Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

MMORPG.com : General : Artifact Takes Off & Celebrates with a New Trailer

SystemSystem Member UncommonPosts: 12,599
edited November 2018 in Videos Discussion

imageMMORPG.com : General : Artifact Takes Off & Celebrates with a New Trailer

MMORPG.com reviews MMO and MMORPG games. We also provide news and exclusive coverage of the MMO gaming space. Our free MMO games list and discussion forums are the best site for gamers in search of a gaming community.

Read the full story here

Comments

• MensurMensur Member EpicPosts: 1,515
    Dota 2 for life! - cant wait to try this card game.

mmorpg junkie since 1999

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    I have stuck with Hearthstone despite it lacking several things.I haveplayed MTG since way back,like 20 years ago and online as well.I have played Duelyst and several other TCG's,this Artifact game looks so bad,i am not remotely interested to try it.I watched a few of the Hearthstone streamers playing it,it looks cumbersome and boring and not visually appealing either.
    Both the newest editions Artifact and MTGO gave us crappy boring looking boards,so very much a lazy effort.Even though hearthstone frustrates me often,the game is more visually appealing and just better for viewers,something these other tcg devs don't understand.
    JeffSpicoliReaperman69

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    The best TCG online ever to date was the SOE game,really too bad Smedley ruined that like he does everything.They simply did not follow through on expanding the game and with so many bugs felt it was a daunting task to fix so gave up.
    Too bad because the SOE game had gorgeous 3d figurines on a playable board,100x better visually than any other TCG as well the game play was solid.
    itchmon

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• JeffSpicoliJeffSpicoli Member EpicPosts: 2,849

Wizardry said:

I have stuck with Hearthstone despite it lacking several things.I haveplayed MTG since way back,like 20 years ago and online as well.I have played Duelyst and several other TCG's,this Artifact game looks so bad,i am not remotely interested to try it.I watched a few of the Hearthstone streamers playing it,it looks cumbersome and boring and not visually appealing either.
    Both the newest editions Artifact and MTGO gave us crappy boring looking boards,so very much a lazy effort.Even though hearthstone frustrates me often,the game is more visually appealing and just better for viewers,something these other tcg devs don't understand.

Pretty much this, I was looking forward to this for the longest time but its so dam bland looking. Heartstone keeps it interesting with the graphics and the sound effects. Im really shocked how they overlooked this aspect.
    • Aloha Mr Hand ! 

• JeffSpicoliJeffSpicoli Member EpicPosts: 2,849
    edited November 2018

Wizardry said:

The best TCG online ever to date was the SOE game,really too bad Smedley ruined that like he does everything.They simply did not follow through on expanding the game and with so many bugs felt it was a daunting task to fix so gave up.
    Too bad because the SOE game had gorgeous 3d figurines on a playable board,100x better visually than any other TCG as well the game play was solid.

Not sure what game you are speaking of from SOE but This is what I'm waiting for, someone to integrate a TCG with a chess board so to speak, Replace the cards with actual figures whom are fully animated . I really enjoy the strategy and sometimes luck of card games but the bland settings really ruin it for me.
    • Aloha Mr Hand ! 

• IncomparableIncomparable Member UncommonPosts: 1,138
    THe reviews online talk about their being a pay wall, and no card trading, and needing a lot of luck to get cards people want with buying random boxes.

Seems pretty harsh for a card game.

I am aware RL magic is similar in concept but the reviews are quite harsh and people seem distassified.

I mean lets say someone spends $20 dollars, will they get a complete pack at that point, or will they have to spend much more?

The reviews do make it seem quite bad tbh.

“Write bad things that are done to you in sand, but write the good things that happen to you on a piece of marble”

• ananitananit Member RarePosts: 293

THe reviews online talk about their being a pay wall, and no card trading, and needing a lot of luck to get cards people want with buying random boxes.

Seems pretty harsh for a card game.

I am aware RL magic is similar in concept but the reviews are quite harsh and people seem distassified.

I mean lets say someone spends $20 dollars, will they get a complete pack at that point, or will they have to spend much more?

The reviews do make it seem quite bad tbh.

you can buy and sell cards though the steam marketplace.
    as far as i can tell you get 10 packs, two 40 cards starter decks and 5 event tickets with your $20 base game.
    business model seems weird though, no way to get new cards through farming without paying.
    you can do phantom draft for free (cards don't get added to your collection but you get to experience the draft aspect of the game for free and get better at it.)

once you are good at drafting you can use your event tickets to do a 'real' draft event (the cards you draft are added to your collection.) and hopefully go infinite in there. at 3 wins, you essentially refund your entry cost.

and then you can either sell your extra cards to buy event tickets ($4.95 for 5 tickets) or trade 20 extra cards of any rarity for 1 ticket.

all of that was from a google search as i haven't bought the game yet.

all the steam not recommended reviews seem to be people that didn't do their research before buying the game and therefore thought it would be a classic buy to play title which the game was never advertised as.
    and then you have the people that didn't get the reward from buying the game and somehow thought it would be smart to put a negative review before contacting support.

all in all though, even the negative reviews seem to reach the consensus that the game in itself is good but they don't like the business model.
    Incomparable
  • rertezrertez Member UncommonPosts: 230
    Wizardry said:
    Try MTG Arena and forget MTGO. It's a very promising modern F2P version of Magic in open beta with no further account wipes expected. You can download it and play it for free.

It's visually appealing with really nice mythic rare animations and great Twitch overlay support. There are weekly rotating formats and events in the game with different limited and constructed formats including Standard and Singleton.

New players receive 15 different preconstructed decks (5 monocolored at start and 10 dual-colored as daily rewards) and there are easy ways to get free packs, free cards and quick draft spots by just playing the game without spending real money. During drafts you get to keep all the cards you pick and you can collect premium currency by playing quick drafts that cost ingame gold so that you can play competitive drafts and sealed that otherwise would cost real money. MTGA is the cheapest way to play real Magic.
    itchmon
  • Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,768
    Looking into this, I was seeing a lot of big Hearthstone and MTG players saying this game was awesome, but now I'm a bit confused. So you pay 20 for the game, which only nets you some boosters, and draft tickets, but there's no way to physically earn more cards in game, you straight up have to buy them?

If that is so, then Valve may have messed up pretty big. The appeal to a lot of the online CCG's is the fact that you are able to grind out packs still, and be able to be somewhat viable without having to spend money if you are willing to put in the time. If they essentially put a paywall up to even start playing, and on top of that have no card earning ability in game, then that's kind of a problem.
  • HashbrickHashbrick Member RarePosts: 1,851
    I think people forget about the marketplace inclusion. You can sell your cards, that point alone is why you don't get free cards and boosters. It essentially is the same as playing a real product TCG. You have to invest in it to play it and that is the marketing behind it.
    [[ DEAD ]] - Funny - I deleted my account on the site using the cancel account button.  Forum user is separate and still exists with no way of deleting it. Delete it admins. Do it, this ends now.
  • xybedoutxybedout Member UncommonPosts: 58

thunderC said:

Not sure what game you are speaking of from SOE but This is what I'm waiting for, someone to integrate a TCG with a chess board so to speak, Replace the cards with actual figures whom are fully animated . I really enjoy the strategy and sometimes luck of card games but the bland settings really ruin it for me.

Check out Shardbound. Still in early access but looking quite nice, graphics wise. It has a board/grid you can move units around on. You play cards to spawn new units or perform actions.

I used to love Etherlords but it is quite dated now though :/