Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

why isn't VR more popular?..i mean, its frikin virtual reality!!

Comments

• PhaserlightPhaserlight Member EpicPosts: 3,072
    edited November 2018
    timtrack said:
    1. Buy a $1500 VR setup
    2. Invite some friends for a night of drinks and VR roller coasters
    3. Put it away and never use it again

That's literally all it's good for right now. We're just not there yet.
    An Oculus Go is $200; standalone, no PC necessary. 

"The simple is the seal of the true and beauty is the splendor of truth" -Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar
    Authored 139 missions in Vendetta Online and 6 tracks in Distance

Xarko said:
    Because its not virtual reality, its 3d glasses. A thing that has been around for ages acually. 
    Well, no, there are many important differences; 3d glasses don't track your head movements, usually do not involve interactive media, are confined by the frame of the movie or computer screen, also will show you things in real space, don't include lenses...

It's not a fair comparison.
    craftseeker

"The simple is the seal of the true and beauty is the splendor of truth" -Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar

• OhhPaigeyOhhPaigey Member RarePosts: 1,517
    Because it's all terrible VR. Not VR most people actually want.
    [Deleted User]Phrycraftseeker
    When all is said and done, more is always said than done.
    OhhPaigey said:
    It's not all terrible:

Like @Jakdstripper mentions, the right kinds of experiences can be amazing.  I've never cried at a video game, ever, but I did in VR when experiencing Nomads.

Dreadhalls is one of the most terrifying electronic experiences ever. 

My favorite MMORPG, Vendetta Online, runs on Rift, Go, Daydream, and GVR.

I met someone from Israel in AltspaceVR and conversed in a way utterly unique to the medium. 

I explored a city of my upbringing thousands of miles away I hadn't been to in well over a decade. 

I enjoy taking 360 photos and viewing them at a later date; it's an entirely new way of capturing a memory.

So... I do actually want it. It's unique.

• JeffSpicoliJeffSpicoli Member EpicPosts: 2,849
    Every holiday season rolls around and i say This will be the year i treat myself to a Vive or Rift and then i read something negative online about how they are not updating firmware or some issue with this or some issue with that and I end up passing. 

At this point does it even make sense to buy a rift or vive, I would imagine the next gen of VR head sets will be on their way soon, no?
    • Aloha Mr Hand ! 

• XarkoXarko Member EpicPosts: 1,180
    Xarko said:
    Because its not virtual reality, its 3d glasses. A thing that has been around for ages acually. 
    Well, no, there are many important differences; 3d glasses don't track your head movements, usually do not involve interactive media, are confined by the frame of the movie or computer screen, also will show you things in real space, don't include lenses...

Yet its the most accurate one. Think of it as 3D glasses 2.0 if you like. Calling a screen attached to your face virtual reality is whats unfair to say the very least.
    [Deleted User][Deleted User]craftseeker
    thunderC said:
    Every holiday season rolls around and i say This will be the year i treat myself to a Vive or Rift and then i read something negative online about how they are not updating firmware or some issue with this or some issue with that and I end up passing. 

At this point does it even make sense to buy a rift or vive, I would imagine the next gen of VR head sets will be on their way soon, no?
    For my money, I'd wait until this time next year and have a good look at the Oculus Quest if you are thinking of taking the plunge and have patience.

It will be $400 (but you will want a good pair of headphones in addition), 6dof, wireless and self contained (no PC or phone to hook up to) and bundled with Oculus Touch.
    JeffSpicoli

• JeffSpicoliJeffSpicoli Member EpicPosts: 2,849
    thunderC said:

For my money, I'd wait until this time next year and have a good look at the Oculus Quest if you are thinking of taking the plunge and have patience.

It will be $400 (but you will want a good pair of headphones in addition), 6dof, wireless and self contained (no PC or phone to hook up to) and bundled with Oculus Touch.
    Thanks i never heard of the "Quest" good to know.
    Phaserlight
    • Aloha Mr Hand ! 

• GodeauGodeau Member UncommonPosts: 84
    Motion sickness. Find a way to permanently cure people of that then maybe, just maybe it might get popular.
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,002
    Xarko said:
    Xarko said:

Yet its the most accurate one. Think of it as 3D glasses 2.0 if you like. Calling a screen attached to your face virtual reality is whats unfair to say the very least.
    yeah but that's splitting hairs. People it's good enough. It's never going to be the holodeck, at least in the near future and not for a LOT of money.
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,967
    Where's the neighborhood VR guy anyway?  :D
    craftseeker
    "As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • ConstantineMerusConstantineMerus Member EpicPosts: 3,338
    My personal problem is the cable. I believe I'll be using a cordless one a lot more. 
    Constantine, The Console Poster

• "One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out of touch with their instinctive selves." - Carl Jung
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751
    Life is my VR...Dont need it in a video game
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    I can't stand over the ear headsets, preferring supra aural versions instead, so there's no way I'm strapping a headset over my eyes and covering them completely either.

I multitask when I game, either watching Netflix,  a second monitor, use my cell phone or even chat with my family, none of which I can do with current VR headgear.

Not interested in standing up or swinging my arms and legs around to play video games either.  

I glance at my keyboard when I type, and don't use a multi button gaming mouse because I can't operate controllers by touch alone. My thumb in particular lacks the sensitivity and I have almost no muscle memory skills.

Finally, there has been no game created yet that is VR only (or just best on it)  which is totally amazing and I absolutely want to play, especially if it comes with a heavy cost for expensive extra peripherals including a VR headset, flight stick and / or gamepads.

Makes sense though,  gameplay over graphics has always been what matters most to me, so VR by itself has very little appeal.

VR to me is very much like todays 3D movies, the 3D glasses are very annoying to a glasses wearing person like me, and does not enhance my movie experience enough to justify the additional cost.

Speaking of movies, if VR is so great why are few movies shot in a surround  / 360 format? Not enough screens to support, an issue 3D had for many years.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• Moxom914Moxom914 Member RarePosts: 731
    i have the psvr and its amazing. i cant play it because i get sick but my son loves Batman. skyrim is really good even if the graphics are outdated. some of the games that come with it are really incredible. honestly, if you havent tried it, then you really cant say much other than i dont want to wear it. the headset is light and controls are great. cords are really long so they can be moved out of the way. i had reservations but after playing it, i know its something you cant understand until you actually try it. 
    Phaserlight
  • Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,766
    I have a couple of friends who play VR games all the time. I think it's at a point now where I can probably justify the high entry cost based on how many games I want to play but I just haven't gotten around to it.

Also the reason a lot more people aren't playing in VR is the high entry cost / not enough support yet. Unless you are using strictly PSVR (which even then the entry is what 600 + if you want a pro / VR + games) you are going to spend upwards of 500$ on just a Vive, plus then you have to have a PC that can run it, so another large sum (if you don't already have a beast PC) and then on top of that if you want room scale, you need a large enough area to play. 

I have extreme motion sickness too. I can't even look at my phone while riding in a car without getting sick, I don't know if I would physically be able to handle a VR headset as I've heard they cause motion sickness pretty quick, and I'm definitely not trying to take Dramamine every time I want to play. 
  • ceratop001ceratop001 Member RarePosts: 1,594
    VR is the future. It isn't totally immersive yet. There are issues with  headsets and motion sickness. One day VR will be the norm. Many people are currently working on it. Not just games but practicable applications. Training for medical purposes and Law Enforcement. VR technology will get better, because to many people are using it for training. Anyways that's my take on it.
    [Deleted User]Lokero

• timtracktimtrack Member UncommonPosts: 541
    timtrack said:
    1. Buy a $1500 VR setup

That's literally all it's good for right now. We're just not there yet.
    An Oculus Go is $200; standalone, no PC necessary. 

1. Buy a $200 Oculus Go

:*

Phaserlight[Deleted User]JeffSpicoliKyleran
  • gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    I'm sure I shoud be able to find a SuperData forecast somewhere about how many millions are going to be sold

......... based on super algorithms and experienced focus groups so they must be right yes?
    Torval said:
    OhhPaigey said:
    Good summary. Not to knock the VR attempts or people that enjoy them, but this isn't VR as it has been imagined.

VR is like TRON, Matrix, or the many Cyberpunk novels and games where you actually connected to a different world. VR now is just "surround sound" for your eyes. It's not even real surround sound but more like digital 7.1 surround you get in headset DACs.

The industry is trying to sell us the idea of Holodecks on your head, but they're more like advanced Viewmasters.

20th Century Viewmaster 

21st Century Viewmaster

Playing with others in an online environment in current gen VR is very much like Gibson's Matrix or Tron, though: a neon, consensual hallucination of another place: 

ceratop001

• FinvegaFinvega Member RarePosts: 260
    The sim communities are much more adoptive of this... flying, racing, etc.
    JeffSpicoliPhaserlightAsm0deus
  • ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534
    errr. no. it's not. life is actual reality, not virtual ^^
    [Deleted User]

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

• alkarionlogalkarionlog Member EpicPosts: 3,584
    OG_Zorvan said:
    Thane said:
    errr. no. it's not. life is actual reality, not virtual ^^
    Explain the Kardashians then. They can't be real.  :D
    its media nothing from it is really real. they need to keep and sell something and keep most people busy with something useless who can't bring nothing to the table and then use it to manipulate then.

but serious only way VR the way its is now would work is in sims, flight or car racing, but with the extra equip for it, meaning a 360 chair with flight controls and the same for the racing

or something like this

Octagon7711Phry
    FOR HONOR, FOR FREEDOM.... and for some money.
  • GutlardGutlard Member RarePosts: 1,019
    I bought the Gen 1 Gear VR, and enjoyed all the free tech demos. I bought wireless Bluetooth controllers. A few games are fun. Face your Fears is fun to watch other peeps experience.

I get motion sick after a while, but my biggest gripe was how HOT my face got under the mask.

The Hard/Software need to get to a point where we're not hindered by cords or sickness, etc. and have enough great experiences to justify the purchase.

VR has far reaching possibilities outside of gaming also, but of course I can't wait until they reach the sweet spot on awesome gameplay.

VR tours are cool. Homemade VR pics and vids are cool. VR for the Medical industry, or Education in general would be awesome (getting closer to schools like in Ready Player One). VR for Engineering, Sports....I hope it catches on and improves and sticks around!

Gut Out!
    ceratop001PhaserlightLokero

What, me worry?

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    DMKano said:
    Welcome to Virtual Reality

looks buggy, are you playing FO76?  :p
    Phaserlight[Deleted User]Renoakuceh430[Deleted User]AlBQuirkyKyleran