sort of deceptive term,so go from maybe 50 to 5 back to 10 is expanding lol.
    Yeah, its honestly sad to see such a game fall into this kind of state after a few years. Trion didn't really treat the game any better unfortunately. People would get season events but who can forget their 100$ mount loot box for a mount that was only valued at 10$ in their cash shop. The only thing they really "updated" in regards to Rift was Prime since it was easy money. The live game never saw any of this 'new development' for close to a year.
  • lucyluffy101lucyluffy101 Member UncommonPosts: 152
    Gamigo gonna kill the games for no reply in support ticket. If you think they going to continue develop Rift, I guess that's a lie. I hope any lawyer or rich player have time to watch a forums and can take a lawsuit of this greedy company.
    mmolou
  • exile01exile01 Member RarePosts: 1,089
    I liked rift, bought even a class xpack. But damn, let it die already.
    HarikenAllerleirauh
  • TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297
    Don't know what you guys are on about..

They did not buy it to just leave it for dust. They obviously want to do something with it.
    itchmon
    I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • PottedPlant22PottedPlant22 Member RarePosts: 800
    It's incredible how the game has evolved from its humble beginnings.  Whatever happens in the future, there's a lot for those that worked on it to be proud of themselves for what they accomplished.
    Octagon7711
  • ManestreamManestream Member UncommonPosts: 941
    When trion first started they were a decent company you could trust, then the game went F2P but still had a fair formula.
    Sadly along the way something happened and then turned to greed ( i have my therois that it was because a couple of purchase's did not go well for them) and defiance was ok but defiance 2050 was an utter cash grab and screw over the players making them have to repurchase everything from scratch once again that they already had in the first place. Then extra things like having to purchase your actual class (1st was free) other class types had to be bought and new ones were men't to come in at set intervals. When Defiance was scheduled to only be on life support BEFORE it got terminated and Defiance 2050 was a pure rip off money grab game i uninstalled it.

No wonder that version FLOPPED. For me trion had literally stopped caring about its playerbase/customers and were more into how to get as much coin from them as possible and as quickly as they could.

I bought 6 x 60day gametime cards for Rift (in a sale by 2 get 10% off), used half of them (6mths) then took a year off as i needed a break from the game and had been playing it for 2 straight yrs.
    I asked before taking a break and was told it was fine, I looked on the packaging and all over the case's and paper cards themselves and there was no mention of an expiry date or time.

Yup as you can guess when i returned a year later to try out the new legacy server i found that my gametime cards would not work. Went onto forums got in touch with support who requested the keycodes for them. They then replied that they had expired a year ago, that they had not been used but there was nothing i could do and they wouldn't do anything either. After complaining back and forth between them and systamatically being told they cannot and willnot do anything whatsoever i un-installed rift, classed trion as trion hard to screw its playerbase and actually replied that i hope they go under or get bought out. 

Once Rift and Defiance had gone there was no need to keep Glyph either. several months later and they get bought out. This was on the cards with the way they had started to treat their customers and supporters.

Am I sorry they collapsed NO am i sorry peeps lost their jobs NO am i hoping the new people taking over the games will make a go of it YES do i have my doubts about them YES since there a mobile game company you can bet your ass it will be micro-transactions galore and very hefty on it too.

Octagon7711Phry
    Don't know what you guys are on about..

They did not buy it to just leave it for dust. They obviously want to do something with it.
    They bought out all of Trion, not just individual things. Its like buying a game bundle and only wanting to play 1-2 of the 4+ you get simply because it was cheaper to buy vs buying them individually. All they are going to do is bleed as much as they can out of it and kill it off probably the same as Defiance. Trove and Archeage were Trion's main money makers. Keep in mind that Trion has Gazillion's assets too, so who knows, they might bring back marvel heroes.
    Octagon7711
    OG_Zorvan said:
    I seem to recall many games over the years that had  developers swearing the games "were going nowhere" right up until they closed them.
    That's pretty much what happened with Wildstar. Carbine was swearing last year that things were slow but being worked on, then NCSoft came out earlier this year saying that Wildstar would still be around for "years to come" yet it shut down this week. To be fair though, a company isn't going to come right out and say they are planning to kill the game sometime within a year followed by "but please continue to buy from the cash shop."
    Octagon7711
  • KellerKeller Member UncommonPosts: 602
    It depends on the tools and the engine. When not much is needed to push out new content, Rift will be fine. If it's not, then the higher-ups will have to calculate how much money has to be invested and how much revenu will come from that. 

Personally I don't believe Rift will see much new content, otherwise Trion would have done it themselves.
    edited December 2018
    Keller said:
    It depends on the tools and the engine. When not much is needed to push out new content, Rift will be fine. If it's not, then the higher-ups will have to calculate how much money has to be invested and how much revenu will come from that. 

Personally I don't believe Rift will see much new content, otherwise Trion would have done it themselves.
    That's the funny thing. Trion's last rift expansion was supposed to help make development for the game easier which was why a lot of content was not pushed out due to system overhauls (according to Trion at the time).

I'm a bit post happy about rift cause I invested a lot into the game in is earlier years when it first went f2p, so I'm still a bit pissed seeing how it ended up. Coupling company greed with the "Me, myself and I" mentality that most gamers have these days (which many have always had but companies didn't used to give in to) will rarely produce something "good" that isn't just a skin collector like WoW/FFXIV/ESO/GW2 and all the others just end up being.
  • cagancagan Member UncommonPosts: 445
    Remind me again people what happened to Warhammer online? And wildstar? prediction on rift? Then again i can be wrong, LOTRO is still around... one final LEGENDARY attempt to make some money on cash shop...
  • WarlyxWarlyx Member EpicPosts: 3,361
    oh they working on the xmas event that has been going for years....thats what the rift players needed to hear....
  • SeelinnikoiSeelinnikoi Member RarePosts: 1,360
    And their way of saying they are developing the game is firing all the games original devs.

Yeah.
    If you are a Star Wars fan, why not try the Star Wars The Old Republic?
    New players can get a welcome package and old/returning players can also get a welcome back package and 7 days free subscription time! Just click here to use my referral invitation
  • gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    Albatroes said:
    Gamigo: Lets keep telling them the same thing every month so we can keep them strung along: https://www.mmorpg.com/rift/news/new-rift-team-assures-players-that-there-is-work-being-done-1000050470
    Stringing them along for all of 3 weeks - when the last post was made. And this post does indicate that things have moved along.

Would you have been happier if Gamigo hadn't stepped in and Rift had closed. Which was clearly an option given what we learnt of Trion as a result of the filing.
  • gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    And their way of saying they are developing the game is firing all the games original devs.

Yeah.
    We don't know who was kept on. And if expansions are anything to go by Rift hadn't been a big thing at Trion for some time - the last expansion being over 4 years ago. 

Its still running. Focus on the positive. 
  • WarlyxWarlyx Member EpicPosts: 3,361

gervaise1 said:

Yeah.

We don't know who was kept on. And if expansions are anything to go by Rift hadn't been a big thing at Trion for some time - the last expansion being over 4 years ago. 

Its still running. Focus on the positive. 

14 months afaik w/o new content
  • RenndRennd Member UncommonPosts: 37
    edited December 2018
    I remember how well that worked out for Marvel Heroes. We had the exact same announcement a few months before it closed.

Still, I think Rift and any game coming over from Trion will be fine to some degree.

Not exactly sure about Defiance and Atlas, never played them.

Gamigo has games way worst then Trion lineup, they have 5 lines of "updates" every week, mostly for the marketplace and they worked like this for the past 8+ years? (Looking at you Loong Online)
    Loong last major update was in 2012 from what I gathered.

S4League is played by 50 concurrent members at best?

Fiesta looks ok? Last major update was last year. I guess that is fine but its the pride and joy of the company.

Trion games will be ok for the next few years but they won't see anything major coming.
    My take on it at least.

Edit: My first post, in 5 years on this website. I'm stepping up.

gervaise1atonico
  • HarikenHariken Member EpicPosts: 2,680
    Nyctelios said:
    I stop following it after launch when they nerfed the only and core marketing push of "you can mix and match any class" to "you can only mix and match similar classes". Played a couple of hours, kinda generic theme park mmorpg.

But, there is a big community behind the game, and it would be a big loss to let it go under.
    Wow you could do that? 
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    I played from launch and had a lot of fun at first with some good quests for the most part.  Left for awhile and the prices on things were way over the top.  That was pretty much it for me. 

If the game continues I expect lots of pay walls to get to content and tons of loot boxes along with multiple currencies just to complicate things and cost more.
    [Deleted User]

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• MachkeznhoMachkeznho Member UncommonPosts: 422
    looking forward to the new micro transaction based end game where we can dual wield our credit cards. Hard Pass RIP Rift.
  • herculeshercules Member UncommonPosts: 4,924
    edited December 2018
    Well if you look at everquest which too was sold off they did get expansions
    However this tend to be really poor quality
    Some years ago this would be actually insulting to charge gamers for this
    They also milk it .At some point it cost 200 dollars to get the premium expansion ,i believe now it been reduced to 140 dollars
    Strangely ,The 140 dollar one is sort of needed if you plan to catch up as it has instant boost to your character levels and gear ! So guessing same will happen to rift