Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

CoE selling Legendary items for straight cash also unretiring Duke and Count packages

Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,927
So much for not selling Royal titles any more. They once again are selling Count and Duke packages.
https://chroniclesofelyria.com/forum/topic/29382/november-2018-store-promotion?page=1#46

Best part is they now seem to have totally embraced the Pay For Advantage mentality and aren’t even hiding it:
https://media.discordapp.net/attachments/185699098748256256/516804628445134998/unknown.png

Straight up selling “Legendary” buildings for cash.  This appears to be the first of 13 such Legendary buildings they will sell and also the “cheapest” at $1250. This just reeks of desperation.

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

GdemamiAsm0deusPsym0nWellspring[Deleted User]JamesGoblinWaanceratop001AnOldFartMrMelGibsonand 4 others.

Comments

• Nubz_UniteNubz_Unite Member UncommonPosts: 30
    edited November 2018
    https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/296184351484542976/516816250480099338/The_First_of_Its_Kind_11-26-18_CaspianSnipehunterLegendaryBuildingExpositionLocationBiomeLimitsPromo.png

here is the rest of the conversation, for anyone interested. 

With the re release of Count and Duke titles for a one week period they also announced restrictions on the amount of titles one person is allowed to have and on top of that limited the amount of multi title holders within each layer of nobility
    Edited to include link to news post: https://chroniclesofelyria.com/forum/topic/29503/solving-title-problems
    mystichaze
  • cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,048
    Rhoklaw said:
    This shit makes me laugh. All I can do is sympathize for all those who got duped into this P2W shit storm before it was so blatant and obvious. It's almost like Caspian is trying to one up Chris Roberts in the "Biggest Dunce" category.
    Ahh the difference is one dunce is however richer I mean by far richer than the other. Bet Caspian looks at Chris Roberts with stars in his eyes.
    Panther2103
    Chamber of Chains
  • TEKK3NTEKK3N Member RarePosts: 1,115
    edited November 2018
    I lost interest in this game.
    To me it's on par with SotA.
    Too much real money entering the actual game, either via assets, titles and what not.

Next step is the telethon, followed by the auction of the developer toe nails.
    Watch this space.
    GdemamiZenJellysausagemixStrizzy12Caffynated
  • MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    Unsurprising.

But at this point with crowdfunded titles, it's hard to make the case that the consumer shouldn't know better.
    Strizzy12

• WellspringWellspring Member EpicPosts: 1,464
    Worst part are the community comments on the CoE thread. All praises at the announcement of more P2W cash shop items. Seriously?! Does no one want to earn stuff in-game anymore?... SMH
    Asm0deusGdemami[Deleted User]ceratop001Viper482killerqueerInteritus
    --------------------------------------------
  • TEKK3NTEKK3N Member RarePosts: 1,115
    Worst part are the community comments on the CoE thread. All praises at the announcement of more P2W cash shop items. Seriously?! Does no one want to earn stuff in-game anymore?... SMH
    I just don't get this mentality, seriously.
    It defeat the point of playing a game.
    [Deleted User]cheyaneDragonJockey
  • Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,927
    Most of those who are left are "all in" on the pay for advantage stuff.  I had the experience of logging into some of their Discords during the Links of Elyria event.  They actually function as though these people are some nobility.  More than one conversation hovered around which noble was higher on the totem pole than some other one.  Other conversations were about whether or not they could speak to so and so or if that person was too high and they would need to talk to someone else...

That's all fine and dandy, but they also somehow believe that there will be "hundreds of thousands" of players that will show up at launch...

Just wait until there is no mad rush of peasants that show up for them to lord over and they have to turn on each other like cannibals.  The fingerpointing will be pretty epic...

mmolou[Deleted User][Deleted User]MadFrenchieGdemamiMendel[Deleted User]mikeb0817Strizzy12SlyLoKand 1 other.

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,372
    I think there's a certain MMORPG.com forum member who is actually backing this game, probably at the "Court Jester" tier I'm guessing. 

;)
    Gobstopper3D[Deleted User]

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    I remember way back a year or two before Wow launched,here was a Russian game that was all p2w and had some very notable people in the game.They truly wanted that p2w platform because it was like a cult for the rich people to flex their muscle.

Now idk how that particular castles game was billed up in their media at the time but i do know,this is NOT the game this Caspien dude was pitching to us.Just more reasons to remind ourselves,you can never trust businessmen.
    Octagon7711

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

So much for not selling Royal titles any more. They once again are selling Count and Duke packages.
    https://chroniclesofelyria.com/forum/topic/29382/november-2018-store-promotion?page=1#46

Far too much math necessary to explain what the heck they are doing and why they are doing it.

This game is going to require more spreadsheets than EVE just to play it.

Octagon7711

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    Legendary buildings?  Why can't I get the image of an outhouse out of my head?

cheyane

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    I also do not understand the mentality of just buying things in a video game.The purpose is to PLAY the game.This type of mentality is simply turning gaming into a place to pull out the credit card,how is that considered gaming?

I can see it now,LeBron James about to dunk the basketball but ...WAIT,he has to stop,pull out his credit card and make a p2w transaction to make sure the basketball goes in and doesn't miss.
    mastersam21Caffynated

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

edited November 2018
    TEKK3N said:
    I lost interest in this game.
    To me it's on par with SotA.
    Too much real money entering the actual game, either via assets, titles and what not.

Next step is the telethon, followed by the auction of the developer toe nails.
    Watch this space.
    Actually it will probably be a lot more outrageous than SotA; unlike RG Caspian hasn't found any additional funding that we know of outside of what has been raised from the backers. 

Recall the original KSer funding was to build a proof of concept (wonder where that is?) which would draw in investors.

Without stong additional sales their burn rate will likely force them into scaling back sometime around the middle of 2019 or so. 

We know one person abruptly left during one of the recent events causing a minor disruption, expect others will leave just as part of natural churn, will be interesting to see if replacements are hired.

Slapshot1188Gdemami

Kyleran said:

Far too much math necessary to explain what the heck they are doing and why they are doing it.

But as Caspien says... it’s all guided by the principle of “love for the customer”
     ;) 

• MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    Kyleran said:

But as Caspien says... it’s all guided by the principle of “love for the customer”
     ;) 
    I'm pretty sure he meant "love for the customer...'s money".

cheyaneSlapshot1188DakeruWellspring

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

edited November 2018
    Apparently, the first Legendary sold for $1250 is the Last Oasis Tavern

[Deleted User]DragonJockey

• LokeroLokero Member RarePosts: 1,514
    Kyleran said:

Recall the original KSer funding was to build a proof of concept (wonder where that is?) which would draw in investors.
    I thought that their so-called "proof of concept" was that shallow little parkour demo they did at E3 or wherever a couple years back?

I assumed that was their visual pitch to investors.
  • TorrskTorrsk Member UncommonPosts: 295
    Count and duke titles were always going to come back. That much was basically a given. SBS has talked about bringing them back in discord over the months. Being lite version, so early backers aren't screwed over. 

Now it seems there are talks they will bring them back after domain selection for even cheaper. But just the title alone. That's going to be fun to see how that goes down.

As for the legendary buildings. I honestly can't understand who would buy it. Besides it's locked already in the map, so it be stupid for the person not to be start there. I just wonder how much EP they could have got for the same amount of money. We really know little about them, just they are written within the lore. Does that mean, other taverns around won't make as much money? Is that person going to be 100% better off? Who knows.

• anemoanemo Member RarePosts: 1,903
    It's kinda of depressing when you realize these existing means that people who would have earned such status through gameplay, will be serfs compared to those that just bought these.

Though that has been pretty much the only thing this game has been exploring it seems.

Practice doesn't make perfect, practice makes permanent.

"At one point technology meant making tech that could get to the moon, now it means making tech that could get you a taxi."

Torrsk said:
    Count and duke titles were always going to come back. That much was basically a given. SBS has talked about bringing them back in discord over the months. Being lite version, so early backers aren't screwed over. 

Now it seems there are talks they will bring them back after domain selection for even cheaper. But just the title alone. That's going to be fun to see how that goes down.

As for the legendary buildings. I honestly can't understand who would buy it. Besides it's locked already in the map, so it be stupid for the person not to be start there. I just wonder how much EP they could have got for the same amount of money. We really know little about them, just they are written within the lore. Does that mean, other taverns around won't make as much money? Is that person going to be 100% better off? Who knows.

Looking at the Store page (total raised) it appears that selling the Duke and Count packages was the secret sauce they were missing for funding.  That and straight up selling some of the other items like Guildhalls for cash.

I would not be surprised at all if he announces that the Dukes and Counts will be available for an extended period of time.  

And these Legendary Taverns are just the first step.   Now that he has found a way to sell pixels for thousands of dollars expect to see “Legendary “ items every month.

Good thing he turned down all those publishers that were trying to make him go pay 2 win with a cash shop right? ;)
    TorrskKyleran[Deleted User]Octagon7711RemyVorenderYashaX

• TorrskTorrsk Member UncommonPosts: 295
     And these Legendary Taverns are just the first step.   Now that he has found a way to sell pixels for thousands of dollars expect to see “Legendary “ items every month.

Good thing he turned down all those publishers that were trying to make him go pay 2 win with a cash shop right? ;)
    Haha yeah. It's kind of doomed at this rate. Reading this tavern is the cheapest out of the 13. Great way to milk the whales. Both NA ones were gone within minutes. EU is yet to be released, meant to whenever it's peak time for them. With OCE, we generally don't have the money. Close to 2k after exchange rate plus BS taxes. 

Got themselves nicely setup from this. Wouldn't be surprised if this first one was a test as well. Then slowly increase the values, to see how much they can really milk people. Bring out some new legendary whatever, at the same high price and start all over again. 

While I get they need money. Legendary just seems too far. Should have just left count/duke up until domain selection. Really not going to hope change people views about paying to win.
  • Nubz_UniteNubz_Unite Member UncommonPosts: 30
    anemo said:
    It's kinda of depressing when you realize these existing means that people who would have earned such status through gameplay, will be serfs compared to those that just bought these.

Though that has been pretty much the only thing this game has been exploring it seems.
    I disagree I think people who earn a "Legendary" or "Renown" tavern or anything through gameplay will be more respected from the playerbase then someone who just outright purchased it. I think it's the same for nobility at the start nobody really has a reason to respect the nobles since their own accomplishment is having insane amounts of expendable income. However someone who is able to get a title through gameplay is known to have put in the effort and garnered support to accomplish it.

@Torrsk

I agree I think the Legendary Tavern is a complete waste of money. I read the description and it just sounds like a fully decked out tavern with the bonus that
    "The Last Oasis will be featured in stories, novels, and other events both now and in the future, as Elyria's ten-year story unfolds."

• GutlardGutlard Member RarePosts: 1,019
    No wonder gamers are becoming more cynical with every passing year.... pass the Vaseline!

Gut Out!
    SpottyGekkoKyleranShaigh

What, me worry?

• k61977k61977 Member EpicPosts: 1,499
    I always say you should never wish for any game to fail, but I really find it hard not to want this one to fail hard.   This just looks like an experiment to see just how much money they can take before launching something half ass and walking away laughing all the way to the bank.
    ceratop001MendelCaffynated
  • AnOldFartAnOldFart Member RarePosts: 562
    Kyleran said:
    I think there's a certain MMORPG.com forum member who is actually backing this game, probably at the "Court Jester" tier I'm guessing. 

;)
    Me, Me its me...

And I am a baron in pledge not Jester.
    Going to be forever known as Sir Dontos Hollard
    MadFrenchieOctagon7711