Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fallout 76 you cannot get a refund even if you wanted one

Comments

• ItstimetodealItstimetodeal Member UncommonPosts: 284
    cheyane said:
    DMKano said:
    Man... I am certainly not aligned with the vast majority of gamers on this one.  I'm actually having a ton of fun with the game.

My comments were not on it's bad reviews.  Just those crying on the internet and running to every corner of the internet to jump on the bandwagon to cry about a video game and post negative reviews are the minority.  

The vocal minority is a cancer to video games. They think they have this super power to change a industry that continues to increase sales every year.  They cheer when EA stock falls but to remain silent when it goes back up and surpasses its previous high a week or two after their crusade.  They claim victory when a year later EA stock falls but miss almost EVERY MAJOR TECH STOCK IS FALLING. 

The vocal minority is the single largest problem with video games today and to be honest the biggest danger to video games ever.  They don't care about games they just have a desperate need to feel included and jump on whatever bandwagon is coming through town.  They are a cancer plain and simple. 
    Everybody jumped on the bandwagon to make the game drop to $35.

The vocal minority illuminati strikes again.

The cancers to video games are still the vocal minority pal. 

Btw tough guy it's a Black Friday/ cyber Monday sale.  Better luck next time.  Its pretty sad how important you actually think your crying about a video game is.  

"Fallout 76 has only just been released, and while its recommended going rate was £49 you can already find it at Black Friday discounts from Currys on Xbox and PS4. Explore the wasteland as a survivor of a nuclear apocalypse and play with friends online in the Fallout universe for the first time."
    For comparison, the best deal you can seemingly get for RDR2 for Black Friday/Cyber Monday was a PS4 bundle deal.

Brand spankin new titles usually don't enjoy 50% discounts, even during Black Friday/Cyber Monday.

From GameStop:

"New Black Friday deals are coming around the clock, and one such example was Red Dead Redemption 2 for only $45 on Xbox One. That's unfortunate sold out now, but we'll continue to look out for additional details as Cyber Monday draws near . . .

. . . 
    For now, the best Black Friday Red Dead Redemption 2 deals are available through the Xbox Store and PlayStation Store. The normally $80 Special Edition is being lowered to around $70 for Black Friday. The Special Edition comes with the base game, as well as a bank robbery mission and gang hideout, Dappled Black Thoroughbred horse, talisman and medallion in-game bonuses, boosts, cash discounts, the Nuevo Paraiso Gunslinger outfit, and several free weapons. The even more expensive Ultimate edition drops to $90 on both platforms. As of this writing, you'll need an Xbox Live Gold membership to take advantage of the Xbox pricing."

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/red-dead-2-deals-black-friday-best-places-to-buy-t/1100-6463318/

The comparison tells a pretty compelling story about the relative qualities and reception of the titles.

Hey man I'm not sure what to tell you I'm saying sure the game sucks, it's horrible , worst game since the bandwagon got a hold of Battlefront or Diablo mobile.  My point is there are more people who bought the game then who are throwing a fit online. It's just a fact I'm not sure why some on here get so worked up over a simple fact.

I get they are desperate for attention and the need to feel included.  They can still get all of that in their small little club that ruins video games and gives all gamers a bad name.  I just laugh how they think their actions alone are taking down the likes of EA, Activision and Bethesda.

Its mind boggling how ignorant they are not only how they think their actions are "winning" but even if they were how they think destroying massive gaming studios would be good for gaming.  
  • MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    That's why I said this is not the hill to die on.  There are gamers who bitch and moan about insignificant or contrived issues with games; this isn't an example of that.  The issues aren't insignificant or contrived.  This isn't "why are women allowed to carry guns??  They should be taking care of the kids, gtfo Bethesda!" BS whining.

Citing this game as the contextual example doesn't do a lot to support the point.  

• AlomarAlomar Member RarePosts: 1,299
    Not reading through pages of crying and whining so I'm not sure if it's already been said here. If you purchased the game for $60 from Amazon they're offering $20 account credits via live chat requests due to the price drop. As far as I'm aware, several friends have tried elsewhere, they're the only ones offering anything.
    Haxus Council Member
    21  year MMO veteran 
    PvP Raid Leader 
    Lover of The Witcher & CD Projekt Red
    Alomar said:
    Not reading through pages of crying and whining so I'm not sure if it's already been said here. If you purchased the game for $60 from Amazon they're offering $20 account credits via live chat requests due to the price drop. As far as I'm aware, several friends have tried elsewhere, they're the only ones offering anything.
    Bethesda also gave the in-game currency equivalent to a customer who wrote them regarding the price drop right after they purchased the game at full price.  Worth checking out I guess, sort of like threatening to change TV/Internet companies to ensure you continually get the best deal from your current provider.

• PhaserlightPhaserlight Member EpicPosts: 3,072
    cheyane said:
    DMKano said:
    Man... I am certainly not aligned with the vast majority of gamers on this one.  I'm actually having a ton of fun with the game.

My comments were not on it's bad reviews.  Just those crying on the internet and running to every corner of the internet to jump on the bandwagon to cry about a video game and post negative reviews are the minority.  

The vocal minority is a cancer to video games. They think they have this super power to change a industry that continues to increase sales every year.  They cheer when EA stock falls but to remain silent when it goes back up and surpasses its previous high a week or two after their crusade.  They claim victory when a year later EA stock falls but miss almost EVERY MAJOR TECH STOCK IS FALLING. 

The vocal minority is the single largest problem with video games today and to be honest the biggest danger to video games ever.  They don't care about games they just have a desperate need to feel included and jump on whatever bandwagon is coming through town.  They are a cancer plain and simple. 

Btw tough guy it's a Black Friday/ cyber Monday sale.  Better luck next time.  Its pretty sad how important you actually think your crying about a video game is.  

"Fallout 76 has only just been released, and while its recommended going rate was £49 you can already find it at Black Friday discounts from Currys on Xbox and PS4. Explore the wasteland as a survivor of a nuclear apocalypse and play with friends online in the Fallout universe for the first time."
    For comparison, the best deal you can seemingly get for RDR2 for Black Friday/Cyber Monday was a PS4 bundle deal.

Brand spankin new titles usually don't enjoy 50% discounts, even during Black Friday/Cyber Monday.

From GameStop:

"New Black Friday deals are coming around the clock, and one such example was Red Dead Redemption 2 for only $45 on Xbox One. That's unfortunate sold out now, but we'll continue to look out for additional details as Cyber Monday draws near . . .

. . . 
    For now, the best Black Friday Red Dead Redemption 2 deals are available through the Xbox Store and PlayStation Store. The normally $80 Special Edition is being lowered to around $70 for Black Friday. The Special Edition comes with the base game, as well as a bank robbery mission and gang hideout, Dappled Black Thoroughbred horse, talisman and medallion in-game bonuses, boosts, cash discounts, the Nuevo Paraiso Gunslinger outfit, and several free weapons. The even more expensive Ultimate edition drops to $90 on both platforms. As of this writing, you'll need an Xbox Live Gold membership to take advantage of the Xbox pricing."

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/red-dead-2-deals-black-friday-best-places-to-buy-t/1100-6463318/

The comparison tells a pretty compelling story about the relative qualities and reception of the titles.

Hey man I'm not sure what to tell you I'm saying sure the game sucks, it's horrible , worst game since the bandwagon got a hold of Battlefront or Diablo mobile.  My point is there are more people who bought the game then who are throwing a fit online. It's just a fact I'm not sure why some on here get so worked up over a simple fact.

I get they are desperate for attention and the need to feel included.  They can still get all of that in their small little club that ruins video games and gives all gamers a bad name.  I just laugh how they think their actions alone are taking down the likes of EA, Activision and Bethesda.

Its mind boggling how ignorant they are not only how they think their actions are "winning" but even if they were how they think destroying massive gaming studios would be good for gaming.  
    Let's turn your point on its head for a moment; would you expect there to be more people throwing a fit online than who bought the game?  Of course not.  Your fact is irrelevant.

I kind of get what you are saying, but the way you are presenting your argument is ridiculous: as if your point were grounded in "hard", indisputable statistics.  It is nearly meaningless to say 'more people bought the game than negatively reviewed it': did you really expect people to leave negative reviews without ever having played?

"Harder" statistics can be found on Metacritic, and that's what I would be spending my energy debunking if you really want to prove FO76 is unfairly criticized.  I don't see any good reason right now not to take the thousands of player reviews as a fair, Gaussian distribution; is there something you know that we don't?

"The simple is the seal of the true and beauty is the splendor of truth" -Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar
    Authored 139 missions in Vendetta Online and 6 tracks in Distance

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,001
    edited November 2018
    Iselin said:
    On mobile now so can’t edit all this but Wikipedia says he’s a designer of their earlier games. And who is the guy in that link? That’t’s not pete Hines!
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Sovrath said:
    Iselin said:
    On mobile now so can’t edit all this but Wikipedia says he’s a designer of their earlier games. And who is the guy in that link? That’t’s not pete Hines!
    He wasn't even there before Morrowind and yes that is definitely his picture lol.
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,001
    Iselin said:
    Sovrath said:
    Iselin said:
    He wasn't even there before Morrowind and yes that is definitely his picture lol.
    I stand corrected! I was thinking of Todd Howard!!! 
    [Deleted User]
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
    Sovrath said:
    Iselin said:
    Sovrath said:
    Iselin said:
    I stand corrected! I was thinking of Todd Howard!!! 
    Howard is a different story. He does have a game development background, sometimes as project lead/director but mostly producer or executive producer.
    [Deleted User]
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

Elidien said:
    Something interesting to me. I am not saying this is scientific nor the data is useful, just that its interesting to me. Someone had mentioned FO 76 getting review bombed so I as curious.

I looked over Metacritic today and here is what I found below. I looked at what I consider 4 big launches over the past few weeks: Assassin's Creed, Call of Duty, Battlefield V and FO 76.

What I find interesting is this:

1. They were some of most heavily user reviewed games on the site. Not surprising in and of itself.

2. They had some of the most negative user scores on the site. 

3.  Most of all, the number of reviews is as follows: AC - 850 reviews; COD - 415 reviews; Battlefield V - 1109 reviews; FO 76 - 3594 reviews.

Yeah you read that right, FO 76 has 200% more reviews than they next closest, recently released game (FO 76 came out Nov. 14 and Battlefield V on Nov. 15).

In the social sciences we call this an interesting anomaly when looking at data. Something has made 200%+ more people go and review FO 76.  Now that's the question.

Just for comparisons sake, Big Rigs (considered the worst game to launch in recent memory, the lowest rated critic score on Metacritic and other sites as well, one of the few games I have ever seen get a zero score), has a higher rating on Metacritic than FO 76 from users but still a third of the user reviews.

Something is up for sure but I am too tired and sick to delve into it any more tonight. I am curious why so many more reviews though.

I don't think there is much mystery in the quantity of people motivated to review it: Fallout and Elder Scrolls releases are big deals in the gaming world. Liking it or not is one thing but a huge number of gamers are aware of those games and their releases.

Many players have a long history spanning decades with those IPs and strong opinions about them.
    [Deleted User]PhaserlightAlBQuirky

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

• FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,967
    cheyane said:
    DMKano said:

Umm you are the majority though.  Those screaming and crying are always the vocal minority.   I can guarantee there are more people buying games then crying on forums like this.  

This is another example of gamers being the problem today not developers.  You have a guy bragging he played the game for hours and then requested a refund.  

Just not the case with Fallout 76

https://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/fallout-76

https://www.metacritic.com/game/playstation-4/fallout-76

https://www.metacritic.com/game/xbox-one/fallout-76

https://www.forbes.com/sites/insertcoin/2018/11/23/after-a-historically-bad-launch-is-fallout-76-worth-saving/#6599c169320f

https://wccftech.com/fallout-76-sold-less-fallout-4/

Metacritic has been a cesspool for a long time. It's hard to gauge anything especially on a title like Fallout 76 with the social media backlash.  Let me clarify I dont play it I'm just stating the facts.

It's safe to say a lot of the negative reviews are duplicate.  Even if they are not there are a total of 5000 negative reviews.  

This site has generated 94 comments again many are from the same posters so maybe 40-50 unique posters? 

The game was the # 3 seller in RETAIL (DIGITAL NOT INCLUDED) in the UK.

Just in Japan and only on the PS4 it sold 74,000 RETAIL copies.

With the release of the new Pokemon games on Nintendo Switch we weren't expecting much from the rest of the software charts, and for the most part that's true. However, it's well worth highlighting Fallout 76, which managed to move a surprisingly decent 73,000 copies on PlayStation 4 and land in second place.

Just looking at one platform in one country you are still the minority.   

More people bought the game then who are screaming on the internet.   Those are the facts.  

The vocal minority is the biggest problem in video games today.  
    The number of assumptions you make under the guise of facts is unconvincing.
    No assumption pal...the numbers are all there. Read slower next time.  
    http://www.pushsquare.com/games/ps4/fallout_76

The game is rated 3/10 on the page you linked . Very convincing indeed.

***BREAKING NEWS: This just in, Fallout 76 has cancer... caused by vocal minority***
    AlBQuirky
    "As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    cheyane said:
    DMKano said:

Umm you are the majority though.  Those screaming and crying are always the vocal minority.   I can guarantee there are more people buying games then crying on forums like this.  

This is another example of gamers being the problem today not developers.  You have a guy bragging he played the game for hours and then requested a refund.  

https://www.forbes.com/sites/insertcoin/2018/11/23/after-a-historically-bad-launch-is-fallout-76-worth-saving/#6599c169320f

Metacritic has been a cesspool for a long time. It's hard to gauge anything especially on a title like Fallout 76 with the social media backlash.  Let me clarify I dont play it I'm just stating the facts.

It's safe to say a lot of the negative reviews are duplicate.  Even if they are not there are a total of 5000 negative reviews.  

This site has generated 94 comments again many are from the same posters so maybe 40-50 unique posters? 

With the release of the new Pokemon games on Nintendo Switch we weren't expecting much from the rest of the software charts, and for the most part that's true. However, it's well worth highlighting Fallout 76, which managed to move a surprisingly decent 73,000 copies on PlayStation 4 and land in second place.

More people bought the game then who are screaming on the internet.   Those are the facts.  

***BREAKING NEWS: This just in, Fallout 76 has cancer... caused by vocal minority***
    Vocal Minority? seems to be a fairly vocal 'majority' That Bethesda has now changed tack again and has begun refunding players who bought the PC copy of the game, might be in response to the numbers of people who chose the chargeback option, apparently getting a chargeback for the game is easier than expected, either way it seems that the number of refund requests has exceeded Bethesda's 'worst case' scenario.
    The game is now retailing at $35 and is likely to fall further, interesting times!  :p
    JeffSpicoli
  • BananableBananable Member UncommonPosts: 194
    edited November 2018
    Why would you want a refund?

Its the sandbox MMO everyone been waiting for!  :P

PhaserlightAlBQuirkyScot
  • cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,100
    Phry said:
    cheyane said:
    DMKano said:

Vocal Minority? seems to be a fairly vocal 'majority' That Bethesda has now changed tack again and has begun refunding players who bought the PC copy of the game, might be in response to the numbers of people who chose the chargeback option, apparently getting a chargeback for the game is easier than expected, either way it seems that the number of refund requests has exceeded Bethesda's 'worst case' scenario.
    The game is now retailing at $35 and is likely to fall further, interesting times!  :p
    Aye it seems to be so

https://www.shacknews.com/article/108694/unhappy-fallout-76-pc-players-receiving-refunds-from-bethesda

Probably was advised the negative publicity from their apparent refusal to give refunds would have consequences that may prove hard to gloss over. The reason that these days so many outlets are reporting and writing and far more than it was when they released Fallout 4 and while they might want to ride out the criticism I think saner voices prevailed. Every Youtuber out there with any audience is trying to cash in too and the negativity is extremely attractive. I suppose the media is indeed a double edged weapon.

They aren't making a public statement for fear that it might result it far greater numbers than a stealthy recourse.
    AlBQuirky
    Chamber of Chains
  • TEKK3NTEKK3N Member RarePosts: 1,115
    Iselin said:
    Sovrath said:

Howard is a different story. He does have a game development background, sometimes as project lead/director but mostly producer or executive producer.
    Howard is not an hands on designer, but he is the guy behind all Bethesda success.
    He's been either Director or Producer of every Bethesda blockbuster (Morrowind, Oblivion, Skyrim, Fallout 3, Fallout 4 and now 76).
    He is Mr. Bethesda.

I often associate him with Hines, since they kind of work in tandem, that's why I made the mistake of thinking Hines was a creative.
    I knew Howard well since I am a big fan of Bethesda since Daggerfall, I didn't know much about Hines, I just though he was his sidekick (A bit like the Good Doctors of Bioware).

Anyway, as I stated in a previous post, I don't think Howard is too comfortable with the multiplayer concept, all his games have the same blueprint, they are successful because they follow the same proven formula.
    76 is not Howard cup of tea.
    I am sure 76 has been requested by Zenimax for market reasons, but they should have appointed Zenimax Online for the job. That's Zenimax mistake.
    Howard would have better spent his time on Starfield and TES 6 rather than 76, those are the type of  games he loves and understand.
    VengeSunsoar
    edited November 2018
    @TEKK3N Kano has posted here in multiple threads that he has heard there's bad blood between Howard and ZOS. IDK how much of that is just exaggerated rumor but even if it is just that, those kinds of rumors don't usually start in a vacuum... /shrug. There could very well be some corporate politics at play influencing decisions of who gets to work on what.

Besides... it's pretty well known by now that ZOS is working on a new IP that is being kept under wraps. Whether it's another full-fledged MMORPG or some sort of MMO-lite no one knows.

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

Iselin said:
    @TEKK3N Kano has posted here in multiple threads that he has heard there's bad blood between Howard and ZOS. IDK how much of that is just exaggerated rumor but even if it is just that, those kinds of rumors don't usually start in a vacuum... /shrug. There could very well be some corporate politics at play influencing decisions of who gets to work on what.

Besides... it's pretty well known by now that ZOS is working on a new IP that is being kept under wraps. Whether it's another full-fledged MMORPG or some sort of MMO-lite no one knows.
    Possibly.
    I don't think Howard is happy with ZOS interpretation of his baby (TES), I wasn't either.
    But that's the point, neither Howard or ZOS decide who gets to do what.
    76 was clearly a job for ZOS.
    I don't think Howard necessarily wanted to work on 76, when he had two bigger titles already in his hand, Starfield and TES 6.

ZOS working on another project is not a problem, since Howard is working on 2 projects.
    Plus 76 is basically Fallout 4 minus NPCs, so I don't think it required a full team to develop it.
    It was a part time job.
    VengeSunsoar
  • Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,982
    Iselin said:

Did you play Fallout 4?

If you didn't I can understand you having fun with this, but if you did I just don't know how you wouldn't compare it to 4 and feel like this is something much less than that.
    Nope.  I've said in the past that I think it could just be a matter of expectations.  It's my first Fallout game.  

That said... 3 of the others in my group are Fallout fans.

I also think it helps that we have a pre-made group to play with.  I can see how it would be less fun to try and solo it, but that's true in most games like this.

My group just had our first rage quit.  He had been playing solo for the last 2 nights because the rest of us were not on:

I'm done with F76 at least until the next patch. The carry and stash limit are just insane and make the game unplayable. I had been collecting ballistic fiber, aluminum, rubber, and adhesive for days. finally had a good collection, then got corpse camped and killed like 10 times by the freaking dragon(Scorchbeast). Spent an hour trying to get my shit back, only to find 90% is gone. No ballistic fiber, no aluminum, no rubber, no adhesive. Fuck that. I'll try again when Bethesda get their shit together and fix all the bugs. I must say I'm very disappointed with the game and understand the big drop-off of players from release.
    Phry

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

My group just had our first rage quit.  He had been playing solo for the last 2 nights because the rest of us were not on:

I'm done with F76 at least until the next patch. The carry and stash limit are just insane and make the game unplayable. I had been collecting ballistic fiber, aluminum, rubber, and adhesive for days. finally had a good collection, then got corpse camped and killed like 10 times by the freaking dragon(Scorchbeast). Spent an hour trying to get my shit back, only to find 90% is gone. No ballistic fiber, no aluminum, no rubber, no adhesive. Fuck that. I'll try again when Bethesda get their shit together and fix all the bugs. I must say I'm very disappointed with the game and understand the big drop-off of players from release.
    Bethesda just (unknowingly) invented PVE Ganking.
    Good job.

• lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    TEKK3N said:

Bethesda just (unknowingly) invented PVE Ganking.
    Good job.

The famous “its not a bug, its a feature.”

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

• AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432
    cheyane said:
    AlBQuirky said:
    cheyane said:
    Look it is my honest opinion that developers are not taking responsibility for their fuckups. They are trying to slink about and mince their way into profits with minimal effort. This is an example of that and I think players should punish them so that these practices will not be rewarded. 

Unfortunately the Fallout name alone is enough to make people buy the game. Perhaps if more scorn is heaped on them for this disgraceful refusal to refund the loss of profit will make a difference even if the tarnishing of the name of the franchise does not.
    Sorry for the run-on replies here ;)

How do players STOP this "buy first/refund later" habit they've gotten into? NO ONE made them buy FO76. Where is the player's own fiscal responsibility?

Please don't think I'm all for releasing shitty games. I'm not. But when "we consumers" support the practice (paid beta/early access) time and time and time yet again, why should companies change?

Players made a bad decision. LEARN from it. And yes, Bethesda should be held responsible, but they didn't force anyone to buy their game.
    Don't you think that marketing has become very savvy and sophisticated and has to some extent broken down the caution many consumers might otherwise have practised. Do you think companies have not spent large sums of money in eroding that caution and are reaping the benefits of those schemes. Shouldn't they also be made to pay up when they mislead by their own representations which in many cases they have done so while in full possession of knowledge the consumers aren't privy to. Yet you hold the consumer at a higher degree of prudence while forgiving the greedy developer. (I don't mean you @AlBQuirky ; personally the 'you' is a collective reference, please don't mind me and I apologize for picking your post but I am not going to be arsed to look for the other posts)

I also find it very disconcerting that the blame seems to be portioned out quite inequitably weighing more on the consumer's responsibilities and likewise waiving the responsibility of the developer by simply referencing to the research the buyer should have done. While simultaneously arguing for the reduction in the protection of the consumer and reducing their options and rewarding the developer who are producing rubbish with a very disingenuous "no one forced them to buy the game".

I recall the early efforts my husband and I encountered while being locked in a room with a hungry promoter for time shared holidays in the early 90's that feverishly tried to promote the urgency of locking the price down after having had us for over 90 minutes. We bought it.

If you are of the opinion that asking for a refund isn't a valid option I am at a loss to be honest. This isn't the old days where companies aren't employing huge amounts of money trying to mislead you into buying their products while wilfully glossing over the actual problems they are having in their games by simultaneously promising fixes in the future that may never materialize. In those circumstances getting a refund should be a guaranteed redress. That several people are arguing otherwise seems to be in my opinion a reflection of how far down the rabbit hole we have all fallen.
    "Asking for a refund" is a very valid policy and action for consumers. I also see it abused in this industry when a little patience will reward those consumers.

The gaming industry is NOT like any examples given in this thread. It also is mainly digital now, so that even if you get a refund, the game can still be on your computer and you can do with it what you will, like reverse engineering if you're of that mind. It is an entertainment service, a "luxury" if you will, not a necessity nor a basic need.

If players want to show "displeasure" with a product, don't buy it before it comes out, let alone on day one. But we gamers just can't do that, can we? There have been many, many technically bad games released. So many that one would think we gamners would learn. But we don't. Why? Refunds. No loss, no lesson learned.

Again, I reiterate that Bethesda is not without blame nor should not be held responsible. No one made anyone buy FO76. It is hard for me to even fake sympathy for these impatient gamers.

PS: I didn't take your post at all personally. I realize quite a few shared the same feelings on both sides. It's just that I'm seeing refunds happen so frequently in this industry that they're getting to the "free game" or "game rental at no cost" status instead of actually disliking a game. If people could just practice patience and wait and see...
    MadFrenchie[Deleted User]cheyaneGdemami

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432
    Alomar said:
    Bethesda also gave the in-game currency equivalent to a customer who wrote them regarding the price drop right after they purchased the game at full price.  Worth checking out I guess, sort of like threatening to change TV/Internet companies to ensure you continually get the best deal from your current provider.
    Bottom line: Your money is now ours ;)
    MadFrenchie

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

edited November 2018
    AlBQuirky said:
    Alomar said:
    Bottom line: Your money is now ours ;)
    Yeah, at this point it's becoming hard to make the case gamers shouldn't beware, even if they're going up against companies with millions of marketing dollars.  This game even had red flags prior to release from the beta.

• cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,100
    AlBQuirky said:
    cheyane said:
    AlBQuirky said:
    cheyane said:
    Look it is my honest opinion that developers are not taking responsibility for their fuckups. They are trying to slink about and mince their way into profits with minimal effort. This is an example of that and I think players should punish them so that these practices will not be rewarded. 

Unfortunately the Fallout name alone is enough to make people buy the game. Perhaps if more scorn is heaped on them for this disgraceful refusal to refund the loss of profit will make a difference even if the tarnishing of the name of the franchise does not.
    Sorry for the run-on replies here ;)

How do players STOP this "buy first/refund later" habit they've gotten into? NO ONE made them buy FO76. Where is the player's own fiscal responsibility?

Please don't think I'm all for releasing shitty games. I'm not. But when "we consumers" support the practice (paid beta/early access) time and time and time yet again, why should companies change?

Players made a bad decision. LEARN from it. And yes, Bethesda should be held responsible, but they didn't force anyone to buy their game.
    Don't you think that marketing has become very savvy and sophisticated and has to some extent broken down the caution many consumers might otherwise have practised. Do you think companies have not spent large sums of money in eroding that caution and are reaping the benefits of those schemes. Shouldn't they also be made to pay up when they mislead by their own representations which in many cases they have done so while in full possession of knowledge the consumers aren't privy to. Yet you hold the consumer at a higher degree of prudence while forgiving the greedy developer. (I don't mean you @AlBQuirky ; personally the 'you' is a collective reference, please don't mind me and I apologize for picking your post but I am not going to be arsed to look for the other posts)

I also find it very disconcerting that the blame seems to be portioned out quite inequitably weighing more on the consumer's responsibilities and likewise waiving the responsibility of the developer by simply referencing to the research the buyer should have done. While simultaneously arguing for the reduction in the protection of the consumer and reducing their options and rewarding the developer who are producing rubbish with a very disingenuous "no one forced them to buy the game".

I recall the early efforts my husband and I encountered while being locked in a room with a hungry promoter for time shared holidays in the early 90's that feverishly tried to promote the urgency of locking the price down after having had us for over 90 minutes. We bought it.

If you are of the opinion that asking for a refund isn't a valid option I am at a loss to be honest. This isn't the old days where companies aren't employing huge amounts of money trying to mislead you into buying their products while wilfully glossing over the actual problems they are having in their games by simultaneously promising fixes in the future that may never materialize. In those circumstances getting a refund should be a guaranteed redress. That several people are arguing otherwise seems to be in my opinion a reflection of how far down the rabbit hole we have all fallen.
    "Asking for a refund" is a very valid policy and action for consumers. I also see it abused in this industry when a little patience will reward those consumers.

The gaming industry is NOT like any examples given in this thread. It also is mainly digital now, so that even if you get a refund, the game can still be on your computer and you can do with it what you will, like reverse engineering if you're of that mind. It is an entertainment service, a "luxury" if you will, not a necessity nor a basic need.

If players want to show "displeasure" with a product, don't buy it before it comes out, let alone on day one. But we gamers just can't do that, can we? There have been many, many technically bad games released. So many that one would think we gamners would learn. But we don't. Why? Refunds. No loss, no lesson learned.

Again, I reiterate that Bethesda is not without blame nor should not be held responsible. No one made anyone buy FO76. It is hard for me to even fake sympathy for these impatient gamers.

PS: I didn't take your post at all personally. I realize quite a few shared the same feelings on both sides. It's just that I'm seeing refunds happen so frequently in this industry that they're getting to the "free game" or "game rental at no cost" status instead of actually disliking a game. If people could just practice patience and wait and see...
    You're spot-on the impatience part of the equation. I love the franchise but I did not buy the game. I was reading and watching vids and decided to give it a miss for now.
    AlBQuirky
    Chamber of Chains