Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Lord of the Rings Online: Legendary Servers Reignite A Legendary Community - MMORPG.com

124»

Comments

• RobsolfRobsolf Member RarePosts: 4,607
    Torval said:
    Robsolf said:
    It's crazy how refreshing it's been to set 10 years of stuff aside, and go to these servers. To start from the bottom again, no twinked gear, actually looking forward to quest rewards...

It's the best of both worlds: closer to the original mob challenge level, with all the QoL upgrades. Gotta say, I just might start up my annual sub again, for the first time since Fangorn.

Agree very much about the universal toolkit, even if the only benefit was not having to switch out tools for different crafting jobs. Being account bound thus being able to use it with every alt makes it worth every penny.

I disagree on the Mithril, though. I say, go the other way, cut mithril out entirely. This game was built to be traveled in; another thing I had all but forgotten until recently. Ered Luin is too beautiful a place to fast forward through.
    I think Mithril Coins should be removed from the game entirely. But since they're not going to, and still allow them to be purchased on the server, then I think they should be account wide. That only screws people who've already bought MC on another server, but still allows those with tons of TP to power their way through. It's a small criticism in the bigger picture for me though.

I agree, there shouldn't be any special fast travel (outside of unlocking the route via visiting and repuation), no loot crates, no MC, and a much more limited cash shop.

Remember when you used to have to unlock fast travel routes by first visiting the stable, and then getting the appropriate reputation. MC totally guts that mechanic. Same with unlocking additional trait and LI slots, storage, etc. For Legendary servers this should be "in game" via gold.

If hobbit gifts were just once a day/week with no extra buy-in and they only gave small consumables and buffs, then I wouldn't mind them at all. No gear, mounts, or currencies of ANY kind.

That's just my opinion of course not an ultimatum.
    Yeah, I'm sure the MC's are here to stay.  I don't know why they aren't account bound; I wouldn't think their being AB would make people use them any less often.  They aren't terrible i guess, and I know I'm going to really want those MC's around toward the end of the Angmar story... ;)

Shared Storage and Wardrobe appears to be account-wide, at least.  Probably won't have problems with them filling up for a long long time...

All said and done, I'm glad to be back in and enjoying LotRO, again.  It was my go-to game for a long time, from Moria up til' Fangorn, when the RNG plague completely devastated my will to play...
    [Deleted User]
  • RobsolfRobsolf Member RarePosts: 4,607
    Torval said:
    I like to bring out good critical talking points because I think those are how we get to "good" or "better", but I like to keep it in perspective too.

This is the best time I've had playing an MMO in a really long time, including my normal play on Crickhollow. The reset has me interested in learning my classes all over again. It has been refreshing.

If someone is still thinking about it or trying to figure out your class, try the minstrel. They are BEASTS. The hunter feels better than it has in a long time too. My LM is feeling a bit puny, but not unplayable. It's just a bit awkward because he's been so OP for over a decade.

If you're on Anor you can join our kin or say hi. The kin is "Lonely Mountain Expeditionaries" Thawolf is the kin leader. You can contact him, @Benbrada (same character name), or myself for an invite. My characters Meldinvos (lore-master), Norbert (hunter), Iolo (bard minstrel).

We're not organized or actively running advanced content right now. We're there for social and some crafting or class help when we can. We'll help run instances if we're on, but right now it's a bit hectic with work and holidays.

There are a ton of other kins on the server too looking for people from hardcore instance runners to social musicians. I can't remember the name, but people were looking to fill out bands last night in world.
    Will do, Torv! 
    [Deleted User]
  • JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,965
    Robsolf said:

All said and done, I'm glad to be back in and enjoying LotRO, again.  It was my go-to game for a long time, from Moria up til' Fangorn, when the RNG plague completely devastated my will to play...
    The Shadow of Angmar zones are still one of the best content in the game.

The Moria expansion was pretty fun too, but the LI system was an RNG mess at the start (and....ugh....Radiance).

Then Mirkwood with Lothlorien was fantastic. I loved that expac and actually enjoyed a lot of the Skirmishes.

Then unfortunately came one of the worst expacs. Isengard. Next to Helm's Deep. Absolutely hated it. Was nothing but a boring hub/faction grind after hub/faction grind. Cheap and terrible.

Riders of Rohan was a bit better again. Mounted Combat was a bit of a mess at the start, but became a lot better later on.

Epic Battle system in Helm's Deep was a huge letdown and the point I gave up on the game and only came back time to time to check on the current status of the game.
  • kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,910
    This is a great game so happy this server has been created.
    [Deleted User]

• EmeraqEmeraq Member UncommonPosts: 1,063

McGamer said:

I was interested in this new server, but not when it was made clear the P2W cash shop is still accessible to those on the new server. Forget it, SSG can just fade away for all I care now. I will wait for the next version of LotR mmo in development.

When did P2W start applying to PVE? I could have swore there is nothing in that shop that effects the peeps vs creeps "PvP" in LOTRO. Sure you can level faster and improve traits with what's in the store, there's even gear etc in the hobbit gifts that's on par with crafted gear, but what does anyone else care if someone spends money on traits or exp scrolls that helps them level faster, that's not P2W in my book.
  • RenfailRenfail Member EpicPosts: 1,638
    kitarad said:
    This is a great game so happy this server has been created.
    Yep :) 

Our gaming community is rolling into Anor on Tuesday; we'll be calling it home until WoW classic this upcoming summer. 
    [Deleted User][Deleted User]
    Tim "Renfail" Anderson | Wandering Hermits Patreon
  • nate1980nate1980 Member UncommonPosts: 2,063
    I subbed for the month. I haven't played it since release. The game runs terrible on my 1080ti Intel 7 series 4k system. Terrible. Other players in chat has said the same thing. Others are willing to lower the graphics settings and resolution to something low in order to make it run a bit better, but I'm not. The last MMORPG I played with performance problems was back in DAoC days when dial up was the norm, so it was more acceptable back then. It's not acceptable to me now. Take the time to optimize your game right, and people will come. It's a shame too, because the quests were pretty good. The graphics are okay, not as picturesque as I remember, but that could be because objects keep popping in and out of view as I'm riding to an area. Ruins the immersion.
  • XasapisXasapis Member RarePosts: 6,337
    I recently joined one server (starting from I). Will see how it goes. So far undecided to choose between tank and healer.
    What I do though is delete any character that does not manage to reach level 20 without dying. I remember doing that in 2011 as well.
  • angerbeaverangerbeaver Member UncommonPosts: 1,259
    nate1980 said:
    I subbed for the month. I haven't played it since release. The game runs terrible on my 1080ti Intel 7 series 4k system. Terrible. Other players in chat has said the same thing. Others are willing to lower the graphics settings and resolution to something low in order to make it run a bit better, but I'm not. The last MMORPG I played with performance problems was back in DAoC days when dial up was the norm, so it was more acceptable back then. It's not acceptable to me now. Take the time to optimize your game right, and people will come. It's a shame too, because the quests were pretty good. The graphics are okay, not as picturesque as I remember, but that could be because objects keep popping in and out of view as I'm riding to an area. Ruins the immersion.
    I have 1080, i-7 7700k, 16GB RAM and run it on Ultra with no issues. The game crashes in Minas Tirith and areas around it, but that is about it.
    Ozmodan[Deleted User]
  • RenfailRenfail Member EpicPosts: 1,638
    nate1980 said:
    I have 1080, i-7 7700k, 16GB RAM and run it on Ultra with no issues. The game crashes in Minas Tirith and areas around it, but that is about it.
    I have a 1080, same processor, 32GB RAM and also run it on Ultra with no issues. My immersion is just fine :) 

Tim "Renfail" Anderson | Wandering Hermits Patreon
  • nate1980nate1980 Member UncommonPosts: 2,063
    Renfail said:
    nate1980 said:
    I have a 1080, same processor, 32GB RAM and also run it on Ultra with no issues. My immersion is just fine :) 

You're not running it at 4k resolution though. Not with that setup. I invested well over $3k to be able to run things at higher resolutions. It makes a world of difference and most older games allow it. I'm not going back to lower resolutions unless a game just simply doesn't support it. LoTRO does support it. Now, you may not be having problems, but I guarantee you if you bring up the topic in World Chat you'd get a lot of people chiming in about the poor optimization and performance of the game and that it's the engines fault. I know, because it was a common topic in world chat a week ago when I started and I chimed in with my experiences. I'm glad you're happy with the game, but to try and diminish the fact that I'm not because of performance issues is like saying I'm not entitled to my experiences. You think I spent time downloading a game, and sub to a game with the goal of not wanting to have a good experience? Get real man.
    OzmodanBeezerbeez
  • ItstimetodealItstimetodeal Member UncommonPosts: 284
    nate1980 said:
    The game doesnt support 4k turn it down to 2k and you wont have an issue. 

Ozmodan[Deleted User]
  • OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726
    Torval said:
    Robsolf said:
    It's crazy how refreshing it's been to set 10 years of stuff aside, and go to these servers. To start from the bottom again, no twinked gear, actually looking forward to quest rewards...

It's the best of both worlds: closer to the original mob challenge level, with all the QoL upgrades. Gotta say, I just might start up my annual sub again, for the first time since Fangorn.

Agree very much about the universal toolkit, even if the only benefit was not having to switch out tools for different crafting jobs. Being account bound thus being able to use it with every alt makes it worth every penny.

I disagree on the Mithril, though. I say, go the other way, cut mithril out entirely. This game was built to be traveled in; another thing I had all but forgotten until recently. Ered Luin is too beautiful a place to fast forward through.
    I think Mithril Coins should be removed from the game entirely. But since they're not going to, and still allow them to be purchased on the server, then I think they should be account wide. That only screws people who've already bought MC on another server, but still allows those with tons of TP to power their way through. It's a small criticism in the bigger picture for me though.

I agree, there shouldn't be any special fast travel (outside of unlocking the route via visiting and repuation), no loot crates, no MC, and a much more limited cash shop.

Remember when you used to have to unlock fast travel routes by first visiting the stable, and then getting the appropriate reputation. MC totally guts that mechanic. Same with unlocking additional trait and LI slots, storage, etc. For Legendary servers this should be "in game" via gold.

If hobbit gifts were just once a day/week with no extra buy-in and they only gave small consumables and buffs, then I wouldn't mind them at all. No gear, mounts, or currencies of ANY kind.

That's just my opinion of course not an ultimatum.
    The problem with traveling is if they want to attract the newer gamer there needs to be an option for them to fast travel.  This new generation is all about instant gratification. Giving them a choice to travel 2000m on a horse to turn in a quest or push the blue button and instant travel chances are they are taking the blue button.  

Vets we are not forced to use the quick travel, I dont and if little Johnny is spending money on the game and using fast travel I'm fine with it.  It doesnt impact my gameplay and hes supporting the game.  
    People who want fast travel everywhere in a game like this are NUTS!!!
    SovrathItstimetodeal
  • OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726
    edited November 2018
    nate1980 said:
    Dear Nate your computer is really messed up.  I can run two clients on a I5 with a 960 at high resolution, one at 2k and the other at 1k.  Either your motherboard/CPU/GPU combo does not work well together or you have serious issues with your software.  It could be drivers too.  Oh and the difference between 4k and 2k is minimal.
    Post edited by Ozmodan on
    laserit
  • laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591
    I Have a 1080ti I7700k with 64GB ram

I run LoTRO and AC Odyssey simultaneously without a hiccup. Like others I'm running 2k

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• DinastyDinasty Member UncommonPosts: 212
    Logged in a few weeks ago.

It's way too dated. Everything about it is just too bleh.
  • ItstimetodealItstimetodeal Member UncommonPosts: 284
    Dinasty said:
    Logged in a few weeks ago.

It's way too dated. Everything about it is just too bleh.
    Not sure how the world can be described as "bleh".. but to each their own...

https://reddit.app.link/LyvXQcZAaS

https://reddit.app.link/2Gwr9z4AaS

https://reddit.app.link/hLEcDN7AaS
    Ozmodan