Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

My mouse finally died.

QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,355
In a sense, it's not completely dead.  It is, however, unable to track well, as trying to move in a straight line leads to it shaking erratically as it zig-zags back and forth.  It could kind of be used in a pinch, as it would be better than relying on MouseKeys, but realistically, it's dead.

Which is disappointing, as it's the best mouse I've ever used.  It was made by Gearhead and didn't have a fancy name.  It also cost only $14 new.  It had only two buttons and no fancy features.  But it was comfortable to use and it just worked.  And really, getting over nine years of good use out of a $14 mouse is remarkably good.  It was discontinued years ago, so I can't just go buy another of the same model.

Fortunately, I had anticipated that this would happen someday and bought a couple of mice to be ready when it did.  They're both much fancier with a lot more features, and cost somewhere in the ballpark of $30 or $40 on sale.  One was a Rosewill Reflex, and right out of the box, doesn't work very well.  It sometimes interprets a click-and-drag as a simple click, or a single click as a double click.  The other, an MSI Interceptor, seems to work well, but is uncomfortable.  The left side buttons stick way out to the extent that there's nowhere to put my thumb.

It was always going to feel like a downgrade when it came time to replace the best mouse I've ever used.  And perhaps I should be happy that I got over nine years out of that mouse, rather than upset that it finally died.  But it's still annoying to have to move on and not have a good replacement.
Gdemami

Comments

• GruntyGrunty Member EpicPosts: 8,657
    edited November 2018
    AFter nine years of use it wouldn't hurt to open it up and see if it's just a loose light sensor/source that a little glue could fix. 

Dripping some isopropyl alcohol in the Rosewill button may clear up any light surface corrosion.
    "I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams
  • RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383
    Mine does that when it has a dog hair stuck in the sensor housing.

That being said - you must have found the best mouse ever. The longest I've ever had one last was an old school IBM trackball that had a steel housing - that about 4 years before the little wheels inside got so gummed up I couldn't get it working well again. Most decent mice last me maybe two years before either a button or the scroll wheel goes.

I really miss the Logitech G5 - best mouse I ever used. Was also one of the first that I actually spent some money on - most of them that I used before that were the cheapy ones that came for free with every GW2K computer. I've never found a mouse I liked as well. 

The worst was the Logitech G500-something.... - which was based on the G5, so seems like it would be a no brainer to go with. I did... and it had this rubberized coating, that after about 6 months, turned into something that resembled snot that would never clean up. It was disgusting.

I currently have a Corsair M65 - it's getting close to two years now and still works pretty well - can tell the teflon on the bottom is starting to wear, but apart from that still going strong. The mouse took some getting used to, and fortunately I've worn all the gritty paint off the side that would rub my pinky finger raw...

I would say, though, that a good mousepad makes just as much of a difference as a good mouse. Sure, your hand may not be in direct contact with it all the time, but I was surprised the difference it can make. My current mousepad is ... 10 years old now, a solid hunk of rigid black plastic without any frills, looks brand new if I toss it through the dishwasher, and tracks like a champ. Too bad they don't sell Ratpadz any longer.
  • LokeroLokero Member RarePosts: 1,514
    Ridelynn said:

That being said - you must have found the best mouse ever. The longest I've ever had one last was an old school IBM trackball that had a steel housing - that about 4 years before the little wheels inside got so gummed up I couldn't get it working well again. Most decent mice last me maybe two years before either a button or the scroll wheel goes.
    I've definitely become a huge fan of trackball mice.  That's what I've been using(though the main click buttons have stopped working properly now).

I've just got a cheap Logitech Marble(I think that's the name), atm.  I need to find a new trackball of some type now that I've grown attached to the smoothness and ergonomics of it.
    Problem with that one is that it has no scroll wheel, however.  That wasn't a big deal for me, since my keyboard has one.
  • QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,355
    After trying a friend's I recently bought a Utechsmart Venus gaming mouse. I adore the damned thing, plus it was pretty cheap.
    The thing about it is, I don't want a lot of mouse buttons.  For active games, I use a controller, not a mouse.  That probably contributed to the mouse lasting as long as it did.

I only need two buttons and a scroll wheel, but they need to be comfortable and they need to work.

It's probably worth opening up the old mouse and seeing if I can fix it.  I actually did fix it once years ago.  Back then, it seemed completely dead, so I opened it up, didn't see anything wrong, put it back together, and then it worked again.

The MSI mouse would probably be fine if it didn't have those stupid side buttons, or if I could remove them somehow.  I don't see any screw holes on it to open it up, however.
    Gdemami
  • CryomatrixCryomatrix Member EpicPosts: 3,223
    i buy some cheap $10-12 mouse from China as a backup to whatever new mouse I buy. I had a bad habit of smashing mice when i lose 1v1 games .  . . so i stopped playing 1v1 games. 

Cryomatrix
    Catch me streaming at twitch.tv/cryomatrix
    You can see my sci-fi/WW2 book recommendations. 
  • cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,101
    My husband refuses to take any initiative about getting himself a mouse he wants but has constantly been grousing about the ones I got for him. He says they are too small although there is no appreciable difference from the one he has and the one I got. I think he has grown so accustomed to the old mouse he is loath to throw it away. There I am stuck with an equivalent of a 60 something toddler grumbling over the loss of a favourite stuffed animal.
    Ridelynn
    Chamber of Chains
  • DragnelusDragnelus Member EpicPosts: 3,503
    I need a new mmo mouse. But I can only find the trinity naga €100,-     -_-

• ceratop001ceratop001 Member RarePosts: 1,594
    I think if you can't repair the mouse it should be given a proper funeral...Good luck!

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,971
    I love it when something lasts a long time and does it's job, but I also love the best, these two criteria do not always sit well together. I would recommend a Death Adder but they are not cheap.
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,971
    cheyane said:
    My husband refuses to take any initiative about getting himself a mouse he wants but has constantly been grousing about the ones I got for him. He says they are too small although there is no appreciable difference from the one he has and the one I got. I think he has grown so accustomed to the old mouse he is loath to throw it away. There I am stuck with an equivalent of a 60 something toddler grumbling over the loss of a favourite stuffed animal.
    You buy his mice for him!!!!
  • cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,101
    edited November 2018
    Scot said:
    cheyane said:
    You buy his mice for him!!!!
    You make him sound like some giant rodent. I give you the capybara:
    Image result for capybara

They are huge saw some in Brazil when I lived there.

Come to think of it more like the animal that feeds on mice.

Image result for Cat mice

Even when he gets a new computer I set it up for him. I also do all the repairs in the house too. DIY is all me he will throw a fit of temper and smash the Ikea pieces. Well, Ikea does try even the patience of a saint.
    RidelynnScot
    Chamber of Chains
  • DragnelusDragnelus Member EpicPosts: 3,503
    Scot said:
    I love it when something lasts a long time and does it's job, but I also love the best, these two criteria do not always sit well together. I would recommend a Death Adder but they are not cheap.

Razer Naga Trinity borrows the 5G optische sensor from the DeathAdder Elite

• RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383
    A lot of people swear but Razer. I’ve tried them and found them to be hit or miss.

The same could be said of Logitech really, except Logitech’s misses tend to be low priced and not gaming oriented, whereas almost everything Razer puts out is not that...

i dont mind as much if a $15 mouse sucks at gaming or breaks in a few months. I mind greatly when a $80
    one intended just for gaming does.

Maybe I just don’t get it because I never got into the MMO mouse, and Razer was (is) the top multi-keyed mouse.
  • H0urg1assH0urg1ass Member EpicPosts: 2,380
    The RAT 7 was the best mouse I ever used.  It died finally after six years of use and I bought another one since they still made it.

However, I could instantly tell that they had since started using cheaper materials.  It didn't weigh as much.  It flexed in my hand more than it used to.  It didn't stay on the size settings where I put them.

As Mad Catz was dying, they started using cheaper materials in the construction of their parts, even the same parts they had been using for years.  It was a real let down and I returned the mouse after about two days of use and left several strongly worded reviews.
  • AkulasAkulas Member RarePosts: 3,006
    Just get a Logitech M100r full sized

I've literally had mine for 17 years and it still works.
    Ridelynn

This isn't a signature, you just think it is.