Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

CoE selling Legendary items for straight cash also unretiring Duke and Count packages

Comments

• AnOldFartAnOldFart Member RarePosts: 562
    Apparently the EU legendary crap sold out within 1 minute.

btw IF the game is released and you fancy playing on an eu server, feel free to hit me up, I am baron/mayor pledge. I'm going to set up in a small farming village, I will also be creating empty buildings for players to take and then build up their own farms.

Oh and the mayor title will be up for election, I don't really want it. Just want leaving alone to breed animals.

Yanocchibwwianakiev
  • MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    edited November 2018
    AnOldFart said:

btw IF the game is released and you fancy playing on an eu server, feel free to hit me up, I am baron/mayor pledge. I'm going to set up in a small farming village, I will also be creating empty buildings for players to take and then build up their own farms.

Oh and the mayor title will be up for election, I don't really want it. Just want leaving alone to breed animals.

If Caspian's nobles were all like you, his plans for reserving names and selecting maps would've gone far, far better.

Alas, you are the exception, not the rule (on the internet in general, not just backers of CoE).
    YanocchiSlapshot1188Gdemami

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    edited November 2018
    Wizardry said:
    I also do not understand the mentality of just buying things in a video game.The purpose is to PLAY the game.This type of mentality is simply turning gaming into a place to pull out the credit card,how is that considered gaming?

I can see it now,LeBron James about to dunk the basketball but ...WAIT,he has to stop,pull out his credit card and make a p2w transaction to make sure the basketball goes in and doesn't miss.
    I think it's because people in general are collectors by nature.  They love to accumulate stuff.  From the lady who had fifty bikes in her garage because she bought her kids bikes every year for their birthdays even though they didn't care for bikes to the homeless person I saw pushing seven shopping carts of his stuff down the street. 

It's the same way in video games.  People collect outfits, mounts, pets, titles, ships, you name it and they will collect it.  As to earning it in game there appears to be a lot of people who have money to burn and for them it's either take a few weeks to earn it in game or buy it in the cash shop and parade it around right away. 

Just like when I was growing up.  People had to have designers clothes and the latest Air Jordan's but never even considered having a savings account.
    Yanocchi

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• YanocchiYanocchi Member UncommonPosts: 677
    AnOldFart said:

If Caspian's nobles were all like you, his plans for reserving names and selecting maps would've gone far, far better.

Alas, you are the exception, not the rule (on the internet in general, not just backers of CoE).

Great pitch from the Old Fart. :smile: 
    If I ever decided to try Chronicles of Elyria, I'd love to go and live in his town. However, I'd probably end up spending no more than $20 on the game and only if it was really good. I am very skeptical that a high-quality immersive modern game can be produced with a sum below $100 million. Star Citizen has set the bar and quality standards very high. I'm more of a fantasy fan but will switch to sci-fi because there is nothing similar to Star Citizen in the fantasy genre in the foreseeable future.

I have to say that Chronicles of Elyria does have one great game systems designer in their team. Snipehunter had been the lead systems designer working on Revival and was hired to join the CoE team a year after Revival had been cancelled. That man knows how to make a good MEOW... or at least a concept of one (Multiplayer Evolving Online World). However, his talent would be unleashed much more appropriately in a company with a bigger budget.
    Octagon7711Gdemami
    Baldur's Gate Online - Video Trailer
    * more info, screenshots and videos here

AnOldFart said:

I have my moments of being a dick ask @Slapshot1188.
    But I always said that would be my plan for the game, and I would rather have 10 people I've helped set up so I have people to talk to in game then have a massive setup for myself and no one to play with.
    I mean why play online if you you want to play solo...
    MadFrenchieOctagon7711MendelKyleranThahar
    Wizardry said:
    I also do not understand the mentality of just buying things in a video game.The purpose is to PLAY the game.This type of mentality is simply turning gaming into a place to pull out the credit card,how is that considered gaming?

I can see it now,LeBron James about to dunk the basketball but ...WAIT,he has to stop,pull out his credit card and make a p2w transaction to make sure the basketball goes in and doesn't miss.
    I think it's because people in general are collectors by nature.  They love to accumulate stuff.  From the lady who had fifty bikes in her garage because she bought her kids bikes every year for their birthdays even though they didn't care for bikes to the homeless person I saw pushing seven shopping carts of his stuff down the street. 

It's the same way in video games.  People collect outfits, mounts, pets, titles, ships, you name it and they will collect it.  As to earning it in game there appears to be a lot of people who have money to burn and for them it's either take a few weeks to earn it in game or buy it in the cash shop and parade it around right away. 

Just like when I was growing up.  People had to have designers clothes and the latest Air Jordan's but never even considered having a savings account.

It's such a farce that some MMORPG companies try to charge real money even for a thing like emotes, for instance, /juggle emote in Neverwinter or /iseeyou emote in Elder Scrolls Online. I was so lucky to get those two emotes for free... after some grind, of course. :trollface: Is it some marketing ploy for generation Y? A target audience who won't own a home but are supposed to exist and thrive on emojis, hemp snacks and MMORPG emotes? :error:
    Gdemami

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,927
    Yanocchi said:

I have to say that Chronicles of Elyria does have one great game systems designer in their team. Snipehunter had been the lead systems designer working on Revival and was hired to join the CoE team a year after Revival had been cancelled. That man knows how to make a good MEOW... or at least a concept of one (Multiplayer Evolving Online World). However, his talent would be unleashed much more appropriately in a company with a bigger budget.
    What work has he done that was published which demonstrates he is a great systems designer? Do you have an example of a great system you can show?

All I see from the Wiki is a few years working on RIFT.  Sure, some of his ideas sound cool, but the mark of a great systems designer is one that has taken those great ideas and implemented them in game and proven that they are just as fun in reality as they sounded.

https://chroniclesofelyria.gamepedia.com/Adam_M

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

edited November 2018
    Yanocchi said:

What work has he done that was published which demonstrates he is a great systems designer? Do you have an example of a great system you can show?

All I see from the Wiki is a few years working on RIFT.  Sure, some of his ideas sound cool, but the mark of a great systems designer is one that has taken those great ideas and implemented them in game and proven that they are just as fun in reality as they sounded.

https://chroniclesofelyria.gamepedia.com/Adam_M

Well-said, but on paper many of his designs do sound interesting and different from systems used in existing fantasy MMO games. Four years ago I followed his dev diaries and forum posts on Revival website for about a year. He did reveal at the time that previous gaming companies he worked for eventually dumbed down game systems that were designed by him and his colleagues. RIFT was supposed to be initially different than what it became. Well, it's the eternal business risks vs innovation dilemma. We'll see how it works out with crowdfunded gaming projects. Perhaps we will see some implementation of his ideas in crafting and other systems if CoE is ever released and they don't start to do shortcuts and compromises with their initial ideas. For example, the following blog for Chronicles of Elyria contains many ideas that Adam Maxwell had described earlier when working for Illfonic during the development of Revival. There were a lot of other ideas like the tag system for NPCs but it would be interesting to see in action even this crafting system alone.

Nowadays, I am all for hiding as much mathematical data as possible from players and basing as much gameplay as possible on intuition and learning to recognise subtle differences provided by visual/audio output of the game. :) Many existing fantasy MMORPGs rely way too much on displaying all sorts of mathematical data, in my new opinion. It detracts from immersion, at least in the fantasy genre, which is not supposed to emphase the feeling of "mathematical/technical engineering" in the design of its game systems. It is also simply starting to feel old school. For example, in future fantasy MMORPGs I don't want anymore to know how many ingots I need to make a sword and how many points of a certain skill I need to craft it or what chance of success I have to do it succesfully. Instead, I want to learn from trial and error and get a feeling for what works and what doesn't when forging a sword. Does the sword glow too much or too dark during a certain phase of the forging process? Only a player who has attempted it in the past and learnt from trial and error will have a "feel" for it. Adam Maxwell seems to be a supporter of this kind of approach to game design in fantasy multiplayer games. However, this approach requires a really big budget, in my opinion, for the game to feel immersive enough. Less numbers and more intuitive interaction and input/output with the game world. More emphasis, depth and subtlety in graphics/animations, sounds and interaction with the game world.

Edit: I'd also like to add that Star Citizen seems to be going in a similar direction with some of its game systems. I got such an impression at least from the dev blogs describing ship repair and mineral mining. Players will have to manage a process actively and at least partially based on intutition and visual and audio output. I guess the main principle is that if a task can't be outsourced too easily to a bot in a certain game system and remains always a bit unpredictable and challenging in its gameplay execution, then it should retain its fun factor for a longer time for many veteran players who get bored easily. 

I have a slightly different take.  I'd prefer that my character's success or failure really depend on THEIR skill rather than my own.  So I am actually OK with my CHARACTER knowing it will take 5 ingots to make something.   Maybe it should start out at 3-8... and as I get more skill it narrows the window until I master the process and know the best amount to mix in.   

I really do not want my grandmaster blacksmith's success to rely on whether I click a button at a certain time on a certain pixel...  I am not saying your preference is less valid than my own, just  explaining how I think about these things.

YanocchiAnOldFart

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    Why not just sell an "I win" button? 

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    cheyane said:
    Rhoklaw said:
    This shit makes me laugh. All I can do is sympathize for all those who got duped into this P2W shit storm before it was so blatant and obvious. It's almost like Caspian is trying to one up Chris Roberts in the "Biggest Dunce" category.
    Ahh the difference is one dunce is however richer I mean by far richer than the other. Bet Caspian looks at Chris Roberts with stars in his eyes.
    His picture is on the wall, complete with simulated god-rays and angel choirs
    Amathe said:

Well I think at this point the silliest thing they can do is close the shop at launch like they claim they will do.  It just makes no sense.  You can't be just a little pregnant.   They already opened the barn doors and are selling advantages left and right, including items that you can just cash in post-launch...

Kyleran

• mystichazemystichaze Member UncommonPosts: 378
    edited November 2018
    AnOldFart said:
    AnOldFart said:

I have my moments of being a dick ask @Slapshot1188.
    But I always said that would be my plan for the game, and I would rather have 10 people I've helped set up so I have people to talk to in game then have a massive setup for myself and no one to play with.
    I mean why play online if you you want to play solo...
    Any titled player in CoE that tries to go it alone isn't going to get very far and most likely find themselves removed from their positions. As much as many of you think CoE is pay to win you can't possibly succeed/win without helping those within your communities prosper and reach their goals.

For example as a Count, my County won't be successful unless I work with the Mayors and help them succeed in their goals in the form of finances, infrastructure, resources and trade routes. There is no way I would be able to go it alone. 

CoE isn't being designed for the single-player experience like ESO, Neverwinter and other MMOs out there. 

Each Tier of Leadership has Responsibilities to those beneath them and without doing their jobs effectively their domains are bound to fail.  In addition, well being unproductive they won't gain enough Story Points in order to possess and heir upon their death, wherein they also lose everything. 

Quoted from the Wiki..  https://chroniclesofelyria.gamepedia.com/Social_Classes#Counts.2FCountesses

" Responsibilities of Nobility

Kings/Queens

The Kings/Queens are responsible for steering their kingdom and leading them to success. That is, it's they decide whether the kingdom will focus on research & technology, business and commerce, or military endeavors. Through their Kingdom Management UI, they can drive the direction of the kingdom. This uses NPCs or players to communicate to the dukes and counts, so they can drive toward that goal. Also, they set laws and taxes for the kingdom using contracts.

Dukes/Duchesses

Dukes/Duchesses set laws/taxes for their dutchy, and are responsible for paying dues to the ruler of their kingdom. They're also responsible for law enforcement, military, and the defense of their duchy. They manage the Strongholds / Castles / Outposts, they assign sheriffs to each of the counties, and they appoint judges to the courthouses of the cities. They can use their map to keep track of crime rates and the sizes of their defensive structures, and in war, the dukes raise their armies and lead them into battle.

Counts/Countesses

The Counts/Countesses are responsible for resource management, building up settlements within their counties, establishing wealth and power for the kingdom, and encouraging research. Their UI is about creating trade routes, identifying where resources are being gathered, and funneling the money to/from the settlements. "

• AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    Amathe said:

Well I think at this point the silliest thing they can do is close the shop at launch like they claim they will do.  It just makes no sense.  You can't be just a little pregnant.   They already opened the barn doors and are selling advantages left and right, including items that you can just cash in post-launch...

You used my I Win button. Kindly pay the fee in my cash shop. :)
    Slapshot1188KyleranMadFrenchie

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

Amathe said:
    Amathe said:

You used my I Win button. Kindly pay the fee in my cash shop. :)
    You mean P2B of course! Just because you can buy yourself a Kingdom, Legendary buildings, Boats, Armor, Weapons, Resources... blah blah... with real cash does not make it P2W!

KyleranAbimor

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    I don't know which is worse, that he sells this shit or that people buy it.
    AbimorKyleran[Deleted User]craftseekerGdemamiNilden
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• WBadgerWBadger Member RarePosts: 371
    Here's what they should do.  Take out all of the outhouses in the game except for one.  Brand it as legendary, sell it for 5 grand; and then the owner locks it off so everybody in the game has to accidentally wipe with poison ivy.  Profit.
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,373
    Iselin said:
    I don't know which is worse, that he sells this shit or that people buy it.
    Yes.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• StaalBurgherStaalBurgher Member UncommonPosts: 265
    The new items must really be working. Big uptick in funds inflow. Shame I missed the 1 November reading.

edited December 2018
    Not surprised they earnt 5k just on 4 items.

Good to see they passed the 5m mark too
    Yeah... the secret sauce is apparently selling Duke and Count accounts.  As predicted they are extending the sale of those... until they transform into “something better”  ext week. 

https://chroniclesofelyria.com/forum/topic/29566/november-2018-promo-comes-to-an-end#post323918

• WBadgerWBadger Member RarePosts: 371
    That awkward feeling when the only people playing are nobility so they don't have serfs to work the land. 
    MadFrenchieSlapshot1188KylerananemoScot
  • CryomatrixCryomatrix Member EpicPosts: 3,223
    I actually don't mind at all that the game is funding itself this way. I made a post awhile back that had something similar. 

The truth is that life isn't fair, it never was, it never will be, people get born into rich families and people get born into poor families. People are born healthy and people are not. This game will simulate that, I actually like the way it is going. 

Not everyone is supposed to be a hero in a game, isn't that what people want? Everyone is different. This game looks to be innovative and interesting. I'll definitely keep my eye on it. 

If someone wants to pay 5k to be amazing in this game then I'm all for it. P2W has never actually offended me, perhaps it is because I can afford it if i wanted to or perhaps I just think there are a million other games to play, who cares about P2W. I look at it like a feature, if i don't like it, i don't play it. 

Also, don't make fun of the way people spend their money on what you think is stupid. I don't look at a person who buys a 60k rolex as being stupid  . . . I mean i'd never do it, even if i was a billionaire, but at the same time, if someone can afford a 60k Rolex, you got to give them credit . . . unless of course they didn't earn it. 

Cryomatrix
    mystichazeStaalBurgherViper482Iselin
    Catch me streaming at twitch.tv/cryomatrix
    You can see my sci-fi/WW2 book recommendations. 
  • MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    I actually don't mind at all that the game is funding itself this way. I made a post awhile back that had something similar. 

The truth is that life isn't fair, it never was, it never will be, people get born into rich families and people get born into poor families. People are born healthy and people are not. This game will simulate that, I actually like the way it is going. 

Not everyone is supposed to be a hero in a game, isn't that what people want? Everyone is different. This game looks to be innovative and interesting. I'll definitely keep my eye on it. 

If someone wants to pay 5k to be amazing in this game then I'm all for it. P2W has never actually offended me, perhaps it is because I can afford it if i wanted to or perhaps I just think there are a million other games to play, who cares about P2W. I look at it like a feature, if i don't like it, i don't play it. 

Also, don't make fun of the way people spend their money on what you think is stupid. I don't look at a person who buys a 60k rolex as being stupid  . . . I mean i'd never do it, even if i was a billionaire, but at the same time, if someone can afford a 60k Rolex, you got to give them credit . . . unless of course they didn't earn it. 

Cryomatrix
    Video games are experiences that take us outside the confines of reality.  Nobody (or almost nobody) wants to experience class stratification in a friggin' video game just cause they have to watch the rich ride their yachts in real life.
    TEKK3NKyleranGdemamidragonlee66

• TEKK3NTEKK3N Member RarePosts: 1,115

Video games are experiences that take us outside the confines of reality.  Nobody (or almost nobody) wants to experience class stratification in a friggin' video game just cause they have to watch the rich ride their yachts in real life.
    SotA docet.