Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Final Curtain Falls Today for WildStar - MMORPG.com

Comments

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,992
    I never played but it’s always sad to see a gaming community scatter.
    Good homes to go to though from Lotro to ESO.
  • gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    *waits on private servers*
    Only if there are enough people to create and play on any such servers (assuming the code was available etc.)

Wildstar's major failing is that from day 1 it never appealed to that many people.
  • SoulutionSoulution Member UncommonPosts: 9
    Why do people say finally? Did a failing MMORPG that just happened to be a great MMORPG at its core really bother you that much? Did someone force you to log-in to that MMORPG and play for 12 hours a day as long as the MMORPG was running? I only played WildStar for a couple months at launch, and a bit here and there after it went F2P. And frankly even with all of its failings and mismanagement it was a better MMORPG than half of the "successful" ones out there - especially the F2P ones. I'll always feel sorry for the game and for what it could of been. It had terrible luck, bad management, and a few horrible in-game ideas that never should of made it into the game. If it were only one of those it probably could have been turned around. But the end-game made a terrible first impression for so many people that it never got a second chance. For that I am sad. By the time it went F2P the dev team had been shrunk so much that there was no realistic way to keep up with the content crunch, I guess they were hoping it would be a huge success and they could re-hire some people. But that first impression stuck too hard for most people to even consider giving it another chance, and even worse those people had also influenced other potential first-timers into thinking it wasn't worth giving a chance. RIP to WildStar a game that could have easily been one of the greats and the best action MMORPG, one of the top 5 successful MMORPGs running for years to come, and cheers to everyone who enjoyed it over the years.
    Asch126ApollosWillJilyna
  • Karnage69Karnage69 Member UncommonPosts: 323
    edited November 2018
    I don't know what to say any more. My favorite games are always getting shut down. Vanguard, Warhammer, Wildstar, Marvel Heroes, Hellgate London, City of Heroes, hell I even really enjoyed Dragomon Hunter. What is my issue? I always love the games that fail, I just don't understand. I feel really lost these days. I might go back to playing Project99.

(I know this may have sounded sarcastic, but I am being honest, I loved these games and am truly sad they are gone.)
    AlverantBlaze_Rocker
  • KnightFalzKnightFalz Member EpicPosts: 4,172

Sovrath said:

Should have never closed CoH :p

Because that would have saved Wildstar?

Because City of Heroes was making so much money that they could have supported it and Wildstar?

Reasoning isn't a hallmark of the fanatical.
    Dakeru
  • RawizRawiz Member UncommonPosts: 584
    All I will say is I'm sad for those who still play and love the game. Losing something so important is not easily forgotten.

Also big thumbs down to those who try to ridicule these players.
    AlverantBlaze_RockerTacticalZombehJilyna
  • KnightFalzKnightFalz Member EpicPosts: 4,172

Sovrath said:

Because City of Heroes was making so much money that they could have supported it and Wildstar?

When they closed CoH when it had plenty of active players they ditched it so their customers would focus on their newer mmorpgs like Wildstar. It would have probably been more profitable as well to improvement CoH and had alot more concurrent players than Wildstar as well as a more committed community.

They closed CoH after it failed to meet earning expectations, despite an attempt to generate more by first switching to a mixed f2p/subscription model.

Player activity alone isn't enough, especially when it no longer even directly relates to revenue with the game is no long subscription only.

The money needs to be there, and it has to be enough by the provider's standards for them to keep a game in operation... not by the standards of those who collectively didn't put enough cash on the table when they had the opportunity to do so.
    Nepheth
  • H0urg1assH0urg1ass Member EpicPosts: 2,380
    Out of all the MMO's in existence, there's only one that I wish would die and burn in a fire, and this one wasn't it.

Although it wasn't necessarily for me when it came out, I always intended to give it another go at some point... then four years slipped by.

Still can't believe it came out four years ago, which means it spent less time being an active game than it did in development, which is the curse of MMORPG's.  Why would a game studio spend five years developing something that might not make it, when they can throw together a hero shooter in under a year?
    SBFord[Deleted User]
  • AlverantAlverant Member RarePosts: 1,320
    edited November 2018
    I was online a few days ago and saw less than six people chatting away in the nexus channel. I wonder how many people will be on tonight. ETA WERE on tonight. I just tried to log in one last time and the realms are down. RIP Wildstar. You tried your best but your combat just wasn't fun. I may never play another MMO again. They just keep closing down.
    Blaze_Rocker

Sovrath said:

When they closed CoH when it had plenty of active players they ditched it so their customers would focus on their newer mmorpgs like Wildstar. It would have probably been more profitable as well to improvement CoH and had alot more concurrent players than Wildstar as well as a more committed community.

They closed CoH after it failed to meet earning expectations, despite an attempt to generate more by first switching to a mixed f2p/subscription model.

Player activity alone isn't enough, especially when it no longer even directly relates to revenue with the game is no long subscription only.

The money needs to be there, and it has to be enough by the provider's standards for them to keep a game in operation... not by the standards of those who collectively didn't put enough cash on the table when they had the opportunity to do so.

NCSoft's expectations weren't reasonable but CoH was still generating a profit and the bad PR from shutting it down while still profitable kept many people from playing their other games in the US like WildStar. Maybe letting CoH live wouldn't have prevented Wildstar closing when it did but it wouldn't have hurt. Fans have long memories.
    Blaze_Rocker
  • TokkenTokken Member EpicPosts: 3,551
    Bye Bye, Waste of my time. Don't let the door hit you in the butt on your way out! lol
    DeadSpock

Proud MMORPG.com member since March 2004!  Make PvE GREAT Again!

• Reaperman69Reaperman69 Member UncommonPosts: 28
    mobile port incoming!
    DeadSpockBlaze_Rocker
    Karnage69 said:
    I don't know what to say any more. My favorite games are always getting shut down. Vanguard, Warhammer, Wildstar, Marvel Heroes, Hellgate London, City of Heroes, hell I even really enjoyed Dragomon Hunter. What is my issue? I always love the games that fail, I just don't understand. I feel really lost these days. I might go back to playing Project99.

(I know this may have sounded sarcastic, but I am being honest, I loved these games and am truly sad they are gone.)
    I'm with you. Six years ago when CoH shut down I drifted around to different MMOs then gave Wildstar a try. It was fun for a while and maybe if I found a good guild I would have stuck with it longer. But it didn't click for some reason. I always meant to go back and I did after it went F2P but still couldn't find a guild. So much potential wasted and now gone forever.

I don't think I'll play another MMO after this. I may try City of Titans or Ship of Heroes depending on which one comes out first but I think overall I've moved on from MMOs and many computer games entirely. I have other things now for my time. Maybe one day....
  • xxcbzxxxxcbzxx Member CommonPosts: 1
    Hi All,

The game failed cause they failed to acknowledge cheaters in PVP especially back then, PVP win trades were dominant. People quit due to PVP being a complete mess.

Would be nice if they release the server code so that some of us can setup a private server for friends and enjoy the actual stuff while most of us boycotting Blizzard for their Diablo Immortal announcement.

Thunder073
  • rodarinrodarin Member EpicPosts: 2,611
    never even tried it. But it was one of the many 'wow killers'.
  • BakgrindBakgrind Member UncommonPosts: 423
    When Wildstar was first announced it had so much potential. Many mistakes and stumbles later and we come to this sad end. Depressing really and I never even liked the game. Oh well this genre is dying and I predict SW Tor will be the next game on the chopping block.

But hey, look on the bright side, we'll still have Fortnite..... Fuck.
    SWTOR could be the next MMORPG to shut down, but I suspect that it will get moved over to EA's Origin Access program. That is assuming that even if they have to cut down the number of servers to one or two and that  the licensing fee can still be payed along  with a decent profit being made from the Cartel Market.  We really will just have to wait until 2023 to see what Disney will do with that IP.
    [Deleted User]
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    I tried it,a very generic game that i found nothing appealing about it.
    The WS team won't care too much,i am sure they made a lot of money initially and made sure to shut it down before taking any losses.
    This is yet another case of owning a game that w/o their servers nobody can play.Well after reading albeit on the apparent Fallout76 ordeal,as i have mentioned many times,we don't actually own ANY of the games we supposedly purchased.
    Here is the sketchy part,so we only apparently buy a license to use the product,well then what about that license when we can no longer use the product?
    If i remember correctly all of these games have lawyers put in some fine print basically HIDDEN that says something about they can void your right to play the game at any time without reason.

That is why to this day 19-20 years later,the structure of UT99 allows us to make our own servers and do with them as we please.How times have changed,now devs won't let you even remotely touch their work and if the game shuts down.TOO BAD.

Thunder073

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    edited November 2018
    It looks like "WoW in Space" finally died when WoW actually went into space. Then you come back home in wow and are greeted with boars that are more powerful than space demons.
    Blaze_RockerKalebGrayson
  • sneakerz007sneakerz007 Member UncommonPosts: 95
    I'm glad this happened. It goes to show you that the masses have power over developers. they talked so much crap about how this game was only for elitist and not casual players and when the poop hit the fan they all fled their own game. Good riddance. i bought this game pre-ordered and did everything i could to help these guys. where are those arrogant guys now?  so many promises. bahhh. i know ppl will hate for what im saying but i feel it s true what i say.
  • deniterdeniter Member RarePosts: 1,430
    Even though i disliked the gameplay and arcade game features Wildstar was one of the most polished and complete MMOs i have played for a long time, and for that reason i feel sad it had to end like this.

Had they released it for consoles only, the game would probably still be around. You know the feeling when you play a PC version of a popular console title and how awkward controls and movement feel? Sadly, all that was heavily present in WS.
  • Blaze_RockerBlaze_Rocker Member UncommonPosts: 370
    Alverant said:

Sovrath said:

NCSoft's expectations weren't reasonable but CoH was still generating a profit and the bad PR from shutting it down while still profitable kept many people from playing their other games in the US like WildStar. Maybe letting CoH live wouldn't have prevented Wildstar closing when it did but it wouldn't have hurt. Fans have long memories.

Pretty much this. NCsoft doesn't care about its customers ... NCsoft cares about its customers money.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. NCsoft could have allowed the Issue-in-progress to hit the live servers and then chosen to shut down future development, laid off all of the unnecessary staff at Paragon Studios and let the game run in maintenance mode for years to come. They could have eliminated their overhead problems that were eating up all of the profits and satisfied the players by keeping their game of choice alive. It would have been a financial and public relations win. Instead, good old NCsoft killed another game and pissed off a lot of people that might have otherwise been very willing to try Wildstar, many of whom swore-off playing another game that had anything to do with the company that killed their baby. NCsoft has no idea how to treat people.

The reality is that NCsoft has no honor, only shareholders.

I've got a feevah, and the only prescription... is more cowbell.

• TheScavengerTheScavenger Member EpicPosts: 3,321
    edited November 2018
    Not surprising

They said their game was made for the 1% top WoW raiders
    They also insulted casual players
    They also insulted WoW players

Of course no one wants (and in WS case, wanted) to play a game that the creators insult them with
    Post edited by TheScavenger on
    craftseeker

My Skyrim, Fallout 4, Starbound and WoW + other game mods at MODDB: 

https://www.moddb.com/mods/skyrim-anime-overhaul

• Asch126Asch126 Member RarePosts: 543
    Soulution said:
    Why do people say finally? Did a failing MMORPG that just happened to be a great MMORPG at its core really bother you that much? Did someone force you to log-in to that MMORPG and play for 12 hours a day as long as the MMORPG was running? I only played WildStar for a couple months at launch, and a bit here and there after it went F2P. And frankly even with all of its failings and mismanagement it was a better MMORPG than half of the "successful" ones out there - especially the F2P ones. I'll always feel sorry for the game and for what it could of been. It had terrible luck, bad management, and a few horrible in-game ideas that never should of made it into the game. If it were only one of those it probably could have been turned around. But the end-game made a terrible first impression for so many people that it never got a second chance. For that I am sad. By the time it went F2P the dev team had been shrunk so much that there was no realistic way to keep up with the content crunch, I guess they were hoping it would be a huge success and they could re-hire some people. But that first impression stuck too hard for most people to even consider giving it another chance, and even worse those people had also influenced other potential first-timers into thinking it wasn't worth giving a chance. RIP to WildStar a game that could have easily been one of the greats and the best action MMORPG, one of the top 5 successful MMORPGs running for years to come, and cheers to everyone who enjoyed it over the years.
    I always love blocks of text from people who have no idea what they're talking about.
    Blaze_Rocker
  • Ramonski7Ramonski7 Member UncommonPosts: 2,662
    Oh well. Never liked the art style they had going. Tried to give it a go but could never get over that graphic hump.

"Small minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas."

• hakuryu05hakuryu05 Member UncommonPosts: 1
    Wildstar was the best MMO I've ever played. Despite what everyone says. I found it bloody fun, goddamn funny and very very fun to play. Progression and dungeons and the world and characters and everything. There wasn't a single flaw for me honestly. Sad no one had the patience to play it properly. I pre-ordered the game and never did regret it one bit. Goodbye and Farewell Wildstar!!!. I will never in my life forget you.
    H0urg1ass