Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Terminally Ill Teen's Extra-Life Campaign to be Remembered as an Inspiration to Others - MMORPG.com

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited December 2018 in News & Features Discussion

imageTerminally Ill Teen's Extra-Life Campaign to be Remembered as an Inspiration to Others - MMORPG.com News

A terminally ill 14-year-old teenager named Maddox Hyde will be participating in his first, and probably last, Extra-Life gaming marathon today in order to raise funds for the Children's Hospital of Pittsburgh Foundation. Maddox's goal is "to be remembered as an inspiration to others, and as a Champion for other kids like [him]". Maddox's #FortheKids campaign will begin today at 8:00 am Pacific / 11:00 am Eastern.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
    Godspeed, young man. You are already an inspiration to me and to anyone else reading your story.
    Bakgrindetlar[Deleted User]ShodanasScotGaladourncheyaneOctagon7711[Deleted User]viddsterand 4 others.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• etlaretlar Member UncommonPosts: 855
    Its always so sad when children are going to die, breaks my heart, everyone is destroyed in such scenarios. +1 for mentioning it here.
    SBForditchmon
  • WBadgerWBadger Member RarePosts: 371
    I'm not crying. You're crying! This kid really is a testament to his generation that in fighting a deadly disease for so long and his last major act is raise money for charity.
    SBForditchmon
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Yeah very sad how life treats us.I feel bad for him and his family.
    This sort of stuff angers me because my first thoughts are the greedy ass Hospitals and doctors who just leech money from the desperate families.
    Like what family is not going to care for their children,yeah exactly they ALL will and these sanctums know it and will grind as much money out of them as possible.
    So the parents have to suffer the eventual loss and i could only imagine how much money yikes.

I think what also happens from my experiences in the Hospital is when you are THAT sick,they will feed you lots of pills to ease the pain as well to remove the stress,so he is likely not all himself able to actually feel the stress of what he is going through.
    GdemamiAalamrBeezerbeez

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• CIB3CIB3 Member UncommonPosts: 121
    edited December 2018
    If this kid read this I want only one thing to say to him:

Don't worry, death is only a transition to a new world, a new universe, with a new and much better form of conscience, with much larger capabilities of spirit. What I say it's not religion, is somewhat a science not discovered/regulated yet by humans, but observed and noted by humans from thousands of years. Like electricity 1000 years ago. You will see, we all will see this, soon or later. Be brave!
    SBFord
  • kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,885
    Wow! Such a great thing he's doing. He is a credit to his family and I hope it raises a lot of money to help others.
    SBFord

• AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    Its always sad to see a young person's life in peril but it is also amazing how strong they can be in such times. My thoughts and prayers are with you.
    SBFord
  • DarkspireDarkspire Member UncommonPosts: 14
    Godspeed lad, The light that burns twice as bright burns half as long :(
    SBFordchilltime99
  • cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,067
    ''they are heading home with him to keep his pain controlled as he lives his final weeks."

I recently lost a dear friend to cancer and this line breaks my heart as in the end that was what her family did too.

So very brave of him to do this.
    SBFord
    Chamber of Chains
  • BeyornBeyorn Member UncommonPosts: 366
    Cancer is OP, it needs to be nerfed to the ground ;(.
    SBForditchmon
  • SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
    edited December 2018
    Maddox is streaming Fortnite right now! :)

They're also accepting Christmas cards on his behalf:

Christmas Cards for Maddox Hyde
    333 Ohio St.
     Reynoldsville PA, 15851

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,067
    SBFord said:
    Maddox is streaming Fortnite right now! :)

Thanks tuning in
    SBFord
    Chamber of Chains
  • itchmonitchmon Member RarePosts: 1,999
    Another name to add to my Sig alongside Ribbitribbitt.

You will not be forgotten, kid. A ton of people could learn an important lesson from you.
    SBFord

RIP Ribbitribbitt you are missed, kid.

Currently Playing EVE, ESO

Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and not clothed.

Dwight D Eisenhower

My optimism wears heavy boots and is loud.

Henry Rollins

• lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    They say you never get more then you can handle, if that is true Maddox you are one of the strongest people out there. You might be 14 years old but your actions show a wisdom and compassion far beyond your age. Godspeed little one, to wherever it might take you.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir  
    SBFord
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

• herculeshercules Member UncommonPosts: 4,924
    Reading his journey since the age of 6 .
    It is good to know there are good people with a strong heart and soul still on this planet .
    You are one of them maddox
    SBFord