Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Diablo 4 IS in Development, But It's Not Been an Easy Journey According to Sources - MMORPG.com

Comments

• ceratop001ceratop001 Member RarePosts: 1,594
    I get the sense the article was definitely citing real information. Greed has infiltrated Blizzard and quality of the games could be infected. Seems like people at Blizzard just want to make great games, but they are being pressured by the bean counters. I think a decision needs to be made. The relationship with Activision is not working.
    GorweSolancerMrMelGibsoninfomatzMensur

• GraeyGraey Member UncommonPosts: 281

I hate Activision now. I wish Titan would of happened. Blizzard seems so complicated and pressured by Activision. I hope it doesn't ruin the company.

Don't you mean, I hope it doesn't ruin the company further.
    ceratop001GorweNildenLeiHngWeiTuor7
  • ItstimetodealItstimetodeal Member UncommonPosts: 284
    SBFord said:
    In the world of "Journalism" today it's hard for me to hold any stock in an article that claims to have anonymous sources. Kotaku is a bunch of hacks pushing clickbait most of the time.
    When they finally get around to announcing D4, I'll come back to "BOOYAH" this thread. It is being developed. The details and the whens are all that we don't know yet. No one can convince me otherwise. Story's very plausible.
    Well it's a good thing they added this to cover their ass cause they are full of it..

"Fenris is not likely to be seen before 2020 or later and much will change in time."    

So I cant come back and "BOOYAH" you on every detail of this "article" except D4.  
    SBFord
  • ceratop001ceratop001 Member RarePosts: 1,594
    Graey said:

I hate Activision now. I wish Titan would of happened. Blizzard seems so complicated and pressured by Activision. I hope it doesn't ruin the company.

Don't you mean, I hope it doesn't ruin the company further.
    Yes that is basically what I mean't. Once greed becomes the driving force it is basically over.
    MrMelGibsonTuor7

• NephethNepheth Member RarePosts: 473

Xarko said:

Something tells me a lot will change when it comes to Blizzard between now and 2020.

Sovrath said:

"the team felt that art style had not hit the mark in D3 and now the aim was to "make it gross, make it dark and get rid of anything that was considered cartoony in D3".

Hell yeah!

If this conversation happened in 2016, I wonder why the hell does their 2018 mobile game looks cartoony exactly like D3.

Because their main market for the mobile game is China which is the land of cencorship? I don't think it is a smart move to create a dark, bloody game if you wanna make money in China. Even a game like Rainbow Six had to change tons of stuff in the game for the Chinese market like blood stains, skulls etc ..
    SBFordPanther2103jimmywolfinfomatzPonku
  • WhiteLanternWhiteLantern Member RarePosts: 3,310

SBFord said:

In the world of "Journalism" today it's hard for me to hold any stock in an article that claims to have anonymous sources. Kotaku is a bunch of hacks pushing clickbait most of the time.

When they finally get around to announcing D4, I'll come back to "BOOYAH" this thread. It is being developed. The details and the whens are all that we don't know yet. No one can convince me otherwise. Story's very plausible.

The only thing in the article worth your time is the part about D4 being in development. Save your "booyah" for better stuff; none of this will ever be proven.
    SBFordXingbairongMensur

I want a mmorpg where people have gone through misery, have gone through school stuff and actually have had sex even. -sagil

• SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
    SBFord said:

The only thing in the article worth your time is the part about D4 being in development. Save your "booyah" for better stuff; none of this will ever be proven.
    Some of y'all are so crabby right on the brink of a holiday but I shall not be dragged into curmudgeonliness! I have turkey and fixins' waiting for me! :D
    CryomatrixGobstopper3DCazrielThupli[Deleted User]infomatzMensurceratop001Celcius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Another ARPG incoming,we need that like we need over cooked turkey and dry stuffing.

Let me know when Blizzard can step up with the big boys and make a game that LOOKS modern and is robust as Wow but better and with immersion.
    They have yet to accomplish that in what 30 years of existence and with a huge bankroll,so what is the holdup? 
    AeanderTacticalZombeh

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• XingbairongXingbairong Member RarePosts: 927
    Are people really that gullible. This is obvious BS that they are taking out of their asses to stop the drop of their stocks and it seems that it has worked. Seriously they can say anything since they give you few years in the future possible release. For all we know they aren't developing nothing, but in the next few years they will...
    JeffSpicolimike32927mklinicSolancerMensurTuor7Celcius
  • KajidourdenKajidourden Member EpicPosts: 3,030
    And by that time there will be better options.
    SolancerinfomatzMensur
  • goozmaniagoozmania Member RarePosts: 394
    Whatever they come up with; I'm sure it'll be terrible. They simply can't make games anymore.
    Mensur
  • FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,967
    Can you imagine if they released D4 and it was like Dark Souls? The blow back would have been probably worse than Diablo Immortal.

Fenris seemed like the right direction with darker/gritty design, but they probably would have funked all that up with whatever they had planned to make it more like Destiny.

Regardless, all these attempts to "BUT GUYS! WE WERE GOING TO ANNOUNCE D4 WE SWEAR!" are funny.

Meanwhile I saw some video with a former Diablo dev talking about how the employees are getting absolutely shat on with their pay, due to removal of revenue share. Ouchie.

"As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • WhiteLanternWhiteLantern Member RarePosts: 3,310

SBFord said:

SBFord said:

Some of y'all are so crabby right on the brink of a holiday but I shall not be dragged into curmudgeonliness! I have turkey and fixins' waiting for me! :D

Maybe I am crabby, but I prefer realist. Besides, I've been working on tomorrow's feast for 4 days.
    SBFord

I want a mmorpg where people have gone through misery, have gone through school stuff and actually have had sex even. -sagil

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    I must be one of the few who doesn't care if there's ever a Diablo 4. The Diablo news I was hoping to hear was all about a new full-fledged MMORPG based on Diablo. Anything else about Diablo is just noise to me.
    MadFrenchieMensur
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• CazrielCazriel Member RarePosts: 419

Wizardry said:

Another ARPG incoming,we need that like we need over cooked turkey and dry stuffing.

Let me know when Blizzard can step up with the big boys and make a game that LOOKS modern and is robust as Wow but better and with immersion.
    They have yet to accomplish that in what 30 years of existence and with a huge bankroll,so what is the holdup? 

Nobody said nuthin' about an ARPG. You're projecting.

"The team wants Fenris to be more social "taking inspiration from Destiny to add "light MMO elements" including a hub location."

So they are now looking at a lobby shooter for inspiration.

Remember, nobody at Blizzard has EVER made an RPG, so even if they claim it's an RPG, it won't be.
  • sayuusayuu Member RarePosts: 766
    edited November 2018
    "The team wants Fenris to be more social "taking inspiration from Destiny to add "light MMO elements" including a hub location"

you mean like Path of Exile?
    MadFrenchie3domkjempffTacticalZombehAyin
  • ananitananit Member RarePosts: 293
    blizzard north is no more and thus any hope for a good blizzard arpg, though i'd love to be proven wrong.
    everyone involved with the success of diablo 1 & 2 has left the company a long time ago and that's why we got diablo 3.
    it's not that bleak though, from the ashes of blizzard north we got the torchlight series and the brief surge of decent arpg fun (at least for me) when brevik was at gazillion for marvel heroes.
    and thanks goodness for GGG and path of exile.
  • gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    edited November 2018

SBFord said:

Aeander said:

The question here is when. This game should be well into development by now. It should have been ready for reveal, unless Blizzard has shifted to a Bethesda-esque reveal months before release strategy. 

It should have never have come down to 4 years of borderline maintenance mode for Diablo 3 with a bleak horizon.

It said in the main article. >:) 2020 or later barring another cancellation. ;)

I don't read that in the article. 2020 or later is a definite in the sense that it suggests there is a target date (2020) and whilst it might slip things are underway full steam ahead.

"Not likely to see it before 2020 if not later" is far less definitive. Now maybe I am nitpicking but added to the lack of an announcement at Blizzcon plus no announcement afterwards - despite all the negativity. If 2020 was the target release - even if it was a soft date - I think they would have said.

My take based on comments like "much will change" and "monetization not decided" sugest that currently D4 is only in the "pre-development" or "concept" stage. Still counts as development!

So what is pre-development vs. full development?

Pre-development: smallish team of people, probably a few dozen experienced folk, working on the ideas, art style, concepts, monetization etc. as well as staffing profiles, budgets, schedules, profit projections and what-if analysiss.

What if we have 50 more people working on it - how much sooner would it release, at what cost. What if we don't include X will there be enough content, how much money would it save. Options galore will be looked at. And there will be meetings and presentations; lots of them. Only when AB are "happy" will they move to the next stage.

And even that won't be "full development" since they will want to see how it will stack up with their other games. Yes they could go and hire a brand new team and sack people on other teams when their work comes to an end but the better way is talk to all their game leads and try and work things out as best they can. Less messy and its cheaper.

And my take - and I could be wrong but (based on my experience) I'm not sure they have moved to full development. At least not at Blizzcon. Maybe they expected to and that was to be the big announcement.

Tuor7
  • Rockinw311Rockinw311 Member UncommonPosts: 147
    Xarko said:

If this conversation happened in 2016, I wonder why the hell does their 2018 mobile game looks cartoony exactly like D3.
    Their 2018 mobile game looks cartoony, exactly like D3, because their 2018 mobile game IS D3  :D

• NildenNilden Member EpicPosts: 3,916
    TimEisen said:
    Also, how in the blue heck did they not see that Bcon backlash coming? Have they really lost touch with their base that much?

Image result for do you not have phones

Yes. They have lost touch completely. All they see is dollar signs for mobile. Blizzard of old is long dead and gone.

No King lives forever.
    ScotTuor7

"You CAN'T buy ships for RL money." - MaxBacon

"classification of games into MMOs is not by rational reasoning" - nariusseldon

Love Minecraft. And check out my Youtube channel OhCanadaGamer

Try a MUD today at http://www.mudconnect.com/ 

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,985
    edited November 2018
    I heard they hired George R R Martin to help flesh out the story and he will get to it as soon as he finishes writing The Winds of Winter and A Dream of Spring.

That's currently looks like sometime between 2026 and when Hell Freezes Over.
    gervaise1ConstantineMerusXingbairong[Deleted User]PhryNilden[Deleted User]Scot[Deleted User]TacticalZombehand 1 other.

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• SamhaelSamhael Member RarePosts: 1,498
    D3 looked and felt nothing like the original or sequel. I still feel ripped off. I rushed through once and uninstalled. If Fenris is back to the feel of the first couple, that might be enough to lure me back to check it out. But I'd probably wait for a demo since I don't really trust Blizzard's standards of quality due to the last several years.
  • SolancerSolancer Member UncommonPosts: 121
    Just my opinion, the incoming ARPG is more or less refer to Lost Ark, its might be sooner than D4 and if it does come to the West it will probably soak up the A-RPG fans. And please ppl in general, the RPG or any other terms are all loosely use, don't need to be PC about it.

I'm sorry to say Blizzard were never the wow sort of game dev XDD muahhahaha, they only take whats good out of the many many games ideas and weld the bits and pieces to create a game. Lack a better term refine pieces ores into gold. Blizz is really good at refining while Beth is really good at recycling xDDD hahahha all lead to failure in the long run and it shows now does it?

So if nothing coming from Blizzard or Bethesda or any of our favo there might be new ones taking their place. Trend following or copying the old or money driven game design will NOT make good games in the long run. Its very apparent to me the game devs are all force to create gambling addiction slot machines that we been seeing and experiencing in the last 10 years or so. All we can do is vote with our wallet, it sounds lame, but what else can we do? MAKE our own games XDD?

It seems to me without competition is why Blizzard is failing, probably due to lack of creative games out about XDDD no new concept to steal . . . er refine I mean refine ppl. >_>'
  • VhayneVhayne Member UncommonPosts: 632
    Not believing shit until an official announcement is released. So many people (youtubers) and gaming news sites just trying to keep their traffic going on the train that is the diablo immortal debacle. They will say and do anything to keep you going to their sites/videos. Pathetic.
  • MrMelGibsonMrMelGibson Member EpicPosts: 3,033
    Aeander said:
    Albatroes said:
    This whole thing is like watching them put out a forest fire with a water hose.....Given how Titan ended up, I wont be surprised if this whole thing ends up being a BR with a Diablo setting. They are trying to reach a younger and more diverse demographic after all....
    Diablo 4 is going to be a dating simulator in the Diablo universe. It will be called Dream Demon.
    I bet it will be Dream Demon dad. A sequel to this game.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/930020/Dream_Daddy_A_Dad_Dating_Comic_Book/
    SBFordceratop001