Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Elder Scrolls: Summerset on steam, does it include Morrowind chapter?

SeelinnikoiSeelinnikoi Member RarePosts: 1,360
Does anyone know if the "Elder Scrolls: Summerset" on steam includes Morrowind chapter?

It says that it includes the base game + summerset chapter.

Now, if you go to the base game page, it says it includes the morrowind chapter.

But in terms of pricing, it seems that it is cheaper to buy Summerset edition as its 15 euros, than to buy the base game for 10 euros + 11 euros for the summerset upgrade.

Can anyone confirm this?

I couldnt post on the forums as you need the game to be able to post, so yeah...

Thanks!
If you are a Star Wars fan, why not try the Star Wars The Old Republic?
New players can get a welcome package and old/returning players can also get a welcome back package and 7 days free subscription time! Just click here to use my referral invitation

Comments

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,351
    The ESO business model is basically that you pay money and then you get something, but not necessarily what you expected.  No one really knows what you'll get except for the person who just bought it seconds ago, and even he might not know because he hasn't tracked down exactly what is enabled or not.  Asking on forums will get you a whole bunch of contradictory answers, in part because what you get for buying a given package constantly changes.

If you want to know what you're going to get ahead of time, you  may need to hire a lawyer to decipher it for you.  I exaggerate, but only a little.  If you want a company that is clearer about what you'll get for your money, then don't touch anything from Zenimax.  They're intentionally confusing, misleading, and deceptive in their claims.
    [Deleted User]SeelinnikoinatpickGorweOctagon7711GaleOmlaxieMyrdynnphoenixfire2
  • SeelinnikoiSeelinnikoi Member RarePosts: 1,360
    OG_Zorvan said:
    No, you'd need to buy it separately. They no longer sell the Morrowind chapter as a whole, you have to buy it from the crown store. It's split into two parts, Morrowind itself, and then the Warden class. Or, if you pay the sub every month, you have access to all the chapters and DLC free. So IF you plan to sub, just get the cheapest base game you can find. 
    Thanks for the reply but, in that edition it does that that it includes the base game.

And the base game includes morrowind.

So, it should include morrowind I guess.

I am finding it hard to get this info as it is not stated anywhere and I been looking over an hour for it.
    New players can get a welcome package and old/returning players can also get a welcome back package and 7 days free subscription time! Just click here to use my referral invitation
  • asdfsdf34534asdfsdf34534 Member UncommonPosts: 52
    Middle aged and mad!
    edited November 2018
    When I bought the base game together with ESO Plus (which promises full access to all DLC content) a few months ago, it included Morrowind but not Summerset.  If you're just getting the base game but not ESO Plus, then I have no clue what you'll get--and unless you find someone who bought it in the last few months, most of the replies you get will from people who don't know, either.  It's also very possible that buying the "same" package through Steam will get you something different from buying it directly from the game's web site.

If you'd like to recap that debacle, the thread is here:

https://forums.mmorpg.com/discussion/475718/bad-first-impressions/p1

The key thing to observe if you slog through all of that is not what this or that person says the business model is.  Rather, it's how many different people confidently assert things that contradict each other, and/or contradict the game's web site.

The short version is that I complained to the game's customer service and they gave me a refund.  Trying to parse their deceptive claims is such a nuisance that I expect that I'll never buy anything from Zenimax again.  But your tolerance for dealing with slimy companies may exceed mine.
    Quizzical said:
    When I bought the base game together with ESO Plus (which promises full access to all DLC content) a few months ago, it included Morrowind but not Summerset.  If you're just getting the base game but not ESO Plus, then I have no clue what you'll get--and unless you find someone who bought it in the last few months, most of the replies you get will from people who don't know, either.  It's also very possible that buying the "same" package through Steam will get you something different from buying it directly from the game's web site.

The key thing to observe if you slog through all of that is not what this or that person says the business model is.  Rather, it's how many different people confidently assert things that contradict each other, and/or contradict the game's web site.

The short version is that I complained to the game's customer service and they gave me a refund.  Trying to parse their deceptive claims is such a nuisance that I expect that I'll never buy anything from Zenimax again.  But your tolerance for dealing with slimy companies may exceed mine.
    You see, that is what I am thinking as well...

It is very shady...

Summerset edition is the summerset DLC and Base game.

Base game has morrowind DLC which is the chapter and the warden class.

So, I assume if you get summerset edition that it includes all these things.

I got it on steam now, but if I log and it is not that, I will refund and mark this company as to avoid anything in the future.
    Quizzical said:

You see, that is what I am thinking as well...

It is very shady...

Summerset edition is the summerset DLC and Base game.

Base game has morrowind DLC which is the chapter and the warden class.

So, I assume if you get summerset edition that it includes all these things.

I got it on steam now, but if I log and it is not that, I will refund and mark this company as to avoid anything in the future.
    Steam customarily says that if you request a refund for a game that you've played for less than two hours and purchased the game less than two weeks ago, it's automatic that they'll give you a refund.  That doesn't necessarily mean that they won't give a refund if you played for more than that, but only that it's automatic that they will if you're below that threshold.

Some people have said that that includes the time to download the game, however, and the ESO download is something like 50 GB, so depending on your Internet connection, that's not guaranteed to finish within two hours.

Regardless, I actually played the game for about three hours or so, and Zenimax still agreed to refund my money when I complained about their false advertising.

Also, you should expect that the game is pretty much the opposite of newbie-friendly.  It will drop you off into the game world with no clue what is going on and very little to tell you what to do or how.  So if something is disabled on your account because you didn't pay enough for it, it could be weeks or months before you even figure out that it was ever part of the game.

The nearest to a tutorial that the game has within the first few hours is the keybinds menu page, which will at least tell you what actions are possible for your character, even if it doesn't necessarily tell you which ones you should care about and why.

The game might actually be good if you can get past that.  Or it might not.  I don't know, as I didn't make it past that.  But I didn't see anything to make me believe that the game itself was terrible.
  • gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    edited November 2018
    No don't assume. Go to e.g. Amazon and check. Read what the ESO website says etc.

It is difficult even if you go to the ESO store - which does list the Morrowind "chapter" as well as the Summerset "chapter" but when you click on the Morrowind ESO store link it took me to the Summerset page but when I clicked on the Amazon link it took me to a Morrowind page.

And the Morrowind crown store page has a Morrowind entry but at the bottom says game not included - its just the ephemerals.

As to what a "chapter" is well initially all DLC was available to people who paid the optional subscription. With Morrowind they decided that this would not be included and subscribers would have to buy it - and that there would be one "chapter" per year. Summerset being the second chapter.

All clear? Fine - except that now Morrowind - which is still described as a chapter is available to subscribers. At least that is what was said in another thread but see below its not what the website says.

I suppose I should mention that there is also even more DLC that is not included in the Collector's Edition! Better yet make another stand alone post.
    Post edited by gervaise1 on
  • AethaerynAethaeryn Member RarePosts: 3,149
    edited November 2018
    There are two different ones. .Summerset   and upgrade for summerset
    If you click on what steam says  Summerset includes. . it takes you to standard edtion and that says includes ESO and Morrowind Chapter.

I would assume from that you get both.

I saw a bundle once that included things I saw once that steam had an expansion and a bundle that included the base game.  The bundle had a steeper discount so it was cheaper than the expansion.  I already had the base game so that was excluded from the cost of the bundle.

The base game is only discounted 50% while the item you are looking at is included and is discounted at 63%. . it is like my example above.  

I will buy it and check maybe :)

Wa min God! Se æx on min heafod is!

edited November 2018
    Some history:

1. ESO launched in April 2014. First came the base game - huge in its own right. There was also an Imperial edition which - basically - gave purchasers a horse, some starter stuff and allowed them to play as an Imperial.

2. A series of content patches whilst it had a mandatory subscription.

3. When the game went subscription free (March 2015) the base game and all content patches up until then were available to anyone who had bought the game.

4. 4 paid DLCs followed: Orsinium, Imperial City, Thieve's Guild, Dark Brotherhood.

5. The game then launched on console (June 2015). At this point a "Gold Edition" launched on multiple platforms. The Gold edition included everything up to the 4th DLC.

6. Even as the Gold Edition launched a "small" 5th DLC was released that added new dungeon content: Shadows of the Hist.

7. The next patches were free to all: first One Tamriel - the anywhere change, do the content in any order plus other changes patch. Then a Housing patch called Homestead.

8. Then we got the is it a DLC is it a chapter no its Morrowind mess.

In another mmorpg thread I am told that Morrowind is available to subscribers - as I buy the content I cannot verify this. The Crown Store page specifically say that DLCs are available to subscribers - but does not say this about chapters - and specifically says that chapters have to be bought at the top of the page. https://www.elderscrollsonline.com/en-us/updates

To make things even more interesting they launched a Morrowind edition which included Morrowind and the original base game + patches that released up to Orsinium. In other words this edition did not have Orsinium, Imperial City, Thieves' Guild, Dark Brotherhood.

9. Another dungeon DLC followed, Horns of the Reach, followed by two further DLCs that added new areas with Clockwork City (hurray!) and Dragonbones. 

10. Then a "chapter" called Sumerset. If I remember correctly Summerset included Morrowind but only for a limited time. So if you see a site that says Summerset includes Morrowind check carefully!

11. And most recently two further DLCs - Murkmire and Wolfhunter.

It may still be possible to buy the original base game although it was rare last time I looked - the Imperial edition probably not. The Gold Edition was still available when I checked. And then the Morrowind edition. And the Summerset edition.

If you have never played and are not sure about it my suggestion would be to search out the cheapest version - usually there are some out there for $10 or less. Don't subscribe - play the game as intended withoout the perks when a sub was mandatory! Hard mode style - which is not that hard and the perks not that significant.

Obviously the Collector's Edition would give you the most complete start and would probably work out cheaper than buying the upgrade packs.

A(nother) word of warning: the upgrade packs upgrade an existing account. A new "base game of whatever version" used to create a new account and would not upgrade an existing account. Not sure whether this is still the case though.

Last word: ESO was a huge game when it launched. By th etime it released on console it was enormous. Today several DLCs and chapters later it is a behemoth. Its quality content as well. Which is not to say that everyone likes it - same as any game some do some don't and the world would be a sadder place if it wasn't so imo.

Post edited by gervaise1 on
    SeelinnikoiOctagon7711
    gervaise1 said:
    Some history:

1. ESO launched in April 2014. First came the base game - huge in its own right. There was also an Imperial edition which - basically - gave purchasers a horse, some starter stuff and allowed them to play as an Imperial.

2. A series of content patches whilst it had a mandatory subscription.

3. When the game went subscription free the base game and all content patches were available to anyone who had bought the game.

4. 4 paid DLCs followed: Orsinium, Imperial City, Thieve's Guild, Dark Brotherhood.

5. The game then launched on console. At this point a "Gold Edition" launched on multiple platforms. The Gold edition included everything up to the 4th DLC.

6. Even as the Gold Edition launched a "small" 5th DLC was released that added new dungeon content: Shadows of the Hist.

7. The next patches were free to all: first One Tamriel - the anywhere change, do the content in any order plus other changes patch. Then a Housing patch called Homestead.

8. Then we got the is it a DLC is it a chapter no its Morrowind mess.

In another mmorpg thread I am told that Morrowind is available to subscribers - as I buy the content I cannot verify this. The Crown Store page specifically say that DLCs are available to subscribers - but does not say this about chapters - and specifically says that chapters have to be bought at the top of the page. https://www.elderscrollsonline.com/en-us/updates

To make things even more interesting they launched a Morrowind edition which included Morrowind and the original base game + patches that released up to Orsinium. In other words this edition did not have Orsinium, Imperial City, Thieves' Guild, Dark Brotherhood.

9. Another dungeon DLC followed, Horns of the Reach, followed by two further DLCs that added new areas with Clockwork City (hurray!) and Dragonbones. 

10. Then a "chapter" called Sumerset. If I remember correctly Summerset included Morrowind but only for a limited time. So if you see a site that says Summerset includes Morrowind check carefully!

11. And most recently two further DLCs - Murkmire and Wolfhunter.

It may still be possible to buy the original base game although it was rare last time I looked - the Imperial edition probably not. The Gold Edition was still available when I checked. And then the Morrowind edition. And the Summerset edition.

If you have never played and are not sure about it my suggestion would be to search out the cheapest version - usually there are some out there for $10 or less. Don't subscribe - play the game as intended withoout the perks when a sub was mandatory! Hard mode style - which is not that hard and the perks not that significant.

Obviously the Collector's Edition would give you the most complete start and would probably work out cheaper than buying the upgrade packs.

A(nother) word of warning: the upgrade packs upgrade an existing account. A new "base game of whatever version" used to create a new account and would not upgrade an existing account. Not sure whether this is still the case though.

Last word: ESO was a huge game when it launched. By th etime it released on console it was enormous. Today several DLCs and chapters later it is a behemoth. Its quality content as well. Which is not to say that everyone likes it - same as any game some do some don't and the world would be a sadder place if it wasn't so imo.

Thank you very much for the indepth explanation.

I got the 15 euro summerset edition which I guess has the base game and summerset, but not morrowind and warden.

I think I will ask a refund and get the base game for 10 dollars and then the 11 dollar upgrade to summerset as it is cheaper than buying morrowind and warden separately.

Also, I have a very old 2014 account with the imperial edition which I barely ever played. Do you think I can link steam account to it?
    edited November 2018
    Update:  Even on the ESO site it describes the "standard edition"  The steam one you are looking at includes the "standard edition".  There is even a "stamp" on the box picture for that edition that says "includes the Morrowind Chapter"  The description reads:

"Includes The Elder Scrolls Online base game and the Morrowind Chapter"

I can see the problem though as it says includes the "base game" Elder Scrolls Online on Steam. . the link goes to the standard version though that isn't just the "base game"  All Steam games that have DLC refer to the "base game" even if that includes expansions.

• SinsaiSinsai Member UncommonPosts: 405
    Quizzical said:

That is because ESO+ does NOT include CHAPTERS(expansions), Summerset IS NOT a DLC but a CHAPTER(expansion).

Now with that said, when a NEW chapter(expansion) launches the previous one is downgraded to a DLC and is then included into ESO+(like Morrowind).

In fact a simple google search yields the answer to the difference between the two here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Elder_Scrolls_Online
    Aethaeryn said:
    Update:  Even on the ESO site it describes the "standard edition"  The steam one you are looking at includes the "standard edition".  There is even a "stamp" on the box picture for that edition that says "includes the Morrowind Chapter"  The description reads:

I can see the problem though as it says includes the "base game" Elder Scrolls Online on Steam. . the link goes to the standard version though that isn't just the "base game"  All Steam games that have DLC refer to the "base game" even if that includes expansions.
    Yeah that is whats confusing.

Base game and standard edition apparently are different things!
    gervaise1 said:
    No don't assume. Go to e.g. Amazon and check. Read what the ESO website says etc.

It is difficult even if you go to the ESO store - which does list the Morrowind "chapter" as well as the Summerset "chapter" but when you click on the Morrowind ESO store link it took me to the Summerset page but when I clicked on the Amazon link it took me to a Morrowind page.

And the Morrowind crown store page has a Morrowind entry but at the bottom says game not included - its just the ephemerals.

As to what a "chapter" is well initially all DLC was available to people who paid the optional subscription. With Morrowind they decided that this would not be included and subscribers would have to buy it - and that there would be one "chapter" per year. Summerset being the second chapter.

All clear? Fine - except that now Morrowind - which is still described as a chapter is available to subscribers. At least that is what was said in another thread but see below its not what the website says.

I suppose I should mention that there is also even more DLC that is not included in the Collector's Edition! Better yet make another stand alone post.
    For most games, it would be good advice to go to the game's site and check.  But that breaks down when you're dealing with a shady company that designs its web site to intentionally deceive potential players about what various packages have.
    Aethaeryn said:

Oh well I bought it and am downloading now. . then when I run it I can link to my existing account. . The only problem then is that all future expansions etc. and even ESO plus have to be purchased through Steam. . which is . . okay I guess.  

I'll be able to confirm soon enough . . whoa   77.9GB. . I'll know in about 2 hours :)

Sinsai said:
    Quizzical said:

That is because ESO+ does NOT include CHAPTERS(expansions), Summerset IS NOT a DLC but a CHAPTER(expansion).

Now with that said, when a NEW chapter(expansion) launches the previous one is downgraded to a DLC and is then included into ESO+(like Morrowind).

In fact a simple google search yields the answer to the difference between the two here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Elder_Scrolls_Online
    Except that it does include Morrowind, which is also officially a chapter and not a DLC game pack.  They did make Morrowind included with ESO Plus at some point, but as of today, it's officially listed on their web site as a chapter and not a "DLC game pack".  Read for yourself if you don't believe me:

https://www.elderscrollsonline.com/en-us/updates

And by conventional English usage, chapters, expansions, and any other creatively different name they might come up with in the future are all game packs of downloadable content.  Maybe some lawyers convinced them that they've found some loophole where promising "full access to all DLC game packs" doesn't have to match the ordinary English meaning of the words.  But that's the sort of malicious deception that a reputable company simply wouldn't do.
    Seelinnikoi
    edited November 2018
    Aethaeryn said:
    Aethaeryn said:

Oh well I bought it and am downloading now. . then when I run it I can link to my existing account. . The only problem then is that all future expansions etc. and even ESO plus have to be purchased through Steam. . which is . . okay I guess.  

I'll be able to confirm soon enough . . whoa   77.9GB. . I'll know in about 2 hours :)
    It appears that there is no DLC in steam left for me to purchase. and by that I mean "DLC" from steams perspective. :). . 

Torval said:
    Aethaeryn said:
    Aethaeryn said:

That's not true, unless it's recently changed. Steam, as a store front, only recognizes ownership of titles it's sold to you even if your accounts are linked. I can and have purchased things directly from ZoS.

For example I bought Morrowind from ZoS. I didn't have ESO installed through Steam because at the time install patch process was somewhat broken and totally stupid. When that got "fixed" I reinstalled through Steam, but I didn't own Morrowind according to Steam. When I logged in I could still play Morrowind content because as far as ZoS was concerned I did own it.

Later when Summerset released I bought it through Steam. The bundle deal at the time included Morrowind. So now Steam thinks I own Morrowind and nothing on the ZoS side changed at all. The only downside being that the bundle deal wasn't as sweet because I already owned the content.

I would recommend only buying through Steam though because it's an easy to reference visual reminder of what you own and don't.
    So you had a PC account with some DLCs and then you bought the base game again on steam to have it on steam, and they "merged" your PC dlcs with steam dlcs and you use the same account?
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    This again? :)

Yeah with ESO and their "fun with synonyms" plus all the different versions available from them and 3rd party vendors, you really, really have to read carefully and even then you still might get something other than what you thought you were getting.

Long story short... it seems that their model is that each yearly "chapter" gets demoted to DLC status when the next year's chapter is released but in the case of Morrowind's demotion they carved out the Warden class and split it off from the zone as a separate purchase for those who buy the Morrowind DLC individually with crowns (Warden is normally 1500 crowns but is currently on sale for 1050, BTW.)

But to complicate matters, as part of their promotion for selling the Summerset chapter, they included the full Morrowind chapter (Warden included) as a pre-order bonus and later on just kept including it as a bonus on SOME BUT NOT ALL of their "editions" after Summerset's launch.

And then there is how their sub, "ESO +" works. If you sub you get access to all DLC during the time you're subbed. However any chapters that are still deemed chapters are not included in that.
    Gorwe
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

<snip>

I got the 15 euro summerset edition which I guess has the base game and summerset, but not morrowind and warden.

I think I will ask a refund and get the base game for 10 dollars and then the 11 dollar upgrade to summerset as it is cheaper than buying morrowind and warden separately.

Also, I have a very old 2014 account with the imperial edition which I barely ever played. Do you think I can link steam account to it?
    See @Torval 's comments above about Steam and ESO - I don't play through Steam - they didn't work well together. From Torval's comments though it sounds that things have changed and if log into ESO via Steam ESO will recognise what you have bought even if Steam doesn't. Used to mess up if you had "two copies" of the base game!

One further point: have you tried logging on to your Imperial edition account? Maybe direct. When ESO went b2p people who owned the game prior to that point in time were allocated some crowns. I think there was a base number that increased depending on how many months subscribed (remember 30 days included with initial purchase so at least 1). Not sure whether it varied by edition.  
    gervaise1 said:
    <snip>

See @Torval 's comments above about Steam and ESO - I don't play through Steam - they didn't work well together. From Torval's comments though it sounds that things have changed and if log into ESO via Steam ESO will recognise what you have bought even if Steam doesn't. Used to mess up if you had "two copies" of the base game!

One further point: have you tried logging on to your Imperial edition account? Maybe direct. When ESO went b2p people who owned the game prior to that point in time were allocated some crowns. I think there was a base number that increased depending on how many months subscribed (remember 30 days included with initial purchase so at least 1). Not sure whether it varied by edition.  
    Thanks, it is at 92% as we speak, the direct PC version that is.

I will find out in a bit :)

It is a shame that they have to resort to these things. By the way, that demoted to DLC thing is not happening as Morrowind is still called a chapter in their website: https://www.elderscrollsonline.com/en-us/updates

Talk about being confuzzled! (confused and puzzled lol)
    gervaise1 said:
    <snip>

Thanks, it is at 92% as we speak, the direct PC version that is.

I will find out in a bit :)

It is a shame that they have to resort to these things. By the way, that demoted to DLC thing is not happening as Morrowind is still called a chapter in their website: https://www.elderscrollsonline.com/en-us/updates

Talk about being confuzzled! (confused and puzzled lol)

It's weird that they haven't even bothered to update Morrowind's status on their own website but where some see deception I just see incompetence :)
    gervaise1[Deleted User]
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

An honest company would just make a table that explained exactly what is included in each version, as well as in ESO Plus.  Then there would be no confusion.  But Zenimax is not an honest company, so they didn't.
    laxieGorwekitarad
    Quizzical said:
    An honest company would just make a table that explained exactly what is included in each version, as well as in ESO Plus.  Then there would be no confusion.  But Zenimax is not an honest company, so they didn't.
    I don't disagree that they sometimes are duplicitous with their spin. I absolutely distrust anything that comes out of Pete Hines' mouth and the whole "chapter" thing is, IMO, a disgraceful spin on what honestly happened: they changed their business model of having all DLC included with ESO+ to having all but one per year included and they called that one exception a "chapter."

However you can be both duplicitous and incompetent. One doesn't cancel out the other.

If ZOS and Bethesda have a secret corporate motto, they have proven over and over that this motto is "Meh, that's good enough." Their QC is atrocious and so is their attention to detail. I really don't think the confusion over versions and packages is deliberate - it's just how they roll.

[Deleted User][Deleted User]

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

• laxielaxie Member RarePosts: 1,118
    If you have to read several pages of forum threads just to know what expansion you're buying, they sure fucked up somewhere.
    Quizzical