Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Which Class For Me?

Truvidien88Truvidien88 Member UncommonPosts: 462
Been wanting to casually get into this game more often but cannot decide on which class is for me.. This of course has always been my hardest part when playing any sort of game. I've played mostly melee in other MMO's I'm wanting something that can be really fun in PvP.  PvE isn't really my thing but when the times I have played my girlfriend she has asked me to play a tank. So I'm wondering if a class is available for me that I can basically do all roles with? If anyone could point me in the right direction I'd be greatful.

Thanks!

Also, it's not that late to get into this is it? With each time I keep hearing expansions/DLC's coming out I feel like I'm getting farther left behind. 

Comments

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    All 5 classes can be built to be melee DPS, ranged DPS, tank or healer but some are a bit better than others - just a bit, not much really - at the different roles.

If you want to know which are considered best for different roles, here's my opinion:

• Tank: Dragon Knight or Warden
    • Healer: Magicka Templar or Magicka Warden
    • Ranged DPS (with an emphasis on AOE): Magicka Warden and Magicka Sorcerer
    • Ranged DPS (with an emphasis on single target): Magicka Templar, Magicka Sorcerer, Magicka Nightblade
    • Melee DPS: Stamina DK, Stamina Templar, Stamina Warden
    • Kings'o'PVP: Stamina Nightblade, Magicka Nightblade, Stamina Warden

Take the above with a grain of salt but I do play all classes and all variants so that's my personal experience with the current state of the game.

And no, it's not too late to get into this. All the original content as well as any and all DLC can be done in any order since the whole game is level-scaled. It's not like other games with zone by zone progression where you can't really do recent content until you're level "X".  
    Truvidien88H0urg1assMrMelGibsonOctagon7711
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• Truvidien88Truvidien88 Member UncommonPosts: 462
    Iselin said:
    All 5 classes can be built to be melee DPS, ranged DPS, tank or healer but some are a bit better than others - just a bit, not much really - at the different roles.

If you want to know which are considered best for different roles, here's my opinion:

• Ranged DPS (with an emphasis on single target): Magicka Templar, Magicka Sorcerer, Magicka Nightblade

Take the above with a grain of salt but I do play all classes and all variants so that's my personal experience with the current state of the game.

And no, it's not too late to get into this. All the original content as well as any and all DLC can be done in any order since the whole game is level-scaled. It's not like other games with zone by zone progression where you can't really do recent content until you're level "X".  
    I don't have Summerset right now. If I were to pay a sub fee I would still need to buy Morrowind & Summerset right? Or could I save the crown points each month and purchase them that way? 
  • H0urg1assH0urg1ass Member EpicPosts: 2,380
    Iselin said:

Interesting.

So are classes essentially just for show?  Like basically you can fill any role with any class, it's just what costume you're wearing when you do it?
  • gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    edited November 2018
    Iselin said:

I don't have Summerset right now. If I were to pay a sub fee I would still need to buy Morrowind & Summerset right? Or could I save the crown points each month and purchase them that way? 
    Correct. Chapters are not included. And no you cannot buy them with crowns. (There is a Morrowind Collector's Pack in the store but it doesn't include the actual Morrowind content!) So if you really want Morrowind & Summerset save your money maybe.

Honestly though you will have no shortage of content whichever vase version you have or get; its huge. 

Just to add to @Iselin 's comments above creating alts is very easy. A new character has to level to 50 but as soon as that has been achieved the new character gains the champion points - post 50 progression - of your other characters. So if you feel the class you have chosen isn't for you its no big deal. And you can also respec characters - so no worries.
    Post edited by gervaise1 on
    Truvidien88
  • SaunZSaunZ Member UncommonPosts: 472
    Cryodiil (the ESO pvp area) is packed with peepz, huge and fun!  Get your new toon to level 10 and immediately go to Cryodiil.  The lower your level the more powerful you can be if you gear right (because of scaling).  The best way to level to 10 is to go find ALL the SkyShards you can so that you can have more Skills.  ESO and the Cryodiil PvP zone are like the best MMORPG ever! 

Oh, and MOST important... join the EP faction or I will kill you in Cryodiil… but it will be SO much fun and we will be life long friends as I camp your dead corpse.

Sz  :)
    Truvidien88MrMelGibson
    oh oh oh… PS - make sure you join the Cryodiil  Kyne Campaign.  The Kyne Campaign is for under level 50.  All the other campaigns are for level 50s that are raising their Champions Points.  You can switch to them when you get to level 50.  You can accidentally go to them before level 50, like at level 10 and just die over and over and over.  So, get to level 10 and join the Kyne Campaign in Cryodiil for the most fun of your life!

Truvidien88
    PS PS - ALL level 50s are snobs.

Truvidien88
  • rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    edited November 2018
    H0urg1ass said:
    Iselin said:

Interesting.

So are classes essentially just for show?  Like basically you can fill any role with any class, it's just what costume you're wearing when you do it?
    nope, if you see Iselin's bullet points tanks are DK and Wardens. Other classes can have tanky builds with heavy armor, even sorcerers can, but they will be squishy and not ideal. The comment you quoted refers to how flexible are all classes, but they aren't WoW druids that effectively take all 3 roles as their main specs. And they all play very differently from each other as well.
    Truvidien88

• BrunlinBrunlin Member UncommonPosts: 79
    Iselin said:

Actually, Morrowind is now considered a DLC and you can explore that area with a sub, however the Warden class is no longer apart of that content and is separated in the crown store. You will get enough crowns to purchase that class just from subbing. So if you are interested in the warden than I would advise buying that class with the crowns you get immediately by subbing. The Warden as a Stamina build is actually good right now in pvp and pve, there are a lot of builds on you tube and google, just make sure that you search for a build that is a Murkmire build (latest content)
    gervaise1Truvidien88

If at first you don’t succeed, call it version 1.0

• gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    edited November 2018
    H0urg1ass said:
    Iselin said:

Interesting.

No ....... not quite anyway!

Every character learns and develops a mix of class skills (spells) and  common (non-class) skills. Over 80% - probably more like 90% - of skills these days are common.

Each class skill has a "sort of" equivalent non-class skill. And for general play the differences don't really matter. Class A using equivalent common skills can mimic Class B using class skills. So yes you can fill any role with any class. Especially considering that gear selection will further blur the differences.

That said. In some circumstances a class skill will be better - usually not by much - than the equivalent common skill. Which is why you will get write ups about "the best class" and "the best role". And if you are part of a group of people aiming for world firsts, the hardest raids and so forth ... you get the idea I am sure.
    H0urg1ass
    H0urg1ass said:
    Iselin said:

Interesting.

In addition to what @gervaise1 said, classes used to be much more distinct at launch but over time they have gotten changes and additions that for example, added AOE, or damage shields or healing to classes that used to be weak in those areas or didn't have them at all.

DKs and Templars are still the best tank and healers respectively just like they were at launch but they are no longer the only classes that are worth tanking or healing with.

You'll still see most tanks being DKs and healers being Templars in hard mode raids because the crowd that does those is very much into min-maxing so a couple of % matters to them. But in any other type of PvE, including veteran dungeons, you really can fill any role with any class.

DPS is more subject to the nerf/buff cycles so which is the best changes patch to patch. Once upon a time my Stamina Sorc was much better than anything else at melee DPS but they are kind of middle of the pack right now.

H0urg1assgervaise1Truvidien88
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

• RaquisRaquis Member RarePosts: 1,029
    google build videos to get an idea.
    Truvidien88
    SaunZ said:
    oh oh oh… PS - make sure you join the Cryodiil  Kyne Campaign.  The Kyne Campaign is for under level 50.  All the other campaigns are for level 50s that are raising their Champions Points.  You can switch to them when you get to level 50.  You can accidentally go to them before level 50, like at level 10 and just die over and over and over.  So, get to level 10 and join the Kyne Campaign in Cryodiil for the most fun of your life!

Would this be for PC or Console? I'm a PC player.  If I don't join the Ebonheart Pact what name should I look out for so I know when to avoid you. :)   Is Cyrodiil the easiest way to level from 10-50? I was just about to ask this question until you just mentioned this. So thank you for that. :smile:
    SaunZ said:

Would this be for PC or Console? I'm a PC player.  If I don't join the Ebonheart Pact what name should I look out for so I know when to avoid you. :)   Is Cyrodiil the easiest way to level from 10-50? I was just about to ask this question until you just mentioned this. So thank you for that. :smile:
    It isn't the easiest way but if you enjoy large scale, persistent PvP it's the most fun way and in ESO it's perfectly viable.

Chugging XP potions and grinding is the fastest way as it is in most other MMOs... if you can stand it :)

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

Iselin said:
    SaunZ said:

It isn't the easiest way but if you enjoy large scale, persistent PvP it's the most fun way and in ESO it's perfectly viable.

Chugging XP potions and grinding is the fastest way as it is in most other MMOs... if you can stand it :)
    I made a Wood Elf Nightblade and got to level 10 went into Cyrodiil and just been wondering around the map. Found maybe one enemy so far lol.  Is it worth to level through PvP or should I be running dungeons and looking for skyshards?   Also.. I haven't found a way to get the hell out of Cyrodiil. Been looking around for over 30 mins now :(  I went to the Wayshrine (two of them) and it keeps telling me I cannot leave during alliance war? 
    Iselin said:
    SaunZ said:

I made a Wood Elf Nightblade and got to level 10 went into Cyrodiil and just been wondering around the map. Found maybe one enemy so far lol.  Is it worth to level through PvP or should I be running dungeons and looking for skyshards?   Also.. I haven't found a way to get the hell out of Cyrodiil. Been looking around for over 30 mins now :(  I went to the Wayshrine (two of them) and it keeps telling me I cannot leave during alliance war? 

you did join the Kyne Campaign for Cryodiil, right?  Once in Cryodiil type M and watch for battles on the Cryodiil Map.  You will find enemies and peepz if you chat in /zone and type LFG... groups will invite you to raid with them.

leveling up in Cryodiil is fun and you can find Sky Shards in Cryodiil too.

to get out of Cryodiil you have to go to 1 of your 2 main gates and go to 1 of the 2 wayshrines, use it and zoom out on the real world map to go to a wayshrine you have previously discovered.

Cryodiil is FUN!

Iselin said:
    SaunZ said:

Cyrodiil... you can check out any time you want but you can never leave. JK :) Cyrodiil has its own teleporter system that only works within Cyrodiil and where you can go using them depends on which keeps your alliance controls. Like @SaunZ said, you need one of the two wayshrines that are at the entry areas to port out of there.

When you're new there, join a group - just ask in chat. You _can_ solo there, especially as a Nightblade, but only if you know what you're doing and where to find action you can handle. At level 10 grouping is very much recommended specially for leveling since you'll see more action and get XP from what group mates near you are doing. Also, after you've spent a few days there you'll get to know which guilds are active there consistently. Join one of those and before you know it you'll be level 50.

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

Iselin said:
    Iselin said:
    SaunZ said:

Cyrodiil... you can check out any time you want but you can never leave. JK :) Cyrodiil has its own teleporter system that only works within Cyrodiil and where you can go using them depends on which keeps your alliance controls. Like @SaunZ said, you need one of the two wayshrines that are at the entry areas to port out of there.

When you're new there, join a group - just ask in chat. You _can_ solo there, especially as a Nightblade, but only if you know what you're doing and where to find action you can handle. At level 10 grouping is very much recommended specially for leveling since you'll see more action and get XP from what group mates near you are doing. Also, after you've spent a few days there you'll get to know which guilds are active there consistently. Join one of those and before you know it you'll be level 50.
    Nice song reference :) Alright I'll have to keep a eye out on zone chat then while roaming and see what I can find. 

@SaunZ Correct. I'm in the Kyne campaign.