Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Path of Exile PlayStation 4 Release Delayed - MMORPG.com

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited November 2018 in News & Features Discussion

imagePath of Exile PlayStation 4 Release Delayed - MMORPG.com

The Path of Exile team has posted that the release of the PlayStation 4 version of the game is being delayed. The team had originally targeted a December released, but the timeline has changed. PoE for PS4 will now be available in February 2019, though it's still possible it may arrive in January instead. Devs indicated that they underestimated the amount of time it would take "to finish the certification process during the busy Christmas period", hence the delay.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• OhhPaigeyOhhPaigey Member RarePosts: 1,517
    That sucks, was looking forward to playing the new league on PC and PS4.
    When all is said and done, more is always said than done.
  • CelciusCelcius Member RarePosts: 1,869
    That is disappointing for PS4 players. Hopefully it goes off without a hitch in Feb. I am greatly looking forward to this league though!
  • CryomatrixCryomatrix Member EpicPosts: 3,223
    edited November 2018
    As long as new season isnt delayed, im good. I mean on PC.
    Catch me streaming at twitch.tv/cryomatrix
    You can see my sci-fi/WW2 book recommendations. 
  • JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,965
    I don't understand GGG and why they even bother releasing on consoles, when they don't have the resources the actually maintain it?

https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-forum/722

If the Xbox One version is any indication, I fear the PS4 release ain't gonna be much better.

Maybe they should just stick to one platform, the PC.

Just look at Marvel Heroes and how that turned out in the end.... sigh.
    Celcius
  • Solar_ProphetSolar_Prophet Member EpicPosts: 1,960
    Well that sucks. Oh well, RDR 2 (offline and online) will keep me occupied for a long time, I think. 

AN' DERE AIN'T NO SUCH FING AS ENUFF DAKKA, YA GROT! Enuff'z more than ya got an' less than too much an' there ain't no such fing as too much dakka. Say dere is, and me Squiggoff'z eatin' tonight!

We are born of the blood. Made men by the blood. Undone by the blood. Our eyes are yet to open. FEAR THE OLD BLOOD. 

#IStandWithVic

• jj7009jj7009 Member UncommonPosts: 223
    "My disappointment is profound, and my day is ruined."
  • SeelinnikoiSeelinnikoi Member RarePosts: 1,360
    So how this will work out with the Leagues?

Because it seems now that PS4 will be forever 3 months late and the novelty of a new League will fade away as when their League starts, everyone is already bored to death on the PC.
    If you are a Star Wars fan, why not try the Star Wars The Old Republic?
    New players can get a welcome package and old/returning players can also get a welcome back package and 7 days free subscription time! Just click here to use my referral invitation
  • ceh430ceh430 Member UncommonPosts: 42

JeroKane said:

I don't understand GGG and why they even bother releasing on consoles, when they don't have the resources the actually maintain it?

If the Xbox One version is any indication, I fear the PS4 release ain't gonna be much better.

you should not compare it to MH fuckers, they was in debt since David Brevik left... i would say they just kept it under cover like "we are fine nothing happens" then boom we are closing guys,bye...

GGG is owned by Tencent(infinite money generator) and PoE is doing GREAT with PC version in China and worldwide so...

see how different it is compared to MH?
  • JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,965
    edited November 2018
    ceh430 said:

JeroKane said:

you should not compare it to MH fuckers, they was in debt since David Brevik left... i would say they just kept it under cover like "we are fine nothing happens" then boom we are closing guys,bye...

GGG is owned by Tencent(infinite money generator) and PoE is doing GREAT with PC version in China and worldwide so...

see how different it is compared to MH?
    MH was doing great too, but went under due to gross mismanagement yes. One of the sins they committed was leaving their PC playerbase hanging high and dry, when the Console (PS4) version was doing really well and all development focus went into that.

GGG isn't doing any better at the moment and is leaving their Xbox One customers hanging high and dry with ZERO communication.

What use is Tencent and it's infinite money, if that money isn't flowing to GGG and them actually allocating resources to the Xbox One version?

It's not just releasing a game on a new platform. You actually have to maintain it afterwards as well. /shrug
    Celcius
  • velimiriusvelimirius Member UncommonPosts: 134
    who needs a console when you have a phone...
  • rertezrertez Member UncommonPosts: 230
    Well it's going to be literally an out of season Christmas present then. I can wait for that.
  • QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,355
    When I looked into Path of Exile a while ago, it looked like it required really aggressive pointing and clicking with a mouse.  That would make it basically unplayable with a controller.  So how are they making a console version of it?  Do you use a mouse with the console version?  Are you just at a huge disadvantage if using a console?  Did they change the control scheme to allow WASD movement or something to not use a mouse?  Or did I just completely misunderstand the game's control scheme in the first place and it has been controller-friendly all along?
  • CelciusCelcius Member RarePosts: 1,869
    So how this will work out with the Leagues?

Because it seems now that PS4 will be forever 3 months late and the novelty of a new League will fade away as when their League starts, everyone is already bored to death on the PC.
    It will launch with the next league which will make it in sync. Leagues are every 3 months 
    I experienced PoE on a console at a friend's house. It is actually easy to play with a controller. However, the problem is that inventory management, trading, and everything else where a mouse is so much easier makes the game super tedious. 

I'd never play it on a console for that reason alone. The mouse just makes it so much easier. They could do some QOL improvements to reduce the clicking like automatic pickup of currency items automatically when they drop. 

Like no one is not going to pick up an exalted orb, so may as well just have it automatically go into your inventory or stash. 

If you are a hoarder like me, i pick up scrolls of wisdom, last league i had like 1300 scrolls of wisdom lmao . . . . it's sad actually. I did buy a quad tab the other day so my inventory management shouldn't be a problem. I'm so bloody excited for PC. Too bad, I picked up 2 days of work on 12/11 and 12/12 . . . damn, was going to spend those playing and dying. 

Cryomatrix
    I experienced PoE on a console at a friend's house. It is actually easy to play with a controller. However, the problem is that inventory management, trading, and everything else where a mouse is so much easier makes the game super tedious. 

I'd never play it on a console for that reason alone. The mouse just makes it so much easier. They could do some QOL improvements to reduce the clicking like automatic pickup of currency items automatically when they drop. 

Like no one is not going to pick up an exalted orb, so may as well just have it automatically go into your inventory or stash. 

If you are a hoarder like me, i pick up scrolls of wisdom, last league i had like 1300 scrolls of wisdom lmao . . . . it's sad actually. I did buy a quad tab the other day so my inventory management shouldn't be a problem. I'm so bloody excited for PC. Too bad, I picked up 2 days of work on 12/11 and 12/12 . . . damn, was going to spend those playing and dying. 

Cryomatrix
    Is it not click to move, then?  What I've seen online makes it look like it is.  The problem that controllers have is that you can't click on something with anywhere near the speed and precision of a mouse.  Usually that plus click to move means that movement is awkward, and that makes you terrible at the game.

So how does that add up to "easy to play" here?  Is there no need for precise movement?  Perhaps get to the general area, then stand there and blast away with skills?  Or is the game a lot slower paced than it looks in the videos, so that you don't need to be able to move very well?  Or perhaps one of those stupidly easy games where you basically can't fail unless you actively try to fail?
    Mouse movements are critical in PoE on a PC but mainly for picking stuff up and using avoidance skills. By easy I mean it is fluid to play on a console. 

Path of Exile is not an easy game on hardcore mode at least (or i just suck at the game). You can die so easily and so many different ways. I've played the game 1400+ hours in hardcore mode and I'm still finding new ways to die. It's quite pathetic and hilarious actually. However, my most common cause of death is hubris. I've died in such unique and pathetic ways, I feel like i'm the only person to have died in that manner. I am like the sports player that hurts themselves sneezing, it's how i die in the game. 

Getting back to topic, precise movements with a mouse are important in picking stuff up on a PC. But on a console you can move your character well enough I believe. I can't say i played more than 5-10 minutes on a console. 

I still think PC is probably better to play the game than console in terms of movement, but i didn't feel like in the 5-10 minutes i played on console that i was severely limited until i went to trade or manage my inventory/stash. 

Cryomatrix

• PemminPemmin Member UncommonPosts: 623
    edited December 2018
    Quizzical said:

Cryomatrix
    Is it not click to move, then?  What I've seen online makes it look like it is.  The problem that controllers have is that you can't click on something with anywhere near the speed and precision of a mouse.  Usually that plus click to move means that movement is awkward, and that makes you terrible at the game.

So how does that add up to "easy to play" here?  Is there no need for precise movement?  Perhaps get to the general area, then stand there and blast away with skills?  Or is the game a lot slower paced than it looks in the videos, so that you don't need to be able to move very well?  Or perhaps one of those stupidly easy games where you basically can't fail unless you actively try to fail?
    its not totally click movement

you can set up another button as a move option and hold that down then the character will follow the cursor on screen( no mouse click). I use the my "Q" slot for movement and left click mouse for picking things up because I have nerve damage in my hand and repeated click with index finger hurts after a few minutes. works out perfectly fine gameplay wise

I don't play the console ver but I assume that it works similarly you hold a move button and and use the analog sticks or d pad to move.

Pemmin said:
    Quizzical said:

Cryomatrix

you can set up another button as a move option and hold that down then the character will follow the cursor on screen( no mouse click). I use the my "Q" slot for movement and left click mouse for picking things up because I have nerve damage in my hand and repeated click with index finger hurts after a few minutes. works out perfectly fine gameplay wise

I don't play the console ver but I assume that it works similarly you hold a move button and and use the analog sticks or d pad to move.

What does that mean?  Does it mean:

a)  You've remapped the Q key to mouse click so that pressing Q has the same effect as left-clicking the mouse?
    b)  When you hold down Q, you move toward the mouse pointer, but when you release it, you stop moving toward the mouse pointer?
    c)  When you hold down Q with the mouse pointer not moving, you don't move, but if you hold Q and move the mouse pointer, you move in the direction that the mouse is moving?
    d)  Something else?

Trying to ask search engines mostly finds forum threads arguing about whether or not WASD movement should be an option.
  • PemminPemmin Member UncommonPosts: 623
    edited December 2018
    Quizzical said:
    Pemmin said:
    Quizzical said:

Cryomatrix

a)  You've remapped the Q key to mouse click so that pressing Q has the same effect as left-clicking the mouse?
    b)  When you hold down Q, you move toward the mouse pointer, but when you release it, you stop moving toward the mouse pointer?
    c)  When you hold down Q with the mouse pointer not moving, you don't move, but if you hold Q and move the mouse pointer, you move in the direction that the mouse is moving?
    d)  Something else?

Trying to ask search engines mostly finds forum threads arguing about whether or not WASD movement should be an option.
    its a combo of a) and b)

you hold down Q and you character chases the cursor, but you'll stop at where the cursor was last located once you release the button. full 360 degree motion that feels super fluid

also you can make a hard stop if you need too by using any none "movement" tagged skill. you cant attack/cast and move at the same time.

movement skills work similarly(but also modified by attack/cast speed) you'll continually attack/cast at the cursor until you release the button or run out of mana. but you can't make the hard stop.

also monsters with instant death moves telegraph them with amble time. the general best way to avoid them is to use a movement skill to go behind them. every movement skill excluding shield charge will avoid collision.

Quizzical
  • mklinicmklinic Member RarePosts: 1,981
    Quizzical said:
    When I looked into Path of Exile a while ago, it looked like it required really aggressive pointing and clicking with a mouse.  That would make it basically unplayable with a controller.  So how are they making a console version of it?  Do you use a mouse with the console version?  Are you just at a huge disadvantage if using a console?  Did they change the control scheme to allow WASD movement or something to not use a mouse?  Or did I just completely misunderstand the game's control scheme in the first place and it has been controller-friendly all along?
    Not sure if it was clearly answered, but pretty sure movement is handled via one of the analog sticks on an XBox controller (as opposed to default click-to-move on PC). Agree with other comments though; While the movement is a bit more natural (in my opinion) on console, the inventory management is more of a pain. Overall, I think mouse and keyboard make for a better overall experience on this game, but felt the XBox version was still enjoyable. 

It's been a little bit since I played it on either so I'll test it out on XBox today and edit this post if I misspoke.

-mklinic

"Do something right, no one remembers.
    Do something wrong, no one forgets"
    -from No One Remembers by In Strict Confidence

Pemmin said:
    Quizzical said:
    Pemmin said:
    Quizzical said:

Cryomatrix

d)  Something else?

its a combo of a) and b)

you hold down Q and you character chases the cursor, but you'll stop at where the cursor was last located once you release the button. full 360 degree motion that feels super fluid

also you can make a hard stop if you need too by using any none "movement" tagged skill. you cant attack/cast and move at the same time.

movement skills work similarly(but also modified by attack/cast speed) you'll continually attack/cast at the cursor until you release the button or run out of mana. but you can't make the hard stop.

also monsters with instant death moves telegraph them with amble time. the general best way to avoid them is to use a movement skill to go behind them. every movement skill excluding shield charge will avoid collision.

On paper, that sounds awkward, but I'll concede that I haven't tried a game where I controlled a character that way.  Move toward this point with a way to stop it does sound more forgiving than move to this point exactly.  And while less precise than a mouse, thumbsticks work fine for things like controlling the camera in Kritika, where it's the nature of the game that if you end up off by 10 degrees from what you intended, it doesn't matter.

I think that ultimately, I'll probably just have to try it sometime.  I've spent a lot of time playing games like Guild Wars 2 or Neverwinter that are somewhat awkward on a controller, but at least playable.

Thank you for your explanation.
    mklinic said:
    Quizzical said:
    Not sure if it was clearly answered, but pretty sure movement is handled via one of the analog sticks on an XBox controller (as opposed to default click-to-move on PC). Agree with other comments though; While the movement is a bit more natural (in my opinion) on console, the inventory management is more of a pain. Overall, I think mouse and keyboard make for a better overall experience on this game, but felt the XBox version was still enjoyable. 

It's been a little bit since I played it on either so I'll test it out on XBox today and edit this post if I misspoke.
    Does that mean using a thumbstick to control a mouse pointer, and then effectively still having click to move?  Or does that mean using a thumbstick to move more directly in a WASD-like manner?

If the latter, then can you do that on a PC, too?  Or is this something like TERA, where they'll have a console version, but try to cripple unapproved controllers on the PC version?
  • mklinicmklinic Member RarePosts: 1,981
    Quizzical said:
    Does that mean using a thumbstick to control a mouse pointer, and then effectively still having click to move?  Or does that mean using a thumbstick to move more directly in a WASD-like manner?

If the latter, then can you do that on a PC, too?  Or is this something like TERA, where they'll have a console version, but try to cripple unapproved controllers on the PC version?
    For console: thumbstick to move in a WASD-like manner. Not click-to-move.

I don't have the PC version installed right now, so can't comment aside from it doesn't appear that it has controller support and doesn't support WASD movement (unless this has changed recently and I missed it). I would think, without WASD bindings, trying to emulate the console movement, on something like a Steam controller, would still be a bit off, but that's just me speculating.

-mklinic

"Do something right, no one remembers.
    Do something wrong, no one forgets"
    -from No One Remembers by In Strict Confidence