Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Cardboard “disc”

2»

Comments

• VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888
    edited November 2018
    Quizzical said:
    Wizardry said:
    People just now figuring out this was a huge corner cutting game ..haha,no wonder devs have such high sales.
    What nonsense.  Disks don't have corners to cut.  </sarcasm>
    They've been very successful at cutting corners :)

• ConstantineMerusConstantineMerus Member EpicPosts: 3,338
    Grunty said:
    Think of those who ordered the disc to avoid downloading the whole thing. If it was me, I would've eat the damned thing out of frustration. 
    When FO4 came out a few people here laughed at me because I refused to buy the store copy with a disc that had only 1/4th of the game on it.   Today y'all are laughing at the same publisher for handing out a piece of cardboard with some numbers on it in a storage box.

What's the difference?
    Uh I don't know what you got mate, but when I got my Fallout 4 disc it had the whole game on it. 
    [Deleted User]
    Constantine, The Console Poster

• "One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out of touch with their instinctive selves." - Carl Jung
  • GruntyGrunty Member EpicPosts: 8,657
    edited November 2018
    Grunty said:
    Think of those who ordered the disc to avoid downloading the whole thing. If it was me, I would've eat the damned thing out of frustration. 
    When FO4 came out a few people here laughed at me because I refused to buy the store copy with a disc that had only 1/4th of the game on it.   Today y'all are laughing at the same publisher for handing out a piece of cardboard with some numbers on it in a storage box.

What's the difference?
    Uh I don't know what you got mate, but when I got my Fallout 4 disc it had the whole game on it. 
    If you don't like this supporting source there are others.   5 GB on disk. 19 GB download.

https://www.giantbomb.com/forums/fallout-4-694375/frustrating-fallout-4-retail-pc-copy-on-single-dvd-1785997/

"Bethesda didn't publish this fact, doesn't include it in their product information, and didn't inform their support staff."
    ConstantineMerus
    "I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams
  • ConstantineMerusConstantineMerus Member EpicPosts: 3,338
    Grunty said:
    Grunty said:

What's the difference?
    If you don't like this supporting source there are others.   5 GB on disk. 19 GB download.

https://www.giantbomb.com/forums/fallout-4-694375/frustrating-fallout-4-retail-pc-copy-on-single-dvd-1785997/

"Bethesda didn't publish this fact, doesn't include it in their product information, and didn't inform their support staff."
    Wow I didn't know that. Well I only got the PS4 version. Well that sucks almost the same. So not much difference besides this time ithe situation got so bad that it is almost comical. 
    Constantine, The Console Poster

• "One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out of touch with their instinctive selves." - Carl Jung
  • rertezrertez Member UncommonPosts: 230
    edited November 2018
    It's funny how publishers started to focus on printing money and now... they literally print games too. This is the evolution of the game industry in a nutshell.
  • TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297
    I get the appeal of having something in your hands.. but games are just code and it's online only so the disc is absolutely useless. If it's a single player game then a disc would be good in case it's no longer available to download in the future for whatever reason. With online only games though, when it's gone, it's gone.

Download speeds are faster than disc drive read speeds now so it would take longer to install it using a disc than it would to download it. I know not everyone has broadband that fast yet but the majority do.

I don't think I've put a disc in my PC for over 6 years and the only time I used one in the 5 years before that were for a fresh windows install but that's on a USB drive now too.
    I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,985
    edited November 2018
    I get the appeal of having something in your hands.. but games are just code and it's online only so the disc is absolutely useless. If it's a single player game then a disc would be good in case it's no longer available to download in the future for whatever reason. With online only games though, when it's gone, it's gone.

Download speeds are faster than disc drive read speeds now so it would take longer to install it using a disc than it would to download it. I know not everyone has broadband that fast yet but the majority do.

I don't think I've put a disc in my PC for over 6 years and the only time I used one in the 5 years before that were for a fresh windows install but that's on a USB drive now too.
    Again... they shipped a separate steelbook case to store the “disc” in.  That’s what really made me realize how ludicrous the situation was.

And for the record this was clearly labeled as a physical copy of the game with a separate option for digital.  

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/fallout-76-windows/6255254.p?skuId=6255254

SteelBook - Fallout 76 Blu-Ray Case - Brown
    SteelBook - Fallout 76 Blu-Ray Case - Brown
    Venture out of your shelter and explore a postapocalyptic West Virginia with the Fallout 76 SteelBook Blu-ray case. It is a durable packaging that protects your physical copy of the game from spills and scratches. The Fallout 76 SteelBook has a map on the inside cover for a stylized look at the game world.
    [Deleted User]

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,919
    The steel case was a brilliant 'up yours' with a comedic flair.
    Slapshot1188ConstantineMeruscheyane[Deleted User]BeansnBread

• RobsolfRobsolf Member RarePosts: 4,607
    Torval said:

Maybe they figured a little more bad press would keep them in the news. Were they really baked when they said something so stupid? Nope, it's the old "blame it on a contractor" spiel.

This is the twitter response:

The Bethesda Store's Support member is a temporary contract employee and not directly employed by Bethesda or Bethesda Game Studios. We apologize to the customer who took the time to reach out. The support response was incorrect and not in accordance with our conduct policy.

How about this? They shouldn't have shipped out a cheap ass piece of crap as a substitute in the first place. Bethesda has learnt no lessons yet. Is it the contract support employees fault Bethesda tried to screw their most devoted customers? No, it isn't. What a bunch of assholes.
    Fortunately for me, I learned my lesson when I bought the Fallout 3 collector's edition.  Instead of getting the super awesome detailed and painted Pipboy clock they showed on the website, I got a molded green "breaks if you sneeze on it" 2 dollar toy, with a digital clock that you can't plug in, that devours 4 AA batteries in less than 2 hours.

After that, never again.
    [Deleted User]Iselin
  • TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,164
    lol the secret decoder ring
    [Deleted User]Robsolf
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• KumaponKumapon Member EpicPosts: 1,563
    Torval said:

Maybe they figured a little more bad press would keep them in the news. Were they really baked when they said something so stupid? Nope, it's the old "blame it on a contractor" spiel.

This is the twitter response:

The Bethesda Store's Support member is a temporary contract employee and not directly employed by Bethesda or Bethesda Game Studios. We apologize to the customer who took the time to reach out. The support response was incorrect and not in accordance with our conduct policy.

How about this? They shouldn't have shipped out a cheap ass piece of crap as a substitute in the first place. Bethesda has learnt no lessons yet. Is it the contract support employees fault Bethesda tried to screw their most devoted customers? No, it isn't. What a bunch of assholes.

Mods will fix it, just mod it with your own Canvas material!
    [Deleted User]Robsolf[Deleted User]
  • RobsolfRobsolf Member RarePosts: 4,607
    Tiller said:
    "Don't forget to drink your Ovaltine!"
    [Deleted User]TillerSovrath
  • kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,919
    Robsolf said:
    Tiller said:
    Milo over Ovaltine everyday and twice on Sundays.

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,985
    Robsolf said:
    Tiller said:
    Warm Ovaltine at night.
    Ice cold Tang in the morning!

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,981
    I think with the carboard disc Bethesda have summoned up the essence of what post-apocalypse means, it is conveying the loss of promise as you opened that package expecting a real DVD. You also get a feeling of the loss of hope for our future, the permanency of a plastic civilisation replaced by a carboard one that will fade over time.

Either that or it is just a cheapo arse gimmick.
  • TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,164
    eilsa119 said:
    When Fallout 4 was released, some people teased me because I chose not to purchase the retail copy with just a quarter of the game on the disc. Now, it's interesting to see the same publisher being criticized for including a piece of cardboard with numbers in a storage box. Keesta discount codes

Wow a bit of work just to share a fucking spam link. GTFO bot.
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter