Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Star Trek Fleet Command Review: A New Era in Star Trek Mobile Gaming - Not So MMO - MMORPG.com

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited November 2018 in News & Features Discussion

imageStar Trek Fleet Command Review: A New Era in Star Trek Mobile Gaming - Not So MMO - MMORPG.com

Red alert! Red alert! All hands to battle stations, we are being boarded! You hear as the alarm klaxons start going off all around you. An explosion rocks your ship that knocks you from your post. It was a Klingon attack on the outer colonies. The Klingons want to take the area of space for themselves and so they are attacking the Starbase. This is our review for Star Trek Fleet Command.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    1st thing I asked was the platform this is played on. Glad it was put in the notes. Anyone know the best mirror to TV software, without jail breaking your phone?

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• Krynt0kKrynt0k Member UncommonPosts: 256
    Google home app can mirror your phone to your tv. if you have a chromecast
  • Thawolf1Thawolf1 Member UncommonPosts: 21
    Yup I wanted to make sure people knew where they could get it. As far as your other question I do not.
  • bigcheeseukbigcheeseuk Member UncommonPosts: 133
    edited November 2018
    I wanted it to be a revamp of Taldren/Interplay's 'ST Starfleet command', what a game that was!
    SaltyDog79LeiHngWeiPhry
  • Panserbjorne39Panserbjorne39 Member UncommonPosts: 142
    Nah to mobile. Hoping one day we'll get a current gen PC Trek game, non VR.
  • KitsunamiKitsunami Member UncommonPosts: 101
    Bias much? It's not fun. Zero strategy zero interactions. It's a soul less star trek game.
    YoofaloofScotty787SolancerPhry
  • SaltyDog79SaltyDog79 Member UncommonPosts: 119

I wanted it to be a revamp of Taldren/Interplay's 'ST Starfleet command', what a game that was!

This was probably the last Star Trek game I truly enjoyed. STO has its moments but a lot of flaws too.
    Phry
  • strykr619strykr619 Member UncommonPosts: 284
    Not even bothering to read the article, its mobile so it means cash grab. 
    Asm0deus[Deleted User]
  • BC_AnimusBC_Animus Member UncommonPosts: 115
    All of these gatcha games have the same gameplay and mechanics. A lot even share the same art or UI assets. Same cash grab game, different skins. I try to stay away from them.
    Asm0deusPhry
  • Afro-ThunderAfro-Thunder Member UncommonPosts: 86
    edited November 2018
    I played this for three hours tonight and then sat back and thought, what's the point? So I uninstalled. This is really a boring game after a couple of hours.
    Phry
  • TacticalZombehTacticalZombeh Member UncommonPosts: 430
    Checked the reviews on the GooglePlay store. Yep, microtransaction slog-fest and very very buggy. Getting worse by long term player accounts.

Don't you guys have phones?

... not for this garbage.
    PhryPhaserlight
  • ShinamiShinami Member UncommonPosts: 825
    Mobile means cash-grab, and with the Federal Trade Commission (FTC) agreeing to look into Loot Boxes and other Cash-Grab mechanisms that mimic gambling, I would much rather stay away from any game that follows this model until the smoke clears.

Can't wait for this to get into ICD-11 or the next DSM as the video game industry tried to prove the studies against loot boxes as biased and idiotic by trying to actually run the studies themselves and the results being more severe than in the original studies.
  • LeiHngWeiLeiHngWei Member UncommonPosts: 67
    At level 15 you can attack other players' bases. If you're into EVE Online open space PvP/PK, here it is with a JJ Trek skin for mobile.
    Phry
  • cagancagan Member UncommonPosts: 445
    It is a click and wait build base buy gold attack others game, nothing to do with star trek, it is just another town builder mobile game skinned in star trek...AVOID LIKE PLAGUE!!!
    Phry
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751
    I'm not going top invest in mobile games...The more money we spend there, the more likely these companies will continue to develop games there and less we will get for the PC.
  • VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888
    @SBFord

Google Chrome is displaying security error when trying to visit this forum thread:

The problem seems to be limited to this single thread.

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    LeiHngWei said:
    At level 15 you can attack other players' bases. If you're into EVE Online open space PvP/PK, here it is with a JJ Trek skin for mobile.
    Just no, its none of those things. :p
    Phaserlight
  • cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,100
    Vrika said:
    @SBFord

Google Chrome is displaying security error when trying to visit this forum thread:

The problem seems to be limited to this single thread.
    It does say Red Alert! Red Alert!
    Phry
    Chamber of Chains
    also why does MMORPG advertise POS mobile games now? I know you need money to survive but you gotta have some limits people...
    [Deleted User]
  • cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,100
    cagan said:
    also why does MMORPG advertise POS mobile games now? I know you need money to survive but you gotta have some limits people...
    Hey mobile is the future don't knock it we might all be playing only that pretty soon. All the development money is going in that direction.
    Chamber of Chains
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    cheyane said:
    cagan said:
    Hey mobile is the future don't knock it we might all be playing only that pretty soon. All the development money is going in that direction.
    Yeah, don't you guys have phones! ..

come to think of it, i don't  :p
  • PhaserlightPhaserlight Member EpicPosts: 3,072
    So much mobophobia!

You don't see me condemning PC as a gaming platform when something like FO76 hits.  Star Trek Fleet Command is either a good game or a bad game, can we talk about that?

"The simple is the seal of the true and beauty is the splendor of truth" -Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar
    Authored 139 missions in Vendetta Online and 6 tracks in Distance

So much mobophobia!

You don't see me condemning PC as a gaming platform when something like FO76 hits.  Star Trek Fleet Command is either a good game or a bad game, can we talk about that?
    It is a bad city builder game, instead of the classic medieval town making soldiers and attacking others they reskinned it to be star trek base where you make ships attack other people. Download and play clash of kings or one of those city builder games where you either wait 10 hours for your barracks to build or pay cash....same thing
    Phaserlight[Deleted User]
  • gair22gair22 Member UncommonPosts: 15
    I play SWGOH and MSF both on mobile. Gradually these pay to win games are just getting worse. Star Trek Fleet Commander isn't even ranked anywhere near on quality as the other genres. Areas where voice or sound effects could be are completely barren. There is no actual ship combat or strategy element. Placing structures in predefined areas in predetermined times (levels/ranks) with no say involved is not actual strategy.

Stuff to note:

-It is Star Trek
    -Relatively descent roster, but unfortunately like SWGOH has duplicate characters due to era
    -No actual combat
    -Cookie cutter tier upgrade mechanics that don't really belong in Star Trek
    -Base building "looks" cool, but functionally abysmal due to illogical functionality. (Like steel making officers better)

Research - 35,000 units (which can be bought ironically in a starter pack) to increase damage by 100%. P2W all day here.

Final verdict: 3/10

Phaserlight
  • TarricTarric Member UncommonPosts: 8
    Been playing for a couple weeks:
    1] buggy as hell. UI freezes, crashes, has even caused an outright phone crash twice. Use at your own risk
    2] fun but after level 10 you start to feel the pay-to-win aspects
    3] after level 15 pay-to-win is in full force. It becomes excruciatingly difficult to mine enough resources to upgrade your ships due to cash players who bought one of the most powerful ships in the game, out just players 4-5 levels higher than you killing your miner over and over.

Honestly the pve aspects of the game are great. There just aren't enough. The PvP is broken and imbalanced. The game is still extremely buggy too.