Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

MMO world is so dead right now it sucks

SO let's submit a wish list!!!!!  What do you want to see!!

Here's my two cents:

imageClassic UO style skill based game with minimal leveling.

image  Guild/realm/allegiance choices similar to DAoC with the difference being that joining gets you benefits but is OPTIONAL if you want to stay out of the politics.  Player-made kindgoms/guilds/deity-allegiance could also be in the design.

image  Top-down or Bird's eye view so that you could see the entire game in detail with 360 degree vision.  It would run on your average PC, allowing for larger interactions and combat without the technological limitations that hinder online gameplay.  Think "Customizable Diablo 2 x 10" graphics meets expanded Classic UO game design.

image  Have Softcore and Hardcore Servers.  Softcore, a death results in loss of equiped loot and exp. towards next level.  Hardcore is permadeath.

And there it is in a nutshell!!!!!!!!  Read, oh game companies, and adapt!!!!!  Happy New Year to you all-no drinking and driving or Djin will GRIEF you @$$ right off the sight!

Permadeath and environmental challenges are the next great step in the evolution of MMORPGs. Only through true adversity will one feel accomplished. Only in truly knowing you can die will true adversity present itself.

Comments

• DaHulkDaHulk Member Posts: 10

Check this game out: www.trialsofascension.com

Hush! It hasn't come out yet so don't wake him up!

• rathmarathma Member UncommonPosts: 3,786
     FFXI is out image. Me and Kiamde bought it a couple days ago. But yeah, hopefully 2004 will bring better games.

http://www.OriginNow.com - Official Fanboi

EverQuest II : Level 20 Paladin - Antonia Bayle Server
  • ianubisiianubisi Member Posts: 4,201

I completely disagree with the idea that MMO gaming is dead. I'm having a blast, and I know it's going to get better.

These are good times.

• MunkiMunki Member CommonPosts: 2,128

ianubis then you must be a minority right now, many reviews of mmorpgs, and sites are all claiming right now is the down part of mmorpgs,
    we had the introduction, when they were all new
    Right now were at, hopefully approaching the end of the over saturation
    next woudl be the golden age, where major breakthroughs will be made, opening mmorpgs up the mainstream.
    and then it settles down and becomes a typical genre that everyone has played and recognises.

as for
    www.shadowpool.com (trials of ancesion) I cant wait till that one comes ouy

after 6 or so years, I had to change it a little...

Munki, if you think we're oversaturated now, just wait until 2005. Look at the release schedules, and consider that most of the games on the market today will still be there. UO, EQ, AO, etc...they will still have active userbases.

I respect anyone's opinion...if you think this is a down time, then you have a right to that opinion. But I know I am having a great time playing MMOGs, and I know more goodness is coming. If that puts me in the minority...so be it. But I would wonder...do you mean a minority of gamers, or a minority of MMO gamers?

I really recommend anyone consider the source of dissasfied information. Remember that people complain far more loudly than they compliment. It's the nature of the beast...complainers are always very loud. Squeeky wheel gets the oil...they should be loud...but that doesn't mean they represent the majority. They often don't.

if you look at it, the sucess of mmorpgs are just going down hill, with every new relase they get less and less people.

we are over saturated right now, sure some people have fun, but its the social that keeps the people, I highly doubt that you stay in SWG for the game, but the people in the game and how you interact with the people, thats the reason my bro loves SWG, and i cant stand it.

I did make as many friends as him, where as UO lasted him 1 month it lasted me almsot a year.

Mmorpgs only ever last if hte players interact, what they need to do is create a game that people could play by themselves for the one month trial and still want to pay for another month...

looka t the amount of free clones, and masses of mmorpgs being pumped out with nothing special about them,

THen looka t 2005, all these developers are actually taking a risk, trying new ideas,

WoW is rather a clone, but they plan on trying to make hte game so simple ANYBODY could play it and play it well, this is an attempt to open the game ot the mainstream

UO:X is trying to create a interactive combat system that keeps you on your feet

Linage II: is trying to suck more money out of korea

EQ2: I dont know what its doing, mostly because I havent even looked at the game, but im sure there trying somthing new

There are two games, wich are taking a huge leap of faith
    Ninth Domain
    and
    Trials of Ancesion

http://www.gamespot.com/features/6085963/p-10.html
    i posted this somewhere else, but if you havent already id say, READ THIS!
    its really brings home the fact that mmorpgs are repeating themselves, and they need to really starting using htere imagination.

• Clever_GloveClever_Glove Member Posts: 996
    If you don't feed the trolls they die from hunger

-=-=-=-=-
    "elimination of any downtime and you don't have a chance to really talk. The result is no one gives a crap who you are. It's so incredibly anti-community building." - Brad McQuid (sigil games, maker of EQ)

A: 93% E: 55% S:3% K: 50%

Games and players have a type. What type are you? click here learn what it means here.

-=-=-=-=-
    Achievers realise that killers as a concept are necessary in order to make achievement meaningful and worthwhile (there being no way to "lose" the game if any fool can "win" just by plodding slowly unchallenged). -bartle

Bartle: A: 93% E: 55% S:3% K: 50% The Test. Learn what it means here.

• RleabRleab Member Posts: 30

Originally posted by Munki

if you look at it, the sucess of mmorpgs are just going down hill, with every new relase they get less and less people.
    we are over saturated right now, sure some people have fun, but its the social that keeps the people, I highly doubt that you stay in SWG for the game, but the people in the game and how you interact with the people, thats the reason my bro loves SWG, and i cant stand it.
    I did make as many friends as him, where as UO lasted him 1 month it lasted me almsot a year.
    Mmorpgs only ever last if hte players interact, what they need to do is create a game that people could play by themselves for the one month trial and still want to pay for another month...
    looka t the amount of free clones, and masses of mmorpgs being pumped out with nothing special about them,
    THen looka t 2005, all these developers are actually taking a risk, trying new ideas,
    WoW is rather a clone, but they plan on trying to make hte game so simple ANYBODY could play it and play it well, this is an attempt to open the game ot the mainstream
    UO:X is trying to create a interactive combat system that keeps you on your feet
    Linage II: is trying to suck more money out of korea
    EQ2: I dont know what its doing, mostly because I havent even looked at the game, but im sure there trying somthing new
    There are two games, wich are taking a huge leap of faith
    Ninth Domain
    and
    Trials of Ancesion

http://www.gamespot.com/features/6085963/p-10.html
    i posted this somewhere else, but if you havent already id say, READ THIS!
    its really brings home the fact that mmorpgs are repeating themselves, and they need to really starting using htere imagination.

Munki Eq2 is trying a mix of ragnarok online and AC2...they are creating a class tree (ie. novice-mage-enchanter-whatevers next)The tree part from AC2's skill tree thingy and Ro's class change.

Kind of cloning from 2 games but who knows they might remake the combat or trade or skills..whatever.

---------
    Who said games rotted the mind?

---------

• mastahmastah Member Posts: 39
    Im friggin having a blast! Im playing FFXI and HZ. Full of potential. If anyone is interested in buying SWG, Im selling it fo $30. What a POS!!!. Im a SW fan by the way.
  • FinweFinwe Member CommonPosts: 3,106
    Trials of ascension, I looked it slightly over, I must say, it reminds me of the old concept of Horizons. And sounds very impressive, defenitely takeing a chance, and thats what the MMRPG industry needs, its becoming too cookie-cutter. I hope it doesnt cower out like horizons.

"The greatest trick the devil played on humanity in the 20th century was convincing them that he didn't exist." (Paraphrasing) C.S. Lewis

"If a mother can kill her own child, what is left before I kill you and you kill me?" -Mother Teresa when talking about abortion after accepting the Nobel Peace Prize in 1979

• mastahmastah Member Posts: 39
    Finwe is right. Horizons was gonna be the shiznit. They killed it probably because theyre saving for some expansions. Trying not promise so much like SWG did. TOA looks cool. I guess well have to wait. As for the MMOG world being dead, your are friggin wrong. 
  • rathmarathma Member UncommonPosts: 3,786

Originally posted by mastah
    Im friggin having a blast! Im playing FFXI and HZ. Full of potential. If anyone is interested in buying SWG, Im selling it fo $30. What a POS!!!. Im a SW fan by the way.

Hey mastah, minda gettin' me some gil on FFXI? image.

I started 2 days ago and i'm a level 8 Warrior. I went from level 7 to 8, to 7 to 8 to 7 to 8. (not kidding either) Lousy de-levelling!

http://www.OriginNow.com - Official Fanboi

EverQuest II : Level 20 Paladin - Antonia Bayle Server
  • ViolentYViolentY Member Posts: 1,458
    It's the calm before the storm. Everyone is leaving MMORPGs, everything is slowly going downhill.... When Q1 2004 comes, the MMORPG world will be as thriving as ever before.

K: 73% A: 60% S: 33% E: 33%
    Anything you hate will be the root of everything you breathe.
    Breathing in the dirt will leave you hating all that you conceive.
    I never thought I'd be the one to bring it down to this.
    My last thought is through a statement and a shattered fist.
    Face down, fearless, light me up, end this.
    Face down, fearless, light me up, END THIS!

-Machiavelli

The big race right now is to open mmorpgs to the mainstream, but the big blocker right now is monthly fees, there is no way around them, but there has to be a way to make them seem a little less.. like amonthly fee, because this is basically what is keeping masses from trying mmorpgs

• genstylegenstyle Member UncommonPosts: 19
    Clever_Glove, Trolls regenerate in forum world.

#zfz on gamesnet

#Cyberglobe on Gamesurge

• FinweFinwe Member CommonPosts: 3,106

Originally posted by Munki

The big race right now is to open mmorpgs to the mainstream, but the big blocker right now is monthly fees, there is no way around them, but there has to be a way to make them seem a little less.. like amonthly fee, because this is basically what is keeping masses from trying mmorpgs

They're trying to milk the money cow, greed oh greed. I mean, everquest is what now, 12-15$? And what did it start at? 9.99? Truth is prices arent being raised because its costing more to upkeep, or because the games are getting better *cough, SWG, cough* but because they're able to. Hopefully it'll become like the gas race that was around a while back, and they'll keep on lowering prices to compete.

"The greatest trick the devil played on humanity in the 20th century was convincing them that he didn't exist." (Paraphrasing) C.S. Lewis

"If a mother can kill her own child, what is left before I kill you and you kill me?" -Mother Teresa when talking about abortion after accepting the Nobel Peace Prize in 1979

• UOAndrommieUOAndrommie Member Posts: 47

The actual big race right now is to grab what they can outta ya. Many games are making the same promise of something new, refreshing and different. But all are similar to one extent or another.  Either Sci-fi or Fantacy and there is only so many ways to make em. So don't really expect anything really off the wall different anytime soon. What ya hafta do is find a game that suits your own playstyle and stick with it.

I will agree tho the players are gettin swamped with new titles. A new one evey month and probibly like that for the next two years. Each game hoping to grab the box price offa ya, then a monthly fee offa ya.

The problems I have seen is many ppl, rather than trying different games they whine and complain utill things get changed in the game they are playing. Which sometimes kinda ruins it for others. UO has become one of those games. Newbies complain alot, next thing ya know something gets nerfed.

Or you can have devs that just ignore the players and do whatever the heck they feel like. Regardless of what player opinion is - SWG.

But what it comes down to is one thing. Game Devs have found a great way to make income. You buy a good game, you only pay for the box price. You pay for a MMORPG, you pay box price, then you monthly fee too. So games are going to be overwelmed for a time with clones. And amongst those clones Devs hope that gamers find their game to be the best and pay monthly. And they will all get a bit of your money. Cause you are always going to try that next big game...

*A game does not rule all other games...espcially if it hasn't been released yet.*

The laws of capitalism govern the price in the market. And when it comes to price, there is only one law that truly matters:

Whatever the market will bear.

They keep raising prices right now because demand is higher than supply. That will flip at some point, when we reach saturation (which we have not reached yet, despite what some people think). When it does, the devs of MMOGs with flagging populations will lower prices to attract consumers. It's the nature of capitalism.

• -Jan--Jan- Member Posts: 69

I'm waitiing for 2 games atm, Face of mankind and Warhammer online.

The first is interesting since it is really taking a big risk in the MMORPG front by having no levelling at all (no stats to improve, only influence and fame) and full pvp environment with FPS controls! Yet this is not enough, they are also making a totally PC governed faction system and market and complex manufacturing with no NPC interference.

It sounds very interesting and ballsy concept which (imho) is almost impossible to make work, but at least it proves that MMORPG world is not dead and devs are feverishly trying to breathe life to it (and take risks).

WO is just a familiar fantasy setting which appeals to me, it is nothing ground breaking in it, just a well made mmorpg which I want to try (I have never played a fantasy MMORPG yet, only Sci-fi, so I still have the novelty experience to look forward to in Fantasy MMORPGs).

• Clever_GloveClever_Glove Member Posts: 996

Originally posted by ianubisi

The laws of capitalism govern the price in the market. And when it comes to price, there is only one law that truly matters:
    Whatever the market will bear.
    They keep raising prices right now because demand is higher than supply. That will flip at some point, when we reach saturation (which we have not reached yet, despite what some people think). When it does, the devs of MMOGs with flagging populations will lower prices to attract consumers. It's the nature of capitalism.

And what a wonderful nature it is. I'm looking forward to market saturation. That's when things will get very interesting, and when Beta test will mean beta testing again. No of this half-functional alpha code being pumped out of the masses to collect a monthly fee.

I would also think by that point a MMORPG of just about ever gamer type should be alive and doing well. No matter what your thoughts on the prefect MMO there should be something reasonably close to what you feel is ideal to play.

-=-=-=-=-
    "elimination of any downtime and you don't have a chance to really talk. The result is no one gives a crap who you are. It's so incredibly anti-community building." - Brad McQuid (sigil games, maker of EQ)

A: 93% E: 55% S:3% K: 50%

Games and players have a type. What type are you? click here learn what it means here.

-=-=-=-=-
    Achievers realise that killers as a concept are necessary in order to make achievement meaningful and worthwhile (there being no way to "lose" the game if any fool can "win" just by plodding slowly unchallenged). -bartle

Bartle: A: 93% E: 55% S:3% K: 50% The Test. Learn what it means here.

• RleabRleab Member Posts: 30

Well lets see Ragnarok Online tried something kind of new as far as i can see...it is entertaining but only for 2-5 months.

The way I see it 'the MMO world is in the emergency room right now...it's up to the dev's to give it new medicine or feed it the same old medicine.

---------

---------