Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Love it, but Top Down view ?...Claustrophobia as a feature !

delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081
edited July 2018 in Legends of Aria
I understand it's a remake of first generation Ultima Online... Fantastic ! 

Two things I would like to point out with first generation: 
- It's a sub category of a style of play within mmorpg's 
- Unfortunately, technology tends to be outdated. 

Top Down gameplay could be charming, but in an mmorpg ? 
I understand their motives to make a modern game that stands true to a classic.  But using limitations of technology for it's time as a feature...I have to say, really !!!  

Most all YouTubes are solo play.  
That tends to be annoying enough.  Add a party of five and you have full annoying.  Where is your party if your spread out ?.. Are they under attack, will you have "other party member pointers" on the edge of your screen.  Remember the CAMERA FOLLOWS YOU.  Should you help a player out that's off the screen ?

Using Claustrophobia for exploring and intrigue with limited view (like fog of war) in video games leaves the player with the feeling of being jumped and causes the player to think fast.  

This feature is often part of hack-and-slash gamming....Will it work in modern mmorpg's. 
Maybe, what do you think ?  

Later I found this:
- Look how thigh their staying together as a group. Are they improvising for the audience ?  
- They seem annoyed by something without actually stating the obvious. 
- At certain points their attacking monsters off the screen.  Even if in view, other players may view the target off screen.
(Best watched 1/4 way in): 

Post edited by delete5230 on

Comments

• NazloklessNazlokless Member UncommonPosts: 40
    Ok horses in dungeons that's weird. do you fight all the time on horseback?
    KrematorymrputtspostlarvalKyleran
  • delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081
    I found this interesting,
    If you go to their web site, their screen shots "are not top down", but normal 3D view, that doesn't reflect the actual game play. 

https://www.legendsofaria.com/screenshots/
  • btdtbtdt Member RarePosts: 523
    If you go to their web site, their screen shots "are not top down", but normal 3D view, that doesn't reflect the actual game play. 

That would be because some are screen shots are not in game screen shots.  Developers can use any angle and any rendering tools they like with the assets... the game itself, cannot.
    btdt said:

That would be because some are screen shots are not in game screen shots.  Developers can use any angle and any rendering tools they like with the assets... the game itself, cannot.
    Absolutely, and I agree.

Just making the point, they seem aware of ramifications of their top down feature by making screen shots different.  
  • bonzoso21bonzoso21 Member UncommonPosts: 380
    My experience playing MMOs has always tended to be of the more mainstream, western-developed variety, but I was always under the impression that there are tons of isometric MMOs out there in the Asian market. I played co-op Neverwinter Nights at LAN parties 15 years back or so and never had an issue, so I wouldn't think group play in an isometric MMO would be that big of deal. With crazy fight mechanics, constant AoE and UIs that take up half the screen space, I think most people pull their camera back super far in a lot of MMOs anyway, and may as well be playing a top-down game at that point. 
    kjempff
    bonzoso21 said:
    My experience playing MMOs has always tended to be of the more mainstream, western-developed variety, but I was always under the impression that there are tons of isometric MMOs out there in the Asian market. I played co-op Neverwinter Nights at LAN parties 15 years back or so and never had an issue, so I wouldn't think group play in an isometric MMO would be that big of deal. With crazy fight mechanics, constant AoE and UIs that take up half the screen space, I think most people pull their camera back super far in a lot of MMOs anyway, and may as well be playing a top-down game at that point. 
    I don't think many players put their camera top down and zoomed.

It doesn't seem to have that option to zoom out and angled in Legends of Aria.  It seems like it's their feature. 

Notice in the OP video, players seem to be annoyed without actually saying it. 

I hope developers can take feed back well and change....Unless it's just me :(
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,263
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• TokkenTokken Member EpicPosts: 3,549
    edited November 2018
    At the beginning of the video isn't that the UO theme?  Can they use UO's music based on copyright / trademark laws?

The camera view and horses in the dungeon....... make me wish I didn't invest in the game.   The game is currently a shell of the UO game..... they still have a lot of development to do. .... thus EA

Proud MMORPG.com member since March 2004!  Make PvE GREAT Again!

• VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888
    Tokken said:
    At the beginning of the video isn't that the UO theme?  Can they use UO's music based on copyright / trademark laws?
    They can't use UO's music, but with music like that there's always about 50%/50% chance whether it's UO's music at all or some old classical piece that everyone is free to use.

• mgilbrtsnmgilbrtsn Member EpicPosts: 3,430
    I've been playing during this last beta before launch and I gotta say I am pleasantly surprised at how much I'm enjoying it.  It definitely has its flaws, but it has that 'it' factor for me.  As far as the isometric view goes, I think it's fine.  Just something to get used to like anything else.

I self identify as a monkey.

• RosenborgRosenborg Member UncommonPosts: 162
    Vrika said:
    Tokken said:
    They can't use UO's music, but with music like that there's always about 50%/50% chance whether it's UO's music at all or some old classical piece that everyone is free to use.
    That indeed is music from UO.

It's not an official vid made by the devs though.
    Scot
    I'm all for dated graphics, I care about gameplay. I could even play top down.  

BUT CLAUSTROPHOBIA ?.... half the fighters are off the screen and don't even see what their fighting.  The other half don't even see their group on the same screen ! 

Developers don't see this ?..... Maybe if they take a vacation from being closeminded and return they will realize they need to overhaul EVERYTHING.
  • kjempffkjempff Member RarePosts: 1,759
    edited November 2018
    Vutar said:
    I gave open beta a try and the top down camera will keep me from playing it. If not for that there is a good chance i would play it. I like the premise of the game, but that camera drives me crazy. I want to see in front of me. I want to be immersed in the game. That camera makes me want to log out and never play it again. 

I am all for returning to the genre's roots. However, when it comes to camera placement they are better off sticking with the 2nd generation of MMORPGS, like EQ1 or Asheron's Call. 
    What I do is turn on wasd movement and then "always" keep the camera in direction I am facing. That feels most natural to me. Maybe a auto "behind" camera movement toggle option would be nice ? I mean you def want to be able to move the camera independently so it has to be a toggle. 

As for the claustrophobia comments.. I don't get what the problem is really. The only issue I have is the lack of proper clipping so the view gets blocked by buildings and trees, but I am sure that is in the works to be fixed.

As for not being able to see your party members, well you can zoom out really far so that is more like something to get used to and stick together. But it would sure help with some QoL such as big arrows pointing in the direction of group members when they go out of view.
    Post edited by kjempff on
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955
    I would not call this claustrophobia, but some of the camera angles did seem a little odd.